+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Irot's compositions

Resident Composer

Default Irot's compositions

This thread is for the discussion of the musical soundtrack to Pokemon Topaz.

Click HERE for the current compilation of music in the soundtrack.

I would be extremely grateful if you could give each track a listen and reply to this thread your favorite track from each folder and why, and least favorite track from each folder and why. By doing this, I'll be able to revamp tracks that are overwhelming disliked and compose future tracks with a style that the community (in general) seems to be pleased by.

If you would like to submit a composition to the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack, please post a link to it here and I will analyze your piece to see if it fits with my instrumentation and style.

Oh, and by the way... every recording on here is updated to .mp3 format. This fixed any issues with looping and creates a richer atmosphere in the instrumentation. This was meant to be a Christmas gift to everybody... but, well... *cough*
    Merry One-Month-After-Christmas!!! ;D

Happy Listening,
    - IR
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 01-26-10 at 04:37 AM.
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Resident Composer

Y'know... with all the mistakes I've been making today, it's very hard to believe that I'm a computer science minor... -_-

Disregard the above link... instead, click HERE for the current compilation of music in the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack.

Any mod that can edit this link into the above link will win one million internets. - IR

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Administrator

:O :O :O MP3s!? Too bad my iTunes died but I'll be sure to give them a listen! I've always loved Chartree Forest, Dynamo Gardens and such.

-- Link Edited --

-- Pinned --

Resident Composer

Oh, IB... what would I do without you? :P

.mp3s indeed! I only updated them, because I was listening to the .MIDI files on another computer and I was horrified by how different it sounded. So, to make sure you all hear what I hear while composing, I thought it was necessary to improve the quality and file type of the soundtrack.

Also, for the "Unknown Theme" that is chillin' in the main folder and the unknown routes in the "Route Themes" folder, we need names. I didn't arrange any of these routes with a route in mind, I just like the melodies... they seem to generally fit into later routes, though, being that they're all epic and stuff. For those of you who recognize the "Unknown Theme" in the main folder it's because it used to be Chartree Forest. With the new Chartree Forest taking it's spot, this melody needs a new home. I vote that it is used for some sort of dungeon theme or possibly even Icthyes City, but I'll leave it open to the community to decide. ;p

Resident Composer

Oh? What has Uncle Irot brought for you today?
    Well...

Triple Triad

That's right! Now you'll be able to enjoy some original music while playing Triple Triad in game! For those of you who have listened to the rest of the Soundtrack, you may recognize the second theme - it's a motif of mine that I developed specifically for Pokemon Topaz.

Happy Listening!
    - IR

Vicious cycle

Some fantastic music. However, I feel as if this is better suited for the Pokemart theme rather than a card game, it's a bit too relaxing...

Resident Composer

Quote Originally Posted by neon.Barnacle View Post
    Some fantastic music. However, I feel as if this is better suited for the Pokemart theme rather than a card game, it's a bit too relaxing...
    Thanks, neon! (By the way, have I welcomed you back? ._.) I do agree that this piece has a very relaxing, passive atmosphere. However, I composed it this way intentionally because whenever I play a card game, though I may be exhilarated, I am in no way jumping out of my seat screaming with excitement. I will of course honor your opinion and if the community comes to an overwhelming agreement with you, I would be obliged to scrap this piece and compose an entirely new piece. Besides, I can never get enough practice. XD

Also, as an update to everybody else... I have added a .zip file that contains the Pokemon Topaz OST in its current entirety (visit my link in the first post). For those of you who haven't given the music a listen due to the daunting task of 66 downloads, fear no more! Now you can download all 66 files in one simple download. (Please be forewarned that the .zip file has the potential to exceed 50 mb once future tracks are included.) Feeling motivated to listen to music or do you simply want to have some music in the background while doing homework/housework? Then give this 45 minutes worth of music (excluding repeats) a listen and comment to your heart's desire! What stood out? What let you down? Better to voice your opinions now so I can fix any issues early on! :P

