PDA

View Full Version : Irot's compositions

Irot_Rebod
01-26-10, 12:25 AM
This thread is for the discussion of the musical soundtrack to Pokemon Topaz.

Click HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=48d1dfb12182979824a64199ac7f73e5c5af8e6e aa2bc3e34ca8d2a77d7aad89) for the current compilation of music in the soundtrack.

I would be extremely grateful if you could give each track a listen and reply to this thread your favorite track from each folder and why, and least favorite track from each folder and why. By doing this, I'll be able to revamp tracks that are overwhelming disliked and compose future tracks with a style that the community (in general) seems to be pleased by.

If you would like to submit a composition to the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack, please post a link to it here and I will analyze your piece to see if it fits with my instrumentation and style.

Oh, and by the way... every recording on here is updated to .mp3 format. This fixed any issues with looping and creates a richer atmosphere in the instrumentation. This was meant to be a Christmas gift to everybody... but, well... *cough*
Merry One-Month-After-Christmas!!! ;D

Happy Listening,
- IR

Irot_Rebod
01-26-10, 03:22 AM
Y'know... with all the mistakes I've been making today, it's very hard to believe that I'm a computer science minor... -_-

Disregard the above link... instead, click HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=48d1dfb12182979824a64199ac7f73e5c5af8e6e aa2bc3e34ca8d2a77d7aad89) for the current compilation of music in the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack.

Any mod that can edit this link into the above link will win one million internets. - IR

ImmunityBow
01-26-10, 04:37 AM
:O :O :O MP3s!? Too bad my iTunes died but I'll be sure to give them a listen! I've always loved Chartree Forest, Dynamo Gardens and such.

-- Link Edited --

-- Pinned --

Irot_Rebod
01-26-10, 07:40 PM
Oh, IB... what would I do without you? :P

.mp3s indeed! I only updated them, because I was listening to the .MIDI files on another computer and I was horrified by how different it sounded. So, to make sure you all hear what I hear while composing, I thought it was necessary to improve the quality and file type of the soundtrack. ;)

Also, for the "Unknown Theme" that is chillin' in the main folder and the unknown routes in the "Route Themes" folder, we need names. I didn't arrange any of these routes with a route in mind, I just like the melodies... they seem to generally fit into later routes, though, being that they're all epic and stuff. For those of you who recognize the "Unknown Theme" in the main folder it's because it used to be Chartree Forest. With the new Chartree Forest taking it's spot, this melody needs a new home. I vote that it is used for some sort of dungeon theme or possibly even Icthyes City, but I'll leave it open to the community to decide. ;p

Irot_Rebod
03-09-10, 09:57 AM
Oh? What has Uncle Irot brought for you today?
Well...

Triple Triad (http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmjgymlwyy)

That's right! Now you'll be able to enjoy some original music while playing Triple Triad in game! For those of you who have listened to the rest of the Soundtrack, you may recognize the second theme - it's a motif of mine that I developed specifically for Pokemon Topaz.

Happy Listening!
- IR

neon.Barnacle
03-09-10, 05:50 PM
Some fantastic music. However, I feel as if this is better suited for the Pokemart theme rather than a card game, it's a bit too relaxing...

Irot_Rebod
03-10-10, 08:15 AM
Some fantastic music. However, I feel as if this is better suited for the Pokemart theme rather than a card game, it's a bit too relaxing...
Thanks, neon! (By the way, have I welcomed you back? ._.) I do agree that this piece has a very relaxing, passive atmosphere. However, I composed it this way intentionally because whenever I play a card game, though I may be exhilarated, I am in no way jumping out of my seat screaming with excitement. I will of course honor your opinion and if the community comes to an overwhelming agreement with you, I would be obliged to scrap this piece and compose an entirely new piece. Besides, I can never get enough practice. XD

Also, as an update to everybody else... I have added a .zip file that contains the Pokemon Topaz OST in its current entirety (visit my link in the first post). For those of you who haven't given the music a listen due to the daunting task of 66 downloads, fear no more! Now you can download all 66 files in one simple download. (Please be forewarned that the .zip file has the potential to exceed 50 mb once future tracks are included.) Feeling motivated to listen to music or do you simply want to have some music in the background while doing homework/housework? Then give this 45 minutes worth of music (excluding repeats) a listen and comment to your heart's desire! What stood out? What let you down? Better to voice your opinions now so I can fix any issues early on! :P

