PDA

View Full Version : Triple Triad Pokemon Edition

Badara
03-01-10, 09:12 PM
Finally after a few days of hard work getting this PlayTest ready, it's ready to be unleashed upon the world. As you all know the game is Triple Triad and you're set in a Duel-Clubesque environment where we: your beloved Topaz staff grant you to pick any card from our pokedex and play the game. Even if you're new to the game, you can pick it up in just a matter of seconds. Feel free to experiment with different cards and different difficulties to identify any possible balance issues.

TRIPLE TRIAD POKEMON EDITION
PlayTest

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5769/screenshot001a.png
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1371/screenshot002iy.png
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3320/screenshot003hg.png

There are some icons missing for the pokemon, so if you notice that someones icon isn't there, feel free to make one and send it to us :D.

What is the purpose of the PlayTest?
Main Reason: FUN. Second Reason: It may become a huge side quest or side aspect in the actual Topaz game, allowing people to try to collect all 200 cards, duel with them in clubs, GameCorners or even we can have a card league dedicated to this almighty game.

Here is a list of Bug Fixes we done during the exclusive Contributer BETA:

Version 4

Now Type Advantages 100% Work
You now win entire opponent deck if you score a perfect

Version 3

Fixed Lotad and Lobre Icon Order
Fixed Major Bug with Toarkoal
Fixed Major bug with Ditto
Changed BG to playtest
Fixed Major Bug with Rhyhorn Family
Fixed Exploud Family Icon Order
Fixed Drowzee and Hypno Icon Order
Fixed SlowPoke Family Icon Order
Fixed Major Saving Bug (YOU CAN NOW SAVE!!)

Version 2

Fixed the Pineco and Foretress icon bug
Fixed the LIGHT Type Icon Bug
Lowered the stat requirements

Download Link
Allow me to introduce you to the downloads:
The Playtest Game (http://tinyurl.com/y96ld7k)

If you get an error regarding you do not have the RTP Standard Runtime when running the program, Please download and install the following
RTP Standard Runtime (http://tinyurl.com/y8zsnzd)

SilentSentinel
03-01-10, 09:23 PM
Oh, the save feature got fixed? Yayz!!!!!

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 09:31 PM
good to see the slowpokes got fixed

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 09:43 PM
also, the RTP is a bigger file than the game, lol

Edit: it would also probably be easier to download if all the files were stored in one folder before you download it...taht is, at least for all the program files...

zeroality
03-01-10, 09:58 PM
also, the RTP is a bigger file than the game, lol

Edit: it would also probably be easier to download if all the files were stored in one folder before you download it...taht is, at least for all the program files...

Uh, what? @_@

One file is an .exe (soon to be .zip) and the other is a .msi installer.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 10:02 PM
yeah, but the sizes are 14.0 Mb for the game, and 20.0 Mb for the RTP which is used to play the game...i just figured the game would have a bigger total download size...and by game i meant all the files included with the Exe. file...anyway, the game looks great, played it a little, won my first match...though some icons were missing, like Huskii, and one other that was randomly generated ( i think) for Lv. 1 Dex...

Edit: sorry, i confuse people a lot when i speak...sorry...

zeroality
03-01-10, 10:07 PM
We can't 'merge' the RTP into the exe and forcing people to download one 'folder' with both in them adds unnecessary size to the file since some people already have the RTP runtime.

Anyway, I'm fixing the file download. It'll be back up in a bit.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 10:16 PM
sorry, you misunderstood...(like they always misunderstand what i say) i meant just include the .exe, and the program files in one zip file....and have the program files in their own folder, so as to not take up a lot of room...

zeroality
03-01-10, 10:33 PM
I'm still not understanding. We don't want to include the RTP runtime in the game download since some people may already have it.

Anyway, download link is back up. I was trying to upload it as an attachment to force people to register to get it (and hopefully participate) but my little marketing whore scheme didn't work. Something's wrong with the attachment system.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 10:39 PM
i know this, i was talking about the other stuff, the .exe file, and the files that are part of the game....sigh....when i downloaded the game(not the RTP), all the files were alone, and it took up alot of screen space, so i was thinking that the files that aren't the .exe file should be in a folder prior to downloading...as simple as i can put it...

zeroality
03-01-10, 10:44 PM
There shouldn't be anything except the .exe file... What files showed up?

Cyndadile
03-01-10, 10:56 PM
It won't work for me...

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 11:26 PM
/screen shot

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/060/4/b/screen_shot_by_DrakeWolf.jpg

note, i made my own folder for them...

zeroality
03-01-10, 11:28 PM
It won't work for me...

What's the problem?

