+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Spriting Contest

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Default Pokemon Spriting Contest

Hello kids. Welcome to Pokemon Topaz Pokemon Spriting Contest 2012 (PTPSC2k12)

DA FORMAT
    The contest is a series of five rounds. Upon completion of each round, a score out of 10 will be awarded to each sprite along with an explanation. The contestants will receive points based on how well they placed in the round (person in first receives 6 points, person in second gets 5, and so on). Depending on the difficulty of the round, points will start at a higher number. Obviously the person with the most points by the end will win.

Each round will have a specified day on which the sprites are due, and getting them in before that day is the only way to guarantee that it will be counted. If a sprite is submitted late but I haven't gotten around to posting the results, I will allow the sprite to count. If you miss the boat, you're score for the round will be 0.

When making your sprite, you may use sprites from any game. Just keep in mind that quality is generally what I'll be looking for, so most rounds will lend themselves to using sprites from RSE, FRLG, DPP, or BW. But the game from which your materials come will never be restricted. It will simply be the Pokemon I want you to use. So if I want you to use Flareon, you could use it from any game you wanted, incuding Yellow if you were planning to revamp it or whatever.

All submissions should be done through PM. Please host your submissions on Imageshack or Photobucket instead of using the forum's album feature. This prevents someone seeing your work and copying an idea you had. This way, we can ensure any similarities are purely coincidental. DO NOT save as jpg. or submit something that is skewed somehow, as I will be judging the submissions based on what you submit, not what it's potential is.

Any decisions are purely my personal opinion. There are no appeals, no re-dos, and no whining. I am and have always been the sole judge of these competitions without incident, and I don't feel like its worth arguing over if you think that I'm wrong. This is my competition.

Without further ado....
    ROUND ONE
    Recolour

Basic, yes? The recolour is a form of spriting so simple that I actually don't really consider it an actual art form. Anyone can take a sprite, open MSPaint and use some right-click eraser action to create a recolour in less than five minutes.
    But I figured we can start off with something easy.

Your task is to choose any second generation Pokemon and recolour it with the palette of a fourth generation Pokemon of the same type or dual type (i.e. HootHoot recoloured Starly, Pineco recoloured Kircketune, ect.)
    Things to think about:
    • Try to choose an option that looks natural on the Pokemon, but is still a noticeable change
    • For an extra level of difficulty, try overshading. Here is a decent YouTube video explaining the process *The suggestion to overshade is for this challenge only.
    • As with any round with this much choice, what Pokemon you choose to use is a factor. Think about making unexpected choices where possible.

**If anyone not yet signed up would like to participate, they simply need to submit their sprite into the active round. Obviously coming in late puts you at a disadvantage, but it will be possible to place well coming into the second and third rounds.

The rounds will be long to facilitate the busy schedules I know most people have. The deadline is SEPTEMBER 29th. Therefore, the earliest that the results will be posted is 12:00am September 30th.
    Last edited by Reliability; 09-21-12 at 06:41 PM.

RPG Administrator

I have a question, as your wording seems a bit confusing. Are we taking a Second Gen Sprite, and recolouring it with the colors of a fourth generation Pokemon, or the other way around?

Edit: also, are we limited solely to Pokemon exclusive to Platinum, Pearl and Diamond? as in, we can't use a Pokemon's fourth gen sprite if it exists outside of Sinnoh? i.e. fourth gen sprite of Tailow.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Better Than That Guy

So wait are we:
    A - Taking a 2nd gen sprite and recolouring it with colours from a 4th gen sprite
    B - Taking a 2nd gen sprite and recolouring it with colours from a 4th gen pokemon
    C - Taking a 2nd gen pokemon and recolouring it with colours from a 4th gen sprite
    D - Taking a 2nd gen pokemon and recolouring it with colours from a 4th gen pokemon
    ?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian View Post
    D - Taking a 2nd gen pokemon and recolouring it with colours from a 4th gen pokemon
    I could have worded it better.
    I'll edit this into the first post, but for all rounds of this contest you can use any sprites you want from any generation. Obviously most of the time you'll want to use RSE and beyond, but I'll never force you to work with sprites from any specific game, only POKEMON will be targeted.

Spriter and Gym designer

Are we allowed to use shiny palettes (e.g. Chickorita recoloured with shiny Turtwig colours)?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

No, only the original colours.

Overworlder (I think)

Like this?

Elekid.png

Based on Pachirisu.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

Better Than That Guy

How do you want the submissions? PM or posted?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Totally thought I said PM in the first post, but jumped the gun and just wrote about using Imageshack. PM, always PM.

Secret Agent

Betcha can't beat this:

It's a Porygon2 recolored with Porygon-Z's palette.

Also, it would appear that the newest MS Paint can't do right-click eraser. I cried.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Interesting... didn't know that since I switched to Mac and don't get Paint anymore. It's a shame, that really helped me when doing mixes.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Thank you for those who got your entires in. No one did poorly, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Winner: Tyrannigon64 (Lanturn w/ Rotom (washer form))
    10/10
    This was easily my favourite. Simply being a fish means that Lanturn could go with anything in terms of colour. BUT, given the rules of this round, there was only one possible option from any generation. That's the kind of thing that catches my attention: you chose something really restraining and it still looks fabulous. Pokemon choice was excellent, and your overshading was done well. I have no real complaints.

