PDA

View Full Version : Rename suggestion topic

ImmunityBow
06-02-10, 01:51 AM
There are some names in Topaz that some people have qualms with, whether it be because they lack flavour, or don't stick to cannon, or otherwise. Here is the place to suggest changes to the names.

A few of my issues, will be added to as people name their own:

1. Frost Town - This is a pretty lame town name. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin)
2. Champion's Tower - Also pretty lame. It doesn't have to be a tower, by the way (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin)

Other people have expressed that they have issue with some of the Gym Leader's names, namely (haha) those such as Froy, Therma, and Osiro, since they aren't used names.

Ideas?

Quinn
06-02-10, 02:14 AM
possibly snowcap town (village)
I have no idea what the champions tower is, so maybe the champion's layer?
I dont see problems with the gym leader names. I dont think you would see watson too often.

SilentSentinel
06-02-10, 02:28 AM
I like Champion's tower personally. But perhaps frost town could be changed.

ImmunityBow
06-02-10, 03:30 AM
Watson is a given name, it appears more often than you might think.

Personally I hate the name "Champion's Tower". I mean, it's a tower. For champions. It seems really lazy and obvious to me.

SilentSentinel
06-02-10, 03:43 AM
Yeah, but it has "victory" all over it. Maybe, "Pinnacle of Triumph" or something? I don't know.

ImmunityBow
06-02-10, 04:03 AM
"Pinnacle of Triumph" is infinitely better than "Champion's Tower" IMO.

Nothing quite captures the feeling of Indigo Plateau, though.

SilentSentinel
06-02-10, 04:46 AM
Maybe "something Spire," that way it keeps the rock tower thing going.

Quinn
06-02-10, 04:23 PM
Victors (Layer, Pinnacle)
Triumphant (Layer, Pinnacle)

neon.Barnacle
06-05-10, 05:08 AM
Personally I'm fine with Champion's Tower, but an alternative name could be Dream Spire, since all trainers dream of climbing it, and spire is a wordplay on inspire.

It doesn't have to be a tower, by the way
Since when?

ImmunityBow
06-05-10, 06:58 PM
Dream Spire is great.

It does have to be a tower? I've never heard that restriction before. I just assumed that it was a tower since that was what it was. I thought it'd be better not to restrict the ideas to tower-based names, so that's why I added that in. Dream Spire and Pinnacle of Triumph both play very well into a tower theme so it seems like it isn't going to matter anyway.

NyteFyre
06-06-10, 02:33 AM
Pinnacle of triumph reminds me too much of Spear Pillar for some reason. i gotta go with Dream Spire on this one.

Maybe Glacial Village or something to replace frost town? Also, i don't like gym leaders to have more common names, i prefer the ones we have.

ImmunityBow
06-06-10, 04:14 AM
But there are some that could work out. For instance, Gerad. It sounds like it would be something derived from "Generate" or something, isn't a real name, and doesn't sound particularly awesome. Someone, I think it was Quinn, misspelt it as "Gerard" and I thought, that could actually be his name.

neon.Barnacle
06-06-10, 07:14 AM
There are some canon gym leader names that are just as, if not more uncommon than the Topaz ones: Lt. Surge, Morty, Brawly, Wattson (spelled with two t's), Gardenia, and Fantina, just to name a few. The names we have are fine imo.

tyking16
06-06-10, 08:07 AM
Maybe Snowfall Town or possibly Polar Town? Heck even Boreal Town could work if Snow Town is in the souther part of the region.

ikkyblob
06-06-10, 02:11 PM
I'd like Dreamer's Spire more than Dream Spire.

Dream spire just doesn't sound right to me.

ImmunityBow
06-06-10, 02:57 PM
While Lt. Surge and Morty are perfectly fine names (last names can be anything, Morty is just Mortimer shortened), yeah, stuff like Gardenia is a good counterexample. It was Inevitable who found it a major issue anyhow.