Happy Listening!
- IR

Badara
03-10-10, 10:04 PM
I actually think that the theme is amazing and I can totally imagine it in both the Triple Triad and the PokeMart Atmosphere. The Jazzy sound reminds me of playing classic card games on older consoles :). The wooden scraping sound perhaps doesn't need to be there but either way great work

Irot_Rebod
03-13-10, 02:15 AM
Thanks Badara! We already have a Pokemart theme, but if this track seems to be more suited for the atmosphere then who am I to say no? :P

As for the wooden scraping sound... I think the Topaz community doesn't quite appreciate the guiro the way I do. I remember somebody commenting years ago on Neo Bay about the same sound being quite irritating. *sigh* If the community sees fit, I don't have any issue removing it... I suppose. >:P

neon.Barnacle
03-13-10, 04:29 AM
It's not that I don't like the guiro, it's a fun and underappreciated instrument, but because of its distinct rasp it stands out over the otherwise light melody. I suggest you decrease its volume, that would probably stop it from being so abrasive to the ears.

Irrelevant side-story: my high school band used to have a guiro named Omar. It was the percussion section mascot and we loved it to death.

ImmunityBow
03-14-10, 12:29 PM
Though it's different, I can tell similarities to other Topaz Music, I think. It's really similar to Colossus City, both share some ties to FF7's Midgar Sector 5 (I think, the one where you crossdress) early on, the same kind of jazzy beat, and the ramp up to the higher part around the middle happens similarly as well. It's a little toned down though, so that's good.

OddCrow
03-18-10, 12:15 AM
Any way you could put them in a .zip? I don't want to upgrade to pro D:
I had the old ones, and I remember Chartree was fantastic.

zeroality
03-18-10, 01:02 AM
Ugh I didn't realize he was using medifafire for the downloads. He never asked me to put 'em up on the site. :\

I will get in touch with him and see if I can get him to send me all the Topaz music and I will make a page on the site for it.

ImmunityBow
03-18-10, 01:38 AM
I have all the stuff too so if that fails just PM me your email.

OddCrow
03-18-10, 03:34 AM
For Irot_Rebod

In the Battles Folder
Favorite = Legendary Pokemon battle (epic, and fitting)
Least Favorite = Rival Battle (just a few too many DUN DUNs to begin the song, electric organ(?) is a bit much, the mid/ending is good though)

In the Buildings Folder
Favorite = Pokemart (idk why, quirky and fitting)
Least Favorite = Willow's Lab (great song, but seems more like a beach song)

In the Citites Folder
Favorite = Cranewing (beautiful) and Mistvale (deliciously haunting)
Least Favorite = Gallea (sounds a bit too much like a wedding song)

In the Dungeons Folder
Favorite = Chartree
Least Favorite = Twilight Caverns (too much of the reverberating "eeee" sound, like the one in horror movies)
suggested inspiration (my fave video game song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMcOo-k23U
(killer instinct for the SNES had some good music too)

Didn't DL the Encounter or Misc. Folders yet.

In the Routes folder
Favorite = All were quality
Least Favorite = All were quality

Notes on Unknown Theme, to me at least it just SCREAMS end game/credits music.

Merlin
03-18-10, 08:11 PM
Well I liked all of the songs and started laughing when I heard some of the pieces cause I thought he was changing all of them...
It's not bad but I thought it was interesting to hear that and I think it's cool to keep some of the original music and sound effects from the main games....

I do have a suggestion for the Unknown theme and that was it could be the Team Orion theme since I noticed they didnt have one in the list. The guy could already be working on that theme but I figured it wouldnt hurt to suggest it...
although yes I do have to agree with Oddcrow about it being the end game/credits music cause it could work there...

Quinn
03-20-10, 09:15 PM
I love most all of ur songs. I love all the "battle themes" and ESPECIALLY chartree. So I was wondering though with the legendary battle...is that gonna be the only one? I am playing SS and most every legendary has a different battle theme. I'm not saying to make one for every one...but even if u made 1 or 2 more, so you would have a Jirachi exclusive, and 1-2 different themes...u get what I mean?

zeroality
03-20-10, 10:52 PM
He won't be making anymore. Irot announced that he is taking a break from Topaz, which may be a permanent leave.

ImmunityBow
03-20-10, 10:57 PM
Hopefully the new STT can help in this respect, if he feels like it. (The idea for an Orion theme is also quite nice.)