Second:Black Temple Guardian (Umbreon w/ Darkrai):
    7.5/10
    Your overshading created a very smooth sprite, and the colours fit nicely together because of it. I like that you used white to make it a true colour change, but used it off of a black Pokemon. The main problem I had was the lack of any black in the sprite. I felt some heavier outlines were still needed here, especially some black in the eye.

Third: Cyndadile (Porygon-2 w/ Munchlax)
    7/10
    It's super cute and I like the colour choice generally. However, the dark colour in the beige/brown is very heavy for where it end up being on Porygon-2. Overshading some of the dark out would have helped.

Fourth: CrankyGuy (Elekid w/ Pachirisu)
    6/10
    The fact that you carried over the cheek patches was a creative touch, and I really enjoyed the sprite because of it. Opposite to BTG, I feel like your outlines were a bit heavy in general, and it would have been nice to see some lighter outlines in places, notably the arms and hands. There are also a few misplaced grey pixels, so just watch out for that.

STANDINGS (Points are in brackets)
    1. Tyrannigon64 (6)
    2. Black Temple Guardian (5)
    3. Cyndadile (4)
    4. Cranky guy (3)
    5. NyteFyre (0)
    6. Stoneheart (0)

Next round will be up in the next few days.
    Last edited by Reliability; 10-01-12 at 10:29 PM.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    Second:Black Temple Guardian
    Third: Cyndadile

STANDINGS (Points are in brackets)
    1. Tyrannigon64 (6)
    2. Cyndadile (5)
    3. Black Temple Guardian (4)
    4. Cranky guy (3)
    5. NyteFyre (0)
    6. Stoneheart (0)
    Something's not quite right here...

RELI EDIT: Fixed. Sorry, I had to fix like nine errors in that post as it was. Not a good day for me.
    Last edited by Reliability; 10-01-12 at 10:30 PM.

Better Than That Guy

To clarify, was the main problem the lack of black in the outline or in the body?

EDIT: Also, w00t, second! Still mostly sober from a drinking game (I kept winning), so I know that winning sometimes isn't the greatest thing and umm... I'd like to thank both Umbreon and Darkrai for their participation, Miltank and Regigas for their cooperation - even if it didn't work out, and Ampharos and Luxaray for the commitment.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian View Post
    To clarify, was the main problem the lack of black in the outline or in the body?
    It was the amount of points. Originally, Cyndadile was given 5 points, while you were given 4, though it should've been the other way around. Reli fixed it.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    It was the amount of points. Originally, Cyndadile was given 5 points, while you were given 4, though it should've been the other way around. Reli fixed it.
    He was asking about this:
    I felt some heavier outlines were still needed here, especially some black in the eye.
    Also, good job to everyone! I thought all of the entries looked pretty good.

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    RELI EDIT: Fixed. Sorry, I had to fix like nine errors in that post as it was. Not a good day for me.
    Are you maybe still suffering from all that drinking last weekend?

RPG Administrator

Bah, I'm sorry, I got so busy with school and other things that I completely forgot about this. I'll make sure to make round two a worthwhile sprite.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    He was asking about this:
    I felt some heavier outlines were still needed here, especially some black in the eye.
    I feel like such a derp right now.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

BTG: The lack of black in the eye was the biggest thing for me. When a sprite has absolutely no black in it, it looks washed out. And I might have done some black outlines on the feet and around other darker areas. It makes the shading more intense.

Cyn: Nope. It's something else I think.

Secret Agent

I had some time, so I fiddled around with overshading a bit. I think it turned out pretty nicely.

Does this address the issue you were talking about? What other things could use improvement?
    /totally using this contest as a way to improve my spriting.

Administrator

As someone who generally admires canon sprites, I'm surprised the top of Porygon 2's head is so... sharp. As a spriter I would have gone through great lengths to smooth that out probably.

That could be an awesome theme for a contest week, take an egregious canon sprite (some of the HGSS ones are good candidates) and improve its shading, outlines, anything you can think of.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    (some of the HGSS ones are good candidates)
    Really? In general, HGSS sprites are some of my favorites.

Better Than That Guy

HGSS were almost rubbish for shading black/blackish pokemon. Recolouring Umbreon white, if I hadn't overshaded, would of resulted in a flat looking pokemon.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

ROUND THE SECOND
    Type Change

This seems like a reasonable place to go after the last bit.

A type change is essentially taking one Pokemon and changing it's type to something else. It's a recolour, with a little bit of tasteful mixing or custom editing.
    I've made a tutorial for a basic process here, but feel free to use whatever process you want to achieve the goal.

The type you change to must be water, ice, or flying. You can change any Pokemon you want to these types except for any Pokemon that are water, ice, or flying. This means that you can't make Pidgey a water type or Dewgong and flying type. ALL these pokemon types are off limits, no matter what you're doing.
    --However, you may use pieces from these Pokemon types (i.e. put Pidgeotto wings on Weedle or Seel flippers on a Geodude)
    As before, all sprites are available for use.

