PDA

View Full Version : HGSS Team Building help.

Inevitable
04-11-10, 03:56 PM
Oh I can post threads now.

Right, anyone who remembers me from way back in the days of 3rd Gen Netbattling may remember I wasn't exactly the most competitive of players. In fact, I didn't even have a proper OU team. So, even though I'm now building an IV bred, EV trained team, I know fine well that the team itself isn't exactly balanced (2 psychics?! I'VE SINNED!). However, I also have very little experience with the 4th Gen Metagame, so I'm not really sure what moves, natures and EVs I should give things. I've given everything Leftovers where applicable because I don't know what items to give them otherwise. If you have better item ideas, go ahead, but no berries, I can't be bothered with growing them.

Anyway, here we are:

Espeon @Leftovers
Modest 255 SpAtk, 255 Spd (can't be bothered to carefully put the other 6 into Hp)
Psychic
Substitute
Calm Mind
Signal Beam

This one is already bred and EV trained, it doesn't have all the attacks yet because it's only level 40 something and 2 of them come out of the Battle Frontier for 48 points each. I don't do Baton Passing, and in fact, don't particularly want this one to change, I'm only putting it here for completeness.

Xatu @Leftovers
Modest 255 SpAtk, 255 Spd
Psychic
Thunder Wave
Giga Drain
???

Psychic for STAB, Thunder Wave for hax. Back in 3rd Gen on NB I had Calm Mind and Giga Drain in the other slots. Giga Drain was astonishingly effective simply because no one ever saw it coming. I'm not sure how well Grass Knot works, so if that's better I could always use that instead. As for the final slot, I could go for CM again, but Xatus got a fantasticly increased movepool now, so it might be better to use one of them instead...

Ampharos @Leftovers
Nature? EVs?
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Substitute
Thunder Wave
Focus Blast

I'm not sure which is better out of TBolt and Discharge... In 3rd Gen I had Focus Punch, but with the newer special fighting attack I figured I may as well convert to that instead.

Scizor @Leftovers
Nature? EVs?
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
???
???

Scizor has too many attacks for me to choose from >_>

Seviper @Leftovers
Nature? EVs?
???
???
???
???

No idea what to do with this. Its Atk and SpAtk are equal, and with the Special/Physical split I can get STAB whichever way I go. In 3rd Gen I set Seviper up as a Choice Band physical attacker with Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, Crunch and Flamethrower (just in case). But now I can go the other way if I wanted so I've got no idea what to do. Considering only it and Dragonite can learn EQ I suspect I may have to have that whatever I do (as Dragonite doesn't really have room for that). That said, it's such a powerful move that even if I went special with everything it'd probably be fine.

Dragonite @Leftovers
Nature? EVs?
Ice Punch
ExtremeSpeed
Dragon Dance
???

Ice Punch is a must considering I have no ice attacks elsewhere, I like ExtremeSpeed, and Dragon Dance is such a ridiculous stat move I couldn't really miss it. I'm thinking a Dragon attack for the last slot, however I have no idea which.

-------------------

So yeah, if someone can balance that as much as they can (I know, I've not given you much to work with) I'd be ever so greatful.

ImmunityBow
04-11-10, 04:47 PM
Espeon @Leftovers
Modest 255 SpAtk, 255 Spd (can't be bothered to carefully put the other 6 into Hp)
Psychic
Substitute
Calm Mind
Signal Beam

Xatu @Leftovers
Modest 255 SpAtk, 255 Spd
Psychic
Thunder Wave
Giga Drain
Wish

I'm probably biased since I love Wish, but it's useful since you've only got solo counters to a lot of specific things, and they need to be healed.

Ampharos @Leftovers
Max HP, Modest. Other EVs can go where you like. Since you're not running Focus Punch you might need to run lots of SAtk EVs for Blissey
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Thunder Wave
Focus Blast

I'm not sure which is better out of TBolt and Discharge... In 3rd Gen I had Focus Punch, but with the newer special fighting attack I figured I may as well convert to that instead. Thunderbolt, since you already have 100% stun with TWave

Scizor @Leftovers
Adamant, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Brick Break
Bug Bite / Roost / Quick Attack

You could also run U-turn since the scouting purposes work very well with Dragonite.

Seviper @Leftovers
Shed Skin
Adamant, 244 HP, 76 Atk, 188 Def
Rest
Sleep Talk
Earthquake
Poison Jab

The reasoning for this is that you have no one to take status. And if you're going to use an NU Pokemon, why not take advantage of Shed Rest? Still deals a number with the rest of the moves, too.

Dragonite @Life Orb
Rash/Mild, 112 Atk, 196 Sp. Atk, 200 Spe
Superpower
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Ice Beam

You shouldn't use Dragon Dance considering that you have 2 other Pokemon who need setup. You need a Pokemon that can dominate the battlefield as soon as it switches in. You may want to run Choice Specs or Choice Scarf instead, the former for more power, the latter to be more reliable versus Salamence and Flygon, who otherwise rip your team apart. With Choice Scarf the power decrease is such that you may want to run max Sp. Atk and Focus Punch over Superpower.

Limkins
04-11-10, 05:01 PM
I think you might need to do a complete overhaul because Tyranitar and Garchomp rip through this team. Espeon is <3 though.

A good Scizor set nowadays would be Technician - SwordsDance/BulletPunch/Roost/X-Scissor. Obviously can't sweep as effectively but it has 2 STAB moves to boot aswell as being able to heal and sweep.

You can be brave and run 3 set up pokemon with Dragonite going with DragonDance/Outrage/EQ/IcePunch. You have no need for ExtremeSpeed at all, with one or 2 DDs, you'll outspeed everything anyways and it's only a 90 power move. Outrage is a stab move and like yeah, good stuff. I'll do a proper set up later for everything but I'm still adjusting to the DP metagame so yeah...

Inevitable
04-11-10, 06:21 PM
Hmm...

With regard to the actual team. As I said, I realise it's not that balanced in terms of pokemon, but I don't want to change it. Anyway, I have no intention of knowingly going up against something that's been classed as an uber for a long time now, and Tyranitar... well, best I can do with that is that it won't survive a switch into either subbed Espeon or subbed Ampharos. It also wouldn't survive IB's suggested Scizor setup there.

I never considered Bug Bite and Roost (it can't fly), but now that I think about it, Bug Bite will be getting 90 power from Technician...