Merlin
03-23-10, 08:52 PM
I would if I could but I can't cause I'm not an admin or mod...
so saddly it shall have to be seperate for a while...

it does make sense to wait a while for the other legends music since the demo will only go so far but it's a good idea to try and work on them during the demo work and especially after the demo's been released and finished...
that's around the time in which you will want to try and complete the game asap---but do try not to rush anything with it or it may come out badly...

Fiery Soul Kitti
04-19-10, 10:56 PM
I'll give my opinion on just a few pieces as they come to me. I saved a text file on what my opinions for each category was, but it was too long, so now I'm working from scratch.

-- Elite Four Battle: This piece is great for the E4 challenge, and I love it. However, it slows down at the end, giving the impression the battle will be concluded in the time alloted for the music. I can't imagine this piece playing in loop during an E4 battle. The player may be executing a powerful Earthquake or Thunderdance, in which case, the slowing music may feel anti-climactic to him.
-- Gallea City: Sounds more like ending credits to me than any other theme, if you ask me.
-- Gym Battle: I could play this on loop and listen to it for hours. @_@ This is the kind of music I'd LOVE to hear every time I battle a gym leader. I hope we can rebattle the gym leaders, or I'll be sad to see it go.
-- Hollowlog City: While the title says "city", it sounds more small-town to me.
-- Frost Town and Mount Frost: Beautiful, but am I the only one who hears Princess Zelda's theme in that? XD
-- Rival Battle: It's good, and I almost want to agree with OddCrow's opinion on the introductory beats taking too long, but it seems it takes just the right length of time to see both players throw their Pokemon into battle just before the music really gets going. I dunno; I guess either way will work.

ImmunityBow
04-19-10, 11:26 PM
E4: I think it's minor enough a detail to work out. It's only about a second of downtime.
Gallea: I think this is fine for a City, ending credits generally tell a story, and this song doesn't. The most defining factor about this one for me is that it sounds a bit like a cathedral, but that's okay.
Gym Battle: Yes, it's probably one of my favourites of Irot's as well! The Gym Battle theme will be available on the CD Player you receive in-game so you'll be able to listen to it whenever you want (you might have to jump through some hoops to get the CD though)
Hollowlog: You're right, but remember that most "Cities" in Pokeverse aren't exactly huge. Some of them are actually pretty small (Mauville, Cherrygrove). I'm expecting Hollowlog to be about mid-sized, so it fits, still.
Rival Battle: 5 seconds of beats. Hmm... it does sound a bit long but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The looping could be problematic though.

Merlin
07-12-10, 10:29 PM
sorry for bumbing if this was going to be removed but i was wondering are you going to go back to doing the music in this thread Irot???

Irot_Rebod
07-13-10, 04:17 AM
Yes, I'll be posting my compositions here as I get them rolled out. I prefer to get 3 - 5 done before posting, unless I'm really excited and can't contain myself anymore. Just keep a look out for them! :P

Quinn
07-13-10, 05:18 PM
yeah. Its good to hear new music :D

STT
07-13-10, 07:00 PM
I'm actually restraining myself from opening FL and failing at composing. Can't wait to see some new stuff that I can get my hands on!

Quinn
07-13-10, 07:24 PM
^ lol. At least you know the basics. I used to, and if I still did...I would, but I just cant remember it anymore :P

Merlin
07-13-10, 08:28 PM
okay that's cool...
i was just wondering is all...
and now i shall wait for the new music to be added...
and try to check out STT's music...
(hopefully the library computers can allow me to download them this time...)

Irot_Rebod
09-24-10, 06:02 AM
It's definitely not the 3 - 5 I mentioned... but... well... here.

Flashback Theme (http://www.mediafire.com/?zvdpe0b4a18jegj)

"OMG, IR! WHY DOES IT SOUND SO EMPTY?!"

I'm mimicking the HGSS version of Cinnabar Island's theme using my own theme I composed for Neo Bay. Some more route themes and Kalypso City on the way... eventually... these world instruments are not being very friendly. D:

ImmunityBow
09-25-10, 08:44 PM
As I've said, excellent, though SPOILERS! we're probably going to need another crisis flashback theme.