Sprites go to my inbox with the following:
    -What Pokemon you used as your base (and what generation sprite you used ex. Ruby Absol)
    -What Pokemon you mixed with including pieces and colours (and what generation sprite)

The deadline is October 20th. If there are any problems with the rules, just PM it to me and I'll fix up this post.

Better Than That Guy

With work at Uni picking up, I may not be able to do it within two weeks. I will, however, try.

Secret Agent

We can create dual types, right? For example, making a fire type into fire/flying, fire/ice or fire/water?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'll say no. The instructions were to change it to one type.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I am very sorry. This was a long time to wait.

Winner: Tyrannigon64 (Water Torkoal)
    (7.5/10)
    This one pulled ahead because of its custom spriting, which looks pretty good. The idea is pretty easy to think of, but the colours are good and these two positives put it above the competition.

Second:Cranky Guy (Water Chandelure)
    (6.5/10)
    This was the best mixed sprite of the bunch, and it takes second because I really like the concept. This was the most creative idea, and I don't think too many people would think to work with Chandelure. The bottom could use some black outlines, but otherwise this is quite good.

Third: Cyndadile (Flying Diglet)
    (6.5/10)
    You put a lot of effort into scratching the wings and making custom colours, and they all look nice. But it's hard to wrap your head around the look. It has wings and is peaking out of a cloud, but I don't think it looks as realistic as the others. I would have liked some darker outlines on parts of the cloud, and maybe lay off them a little on the wings.

Fourth: BlackTempleGuardian (Flying Rapidash)
    (5/10)
    This seemed like an obvious change, since the flames translate into clouds pretty well, but in order to make up for that you would have to edit it enough to make it unique and not just a recolour. I don't think you've quite done enough. Further, as above, it doesn't come across as flying. It looks more like a fire type with smoke instead of flames.

Fifth: NyteFyte (Flying Nidoking)
    (3/10)
    You did pick good wings for Nidoking: they're the right level of power. It's just kinda messy. There are black bits where they shouldn't be, there are random brown pixels around some parts of the body and the sprite is cut off in two places. This is similar to Cyn's entry (base with wings sitting on a cloud), but this scored lower because the pieces weren't custom and weren't applied neatly. Simple and neat is better than complicated and messy.

STANDINGS (First is +8)
    1. Tyrannigon64 (14)
    2. Black Temple Guardian (10)
    2. Cyndadile (10)
    2. Cranky guy (10)
    5. NyteFyre (4)
    6. Stoneheart (0)

I'll be writing up the next round now.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

WORLD ROUND III
    5th Gen Mix

Mixing. You knew it was coming and now it's here.

One of the most basic forms of Pokemon spriting, mixing involves combining two or more Pokemon into one. Custom work can only be done if it directly translates into one of the Pokemon being mixed.
    For this round, you will be mixing TWO 5th generation Pokemon. Each of you have one Pokemon assigned to you, based on your IP adresses:
    BTG: Vanillite
    Cranky Guy: Gurdur
    Stoneheart: Simisear
    Tyrannigon: Krookodile
    Cyndadie: Darmantian
    NyteFyte: Drillbur
    You will be marked on the following:
    -What Pokemon you choose to use in combination with the one you've been assigned
    -Creativity
    -Neatness and flow
    -DO NOT OVERSHADE FOR THIS ROUND.

There's no need to send me any additional information, since there are limited sprite options and you won't be using custom colours. The deadline will be November 16th.
    (If anyone wants to jump into this round, PM me and I'll send you what Pokemon you'll be using)

RPG Administrator

are we allowed to use non 5th gen pokemon so long as we use at least 3 Pokemon, two of which are 5th gen?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

For this round, you will be mixing TWO 5th generation Pokemon.
    So, no. You are only using two Pokemon, and they both have to be 5th gen.

Better Than That Guy

Can I get a different sprite? Vanillite is effectively just a head.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

No. Be creative, there are lots of things you can do with it.

Better Than That Guy

Okay, to further clarify; the parts only have to come from the sprites right, they don't have to have the same number of parts?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

As long as it is a mix of two Pokemon, it can be any ratio.

Overworlder (I think)

Can I recolor parts?
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Yes. Here's a link to the CoD's tutorial on mixing.

Better Than That Guy

Well, my entry so far looks almost nothing like either of the original two, despite being made soley from their parts. That said, Vanillite, I hate you. I didn't like you before, the idea of an animate ice cream is obsurd, but now I need to use your features, apart from two swirls and an annoying face you have nothing. I'm glad I'm disecting you and using your pieces, because it's for something much more worthwhile.

Administrator

Any Pokemon with number greater than 499 is dead to me. Big ugly pig in the way >_>

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Any Pokemon with number greater than 499 is dead to me. Big ugly pig in the way >_>
    I don't know, I've kinda fallen for Joltik <3
    Mind you, that and it's evolution are the only two that do appeal to me.

+ Reply to Thread