Merlin
06-09-10, 09:19 PM
I like all the names cept for the frost town part.
why not try Inuit City/Town/Village (whichever it's supposed to be there)--would kinda make sense do the fact that the Inuit are basically eskimos and they live in cold regions like Canada/Alaska...
it's a way of giving it the "cool" name without being bland and at the same time giving out a little bit of history (if that's what people want)

STT
06-10-10, 12:09 AM
How about Everest Village? Everest because it's on a mountain and Village for obvious reasons. That good?

MewLoverEX
06-10-10, 04:22 AM
Frost Town ---> Frigid Point/Village.
Champion's Tower ---> Victory Valley (if it was, you know... a valley) / Victory Pinnacle

Will think of more tomorrow.

Quinn
06-10-10, 04:07 PM
Shiver. I was playing super mario galaxy 2, and I saw the "shiver burn galaxy". I think shiver is a good word we could use in frost town.

neon.Barnacle
06-11-10, 02:35 AM
Flurridge Town, Boreala Town, maybe?

Also, IB, you going to make a poll for these or something?

Obtuse
06-11-10, 05:41 PM
Triumph Spire maybe?

Zenith
06-12-10, 08:47 PM
Seconding Triumph Spire. But I also like the idea of making it a man-made tower. Gives us a reason to make Victory Road something besides a cave for once, and maybe we can make a couple Zelda references.

Quinn
06-12-10, 08:55 PM
Like one of the temples (hopes shadow or spirit temple)

NyteFyre
06-13-10, 12:40 AM
Oh god, not the shadow temple. I hated that place with a passion, though it's boss was probably the easiest of them all.

(Nocturne of Spirit anyone?Just kidding, that's not even the real song, it's Nocturn of Shadow, and Requiem of Spirit.)

Black Temple Gaurdian
06-13-10, 07:02 PM
Champion's Tower --> Victory Spire
Abit unoriginal but meh, it's a pokemon game, it's what you expect.

Phoenixsong
06-13-10, 07:07 PM
Popping in very briefly to say that Froy is, in fact, actually a name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Repo) Not common in the slightest, but at least a nickname if not a proper name--it's not unheard of. Therma, Gerad and Osiro are slightly more valid complaints, but personally I don't care.

(Gardenia is a name too, by the way--Fantina and Brawly are the only proper counterexamples I can really think of.)

ImmunityBow
06-14-10, 02:32 AM
Victory Spire reminds me too much of Victory Road, I'm not very enamoured of the way it sounds either. Do you all think a poll is really necessary? Sometimes it's easy enough just to find a general consent on the topic itself.

Black Temple Gaurdian
06-14-10, 06:26 AM
Victory Spire reminds me too much of Victory Road, I'm not very enamoured of the way it sounds either. Do you all think a poll is really necessary? Sometimes it's easy enough just to find a general consent on the topic itself.

I was sorta thinking that. My idea was that the victory road part would be the lower halve of the spire.

Zenith
07-04-10, 04:01 AM
On a different note...what about changing Sunset Village to the less generic Sundusk Village?

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-04-10, 10:39 AM
Nah, Sunset's a word, I doubt you'd find Sundusk in the dictionary. Besides it sounds all wrong.

Phoenixsong
07-04-10, 02:01 PM
I agree that it doesn't flow quite as smoothly as sunset, but most Pokémon cities and towns have names that aren't words and are instead portmanteaus. Ecruteak, Rustboro, Twinleaf, etc.. Caldera/Kirant already has a few non-word names, too, like Softwind and Cranewing. Gen I was really the only one that stuck to straight-up color names.

Silver
07-04-10, 02:21 PM
how 'bout snowtip village
eh?

Merlin
07-07-10, 08:00 PM
I have this feeling that this city is gonna go thru a boatload of names before it's finished and that it's gonna take a long time to settle on one...
Just got a crazy idea....
how about Aurora??
it'd be a good name since it's supposed to be kinda cold anyway...
short for like auroraborealis (northern lights) or the other one which i forget alot (southern lights)
plus it can sound colorful as well as cold...

