+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pirate Watercolour

Administrator

Default Pirate Watercolour

Hey guys, I've been missing the past couple of days due to the 14 projects I had due for Friday for my Graphics for Theatre course. One of which was this, a costume rendering. I liked it a fair amount so I wanted to share it. The colours are a lot brighter in real life, but alas.

Secret Agent

Wow. That looks really good. How is stuff like that used?

Also, this may seem random, but did you use pencil for the sword and the grey on his boots? It seems to have an interesting effect.

Administrator

Basically I had a sketch that I drew in pencil in my sketchbook:

And then I tried to recreate that drawing as closely as I could on watercolour paper, which is heavier and can take more water. After that I taped down all the sides of the watercolour paper and started painting. The trick is to stir some water into a little bit of paint, tap a paper towel, dip the brush back into water, and then tap the paper towel again until you don't have the waxy feel of paint any more and then just colour areas. Then you can layer on shading as it dries. Then I re-outlined everything with a fine permanent marker. I used silver Sharpie for the boots and sword, it's pretty cool.

+ Reply to Thread