+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Isolation, No More

Valued Topaz Contributor

Default Isolation, No More

OoC: To shorten things up, got my Pokemon, met my rival, Kirin, who is a nice guy for the most part, started battling and had Celsinge use growl.

The irritating beeping of a loud and obnoxious alarm clock is where this story starts, one which is filled with happiness and sadness, triumph and failure, and ultimately, Pokemon.

Pokemon have always been there. No one knows really how they came into being, what their purpose is, or how they have the amazing abilities that they do, but they're the one consistent thing in this world. While people and places change, you'll always find Pokemon.

And this story has them too. Without a doubt, it has them.

------------------------------

Chron Trivum is a man of 18 years, raised in the isolate island community of Neo Bay, a part of the Caldera and Kirant Region. For as long as he could remember, Chron has lived in Neo Bay. It's unknown whether he was actually born there, but if he was, it wasn't something his mother would tell him. His mom, Clara Trivum, was an independent woman. She raised Chron alone in Neo Bay. That's about all he knows, though. She never talked about Chron's father or about her life before raising her son.

Being separated from his mom in this fashion, Chron has always felt the need to escape from Neo Bay, to go see the rest of the region and the people throughout it. The longer he spent in the same place as always, the longer he'd feel the need to know more about his early years. He doesn't not know that he was born in Neo Bay and that's all there was to it, but there's always been something that hasn't sat right with the thought. As painful as it was to ignore it, that's what Chron decided to do. Somehow, someway, he'd get away.

It wasn't until two weeks ago today when a stranger with a bunch of different gadgets and machines showed up in Neo Bay. Visitors weren't entirely unheard of, but people actually moving in with advanced technology and other incredible things was a bit of a shock. Professor Willow is the title and name she goes by. From what went around in rumor, she has been tracking certain Pokemon, but not much outside of that has been heard. She's kept to herself for the most part, but some sort of plan has brought her to Neo Bay.

Back to that annoying alarm clock, anyways...

------------------------------

Most people still living with their moms at my age tend to wake up to the drifting smell of fried eggs and crisp bacon. I on the other hand, don't exactly have a life like most people. My mother, Clara Trivum, tends to get up early in the morning, pack her things for work, and leave before I even get the change to wake up and say bye. Not that I would, anyways. We aren't exactly close-knit. She's the owner of a market on the island that buys goods from the local farmers and distributes them to the people of the community. From what I've seen, she doesn't exactly make a profit doing what she does, so I've never been too sure how she affords a home and food for us. It's really just another things I've chosen to ignore, anyways.

It was only two days ago, a Monday, when I was taking an easy and relaxing walk along the water surrounding Neo Bay and ran into Professor Willow sitting by the water. I stopped and said hi to her, to which she responded kindly with a simple hello. She seemed pretty interested in knowing a bit about me, but wouldn't really say much when I asked in return. For the most part, I must have said something right because she asked me to see her on Wednesday, which just so happens to be today.

And that brings us to now, a point in my life marking something different in my life. Not doing the same thing I do every day. Trying something new today. As I walked along the empty paths from the houses in the Bay to the commercial section where Professor Willow had set up her laboratory and technological equipment, I could hear the familiar howls of the wind that forced itself over land from the water. The mist that usually was accompanied with the flowing air wasn't felt near the middle of the island where I'm headed too, but after a while it almost always feels like it's there, regardless of where I'm at.

Several dozen minutes later found me approaching the shiny new building that Professor Willow had put up for her studies. I would have looked at it more, but the anticipation hurried me inside. Surprisingly, I wasn't the only one she had asked to come. Upon walking in, I discovered the presence of at least nine other residents of New Beo, ranging from twelve to twenty years old. It was a few minutes before the clamor died down and Professor Willow was able to speak.

"People of Neo Bay," she started, "for those who haven't heard much about me, I am Professor Willow. I have come to Neo Bay because my research has led me here. My research isn't something I can exactly accomplish alone, however, which is why I have asked for several of you to come see me here now. I can't say what it is that I am researching, since I don't know much about it myself yet, but I have in my possession, several young and rather rare Pokemon with high potential.."

