PDA

View Full Version : A little composition of my own

ImmunityBow
06-22-11, 09:00 AM
Yeah, so it's 5 AM where I am and I finally finished a composition due for tomorrow, so I thought I might as well get some feedback, even though it won't really matter. A little explanation:

The project is a research project where we have to combine something and music (like math and music or physics and music) and compose something based on our research. I combined storytelling and music, focusing on character leitmotifs (recurring themes that come for each character).

Unfortunately, the piece is pretty short, so there's only so much I can do with it. But it's telling a story so give it a listen and tell me if you can follow along.

The piece is called Till Death. Download it here:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20468570/Till+Death.wav

It begins with the hero of the story, (the Horn in F) introducing him and his theme, then his best friend (the Cornet). As friends, their themes intermingle and they play together until who would come along but a beautiful young maiden (the Flute). Each of them takes their turn wooing her, when suddenly, bam! The best friend stabs the hero in the back. The hero fights back, calling back to the times they spent together, but while he is in the middle of reminiscing, the rival stabs him once more, and mocks him as his limps around and finally falls to the floor, dead.

Tyrannigon64
06-22-11, 02:07 PM
I really really like it! I actually think it sounds like something that could be used for one of the cities in Topaz. At least the first part, anyways (before the hero gets stabbed).

ImmunityBow
06-23-11, 01:11 AM
When I presented it today, I got commendations for technically strong counterpoint, a strong emotional base and for using the leitmotifs well! What a relief, nothing left to do for the entire year. =)

Especially since I've never learned counterpoint... Thanks, glad you like it.