+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some random questions for the Topaz community!

stuff

Default Some random questions for the Topaz community!

A few questions for you guys...because I want to know the answers!

And because Topaz might benefit from them.

1. I have found that we can graphically customize Pokemon Eggs based on the species, much like how Manaphy's Egg is not the default Egg sprite. Would anyone else besides me want this? It might help those who shiny hunt in the game through breeding, but get bored halfway through and just toss the Eggs in their PC (or help those who just forget what's in which Egg)!

2. Do we want running enabled in buildings?

3. I mentioned it on the Pokemon.txt thread, but if Canileaf and Tundrolf's evo methods don't work out, would a location-based evo work better, do you guys think? Currently, Canileaf evolves upon defeating a Wolfrost in battle, and Tundrolf evolves upon defeating a Wolvine.

That should be it, I'd think...

Administrator

1. It's up to everyone.

2. I think there was a yes sometime before, but there isn't really any problem with this besides authenticity, and I guess yes it's up to everyone.

3. Why don't we see first what Konrad thinks about it? He might be able to edit the source code of the Essentials kit to allow for that kind of evolution.

stuff

No need, just got a reply from the 'crat on the wiki! Here:

Quote Originally Posted by Maruno
    The entire battle system was written in the scripts, so it's perfectly possible to make it do anything you want. The question is how much will you need to change to add in your feature.

The best way to go about this is to do it in two stages: decide which Pokémon can evolve, and then evolve them. Start with an array that represents the player's party, with each entry set to FALSE (e.g. $PokemonTemp.specialEvolution). When a Pokémon levels up in battle (in PokeBattle_Battle, pbGainEXP), check the species of the Pokémon that fainted and the species of the Pokémon that is gaining Exp. If the fainted is Lupine/Canileaf/Wolvine and the gainer is Tundrolf (and similar for a Canileaf gainer), set the appropriate value in the array to TRUE (Note: use its index in the regular party, not in the battle version of the party). This means it should evolve at the end of the battle.

The second part is to edit pbMiniCheckEvolution in PokemonEvolution, and add a separate bit after the cases there (this new bit isn't a case itself). Look at the Pokémon's party index (not easy; you might need to save it to Global Variable 1 first), and if the corresponding index in the new array is TRUE, it should evolve, so make it return poke.

As far as the array itself is concerned, it needs to be wiped after each battle, and set to all false at the beginning of each battle. The variable $PokemonTemp.evolutionLevels does something similar, so almost wherever it appears in the scripts, do something similar for your new array.

I won't bore you with the specifics. You'll need to figure out for yourself exactly what kind of code to use. From what I've described, though, it should be easy enough if you know some scripting.

What I have described will allow a Canileaf to evolve if it levelled up due to being a participant in a battle with any of the Huskii line (and vice versa), even if it was just switched out immediately. You could do the same for Zangoose/Seviper if you want, since they're the archetypal rival species.
    So, yes it is possible. Once I get back from job searching, I'll write the Lupine line's entries for Pokemon.txt.

As for the custom Eggs and indoor running, anyone else have a say about them?

Administrator

Wow that was a great answer. We may need to review all our special evolutions to see if they're present or not since I'm not sure if we want 6 or 7 checks after every battle for all the different kinds of evolutions we might have added, but I'm glad this one can be done without too much other strain.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Yes to running indoors. I thought we had already decided on that actually.

I wouldn't want customized eggs. The issues you have with eggs are, in my opinon, what makes them so fun.

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    Yes to running indoors. I thought we had already decided on that actually.
    I figured as much, but I wasn't entirely sure.

I wouldn't want customized eggs. The issues you have with eggs are, in my opinon, what makes them so fun.
    Oh, I *LOVE* the idea! I'd be willing to make Egg sprites!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

You did hit on that other thing, the fact that all of these sprites need to be MADE...

Tell you what. If the Pokemon txt. file is done by the end of October, I will personally make one egg option for each Topaz pokemon.

Secret Agent

1: We could try... after pokemon txt. (Which I will work on this weekend).
    2: Yes.

stuff

Tell you what. If the Pokemon txt. file is done by the end of October, I will personally make one egg option for each Topaz pokemon.

Overworlder (I think)

Can I make a few custom eggs?
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

Administrator

PikangX has told me that this project is closed on his part for now, since he burnt out from doing pokemon.txt.

Not your grandma's nerd

1) I would be fine with it if it were doable.
    2) Yes.
    3) I thought Canileaf and Tundrolf evolved after battling with each other, not with the final form. I'd be fine with either option.
    Helpful tip of the day:
    Want to become a great PI? Always remember to zip up your pants.

Administrator

3) PokePoindexter is right.

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by PokePoindexter View Post
    1) I would be fine with it if it were doable.
    It is, but it'd take up more time. I say if we do it at all, we do it AFTER the demo's out.

I could draw up the eggs on paint if you want. I'll just use the gamefreak egg shape (i mean the ones used in the games made by gamefreak) and redo the pattern and place shadow according to the gamefreak egg. Don't get angry at me if i do badly because I am very young compared to most of you guys and my only lessons in computer art (ie. sprites) are from Drawn to Life Nintendo DS, so I am probably one of the worst fitting to do this job but i have a lot of free time on my hands so i could probably finish itquickly.

There are some things i neeed to know first.

1.I need to know what sort of patterns to put on them. I could do the patterns of the actual pokemon like the anime eggs (excluding fincherp and togepi which have their eggs shown already).
    2.If I need to make eegs for legendaries.
    3.If I need to make eggs for the pokemon from Hoenn, Johto and Kanto.
    4.How i get the picture to whoever's taking it once I'm done. The best for me with this would be emailing the file.

If i do some thing wrong please tell me and I will try to fix it as best as I can. Wish me luck on my first job that actually helps people (and I'm serious about that this is the first major job i have done in my life). Please confirm that I can do this before I start work because i don't want to have completed half the eggs then be told I'm not meant to.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

1. The patterns are up to your discretion. Obviously it would be best to use the colours from the Pokemon itself and to look to each line's design as inspiration for patterns. But really, if you are taking the time to do it, you have artistic license.
    2. No. You also don't need to make eggs for Pokemon that cannot have eggs (i.e. genderless lines). Also note that each line needs an egg, and not each Pokemon.
    3. You only need to make eggs for the Pokemon appearing in Topaz from those regions. (Full list of all appearing Pokemon is here.) However, I would suggest doing Topaz Pokemon first. If we can get them done, we can end this project if it becomes too much work and just use the standard egg for the canonmon.
    4. The easiest would be uploading to imageshack or another file hosting website, then posting a link here. However, if you are completely opposed to that, let me know via PM when you're done and I'll give you an email to send to.

I would suggest doing one or three, then uploading those for feedback before you go ahead and do "half the eggs". Getting feedback may help you to improve and make better eggs as a whole.

Inheritance fan.

I could help with that.
    I have a lot of time as well.

+ Reply to Thread