PDA

View Full Version : Overworld Battles

ImmunityBow
02-22-10, 01:56 AM
In case you hadn't read yet, overworld battles are just battles between overworld Pokemon where you can order them to jump, bash, etc. in order to defeat other Pokemon. It seems like a really cool minigame to place in certain places. Ideas?

NyteFyre
02-22-10, 02:08 AM
how about a coliseum, with occasional tourneys? the tourneys could be patches, with big prizes for the winner, though only against NPCs, while the coliseum is just everyday battles? it could replace the battle tower, maybe?

Cyndadile
02-22-10, 08:17 PM
Would there be simple elemental moves! like just simple fire, water, lightning, etc.?

Anyways, I agree with Nytefyre, except one more thing...Maybe we could have it as part of the plot? You would have to battle Orion/Rocket in an overworld battle a couple of times?

Badara
02-22-10, 08:24 PM
Currently the system only supports trainer v trainer/overworld pokemon fights.

I havn't experimented much with the overworld battle system so I don't know its limitations or rooms for us to do some addons but currently their are 3 types of moves and it works in a rock paper scissors system I think. When I have more time I'll investigate exactly how it works.

This system is much in it's embryonic stage, we'll need some more work to tweak it to our needs

Black Temple Gaurdian
02-22-10, 08:31 PM
Maybe "Leap, Dodge, Attack"
Leap beats attack (since it hits first), Attack beats Dodge (slower and so can account for dodging), Dodge beats Leap (dodges leaping pokemon, leaping pokemon hurts itself).

Mediocrity_Incarnate
02-22-10, 11:13 PM
Hopefully there is a way to expand the combat system to allow for types since just having leap dodge attack would be kinda reduced to luck.

Cyndadile
02-23-10, 01:05 AM
Still, it is an interesting idea.

Nokeeo
02-25-10, 12:15 AM
I don't really think this is necessary... Like, it seems to be a 'simple' script, nothing like Pokémon Rumble. Also, the sprites will take a lot of space to a small role to the game... Even because there's not much sense on these battles, since the pokémon will have few attacks and why not battling with the original system? Well, if you guys really want it in the game, it could be something like a "Little Cup", with only few pokémon able to play. '-'

ImmunityBow
02-25-10, 01:45 AM
If there's just a few overworlds (we'll need to make some for the game anyway as NPC Pokemon) then there could be a "draft-style" minigame. Just something to break up the monotony.

neon.Barnacle
02-25-10, 02:28 AM
We already have TT as a side game. I agree with Nokeeo, this isn't really necessary. It's just a glorified version of rock-paper-scissors, anyway.