At the mention of Pokemon, disruption and discussion became synonymous among the group of boys and girls gathered at the lab, to which I raised my own voice. "Hey, let's hear what else she has to say!" I shouted. The others kept their mouths shut from there on and paid attention.

To me, Professor Willow said, "Thank you...Chron, if I remember correctly." And with that, she continued. "There are many places to be explored, Pokemon to be seen, and mysteries to be unveiled in this region, so much that I just simply can't do it on my own. That's why I have asked you all to come here, so that I can send those willing out to explore the Caldera and Kirant and to be my eyes with what is going on outside of Neo Bay. I'm willing to give out some of my Pokemon to those who are interested in helping me."

Several of the people in the room got looks of mixed emotion on their faces: torn at the thought of leaving home, but excited at the thought of adventure. Two boys and one girl stood up, apologized for turning down the offer of helping Professor Willow, and abruptly left. The other six, and myself, stayed seated and said that we were interested. With which Professor Willow brought out three red and white spherical capsules. They are what are known as pokeballs, but I haven't seen one in Neo Bay for several years. We aren't exactly a community of Pokemon-owners, after all.

The seven of us got in line to choose the Pokemon that we wanted, after the three were released from the pokeballs Professor Willow had. Of course, they weren't the only three she had, they were just for us to see and choose which kind we would like. The first one that came up was a rather feisty green, plant looking Pokemon. It looked like a living and breathing venus fly trap, and was accordingly known as a Venap. It didn't spark my interest much, however. The second to be released from its container was small lion cub-like Pokemon, called a Celsinge. Its ears and the end of it's tailed were doused in colorful fire, which didn't seem to hurt it one bit. It has an air of peacefulness to it as it sat their staring at the humans in front of it. The final Pokemon shown to us was a dolphin-like Pokemon, Echoise. It flopped a little as it was startled by all of the people starting at it, but soon calmed down and became comfortable.

One by one, the boys and girls in front of me pointed at the Pokemon they wanted, but then it got to me. I looked at each of them, over and over again. My attention kept going back to the Celsinge, though. I realized that it...he...was looking at me the whole time, and I felt a connection immediately with the Celsinge. It looked at me and understood me, and I likewise understood it.

"Professor Willow, I'd like this Celsinge here, please," I said, confident in my choice.

"No problem, Chron. I'll be right back with one for you," she replied.

Before she could walk away, I cut in, "I don't think you understand. If it's okay, I'd like this Celsinge, not one of the ones you have in storage.

She had a look of inquiry on her face, but firmly stated, "I see. I've had this Celsinge for quite a while, but I can see just by looking at him that he has a desire to be with you. It's strange, I've never seen him attach himself to any one person, even myself in the time that I've had him, but I know I'm making the right decision in saying that you can have him."

I smiled and an excitement welled up inside me as the I saw her return the Celsinge to his pokeball, which she in turn placed in my palm. It was warm, not cold as I had expected it to be, like most things made of metal. After that, I returned to where I was sitting and waited as the last of the other six people got their Pokemon.

The last to claim his Pokemon, an Echoise, was one of my neighbors, Kirin Lester. I have seen him often, but I tend to usually keep to myself. He seemed excited as well, though, and Professor Willow started to speak once more as he sat down nearby myself.

"Now that you have all claimed your Pokemon, my assistance will hand out some bag that include five empty pokeballs in them, along with a little bit of money. Traveling won't be easy, so we are prepared to provide you with the necessary materials to get along. As you receive your new bag and items, let it be known that common materials such as pokeballs and potions for healing your Pokemon can be found at PokeMarts in almost any city. In addition, you will often need to battle with your Pokemon in order to defend yourself and it's a great way to get to know people in the region as well. That's why there are Pokemon Centers, as I'm sure you have all heard before. When your Pokemon are tired or injured and need time to heal and get back in shape, visit a Pokemon Center and they'll fix up your Pokemon in no time! You'll find several gyms around the regions as well. Seeing as how you'll be travelling around all of Caldera and Kirant, setting the gyms as your goal places to visit is probably the best way to figure out where you are going. That's about it though. You have all been given Mobile Devices in your bags as well, in case I need to contact you or you need to contact me. Oh, and I almost forgot! You'll have a brand new Pokedex in your bag as well. For those who don't know, a Pokedex will give you any information known about your own Pokemon, and the Pokemon that you encounter while traveling. Lastly, I advise you each to take some time to either battle each other to get the feel for battling, or to just head out if you feel you are already ready. Good luck all, and have fun out there!"