Irot_Rebod
10-07-10, 06:33 PM
Kalypso City (http://www.mediafire.com/?7e55nldwpdryplu) is still in the process of being completed. But here is a sample. I know what I want to do next, and I can hear it... but something isn't sitting well with me. *sigh writer's block*

Anyway, just wanted you to know I am still working the best I can.

- Yes, it's MIDI... some people actually find use from the MIDIs. (I'm looking at you, STT. :P) When finished, I will of course convert to .mp3.

ImmunityBow
10-07-10, 10:29 PM
Definitely got the right style down. I'm a particular fan of the waves and tweeting birds. It's a really nice touch.

Irot_Rebod
10-08-10, 11:07 PM
Kalypso City.mp3 (http://www.mediafire.com/?44lgwx93f7r9ick) first version done. Any suggestions on improvements?

And the MIDIs are HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/#13,1), STT. :D

STT
10-11-10, 01:18 PM
Wrong link, IR. It directs me to MY folders. xD

Irot_Rebod
10-11-10, 05:06 PM
Links are working on my computer... let me try again...
Kalypso City (http://www.mediafire.com/?44lgwx93f7r9ick)
All MIDIs (http://www.mediafire.com/?9mcq6yma1v3ne)

STT
10-12-10, 12:30 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/#13,1 is a PERSONAL folder link. Meaning not shared. :P I've downloaded the file in question anyhow. xD

Irot_Rebod
10-12-10, 01:00 AM
I see, I see... must've copied the wrong thing then. Many apologies.

Irot_Rebod
11-16-10, 07:04 AM
New Kalypso City (http://www.mediafire.com/?oe2v04e4pwb9o65) edits have been made. Compare and tell me which version of the two you all prefer, please. :D

Reliability
11-16-10, 10:22 PM
I prefer the old one. The newer one seems a lot more simple and repetitive.

And I miss me some steel drums. :(

Irot_Rebod
11-16-10, 10:47 PM
Oh wow... I messed up and forgot to turn on the instruments... sometimes, I really hate myself. I'll need to put in all of the edits and re-record this. Thanks for pointing that out, Reli...

EDIT: The REAL New Kalypso City (http://www.mediafire.com/?fp7jj3wcwcvl69b) is ready. I not only double and triple checked... I quadruple checked. Enjoy and let me know which version sounds better. :)

Reliability
11-16-10, 11:41 PM
Now I like the new one.

Irot_Rebod
11-17-10, 01:42 AM
Excellent. I still feel slight- no, make that, very technologically incapable at times. -_-

I take it the agogo bells and increased syncopation of the "B" section is good?

Reliability
11-17-10, 02:18 AM
Yes. There is very little that I find sexier in music than syncopation.

(3/4 time and cellos, violins and bagpipes being the other things)

ImmunityBow
11-17-10, 10:43 PM
I think it's wonderfully evocative, one of your most so since Sunken Ship (which is one of my favourites). It's really, really good, Irot!

Irot_Rebod
11-17-10, 11:01 PM
Thanks! I wasn't aware you enjoyed Sunken Ship so much... most of my friends kinda toss that one to the side. ^^'

Expect the second flashback theme soon. It's definitely making progress.

Irot_Rebod
11-18-10, 06:30 AM
Double Post! QQ

Flashback II (http://www.mediafire.com/?zzwo0xy72t61bdy)'s rough draft is done. If you are all happy with it, then it'll be final. I'm happy I'm done with it... there was a lot of wracking of the brain while composing this one. -.-

You will notice that I used three different songs to create this one: An expanded version of "Flashback I" (Which is Neo Bay, as you may recall), the first few notes of "Team Rocket Theme", and the bass ostinato of "Rocket Base - Relaxed". See if you can spot- er... hear them as you give this a play through!

EDIT: I swear I'm not tone-deaf! The "out of tune" bells that float over the piece are deliberately placed a tritone from tonic as to create an eerie atmosphere. They are also placed canonically one measure later than everything else, which gives the feeling of a "ghost from the past", or at least that was my intention. Hopefully the bitonality doesn't turn you all off!

Happy Listening!
- IR

ImmunityBow
11-19-10, 02:10 AM
I like it. It's an really good dark twist on the original flashback theme, and the bitonality just adds to that.

I showed some of my friends the Topaz music not too long ago, and I started with Sunken Ship since I like it so much. One of my friends liked it so much that when I moved on to the epic Gym Leader Battle theme she said "Stop! I really want to finish listening to that last one! This one's great and all, but that one's just awesome."