Quinn
07-08-10, 03:16 AM
I like aurora. My Saint Nick dude will color the place up in an area, along with maybe some flicks of color here and there. The only thing I'm not so sure with it, is I dont think Aurora Town/Village sounds too great. Shouldn't it have the Fortree, Lavaridge Mistvale goldenrod thing to it. I'm not so sure but maybe Aurorate town (not a big fan of that myself)

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-08-10, 12:02 PM
Uh no. And it's Fort-Tree, they just removed an "T".

Quinn
07-08-10, 04:38 PM
shiverville village.

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-08-10, 05:25 PM
Aurorete Town. Aurora + Erete (with a funny "e"), that is, if it's high up in a mountainous area

Quinn
07-08-10, 05:26 PM
isn't that what I had?

neon.Barnacle
07-08-10, 05:56 PM
How about Firnette Town, as in "small firn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firn)"?

Quinn
07-08-10, 06:01 PM
It actually reminds me of a plant rather than that snow type.
Porette Village? Polar Erette (kinda sounds weird)

Polarette Village? (Doesn't have to be a village, could be town)

Quinn
07-08-10, 06:03 PM
Polarette

Aurorail Village Aurora Hail (that actually kinda has a "ping" to it, with maybe a little rephrase)

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-08-10, 10:53 PM
Way to double post! Anyway there's a big difference between ete and ate. Honestly though, a word of advice. Say it outloud, would you ever name somewhere that iif you could? If not, rethink it.

So anyway, ummm Glacial Town (Glacier +Hail misspelt), or Cornet Town (cornetto)

Quinn
07-09-10, 12:05 AM
what happened with the double post? I thought I deleted the 1st....god.

I would love to name a place aurorette or in that area.

Zenith
07-09-10, 07:17 PM
Aurorelle, maybe? But it sounds more mystical than what we're probably going for.

neon.Barnacle
07-09-10, 07:25 PM
The word aurora comes hard off the tongue. I'd rather not use it for a city name.

Cyndadile
07-09-10, 08:20 PM
Not really...

Zenith
07-09-10, 08:57 PM
Yeah, you have a point.

We need a name that sounds Ice-related, but warm and inviting. I mean, Saint Nick is there, and and the music we have for the village is uplifting. The name has to fit that.

Quinn
07-09-10, 11:45 PM
Eretail town?

Shivail? Shiver Hail

Blizail? Blizzard Hail

Frostard Frost Blizzard (wtf?)

Chilair chilly air.

Snowchill. That one is obvious, but it seems to have a ring to it. Kinda like "snowpoint". Obvious, but still kinda nice.

ImmunityBow
07-10-10, 01:50 AM
How about Snowsummit Town?

Also, is anyone of the opinion that Jalsida maybe needs a rename? If I'm not mistaken (OddCrow was the original one who said this), Jalsida is based off of Jacob's Ladder Cicada.... which only makes sense if you know that Jalsida was originally Electric/Bug, not Flying/Bug (I have no idea why this was changed).

NyteFyre
07-10-10, 01:54 AM
Too many electric types, maybe?
Anyway, i'm no good at names, so I can't help there.

Quinn
07-10-10, 02:19 AM
I'm not even gonna try with Jalsida. :P

I think this snow one totally buried chapions tower's change.

Cranky Guy
07-12-10, 09:38 AM
How about Frostiver Town? (Frost+ Shiver)

Jalsida allways seemed like a grasshoppper to me. Just some random suggestions. Elecada, Jacoda, Grassada. Jalsida sounds fine to me though.

Back to champions tower. How about Peak Of Glory? Dreamer's spire sounds pretty good to though.

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-12-10, 03:45 PM
Triumph Pillar

Quinn
07-12-10, 04:51 PM
I actually really like Frostiver. Its good, upbeat, yet not "big" sounding like some of the others. I still kinda like Jalsida.

Using my mixing powers...Triumph Spire.

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-12-10, 08:30 PM
Already suggested.
I know:
"That Place Where The E4 Is At!!1" :P

Merlin
07-12-10, 09:07 PM
lol
maybe we should turn this into 2 topics, one for E4 and the other for the snow town...
(maybe we can use the mexican/spanish word for nick/nicholas and call the town San Nick or whatever the translated word is...)