It was kind of all sudden and still hitting that I'd be leaving Neo Bay, but I stood up and walked outside, preparing to go to the market and tell my mother about packing and leaving before I did.

"Hey! Wait, Chron!" Shouted Kirin, as he followed me out of the laboratory. "I think we should try out battling, like Professor Willow suggested."

"Uhmm, sure Kirin, I guess. I was going to head straight out after talking to my mom, but I guess a quick battle wouldn't hurt." I fumbled in my bag for Celsinge's pokeball, and pressed the small button that separated the top half of the ball from the bottom. It was an interesting feeling as the red wavering beam materialized Celsinge on the ground in front of me. It was definitely a new feeling, that's for sure.

I exited my thoughts as I noticed that Kirin's Echoise was already out and ready to go. And with this realization, I pulled out my new Pokedex and pointed it at Celsinge, to which a load of information appeared on the screen. I examined it carefully, and took note of what Celsinge was actually capable of in its current youth.

"Uhh, let's try... a Growl, Celsinge!" I shouted. I didn't quite know what it would do myself, but Celsinge seemed to understand as it prepared itself in a seemingly-natural battle stance.
    Last edited by Chronicler; 02-28-13 at 11:49 PM.

Click the banner above to join our Discord or help with game development

Thanks to Trainer X of the OI (rip) for the avatar

Administrator

Celsinge readied itself for its attack, but Kirin and Echoise had already decided on their course of attack. Rushing through the air with remarkable speed, Echoise accelerated and rammed its head into Celsinge for... 4 damage!

[Male] 21/25

Celsinge reeled from the blow, but shook it off, its bond already beginning to form with you. Drawing from within itself, it let out a mighty growl, causing Echoise to cower in fear! (As well as asserting its manly dominance)

[Female] 25/25 [-1 Attack]

Valued Topaz Contributor

OoC: Celsinge uses scratch.

Celsinge's might roar left Kirin's Echoise a little shaken up, so if I'm going to make a move, I need to do so now. According to my Pokedex, Celsinge also has the ability to perform the attack, scratch. With Echoise's guard down, we have the upper-hand and can even the playing field a little bit.

Celsinge eagerly pranced around the field, awaiting my next command, and showing off his pride at being able to scare the opposing Pokemon so easily, even after taking a small hit. He certainly was excited to battle, despite his initial calm appearance. Maybe he was just bored at the time, or maybe he was tired. Whatever it was, he seemed to have a completely new side when it came to engaging in battle.

"Great work, buddy!" I shouted, to show my approval for his first move. "Let's see what kind of damage we can do with a scratch! Let's keep that Echoise in fright!"

It's weird but I find myself rather involved in the battle now, as well. Just a few minutes ago, I wasn't too sure how I'd even go about battling, but it seems almost instinctual at this point.
    Last edited by Chronicler; 02-28-13 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wrong move xD

Administrator

Echoise gathered its courage and drove itself forward once more. It slammed into Celsinge once more, but was too frightened to gather the same amount of speed as the last time.

[Male] 18/25

Celsinge glared at Echoise with a look of "is that all you've got?" It tried to Tackle the Echoise back, but realizing that it couldn't replicate the same results, used its efforts just to get near the Echoise and deliver a hefty Scratch instead.

[Female] 20/25 [-1 Attack]

Valued Topaz Contributor

OoC: Completely forgot that Celsinge knew scratch as opposed to tackle xD. Using another scratch here.

This is good, we've got it on the run now. A few more attacks like that, and we'll hopefully be the winners of the battle.

