PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia eating

Cranky Guy
12-02-11, 07:34 PM
As anyone who saw my post on the Intro/farewell topic, I am currently in Malaysia. As far I know, I've been eating and eating and eating throughout my vacation, Around 8 times a day! And I'm growing fat. Two pounds in one day. But it's worth it. I'm gonna be taking pictures all the food I see and show them here so you guys can drool.

Here's breakfast, on my first day.

Nasi lemak. Nothing describes this thing. The rice, somehow tasty. The chicken, perfect. the nuts, goes great with the rice. The "Ikan Bilis", Adds saltiness to the dish. And the spicy "sambal", as they call it binds it all together for a great taste. It's deliciously delicious. for 4 ringgit= 1 dollar and quarter.

On the way to our destination, we stopped for a "snack" at a restaraunt-ish stall. We saw a guy making "roti canais".

The end result of above

The other plates with food contain fried chicken, malay style, and fish curry. It was quite good, although none compared to NASI LEMAK.

I'll update more tomorrow.

ImmunityBow
12-03-11, 10:07 AM
I LOVE Nasi lemak and roti canai (or roti prata as they call it in Singapore).

I can explain nasi lemak a little better. Nasi lemak means "fat rice" or "oil rice," because the main part of the dish is rice cooked with a special coconut oil mix, which is what makes it delicious. Sometimes it will be green, in which case there is pandan extract added to it, an umami-full leaf used a lot in south-east Asian cooking. In all honesty all you need is the nasi, or rice, and the sambal, which is spicy shrimp paste, and they you wrap it up in a banana leaf and that's a breakfast right there. Popular added ingredients are hard-boiled egg, ikan bilis, which are anchovies, and peanuts. Chicken is less common but not unusual. It is awesome and cheap.

Roti is probably my second favourite dish in the world, how did you like it?

Cranky Guy
12-03-11, 08:36 PM
I love the roti canai, with the curry and everything. And moving on to my day.

After the snack, we were on the road, but something managed to stop my dad from driving. At the side of the road, there were........
Durians. I don't actually 'like' this fruit, but I don't hate it either. Something bout the smell, I guess. The durians....... looked like durians. They were really sweet and creamy, but as I said, the smell....... is rather unattractive.

There were also another fruit that was quite peculiar. The guy selling them called them pulasan,(poo-la-san) and they were very sweet, rather like large rambutans with spiny shells. Don't have any pics though. Srry bout that.