Quinn
07-12-10, 11:03 PM
hahahah. That would be funny. You finally reach the end of victory road, and you exit. Up in the little bar it says "the place where the elite 4 is". lol. That would be laugh out funny (for the nerd like me).

I still like Frostiver. Frostiver town. Frostiver village.

although, if you can find the spanish thingy for that...post it. It shouldn't be completely like it. It could be Shiv_____ town. Or whatever sounds right.

Cyndadile
07-12-10, 11:17 PM
Hows Shivfrio town? Shiver, Frio (spanish for cold)?

Some spanish words:
Frio=Cold
Nieva=Snow
Fresco=Cool
Helado=Ice Cream

Quinn
07-12-10, 11:20 PM
Helaver city!!!! lolz jk on that one.

I'm still for frostiver, but another?
Fresnow city?

Black Temple Gaurdian
07-13-10, 08:10 AM
Shivete?

Cyndadile
07-13-10, 12:04 PM
Sorry, nieve is snow. Nieva=it is snowing, and nevar=to snow.

Merlin
07-13-10, 11:33 PM
San Nieve? San Nieva? San Nevar?
Sans Never?
idk it's kinda hard but the Frostiver isn't that great a name...
(then again we have cities in america named Dish, Hell, Heaven and a few other names that are insane to have...)
along with a springfield everywhere...
hey it should be called Springfield!!!

neon.Barnacle
07-14-10, 02:46 AM
I actually like San Nieva.

Cyndadile
07-14-10, 11:25 AM
It actually really irritates me. It may just be that I speak Spanish, so I know that it means Saint It Is Snowing, who, to my knowlege, is not a real Saint.

Quinn
07-14-10, 04:41 PM
If anything, shouldn't it be japanese instead of spanish if anything?

Cyndadile
07-14-10, 04:47 PM
Yeah, well there is Artic-UNO, Zap-DOS, and Mol-TRES who say differently. :)

Quinn
07-14-10, 04:49 PM
DUDE! I NEVER KNEW THAT! that is cool.

Cyndadile
07-14-10, 05:03 PM
DUDE! I NEVER KNEW THAT!

I take it you never took Spanish?

Quinn
07-14-10, 05:08 PM
nope. As much as I wanted to before, its way to late now.

Cyndadile
07-14-10, 05:13 PM
No it is not. It would still be fairly easy to learn.

Back on topic, how's Frieva Village?

Quinn
07-14-10, 05:15 PM
I think it should be easier to say. Frostiva?

Merlin
07-15-10, 09:34 PM
yeah i was looking at it when someone mentioned the spanish names for snow and i knew what would happen...
yes San means Saint and Los/Las are the male and female forms of the word THE...
btw before yall ask i took french not spanish they are very closely related and i've found that you can actually translate french/spanish really acurately vs. trying to translate japanese to english or something else that's really freaking hard to translate...

although yes it should be in japanese but the words are hard to pronounce most times that's why i chose spanish cause it'd make sense...
and another thing is you have to pronounce the word correctly for fear of insulting the japanese dude or making yourself look like an ***
course calling it Eskimo Town could just solve a lot of problems right there...
(hey we should try out one of the 300 words that the Eskimos have for snow!!!)-_-

ImmunityBow
07-17-10, 01:18 AM
Eskimo is a word both derogatory and inaccurate (It means "Eater of raw meat"). I know most people wouldn't mind but I'm not entirely comfortable with that.

Quinn
07-17-10, 01:42 AM
HAHAHAHA. "eater of raw meat" town. Where everyone is canible and you better get that badge fast. Santa might eat you!!!

What he meant is what escimos call snow. *not that I even knew they had a different language

neon.Barnacle
07-17-10, 01:44 AM
Guys, keep in mind that we also have a dungeon called Mt. Frost, which is right above Frost Town. We might need to change the mountain's name if we change Frost Town's name, although that's not really necessary...

Also, this is going nowhere. We've yet to come up with a name we can all agree on. If this continues then I'm just going to suggest keeping the name Frost Town.

