+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Introductions/Farewells Topic

Secret Agent

(Moved to appropriate thread.)

I'm sorry you feel that way, Cranky Guy. We all appreciate your contribution to the project. Perhaps we'll see you again someday. Until then, farewell!

Administrator

Bye Cranky Guy, it was nice working with you.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

You saw nothing. >.>

Nah, jk. Acanthite's not doing a game anymore, and I no longer need to balance two projects because of it, so I'm p. much back as long as I keep this place bookmarked.

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    You saw nothing. >.>

Nah, jk. Acanthite's not doing a game anymore, and I no longer need to balance two projects because of it, so I'm p. much back as long as I keep this place bookmarked.
    Wait, it isn't? o.o

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Flight View Post
    Wait, it isn't? o.o
    Well Charlie's not really around anymore, Harry's too busy and Afti sort of gave up on it.

Secret Agent

Welcome back, STT!

Administrator

Welcome back STT! We haven't had much activity as of late, but it looks like people are just waiting for a pick-me-up (I got a few lurker-PMs too).

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    Well Charlie's not really around anymore, Harry's too busy and Afti sort of gave up on it.
    Really...? I was of the impression that it was still going, since they're revealing stuff about the new region there fairly more often. O.o

Administrator

From what I remember about Acanthite, people often assumed things were happening behind the scenes when they weren't. Probably part of the reason Topaz had trouble was that all our stuff is so out in the open that it's super easy to tell when we have slumps.

Nice to have an older member back.
    I think we really need a reliable coder as the past few kinda went AWOL.
    Speaking of which I think I could look into it as I don't have much going on with school and i know a guy who knows a guys cousin who has studied all kinds of coding (I wish...)
    but seriously, i could look into it if someone gave me some info on the code we're using.
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

Administrator

We are using RPGMaker XP and Poccil's Essentials Pokestarter kit as the base of our game. There is some event scripting done with RPGMaker XP itself, but when you make engine changes it would be in Ruby. The tough stuff are moves, abilities and items that can't be easily copy/edited from previous moves already present in the engine. Otherwise there's a bunch of tedious manual work in event implementation and working with the Pokestarter editor. (Event implementation would probably be mostly the programmer. Other things like wild Pokemon encounter rates and stuff could be done by others)

I've used Poccil's Essentials before, a year or two ago. Mostly experimentation but I've done some interesting things with it :P
    I'll look into XP, thanks.

Edit: Holy Crap! It cost 25 US Dollars?

Double Edit: Just after finding my old Ruby and Fire Red cartridges $.$ (used cartridges can go for like $30 a pop!)
    Last edited by Silver; 01-19-14 at 09:35 PM.
    TRPG profile

Administrator

Yeah... RMXP can be acquired through shadier methods that won't be mentioned here.

Really?
    Oh dear...
    TRPG profile

the Dragon Master

Behold, for, I have returned, both with Pokemon Go, and, a droid, lol, of which I'm currently on.
    What I think is a bit sad, is the fact that, I'm a horrible user on this site, as, I actually forgot bout this place until recently >.> The chaos that is my life, has dictated, that, I work for the Empire, and, be busy with so much stuff, I lost track of a lot of things.
    O.O and, upon looking at my last post, that was in 2013, so, I really do feel horrible bout that >.>
    But, interestingly enough, I actually had some serious problems that year, may be why I ended up staying off for so long, but, the next year, they were corrected in such an interesting fashion. Lol, I may elaborate, if people wish, but, for now, suffice to say, that, what I gained in 2014, is a joy, that, no matter what, I will never lose lol, ironically, that being said, it's currently causing some minor distress in my life, but, I think I can live with it somewhere along the way.
    <.< And, yeah, a lot can happen in 3 years apparently o.o
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Better Than That Guy

Welcome back! You'll find things are lot quiter now, as it's just a few of us who lead busy/lazy lives. Thus work is slow progressing.

the Dragon Master

Ah, yeah, I can certainly understand. We all have stuff to do after all
    I will try to do what I can o be a bit more active on here though, lol, though, I can't quite guarantee that too much, but, yeah, hopefully, things won't get too busy for me to keep from getting back more often.
    And, again, sorry for having been off for like, 3 years o.o
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Overworlder (I think)

So, stuff's alive behind the scenes right?
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

aut vincere aut mori

A bit. Things were going pretty quick a few months ago actually, but they've slowed down again.