"You're doing great, Celsinge! Keep it up with another scratch. The more we keep up with the hits now, the quicker we'll have Kirin and his Echoise beat!" I shouted. Celsinge purred loudly in glee of his praise. I can definitely tell that he trusts me, and I think I can honestly say that I can trust him to be strong and a good partner.

This is actually pretty easy. Maybe I'm just smarter than Kirin? Whatever it is, I think I can get used to it. Battling is actually really fun, and I think I have somewhat of a knack for it.

Administrator

Celsinge leaped forward, but Echoise had a trick up his sleeve! "Use Tail Whip!" Kirin shouted. Echoise quickly swirled around, knocking Celsinge back and leaving him vulnerable, but not before Celsinge landed a hefty blow.

[Male] 18/25 [-1 Defense]
    [Female] 15/25 [-1 Attack]

Valued Topaz Contributor

Darn, with Celsinge buffeted from the Echoise's tail, it's going to be a bit harder to keep it as scared as it was before. We still have the advantage, however. If we can keep drilling them with repeated scratches, we could pull this off.

"Don't let up, Celsinge. Keep scratching at the Echoise, you can do this!" I shouted, full of determination. The battle had gotten me riled up and full of energy, something that is normally impossible for me to do. Celsinge and I are doing good though. Despite not being able to speak to me, I feel a connection with him that I haven't felt with anyone else really. He is a being that I can depend on, and truly befriend.

Administrator

The battle raged on clumsily as Celsinge began making sloppy footsteps, letting down its guard at inopportune moments but Echoise, too, was making timid attacks, its body still shaking from the earlier ferocious growl. They clashed, each ending up a little more wounded than before.

[Male] 14/25 [-1 Defense]
    [Female] 10/25 [-1 Attack]

Valued Topaz Contributor

If we can keep this up, then we should have no problem defeating Kirin's Echoise. Celsinge seems to be getting a bit tired, but he's still in much better shape than his opponent. I believe that he can win this, and I feel like he knows he can too. Celsinge's body was shaken by his heavy breathing, but he looked back at my and saw my look of determination, and calmed himself down. With a pseudo-meditation, he focused back on the battle and his flames started to flare bigger and brighter than before. He was ready for the feel of victory.

I called to the fiery cub, "Good, Celsinge. Keep calm and stay focused. You...we can do this if we keep up it up and stay strong. Another scratch, and stay sharp! Do your best to stay out of harm's way."

Administrator

The two Pokemon exchanged blows, neither getting the one up over the other. Luckily for Celsinge, it already had the stamina advantage. Taking advantage of this fact, it took every opportunity to trade blows regardless of defense, wearing down the poor Echoise though taking hits of his own.

[Male] 10/25 [-1 Defense]
    [Female] 6/25 [-1 Attack]

Valued Topaz Contributor

Celsinge is just getting more and more tired. That Echoise still doesn't look like it's in good shape though, definitely not good enough to get ahead of Celsinge at this point. The only way to get through this at this point is to keep pushing Kirin and his Pokemon to their limit.

Quickly, I called out to Celsinge, who seemed a little shaken up after the last attack, but still ready to win nonetheless. "You're doing amazing, Celsinge, and I'm right here with you, buddy. Keep on scratching at that Echoise, and I know we are capable of winning!"
    He made a feint and tired roar-like sound in approval of my command, although it was a lot more high-pitched and screechy than the roar of a full-grown Kelvoyant. I've never seen one in actuality, but I'm noticed them on televised battle tournaments, and I've sure enough heard them on some radio broadcasts. It was strange how a small pup like Celsinge might change so suddenly and drastically in his future.

Secret Agent

Echoise doesn't seem to have much strength left. Instead of throwing itself at its opponent, she wags her tail around, as if trying to distract Celsinge. Celsinge doesn't fall for it; instead, he lashes out and claws at Echoise, bringing the little dolphin to the brink of defeat.
    [Male] 10/25 [-2 Defense]
    [Female] 1/25 [-1 Attack]

+ Reply to Thread