Quinn
07-17-10, 01:48 AM
I repeat.

Fresnow.
Aurorette.

Frostail.

ImmunityBow
07-17-10, 01:49 AM
Actually part of the reason why I'm not liking Frost Town is precisely because of Mt. Frost. We don't have a "Moon Town" or a "Pyre Town". San Nieva does flow well, if San is causing issues Las Nieva (I'm assuming snow is feminine though I could be wrong) sounds okay too.

Cyndadile
07-17-10, 10:30 AM
Las Nieves would be more accurate. But I agree on having the mountain and the town different.

Quinn
07-17-10, 04:42 PM
I would suggest having a mix of languages. Las Nievas might not be the best user friendly to the non spanish knowers...so do like what they did with Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. English, and spanish.

Merlin
07-19-10, 11:07 PM
that'd be fun to have to do...
though i do like the San Nieva, Las Nieva and the Las Nieves...
and ya'll are probably gonna hate me for doing this but what about Mt. Fuji?
it's the mountain in japan that's covered in snow year round and that would be good should we need to change the mountain name or something but kinda doesn't make for a great town name...

so yeah the Las/Los/San Nieva/Nieves name works...
then again if we want English-Spanish then Nieva/Nieve Town could work...
or Saint Nieves

Silver
07-20-10, 11:14 PM
i hope your on somethin

Merlin
07-20-10, 11:40 PM
no not high unless you mean something else in which case still no...

Silver
07-20-10, 11:41 PM
good

Merlin
08-05-10, 11:40 PM
I see that the last post of this topic was the day before my birthday so i'm curious did we succede in getting a good name for the snowtown or are we still debating it???

NyteFyre
08-05-10, 11:55 PM
According to the SoT, We're still debating both topics.

Merlin
08-06-10, 08:16 PM
okay i just noticed it hadn't been posted in for a while so i wasn't sure...
are these going on in different topics now or is it still gonna be held here?

Quinn
08-06-10, 08:19 PM
I guess there here still.

Totally serious, I'm still not a fan of San Neiva *or what it is

The Triump pillar or whatever did sound good though.

Merlin
08-06-10, 08:26 PM
yeah that one does sound good but i can't really think of anything else to call the snowtown
unless there's like a japanese name we could use for the name of the town....
which actually kinda occured to me why not use the japanese name for Snowpoint?
then we could get away with the name and not many people would notice...
course it just kinda delays what to actually name the danged snowtown to begin with...
what's japanese for icicle?

Black Temple Gaurdian
08-07-10, 12:13 AM
I have an idea, to quote:

let us unashamedly rip what was good out of it using a knife inscribed with 'Blood and Retcons' and move on.
That refering, in this case, to DPPl. So yeah, why not call it Snowpoint?

ImmunityBow
08-07-10, 12:21 AM
Because Las Nieves flows off the tongue beautifully?

Black Temple Gaurdian
08-07-10, 12:24 AM
Personally, I wouldn't even know where to begin pronouncing "Nieves" (Knee-eve-s?)

ImmunityBow
08-07-10, 12:26 AM
I don't know Spanish but I think it's
"Knee-eh-veh-s"

Cyndadile
08-07-10, 11:35 PM
Basically. Spanish is fun because it is spelled how it is pronounced. The only problem is vowels. A is pronounced "ah", E is pronounced "eh" (exactly like the English pronunciation of the letter A [on its own, not in a word]), I is pronounced like the English letter "E", O is just like an English "O", and U is basically "ooo". Not that most of that matters for this. Also, unless otherwise accented, the accent is always over the second to last syllable if the word ends in a vowel, an "n" or an "s". Otherwise, it is the last syllable. Just a little Spanish lesson.

So, it is "Knee-Ay-Vays".

Black Temple Gaurdian
08-08-10, 02:47 AM
Naah, don't like it personally. Umm... Gela Glaciese (not sure on speeling. G-Eh-La Glass-ie-ss), Algor (President :P), Algidus.
I noticed the more popular ones don't have the suffix "town" or "village" so neither do these. Also Ancient says hi (anyone get the refrence?)

