PDA

View Full Version : Tangela

Black Temple Gaurdian
01-04-10, 02:42 PM
Post ideas for Tangela here.

locoroco1
08-12-10, 09:04 PM
Tangela are constantly shrouded in vines. If startled or threatened, a Tangela will lash out wildly at it's opponent with it's vines, then flee while they are in shock.

NyteFyre
08-13-10, 03:33 AM
A little generic...Anything you can come up with that relates to how they interact with/coexist with humans?

locoroco1
08-13-10, 06:05 AM
Tangela's vines are extremely regenerative. They are farmed by humans for leashes and cords. There have been rumors of new Tangela growing from disembodied vines.

locoroco1
08-13-10, 06:18 AM
Considered dangerous to children, wild Tangela are rarely seen around residential areas. If children draw to close, they will become entangled in the Tangela's vines and choke.

Cyndadile
08-13-10, 01:21 PM
Dark.

ImmunityBow
08-13-10, 07:45 PM
They're pretty close to Pallet Town though... Not every Pokemon has to be based around interacting with humans. Hunting habits and such work fine as well. The former is just a theme that we've been having that is kind of nice.

To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. Though fragile, these vines produce a beautiful sound as strings on a violin.

locoroco1
08-14-10, 01:25 AM
To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. The vines continue to move and thrash even after they are seperated from the Tangela for a short period.

Also, there's an invincible fence barrier there and an ocean seperating them from the town.

ImmunityBow
03-18-11, 04:36 PM
To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly since there is no need to devote resources to making them strong.

For the above, when the Tangela is turned to TANGELA, there are definite length issues.

zeroality
03-18-11, 06:08 PM
To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly since they have no need to be sturdy.

Shortens it considerably. Might be a little awkward but I think it works, or at least is a step in the right direction.

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-18-11, 06:21 PM
TANGELA uses their vines as an all-purpose tool in day-to-day life. Because of high breakage chances, TANGELA vines regrow at an amazing rate.

Is picturing a Tangela using its vines as a swingshot.

zeroality
03-18-11, 06:28 PM
I liked the concept we were going with.

To escape predators, TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. Due to this fact, they regrow at an amazing rate.

The second part of your entry gave me a good idea though. I think that works well now. I also removed 'loose' from the first sentence as it was a bit nonsensical and added on a layer of redundancy.

Blade Flight
03-18-11, 06:58 PM
Is picturing a Tangela using its vines as a swingshot.

Sling, not swing,lol.

ImmunityBow
03-18-11, 07:10 PM
I actually like Zero's

To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly since they have no need to be sturdy.

the best actually. The two sentences make sense with each other, and it's nice and succinct, while still being flavourful.

Cyndadile
03-18-11, 07:41 PM
To escape predators, TANGELA's loose, brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They have no need to be sturdy, so they can regrow quickly.

Reworded? Sentance 2 seems less awkword to me this way.

zeroality
03-18-11, 08:29 PM
In this context, "so they can regrow quickly" implies that's the reason they have no need to be sturdy.

I actually think IB's version is better, even if it is a bit wordy. I see we're using "loose" anyway. >_>

Irot_Rebod
03-18-11, 08:49 PM
I vote for IB's as of right now... but I would agree with zero about dropping "loose"... "brittle" provides enough flavor as is, in my opinion.

Cyndadile
03-18-11, 09:19 PM
I vote for IB's as of right now... but I would agree with zero about dropping "loose"... "brittle" provides enough flavor as is, in my opinion.

NyteFyre
03-18-11, 09:36 PM
What The above said.

ImmunityBow
03-18-11, 10:43 PM
To escape predators, TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly since there is no need to devote resources toward making them strong.

How about "to" versus "toward" or "towards"? Ignore length for this purpose, we're within the limit either way.

Reliability
03-18-11, 10:51 PM
TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. Any adaptation to make them stronger is not needed, as the vines regrow quickly to replace any that are lost.

I feel like this is worded less awkwardly.

Irot_Rebod
03-18-11, 10:56 PM
TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. Any adaptation to make them stronger is not needed, as the vines regrow quickly to replace any that are lost.

I feel like this is worded less awkwardly.

This.

ImmunityBow
03-18-11, 10:58 PM
That's a different concept altogether. My idea was that the vines are brittle since Tangela doesn't spend nutrients towards increasing their fibre density. Because their fibre density is low, they regrow quickly. All of these combine to make the vines a great escaping mechanism.

Reli's seems more like "The vines are a great escaping mechanism. Tangela would make them stronger, but it's not necessary, because they regrow quickly." This doesn't make too much sense though. If they were stronger they would be a bad escaping mechanism.

Cyndadile
03-18-11, 11:17 PM
That's a different concept altogether. My idea was that the vines are brittle since Tangela doesn't spend nutrients towards increasing their fibre density. Because their fibre density is low, they regrow quickly. All of these combine to make the vines a great escaping mechanism.

I feel like there is a way to use some of this to strengthen your entry (adding in something about nutrients or fibre density), but I can't figure out how. I like your wording better than Reli's though, for the reason that you stated.

Irot_Rebod
03-18-11, 11:30 PM

Reli's seems more like "The vines are a great escaping mechanism. Tangela would make them stronger, but it's not necessary, because they regrow quickly." This doesn't make too much sense though. If they were stronger they would be a bad escaping mechanism.

When I read Reli's, I got the impression that the Tangela itself doesn't make the vines stronger because it knows that they are a better escape mechanism being brittle - hence why I like his entry a bit more. That, and it is slightly less wordy.

Reliability
03-19-11, 12:21 AM
I didn't really understand what you were getting at until you explained it, so I though mine meant pretty much the same thing. I found "waste resources" to be confusing. If you want to make it more clear, I think the second sentence needs to mention fibre density.

ImmunityBow
03-19-11, 04:15 AM
How about:

To escape predators, TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly afterward due to their low fibre density.

(EDIT: Okay, I'll admit that I went into this post thinking it'd be a lot more complicated than that.)

zeroality
03-19-11, 06:45 AM
I think we can do without fiber? Low density should be good enough.

To escape predators, TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly afterward due to their low density.

Reliability
03-19-11, 02:09 PM
I think I prefer fibre density. It sounds more scientific, and I don't think length is an issue either way.

Cyndadile
03-19-11, 04:20 PM
Agreed.

NyteFyre
03-19-11, 06:02 PM
-has to agree with Reli and IB on Fiber Density issue-

+1 voteed.

zeroality
03-19-11, 06:43 PM
Alright, gets my vote too then.

Reliability
03-19-11, 07:13 PM
Yay.

Tangela: To escape predators, TANGELA's brittle vines snap easily when grabbed. They regrow quickly afterward due to their low fibre density.