So I know I'm not the only one! Be proud of it!

Irot_Rebod
11-19-10, 09:11 AM
Glad you like the new take on the Neo Bay theme... I was surprised how well the A and B sections sounded when converted to minor.

Now, I find that absolutely interesting. I love composing music, but I find the most intriguing aspect of it to be how listener's respond to my very different styles of composition. I'm glad that some of my "simpler" music is appreciated. I think my music friends sometimes write "simple" music off as "boring" or "poorly written" music. In all actuality, "simple" will usually leave a more memorable experience on a listener than "complex."

On a side note... Orion Theme is in the rafters just waiting for the time to strike. Expect it soon.

Stoneheart
02-04-11, 10:27 PM
(Sorry for the monstrous bump)

Do you have anything against me using a few of these for my Pokemon RPG? I could give you credit for them, but the main one I want to use is the Legendary Battle one. It's epic.

Is okay for me to use a few of these songs?

(Again, sorry for the bump D: )

Irot_Rebod
02-04-11, 11:20 PM
Haha, epic bump is fine. :P

As the composer (/arranger of that piece, in particular), I give you my permission. But, being that it was created for Topaz, you'll also need the project's permission as a whole, I would think.

zeroality
02-05-11, 02:25 AM
Since you have Irot's permission, it's now up to ImmunityBow since he is the project leader. I'd appreciate if you could take up the matter with him via private message as not to get off-topic here.

MeekRhino
02-12-11, 03:24 AM
I can't seem to download these.....it wants me to upgrade and pay money. What am I doing wrong?

Irot_Rebod
02-12-11, 05:57 AM
I can't seem to download these.....it wants me to upgrade and pay money. What am I doing wrong?

You shouldn't have to upgrade. Clicking the download link (in blue, I believe) should work. Let me know if problems continue to persist.

I also have some new music ready. I'm expecting a bit of apprehension on this one... it's definitely... bipolar? But I think that despite the bipolarity, the two sections compliment each other quite well.

I'm also uncertain as to whether this should be the theme for Victory Road or be used for the Surfing track. Let me know what you all think! :D

Victory Road or Surfing (http://www.mediafire.com/?yxmg5mk539z4e43)?

Happy Listening!
- IR

STT, here is your MIDI copy (http://www.mediafire.com/?fubsc88inqvs1qc). :P

MeekRhino
02-12-11, 06:52 PM
Well, I could dl every single one....one at a time. Which would take forever, and be a bit tedious. To dl more than one at a time I must upgrade.

As far as your most recent one goes, I started to think it would be good for victory road, but then it became surfing for the remainder (quite suddenly). I don't think that, overall, it fits the character of one or the other. But maybe if you made two separate songs out of it you could get both.

Irot_Rebod
02-12-11, 11:00 PM
THIS (http://www.mediafire.com/?9q62it0iat2jyp2) is the most recent compilation of all of the music I've composed for Topaz's soundtrack. One click and 70 tracks are yours. :P

As far as your most recent one goes, I started to think it would be good for victory road, but then it became surfing for the remainder (quite suddenly). I don't think that, overall, it fits the character of one or the other. But maybe if you made two separate songs out of it you could get both.

This was a response I was anticipating. The two themes, though at first glance seem disjunct, are actually derived from the exact same motive. In my composing ear, they were born of the same idea and still transition quite seamlessly back and forth. I'd rather not make them two separate songs, if possible... I'd actually rather just not use it if it came to that. XD I'm quite paternal about my compositions, it may be that this track isn't intended for Topaz. ^^'

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 12:14 AM
Oh, I'm not saying they don't go well together. But as a complete song, they don't really embody either places. That's all I meant.

Irot_Rebod
02-13-11, 01:40 AM
No, I understand what you are saying. My original intent was a Surfing theme, but then I wanted a B section that changed things up. Then I decided the B section should become the A section and swap functions. And thus this track was created. XD

Hummm... I dunno, I don't want to dissect something I feel is a complete song and make two songs out of it. I will probably just write two new pieces and leave this floating around.

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 01:42 AM
Lol sounds good to me.

Tyrannigon64
02-13-11, 02:03 AM
It wouldn't fit for Victory Road, I don't think. Just cut off everything before about 0:28 and use it for surfing, I'd suggest. Also, what program do you use to make these songs?