And wtf Nyte, I don't think anybody else gets all these files when they download it or I'm sure someone would have said something. I don't know how you got all that just from downloading the exe.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 11:29 PM
idk, man...i just clicked the download the playtest link, and when it finished, all those showed up with the .exe

Edit: /goes to download again to see if happens again...

zeroality
03-01-10, 11:30 PM
That is odd indeed. Badara just went to bed but he'll see this when he gets up and maybe he'll have an answer.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 11:39 PM
sounds good, Zero...

Cyndadile
03-01-10, 11:49 PM
Oay, alot of different things are happening. Sometimes it can't use BadaraSaveManager.exe because it is "already being used", sometimes it can't find a file, and when none of those are a problem, it can't find (I forget, RSSP RTP or something like that?) which I recognize as being necessary to allow you to play RPG Maker XP games.

NyteFyre
03-01-10, 11:57 PM
BAdara already said that you may need to download the RTP Runtime Player in order to play the game...The download for the runtime Player is right below the game download link, in the first post...

Also, the second time i downloaded the .exe, all those other files didn't show up...odd....

Cyndadile
03-02-10, 12:01 AM
I DID download BOTH things...

neon.Barnacle
03-02-10, 12:01 AM
Not sure about the other problems, but if it says BadaraSaveManager.exe cannot be used, open your task manager, go to Processes, find BadaraSaveManager.exe and force-quit.

NyteFyre
03-02-10, 12:04 AM
ahh, but did you start the RTP file? that file you downloaded is only the start file, you have to run that file to dowload RTP, and play the game...

Cyndadile
03-02-10, 12:09 AM
Thanks, that problem is fixed (although I have to redo that every time...)

...But still "RGSS RTP Standard not found"...

NyteFyre
03-02-10, 12:12 AM
hmmm....try deleting .exe file, and redownloading it...sometimes, a file is missed, or a simple glitch happens, that stops the entire game working...if that doesn't work, it may be a problem with your comp...

Cyndadile
03-02-10, 12:15 AM
Thanks everyone! It is working now!

Mediocrity_Incarnate
03-02-10, 12:15 AM
Huh it works fine for me. Cyndadlie did you download the libraries cause thats the message Rage got when he DLd it for us before he got the libraries.

EDIT: got ninjad by Cyndadile

NyteFyre
03-02-10, 12:19 AM
no problem! happy to help!

Cyndadile
03-02-10, 01:32 AM
This game is soooooooooo adicting...

Blade Flight
03-02-10, 01:46 AM
Right, another bug: Koffing's icon is actually Weezing.

ImmunityBow
03-02-10, 02:50 AM
I really think this is a really awesome addition to Topaz. Who would have thought of it before Badara came in and found it on Poccil's?

SilentSentinel
03-02-10, 03:09 AM
He said there's all sorts of wierd crap in there, like something where you can record your voice and it plays it back everytime you view your trainer card. A pretty useless thing when compared to this.

Badara
03-02-10, 06:53 AM
Badara Save Manager acts as a bridge between the virtual application and the real computer application. It's what makes sure that your save file is saved when you save and close them.

Another feature of it is that it has to clean out the virtual data each time it's used to save memory. This means that roughly for about 30s-1m after closing the application, it will clean everything up and remove itself. Feel free to end the processes if you want to launch it quicker

zeroality
03-02-10, 01:46 PM
Badara, what about this problem (http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/showthread.php?388-TRIPLE-TRIAD-POKEMON-EDITION-Get-your-Playtest-and-have-fun&p=3034&viewfull=1#post3034) that Nyte had?

Badara
03-02-10, 05:19 PM
I have seriously no clue how or what just happened there. I can only encourage that the program has no reason to put random stuff there. If anything Id like to see some of the actual game content but all I see are just index files. Try and delete all of them (leaving just the exe)

Quinn
03-03-10, 08:48 PM
so simply said, the file is just an .exe right? or does it have a load of other shtuffage? (Idk if my computer even could download it though. It can't download really anything, except images).

zeroality
03-03-10, 09:24 PM
Yeah, it is just an .exe but you will likely need the RTP runtime installed as well.

NyteFyre
03-03-10, 09:48 PM
-shrugs- the game works fine without those files...

SilentSentinel
03-03-10, 10:01 PM
You might already have them installed if you didnt get them here.

Cyndadile
03-03-10, 10:48 PM
A couple suggestions (if this is the right place):
1. Have a way of organizing the cards (not just by when you got them, but alphabetized or, better yet, by dex #).
2. Have a key item or something for holding cards so you can see them from your bag (like Card Holder or something like that).
That's all I can think of to possibly change.

zeroality
03-04-10, 12:16 AM
Yes, the minigame will be better detailed in the demo and will be set up neatly.

