+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the Story

Coder

Default What's the Story

Hey everyone.

Haven't checked this site in a long long time, but on the surface it looks like nothing has been done. I have two recommendations really (and by no means follow them!).

1/ This game has been in the making for what 9 years? Accept defeat, people have loved trying to create a game, might be time to just accept we won't be able to play it. The contributions on this forum have gone way downhill, are they likely to pick up again when no one out there really knows about the game? There is a great world here with great pokemon that may just have to be a picture in our heads, which is a huge shame. If this game really is never going to made, I'd love if someone was just able to implement the pokemon into a canon game just so we could play with them!

2/ Don't give up! For me this is the perfect fan game. It's a real pokemon game, with incredible pokemon and a great world. It doesn't add crazy new features to make a whole new game. It is a longer, harder version of the original games. The problem at the moment is no one as contributing, probably as they have no idea what to contribute. There are countless people I've noticed on the PokeCommunity forums who want to be a part of making a game. This is a great oppurtunity. Post a thread on those forums or any others, and there is bound to be interest. Keep things transparent. For new people visiting the site, it can be difficult to find information and can sometimes be hard to know what to post. In my eyes the demo is very nearly done, power through finishing it and then people can start getting creative with creating the actual game.

OK so that's it, I reckon post on a Pokemon forum, get interest going and create an epic game, as otherwise this feels like a real waste of some great work.

Cheers!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

I came back recently and had started composing again until the event that I outlined in a recent post in General. Fuck Dell. I'm all for continuing this.

Administrator

To be frank it's really not about contributions any more. We focused so much on contributions we did all of that when forever our bottleneck has been on programming. It's not about new members or new art or planning or anything it's about having a dedicated and motivated programmer who really has to come of his own accord and want to get this done (all I've been able to do is make us ready for when this programmer might come), or one of us picking up the baton and learning all the skills needed to make this happen. Currently Blade Flight acquired RMXP and is looking at it, as a sign of hope.

Coder

I remember talk of everyone trying to do the programming together. Are there specific things that only an experienced programmer can do? If so, try and find one. It's very unlikely they will just stumble upon this site. The best thing the current members can do is get everything that can be done by them done so that when one does come along they know exactly what they are needed for, which by my reckoning isn't much got the demo. Is there anything left that can be done by members on here?

Also, the poccils starter kit wiki effectively tells you how to implement every feature that were in the canon games. Since there aren't really any extra features added to Topaz, it can't be too hard for a current member to have a go.

Better Than That Guy

No extra features? How about two new weather conditions, a new type, about half of the new moves have unique effects and don't get me started on abilities which may or may not (ability dependant) have to be referenced in EVERYTHING they might affect. Unless you got a well coordinated team it's just not feasible to have group coding. I mean sure, it *can* be done in a group, but it can only be programmed by one person at a time as far as I can tell.

And that reminds me, I still have to figure out where we are on abilities (and to get someone to do Sacrifice).

Administrator

In short, BTG has tried really hard to get all the moves to work but has been meeting roadblocks, even with us looking for help and him contacting and running the problems through the Pokemon Essentials dev team. Most sites also don't take favourably to people signing up and spamming their forums with requests for help on another project, and sometimes we do find an experienced programmer and then they randomly disappear out of nowhere and never reply to emails again. I really don't know... I feel like any programmer we get wouldn't really be invested since he'd be coming in and just doing all the drudgery of scripting and coding for something that essentially isn't even his. That's why it's better to be one of us. I could be wrong, but if so, it's best to show me, not tell me, how to find one.

Coder

If that's the case, is it not time to accept that the features (moves, abilities, whatever) that are proving very difficult to implement, aren't implemented or just changed. I mean this project has going on for like 10 years now. I obviously understand that taking some abilities and moves out would lead to a domino effect of having to change a great deal in terms of movesets etc.

Better Than That Guy

Or, we could *not* do that and actually produce something that's not just yet another pokemon game. Hell, with that attitude we might as well scrap everything and start over with a ROM hack. Oh I have a suggestion: How about you stop dragging everyone down with your negativity. Believe it or not things *are* getting done. All of it is behind the scenes but eh, I can battle other pokemans with topaz pokemans all day at this point, so nyeh :P

Coder

Alright mate really no need to be so defensive. What I'm trying to offer is a little perspective. What I will suggest is that it would be quite nice to be updated on this behind the scenes stuff. I'm sure there are many people like me who check this forum on a monthly basis or so to see where it's at. I'm sure I'm not the first person who thought this project was almost dead from the outside.

Secret Agent

Will, as BTG seemed to be getting at, we're not willing to cut corners. Yes, this project has been around for a long time, and that's one of the reasons we're not willing to take the easy route. Our contributors have put a lot of time into making this game look and sound beautiful, and we don't want to just churn out something "decent" - we're aiming for "great", and that has a tendancy to test our own patience.

BTG, he's just trying to be helpful; I'm sure any negativity was unintentional. Also, my explanation to him is also why I think STT brought up the idea of godot in that other thread. After how much time we've spent, I think we have stopped caring about how soon it comes out, but rather how well it turns out.

Better Than That Guy

Yes but you'll note my argument against godot is it brings next to nothing to the table and would only cause even more delays. (For an already done example, see Wizard's recent "upgrade" to their forum, which broke all formatting, every link and a lot of other stuff).

Administrator

Also just as a note we like to parade around the idea that Topaz has been in the making for the last 10 years when really the brunt of the work was started maybe 6 years ago. Not that nothing was done in those 4 years it's just that practically nothing is left of that period beyond the region map and Pokemon names and types.

Better Than That Guy

Plus the year, maybe two where a un-customer-friendly provider killed the site.

aut vincere aut mori

https://koding.com/

Group programming can be done with this.

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/ruby

RXMP uses Ruby, correct? Bam. I've been planning on learning Ruby for a while now, but it has to wait until summer most likely. Have a lot of Python and C to master still.

Administrator

Those are really cool. I'll take a look at them.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSentinel View Post
    https://koding.com/

Group programming can be done with this.

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/ruby

RXMP uses Ruby, correct? Bam. I've been planning on learning Ruby for a while now, but it has to wait until summer most likely. Have a lot of Python and C to master still.
    Signed up for Koding; been meaning to get back into programming myself too after taking a Python class at school. Most languages are syntactically similar, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Administrator

Signed up too, you guys should have done the referral thing if we were all going to do it heh. In case anyone else is interested:
    https://koding.com/R/immunitybow

stuff

I signed up as well!

Also, as a note: RPGMaker XP progress has come to a halt on my end...mainly due to some terrible events that have happened in very-recent days. I'm opening it up now.

Coder

Hey I've been looking over RPG Maker and Poccils and I'd quite like to have a go at programming the game. I'm not promising anything and I'm almost certain I won't be able to programme any of the moves or abilities that we have been struggling with so far as this my first try at anything like this. But in terms of eventing etc. I'd like to have a go. Could someone send me the latest RPG file we have for the game, with the maps and pokemon etc already added?

Coder

To clarify, can I get sent everything that's been done programming wise, sprites, pokemon.txt, maps etc.
    Also can I get the script or the first part of the script for the demo please.

Thanks

Administrator

Excellent news! Do you have a dropbox account? Just PM me your account so I can share the folder and then you'll have access to everything.

Coder

Yep, PM'd you.

+ Reply to Thread