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 02:12 AM
That's exactly what he doesn't want to do!!

ImmunityBow
02-13-11, 04:48 AM
I don't see why having the same motive should be an inhibition towards cutting the piece into two separate pieces. A few of your other pieces have similar motives if I'm not mistaken (Colossus City and Triple Triad, if I remember correctly, and I think there are others too) and it could be related to a movie soundtrack, where themes and variations on them appear throughout the soundtrack.

I like the theme a lot, A, B, A and B or otherwise. Together, I see it more as a Surfing theme than a Victory Road theme, and I can imagine Surfing to the A section.

Irot_Rebod
02-13-11, 11:05 PM
It wouldn't fit for Victory Road, I don't think. Just cut off everything before about 0:28 and use it for surfing, I'd suggest. Also, what program do you use to make these songs?

I use Sibelius to do my primary compositions, but I'd be a fool to simply compose using only that - I also make sure to have my piano and manuscript paper at the ready. ;)

That's exactly what he doesn't want to do!!

Correct.

I don't see why having the same motive should be an inhibition towards cutting the piece into two separate pieces. A few of your other pieces have similar motives if I'm not mistaken (Colossus City and Triple Triad, if I remember correctly, and I think there are others too) and it could be related to a movie soundtrack, where themes and variations on them appear throughout the soundtrack.

I could use the themes, that's fine. But for this iteration of the theme morphing into the other variation... I'd rather keep that as its own entity. Actually, I'd love to use a few of the motives here throughout the rest of the soundtrack - I do still have a lot of music to compose (50+ tracks, I think. @_@).

I like the theme a lot, A, B, A and B or otherwise. Together, I see it more as a Surfing theme than a Victory Road theme, and I can imagine Surfing to the A section.

Thank you. :D I think I see it more as a surfing theme as a whole, as well. It does break the traditional "POGEYMANZ SURFING MUSIC MUST BE MAJOR AND WALTZY!" for the A section, at least. I'll wait to hear some more opinions before going to town on different versions of these themes. :P

P.S. - the Orion's Theme is becoming my worst nemesis. I've gone back and forth from fanfare style, to "pop" style, not being able to determine minor or major... I think I've done about 50 circles now. XD Team Rocket has that mischievous, in-your-face theme, and it makes sense since they are the antagonists when you help the Defenders... but the other way around, wouldn't it seem strange if the Defender's theme was light-hearted?

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 11:10 PM
I agree, Orion can't be overly light-hearted. It should be intense...but more majestic and less sinister that Rocket, if that makes any sense.

ImmunityBow
02-13-11, 11:12 PM
I feel that the way to approach Orion Defenders is to have a rather pompous theme that sounds very self-righteous rather than something lighthearted. Easier said than done, I know. Something like the FF7 Fanfare which was also for an antagonist (Shinra) yet was both memorable and reasonably happy.

MeekRhino
02-13-11, 11:56 PM
That's what I meant by majestic

Tyrannigon64
02-17-11, 02:44 AM
The A section doesn't seem to fit for a Pokemon surfing theme to me. I wouldn't mind breaking the (as you call it) "POGEYMANZ SURFING MUSIC MUST BE MAJOR AND WALTZY!" trend, but this doesn't seem to be right for surfing. If this were to be used for Victory Road (or anything else, really), I think the A section would be too short, and the B section too long. Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome.

Irot_Rebod
02-17-11, 03:06 AM
The A section, as per my intention, evokes rough seas instead of constant easy drifting. The rapid downward arpeggios in the strings represent fierce winds and rough waves. The triumphant brass melody and harmony represent the struggle it takes to tame the seas. The B section is the usual relaxing waltz that we find in Surfing music a la the Pokemon franchise. I don't intend to change your mind, but I realized I hadn't explained the actual representations of the A section, so here they are. :P

ImmunityBow
02-17-11, 03:54 AM
If you're having trouble seeing is as a surfing theme, imagine surfing to it in the route outside Fortree City with it (the raining one where you get Feebas). It would make total sense.

Tyrannigon64
02-17-11, 01:16 PM
The A section, as per my intention, evokes rough seas instead of constant easy drifting. The rapid downward arpeggios in the strings represent fierce winds and rough waves. The triumphant brass melody and harmony represent the struggle it takes to tame the seas. The B section is the usual relaxing waltz that we find in Surfing music a la the Pokemon franchise. I don't intend to change your mind, but I realized I hadn't explained the actual representations of the A section, so here they are. :P

If I didn't get it, then chances are, other people who download Topaz won't get it. Also, I don't remember the route outside Fortree, so maybe later I'll go there in my Ruby version sometime.

