PDA

View Full Version : Avalanche and Bug Bite Name Change?

ImmunityBow
03-21-11, 04:05 PM
What do you think about changing the names of Avalanche and Bug Bite so they won't be confused with the D/P moves?

Tyrannigon64
03-21-11, 04:28 PM
Interesting, because I've been looking into Topaz moves and effects myself, looking at elements of the move that others may not think about (see my question in the question thread). I would be for it, except I can't think of anything else that would make sense. What kind of name could we give to a Bug type move that causes burn?

ImmunityBow
03-21-11, 04:42 PM
Inflamation, maybe. Avalanche could be changed to something to do with Sleet.

NyteFyre
03-21-11, 04:50 PM
Fire Ant? Bug Burn?

also, what's another name for an Avalanche? A snow fall?

Konrad
03-21-11, 06:14 PM
Glacier and Mandible Twist?

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-21-11, 06:19 PM
Short answer, no. Long answer: Why change them, you might as well add D/P pokemon for the same reason. The project clearly states it rejects DP so why would it have DP moves, and why only those two?

NyteFyre
03-21-11, 06:23 PM
I believe That the people here at Topaz, prior to us, had thought of those moves before Gen 4 had come out, and Gen 4 happened to have those 2 moves. IB just thought about how some people might mistake them for the Gen 4 moves, and figured we should rename them. I don't think IB pulled those moves from Gen 4, but simply a coincidence of names happened.

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-21-11, 06:25 PM
^ That's what I'm saying...

Konrad
03-21-11, 06:25 PM
I think you misunderstand. The name change would be to avoid confusion with the D/P moves, not to make room to add them to the game.

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-21-11, 06:31 PM
No I think you misunderstood. He's asking if we should have a name change. I'm saying no, screw DP. If nothing else is from it, why would anyone who's not an idiot think that those two specific moves alone would be. You see what I mean now?

NyteFyre
03-21-11, 06:40 PM
Ok, Now i see where you're coming from. Yeah, I can see that, but let's face it, a good majority of the population are idiots who can, and most likely will question why those 2 "D/P" moves are in Topaz, and why they don't do what they do in D/P. Better safe than stupid, trolling sorry. Cause people most likely will spam the help section with the same thing over and over: "y avalanche/bugbite no work rite?" and others will troll with "Haha, you stupid, putting those D/P moves in a 3rd gen game, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH TrOLlOLOLOLOLOLOL."

I'm just saying, is all.

Blade Flight
03-21-11, 06:44 PM
No need to call people names, BTG.

And there people who ask how to play the game when we don't have a demo out; what makes you so sure that they won't skip our FAQ and assume that we DO have lots of Gen Four stuff?

As for names, I thought of Irritation or Nibble as names for Bug Bite, and Frost Rush or Snow Rush for Avalanche.

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-21-11, 06:58 PM
And there people who ask how to play the game when we don't have a demo out; what makes you so sure that they won't skip our FAQ and assume that we DO have lots of Gen Four stuff?.

mainly the lack of anything else DP. Meh. Damn you 4th gen.

Cyndadile
03-21-11, 07:03 PM
Snow Rush for Avalanche.
...and Rash for Bug Bite.

NyteFyre
03-21-11, 07:23 PM
I prefer Inflammation, and Snow Rush.

ImmunityBow
03-21-11, 08:01 PM
BTG there is precedent. Just look at the whole confusion around OI's Phantern and our Phantern. And that's not even in canon. It's often best just to change it just to avert the connection, it's easier for everyone.

SilentSentinel
03-21-11, 11:55 PM
I like Chill Burst for Avalanche if we decide to change it, but I don't have much of an opinion regarding whether we should actually change the moves or not.

zeroality
03-22-11, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I think we should change the names.

Bug Bite is a popular move for Scizor due to getting powered up by Technician - which actually makes it stronger than the higher base power X-Scissor.

Avalanche is also seen on random sets here and there. These two moves are well-known enough that they'd cause confusion.

BTG, I know it sucks - but if we can avoid confusion then we should. I like some of the names suggested in this thread so far, we should run polls.

Tyrannigon64
03-22-11, 03:43 PM
While we're at it, should we change the name of Iron Fist? It's also the name of an ability introduced in Gen 4 that increases the power of punching moves.

Reliability
03-22-11, 05:01 PM
I think the ability/move gap will make it less confusing then the two moves. People can logically recognize that the move is not the same as the ability.

we should run polls.
We probably have enough suggestions to run them now, but we can put it off for one or two days in case anyone thinks of something else.

ImmunityBow
03-22-11, 10:37 PM
I would not be averse to a name change for Iron Fist, though of course since it's less general (it involves a fist) it's limited in how much you can change it. If people are for it then sure.

SilentSentinel
03-22-11, 10:46 PM
I say we keep Iron Fist as it is. It's now an attack instead of an ability, and there isn't much that we can change it to without altering the meaning.

ImmunityBow
03-23-11, 06:32 PM
You could change it to something like Metal Punch would really losing anything.

XTS
03-23-11, 07:06 PM
Or something cooler like, I don't know, Gauntlet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(glove)). Or Metal Punch/Metal Fist works, too.

(indifferent on whether Iron fist needs to be changed, but I just like Gauntlet better as a name, so there's that)

Bug Bite and Avalanche should be changed, yes. Few (crappy) ideas for each:

Bug Bite: Fever Bite, Fever Sting (both meh)
Avalanche: Snow Fall, Icefall, Fjord (doesn't fit as well, but it does fit with Skobeloff Town)

SilentSentinel
03-23-11, 10:55 PM
Metal Punch seems so much more simplistic though, like a 3rd grader thought of it. It doesn't sound anywhere near as good as Iron Fist to me.

NyteFyre
03-23-11, 11:05 PM
Gauntlet sounds more non-simplistic, so that could work.

Tyrannigon64
03-23-11, 11:33 PM
Perhaps (type of metal) Fist/Punch/Gauntlet?

Cyndadile
03-23-11, 11:50 PM
Iron Gauntlet?

zeroality
03-24-11, 12:27 AM
I think Iron Fist is fine as is, but it's up to you guys.

Reli will start a poll for the other two names when he feels enough suggestions have been made.

Black Temple Gaurdian
03-24-11, 07:31 AM
Iron fist. No changing moves unnessicerilly. They were all decided once and really, who's going to mistake a move for an ability. I swear that B/W already has moves that share names with some abilities.