Secret Agent

Yep, things here seem to go in waves; we're in a bit of a lull right now. I've seen plenty of people checking in from time to time; the project hasn't been forgotten, but most people just don't have the time to make it a priority right now.

stuff

Let's just say it how it is and officially state that Topaz as a project is deader than dead, maybe? It's not happening on OI, and it won't be the next big thing, either - not without TONS of work and updates! Part of it is just that we refuse to move past the Gen 3 crap - we are almost to Generation EIGHT and we can't bother to do anything more? Like Fairies and Mega Evos? It's no wonder we didn't get anywhere.

So yeah. With Pokemon Azurite on my plate as something I've been helping with, I'm jumping ship here. Topaz was a good idea for the time, but with fangames like Uranium, Reborn, Phoenix Rising, Insurgence, and Azurite being things, there's just no hope for this one.
    Last edited by Blade Flight; 07-08-18 at 01:36 AM.

Better Than That Guy

Cool, see ya'.
    It's attitudes like that which is why this has been stagnant for almost a year now, despite almost all of the engine work being complete.

stuff

Hey, I'm just saying it like it is. Even if we did finish Topaz right this second, no one is going to want to play it without serious revamps to every Pokemon, item, sprite, and everything else. We are too far behind to make an appealing game that people will want to play when all the competition has all these amazing other offerings. The only thing we have going for us is the inclusion of a Light type - and not only is Fairy a better type overall, but Azurite has Fairies AND their own Light type, which means now Topaz has nothing unique going for it. Not to mention the Gen 3 aesthetic is no longer appealing, as many want their sprites in Gen 4 or 5 now, and Gen 3 is considered "outdated". And sharing an alpha with the Orange Islands Discord, but not the contributor channel? That's actually pretty shameful.

Let me break it down for you a bit:
    *Light type is no longer unique and we have no Fairies.
    *Megas and Z-Moves are doable now in Essentials. We don't have any.
    *Honchkrow and Leafeon one-up Harskrow and Chloreon in every way. Same with Honedge and Mirust, Larvesta and Firant, and Unova's genies and the Cirroft line (disregarding Frostorm and Tornadus not being the same type).
    *As I said before, Gen 3 is laughably outdated, and not in a charming way; it's just not the norm to work with Gen 3 mechanics and sprites (and don't take that as a "we should go against the norm" sort of point!)
    *Speaking of sprites, they're all over the place in style.
    *More than eight badges has been done before, by fangames AND GSC.
    *VENAP IS STILL NOT BALANCED HOLY SHIT IT DIES TO LIKE THE FIRST FIVE GYMS.
    *The sitenotice hasn't been updated since 2012.

In short, everything we tried to offer has now been done and done better by other fangames. It's not an attitude that's pessimistic, it's an attitude that's realistic.

I'm sorry, but you're not seeing the entire picture here, BTG. It's not to bash on your hard work, but it's time to let the project go. Be realistic.
    Last edited by Blade Flight; 07-08-18 at 05:38 PM.

Better Than That Guy

Umm... no?
    To basically all of it?
    Light type may not be unique, but it was never unique. The appeal of it is that it's unqiue to fan games. As for faeries, so what?

Megas and Z-moves? Sure, they're kinda cool, but note how both are almost only gimmicks outside of competitive.

Oh no, Pokémon are different.

Really? Because Gen III is one of the best generations in a large number of people's opinions (although clearly not yours). And what's with the 'don't go against the norm'? You're very first argument was that we weren't going against the norm any more since one project has the light type.

Something to do with content? I wonder if self-defeating attitudes has something to do with that, hmm?

Oh look, the feature that was one of the most loved things about gen 2 has been done before. Clearly that is a point against Topaz. /sarcasm

Let's see about your conclusion:
    So what game, fan or otherwise, lets you join teams, and not just one team, but from a choice of two?
    What other game aims for a retro Gen III feel?
    What other game has a plot even remotely similar to ours?
    What other game has the same moves as us?
    What other game has everything you mentioned as no longer being unique to us (despite most never being unique anyway, and the uniqueness not being the point)?
    Last edited by Black Temple Gaurdian; 07-09-18 at 07:23 AM.

Secret Agent

Moved some posts over from the Map thread to here to keep things relevant.

Thank you for all your contributions over the years Blade Flight, it'll be sad to see you go but I hope your other projects go well! I hope we can all keep things friendly and maybe our paths will cross again.

+ Reply to Thread