Fiery Soul Kitti
03-17-10, 12:30 AM
I hope it's not too late to post this.
When I try to run it, I get this message:

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv82/kitti606/Topazdownloaderror.jpg

Reliability
03-17-10, 12:47 AM
If you get an error regarding you do not have the RTP Standard Runtime when running the program, Please download and install the following
RTP Standard Runtime (http://tinyurl.com/y8zsnzd)

I believe that this is the solution. I think I had the same problem and this seemed to rectify it.

zeroality
03-17-10, 05:24 AM
If you already have the RTP runtime installed then try a reboot. If that doesn't work then you can download the framework directly from this link (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe).

OddCrow
03-17-10, 09:39 PM
"counterfeit" is spelled wrong in the game
I think is says "is" instead of "his" but not sure, I clicked past it pretty fast so I didn't notice for sure.
Only other idea is that when you put in the #of your card, there is an additional screen, I keep on accidentally getting tons of Venap cards by over clicking.

Great job overall, I was giddy playing it. :)

Something I have to do is, everytime I want to open the game, I have to go to Taskmanager and end a certain process, or else I get something that says "couldn't open because it's open in another program"

zeroality
03-18-10, 01:22 AM
Yeah Badara probably typed all of the dialogue in a rush, it will be proper in the demo.

Not sure what you mean by 'overclicking'. I haven't had that problem.

As for the process, it is the save manager Badara wrote in C++ to get it to save. It takes 2-3 minutes to remove from memory since it cleans up temp files and whatnot. If you don't want to wait then terminate the process.

OddCrow
03-18-10, 01:33 AM
By overclicking, I mean, you know how people (maybe you) keep clicking to get through menus? I keep doing that and accidentally getting extra Venaps. It's not a big issue, as the free card machine probably won't be available in the demo or final product. Although a card machine (like a vending machine) with packs, or codes for special editions (like shinies and such) wouldn't be too bad.

zeroality
03-18-10, 01:34 AM
Yeah, there probably won't be a vending machine in the demo. It'll be in shops with a NPC.

Merlin
03-23-10, 11:00 PM
sorry for minor change in subject but i was wondering about pokemon such as unown, rotom and arceus--if we manage to get those will they have there different forms as well???

SilentSentinel
03-24-10, 01:33 AM
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, only pokemon in Topaz will be in the card game.

zeroality
03-24-10, 01:38 AM
Yeah, we aren't planning on adding any D/P Pokemon at this point and it will probably stay that way.

Merlin
03-29-10, 09:44 PM
gotcha just curious, cause i've messed around with it in the pokemon script at home and remembered that arceus and others had multiple forms and wasn't sure as to what was going on with it...

i haven't seen anything in the game that suggests the unown have different cards but i'll keep looking...

Blade Flight
04-02-10, 12:59 AM
Quick question: Where do I get the "Fonts" that it mentions when I boot up the program? Something about "One or more fonts used in this game do not exist on the system" or something like that...

zeroality
04-02-10, 06:22 AM
Do you get that every time you boot it up?

Cyndadile
04-02-10, 11:24 AM
I beleive that the fonts are in a hidden file with what looks like random numbers and letters somewhere. (I am serious).
I just ignore that part.

SilentSentinel
04-02-10, 04:07 PM
I get that message too, but the game plays fine without them.

Blade Flight
04-02-10, 08:01 PM
I really want them because I found a similar fangame that won't work without the Pokemon Fonts. I figured I'd get the ones for Topaz while I'm at it.

And, yes, Zero, it happens every time.

zeroality
04-03-10, 01:26 AM
I beleive that the fonts are in a hidden file with what looks like random numbers and letters somewhere. (I am serious).
Yes! I vaguely recall showing hidden folders/files and finding the font then installing it into Fonts folder. Maybe Badara can tell us the specific font(s) to make it easier.

Cyndadile
04-03-10, 11:26 AM
Tell me if this sounds right: pkmnem.ttf, pkmnemn.ttf, pkmnems.ttf, pkmnrs.ttf, pkmndp.ttf, pkmnfl.ttf.

There should be a fonts folder for the game somewhere, you just need to copy it from there into the one in the control panel. At least, according to the game. I have not tried it yet.

Bazero
04-16-10, 10:30 AM
Might be a bit late but Forretress is Rock type in the Card game, have you changed its type or was it just an accident?

zeroality
04-16-10, 10:47 AM
It was an accident. We'll make sure none of these pesky mistakes are present in the demo.

Hof
01-02-11, 08:36 AM
i cant see unicrown.

Cyndadile
01-02-11, 02:13 PM
We don't have an icon for it. Anything that is missing probably just hadn't been made at the time that this was put up.

Tyrannigon64
01-02-11, 03:36 PM
I haven't dowloaded this yet, and I probably won't for a while, but I would like to know, what are the rules? I don't get it! Is there a place where I can find the rules? Is there something I'm not getting?