ImmunityBow
08-21-10, 10:23 PM
Triumph Spire will win in 3 days time if no one objects.

Though now that I think about it even "Triumph Tower" doesn't sound too bad because of the alliteration.

hobo
08-21-10, 10:54 PM
I have a suggestion for renaming of Frost Town......How about Alazarin Town? i searched for a list of colors on google and alazarin was a color i found. its a shade of red, but Pryce is ice type and he's in Mahogany Town, so........yeah.

totodileman
08-22-10, 11:11 PM
I saw the list.

Here are losts of blues.

Aqua
Aquamarine
Azure
Baby Blue
Ball Blue
Bondi Blue
Brandeis Blue
Capri
Cyan
dodger
Gainsboro
Glaucous
Halaya ube
Han
Lapis lazuli
Majorelle Blue
Maya blue
Moonstone blue
Oxford Blue
Palatinate blue
Phthalo blue
Prussian blue
Skobeloff
Spiro( Disco Ball)
Teal
Verdigris
Zaffre

There are MANY options...so mix and match is DEFNETLY not needed, but I think it would be better.
Lets see here.

Azurecouse is just one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

hobo
08-22-10, 11:20 PM
Skobeloff town sounds good. so does Zaffre, and Oxford.

ImmunityBow
08-23-10, 01:55 AM
Skobeloff has a distinctively northern feel to it, true.

SilentSentinel
08-23-10, 03:50 AM
That doesn't really roll off the tongue. I kinda liked Las Nieves tbh.

totodileman
08-23-10, 04:35 AM
Halaya?

I like Azure best though. Mix it with something like Frostazure

Black Temple Gaurdian
08-23-10, 11:17 AM
Naah, don't like it personally. Umm... Gela Glaciese

So yeah, since it was totally overlooked.

totodileman
08-23-10, 04:58 PM
Gela could be cut, since galciese has a feel to it. But again, so does AZURE.

hobo
08-26-10, 02:38 PM
i still like Skobeloff the best.

NyteFyre
08-29-10, 07:39 PM
I have to agree with Hobo, and friends. Skobeloff Town is reminicsent of a Skandanavian name, and fits the nothern area in my opinion, over this Spanish name that would better fit a desert city.

Reliability
08-29-10, 07:40 PM
I have to agree with Hobo, and friends. Skobeloff Town is reminicsent of a Skandanavian name, and fits the nothern area in my opinion, over this Spanish name that would better fit a desert city.

This.

Zenith
08-30-10, 04:29 AM
As long as we give the village a more Scandinavian feel to it, so the name works.

Cyndadile
08-30-10, 08:17 PM
That could work.

hobo
08-30-10, 11:31 PM
sounds good to me.

Silver
09-01-10, 09:32 PM
agreed
IB?

Black Temple Gaurdian
09-01-10, 09:40 PM
I still prefere my suggestion. Meh.

ImmunityBow
09-02-10, 01:12 AM
Okay, what about Triumph Spire? Am I right to assume that everyone's fine with that?

Black Temple Gaurdian
09-02-10, 01:26 AM
Well I am, IIRC (I probably don't) I suggested it :P

NyteFyre
09-02-10, 01:56 AM
Yeah, Triumph Spire is fine with me.

Cyndadile
09-02-10, 10:58 AM
I agree.

Reliability
09-02-10, 01:44 PM
That's fine with me.

hobo
09-02-10, 06:51 PM
i like it

Merlin
09-03-10, 05:34 PM
I'm cool with the Triumph Spire...
but about the Skobeloff thing it sounds more Russian than Scandinavian....
though i do like my name for it better....
but if there is a way in which to make it not sound like it belongs to a desert town that would be great...

gligar
09-27-10, 04:20 AM
What about grand castle

Merlin
09-30-10, 09:27 PM
That's not bad but i think some sort of change to it might make it better...
i cant think of what it would be currently but it doesnt sound bad...

Tyrannigon64
01-03-11, 01:25 AM
Mufflake town?