Irot_Rebod
02-17-11, 07:19 PM
If I didn't get it, then chances are, other people who download Topaz won't get it. Also, I don't remember the route outside Fortree, so maybe later I'll go there in my Ruby version sometime.

The counter to your argument is that IB got it. Music is hard judge unless you have more than 3 or 4 people critiquing. Maybe some more people should post their opinions... ? :D

MeekRhino
02-17-11, 09:20 PM
I love the piece. I think it would be ok as a surfing theme. I changed my mind from before

Irot_Rebod
04-24-11, 11:46 PM
Enechestra City (http://www.mediafire.com/?71vpdfqzyy3psua), maybe? I got *cough* inspiration *cough* from a song that I thought would fit a city/town theme. I'm leaning towards Enechestra, but maybe Laysan? Tell me what you all think!

... and a cookie to the person who recognizes the song (I arranged it, but sadly don't know the composer D: ).

Happy Listening!
- IR

ImmunityBow
04-25-11, 02:54 AM
Definitely doesn't sound like Laysan. Some of the progressions remind me of a couple of the less anxious Phoenix Wright melodies, but I can't identify the inspiration. I like the theme, though it makes me think of other games. Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, something more like that.

EDIT: Listening to it loop it's growing on me even more, though my concerns still apply.

Irot_Rebod
04-25-11, 03:09 AM
Haha, it's not inspired by any of the above listed games (I haven't played any of them, to be honest). /shame

I actually thought this was one of my compositions/arrangements that more fit to the style of the Pokemon music, without being canon. I can't remember which theme I'm thinking of, I'll have to go find it. I'll try to do some sprucing up, though - it's pretty obvious that this was only an hour venture. ^^'

ImmunityBow
04-25-11, 03:31 AM
I see where you're coming from in your thinking that this is one of your more Pokemon-esque works, but there's just something about this one that's more... laid back than any Pokemon theme.

Irot_Rebod
04-25-11, 03:44 AM
Hmm... yeah, it's pretty laid back. I think the songs I'm remembering are (in reference to atmosphere) the HG/SS versions of Goldenrod and Cherrygrove/Mahogany, and (in reference to instrumentation) DPPt's Veilstone.

On a side note, is Laysan Town going to be a busier town? I've always imagined it quite small and humble based off the site text.

Reliability
04-25-11, 02:25 PM
Yes. If you want a canon reference, likely about Mahogany town sized.
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/9/9f/Mahogany_Town_HGSS.png
Secluded, but bright and happy.

Tyrannigon64
04-25-11, 02:56 PM
I think it sounds like Colossus City or a game corner, but that's just me. It's awesome, and has to be used somewhere.

ImmunityBow
04-26-11, 04:37 AM
I've always kind of imagined Laysan Town's theme to be similar to Verdanturf's. They both are in the mountains, have fresh air, are small and secluded, and specialize in a farmed product (berries and herbs respectively.)

ImmunityBow
06-11-11, 05:38 PM
In interest of getting the surfing theme figured out, I have an idea. What if the surfing theme was instead a minor waltz? It would certainly continue a trend that Topaz has going for it, where we take something traditional and riff off in some other direction.

EthanK
06-27-11, 05:57 AM
Enechestra City (http://www.mediafire.com/?71vpdfqzyy3psua), maybe? I got *cough* inspiration *cough* from a song that I thought would fit a city/town theme. I'm leaning towards Enechestra, but maybe Laysan? Tell me what you all think!

... and a cookie to the person who recognizes the song (I arranged it, but sadly don't know the composer D: ).

Happy Listening!
- IR

THAT'S THE NYAN CAT SONG.

Sorry.

STT
07-02-11, 09:38 PM
lolnyancat. Strangely enough I have a MIDI of the original song. XD

If it IS in fact Nyanyanyanyanyanya! (<- what that song is ACTUALLY called), then the composer is a Japanese guy who goes by daniwellP.

PKMask
12-18-11, 04:25 AM
irot you should make completely new trainer battle and wild pokemon battle music instead of remixes

your other ones (gym leader battle, rival battle and legendary battle) are so much better