Cyndadile
01-02-11, 05:58 PM
I believe that there are the rules in-game, but here are the basics; You place cards on a 3x3 grid. If you place a card next to an opponent's card, and the number on your card is higher then the number on your opponent's card, then you get it. Did that make sense? Probably not. Here is a visual representation.

Your card:
Top:5
Left:4 Right:7
Bottom:3

Your opponent's card:
Top:2
Left:6 Right:9
Bottom:3

If you place your card to the left of his (so that the 7 and 6 are touching), you get that card because seven is greater than 6. He can still get it back by placing a higher card somewhere next to it. If you win, you choose one of their cards to keep. If you lose, you lose a card.

Also, if the winner has captured ALL of the cards on the board, they get to keep them all.

Tyrannigon64
01-02-11, 08:19 PM
Oh, I get it. It's better than the slot machines in the Johto and Hoenn regions which are just based on luck. This is kind of based on luck too, but at least there's also strategy involved.

Hof
01-03-11, 12:16 AM
ok thanks for the help.

ImmunityBow
01-04-11, 05:36 AM
Actually, the FRLG slots weren't luck based at all. At one point I could get 7 7 7 Red every 3 tries. It's about watching the reel. RSE throws you off randomly most of the time (the reel stops sometimes faster, sometimes slower. It still takes a little skill but there's luck too) but I can still 7 7 7 with more consistency than might seem usual.

Stoneheart
02-04-11, 09:48 PM
Had a minor problem in the beginning. When the player enters the building, he walks to the person in front of him. I thought that he would start talking, but instead it allowed me to walk around.

Thing is, it looks like you can only continue if you talk to the person from behind him. Talking to him from the side will interfere with how it was programmed.

If I'm right, and RMXP and RMVX use similar event programming, then it might be safe to have the player automatically talk to the person when he walks up to him, instead of allowing the player to press Space or walk. I'm probably the only one with the problem, though. o_O

zeroality
02-05-11, 02:27 AM
Yeah, this was coded by our old programmer who quit with no explanations.

I'm planning on learning Ruby scripting so I can take over the programming aspect but it'll be a while before I get adept enough to start actual work. Heck, it'll even take me a while to get started on Ruby itself as I need to finish the site/repository as well as other odds and ends around here.

Cyndadile
02-05-11, 12:56 PM
Actually, you don't need ruby to fix it if you have RPG Maker XP. Just a few changes and you could change it so that you automatically went to the person and talked to him in the beginning.

I had the RPGMXP demo. Planning to (hopefully) get the full version before the summer.

Stoneheart
02-05-11, 03:24 PM
Thing is, if the beta/game has been compressed and encrypted before upload, then it being encrypted means that you can't make any changes to it. Figured that out after I corrupted a very epic RPG I was working on.

Blade Flight
02-05-11, 04:06 PM
I had RPGMaker VX...before my computer crashed recently and I lost everything...but I'll bet I could get it back anyway.

Cyndadile
02-05-11, 07:37 PM
Thing is, if the beta/game has been compressed and encrypted before upload, then it being encrypted means that you can't make any changes to it. Figured that out after I corrupted a very epic RPG I was working on.

Yeah, you'd need the origional file.

zeroality
02-05-11, 11:45 PM
I've tried e-mailing Badara for his files so I could work from them but for some reason he is reluctant to part with them. (Or he would've sent them already.)

ImmunityBow
02-06-11, 02:16 AM
He hasn't answered my email either. Do you think he might have changed address?

Blade Flight
02-06-11, 02:28 AM
TBH, I'm a bit mad at Badara. He was doing a great job, and then he just leaves...

ImmunityBow
02-06-11, 02:35 AM
I'd hold off on judgement unless we find out the reason. It could be perfectly legitimate.

zeroality
02-06-11, 03:32 AM
He hasn't answered my email either. Do you think he might have changed address?
I don't think so. I set my MSN to alert me when he got online so I could message him. Then Jan 29th, I got the notification he was on but by the time I clicked on his name to send an IM, he signed off. Haven't seen him on since but he is definitely still using the same address.

TBH, I'm a bit mad at Badara. He was doing a great job, and then he just leaves...
I think he underestimated how much of his free time that his e-mail application was going to take. He developed a bulk e-mail program and sells it for profit; which means he provides support, updates, etc. He also started university recently, IIRC.

I'm not upset he quit, I'm just annoyed that he won't turn over the Topaz material he has. Probably save us about 15-20 hours if we could get our hands on it.

Blade Flight
02-06-11, 04:05 PM
Meh, I can't blame him in that case. Still, I wish he would have at least said something...

Cyndadile
02-06-11, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking witness protection program.

He has to have some reason.