Happy Listening!
    - IR

Topaz Programmer

I actually think that the theme is amazing and I can totally imagine it in both the Triple Triad and the PokeMart Atmosphere. The Jazzy sound reminds me of playing classic card games on older consoles . The wooden scraping sound perhaps doesn't need to be there but either way great work

Resident Composer

Thanks Badara! We already have a Pokemart theme, but if this track seems to be more suited for the atmosphere then who am I to say no? :P

As for the wooden scraping sound... I think the Topaz community doesn't quite appreciate the guiro the way I do. I remember somebody commenting years ago on Neo Bay about the same sound being quite irritating. *sigh* If the community sees fit, I don't have any issue removing it... I suppose. >:P

Vicious cycle

It's not that I don't like the guiro, it's a fun and underappreciated instrument, but because of its distinct rasp it stands out over the otherwise light melody. I suggest you decrease its volume, that would probably stop it from being so abrasive to the ears.

Irrelevant side-story: my high school band used to have a guiro named Omar. It was the percussion section mascot and we loved it to death.

Administrator

Though it's different, I can tell similarities to other Topaz Music, I think. It's really similar to Colossus City, both share some ties to FF7's Midgar Sector 5 (I think, the one where you crossdress) early on, the same kind of jazzy beat, and the ramp up to the higher part around the middle happens similarly as well. It's a little toned down though, so that's good.

Back Again!

Any way you could put them in a .zip? I don't want to upgrade to pro D:
    I had the old ones, and I remember Chartree was fantastic.

Administrator

Ugh I didn't realize he was using medifafire for the downloads. He never asked me to put 'em up on the site. :\

I will get in touch with him and see if I can get him to send me all the Topaz music and I will make a page on the site for it.

Administrator

I have all the stuff too so if that fails just PM me your email.

Back Again!

For Irot_Rebod

In the Battles Folder
    Favorite = Legendary Pokemon battle (epic, and fitting)
    Least Favorite = Rival Battle (just a few too many DUN DUNs to begin the song, electric organ(?) is a bit much, the mid/ending is good though)

In the Buildings Folder
    Favorite = Pokemart (idk why, quirky and fitting)
    Least Favorite = Willow's Lab (great song, but seems more like a beach song)

In the Citites Folder
    Favorite = Cranewing (beautiful) and Mistvale (deliciously haunting)
    Least Favorite = Gallea (sounds a bit too much like a wedding song)

In the Dungeons Folder
    Favorite = Chartree
    Least Favorite = Twilight Caverns (too much of the reverberating "eeee" sound, like the one in horror movies)
    suggested inspiration (my fave video game song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaMcOo-k23U
    (killer instinct for the SNES had some good music too)

Didn't DL the Encounter or Misc. Folders yet.

In the Routes folder
    Favorite = All were quality
    Least Favorite = All were quality

Notes on Unknown Theme, to me at least it just SCREAMS end game/credits music.

the Dragon Master

Well I liked all of the songs and started laughing when I heard some of the pieces cause I thought he was changing all of them...
    It's not bad but I thought it was interesting to hear that and I think it's cool to keep some of the original music and sound effects from the main games....

I do have a suggestion for the Unknown theme and that was it could be the Team Orion theme since I noticed they didnt have one in the list. The guy could already be working on that theme but I figured it wouldnt hurt to suggest it...
    although yes I do have to agree with Oddcrow about it being the end game/credits music cause it could work there...
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Thats what she said

I love most all of ur songs. I love all the "battle themes" and ESPECIALLY chartree. So I was wondering though with the legendary battle...is that gonna be the only one? I am playing SS and most every legendary has a different battle theme. I'm not saying to make one for every one...but even if u made 1 or 2 more, so you would have a Jirachi exclusive, and 1-2 different themes...u get what I mean?
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

He won't be making anymore. Irot announced that he is taking a break from Topaz, which may be a permanent leave.

Administrator

Hopefully the new STT can help in this respect, if he feels like it. (The idea for an Orion theme is also quite nice.)

the Dragon Master

I would if I could but I can't cause I'm not an admin or mod...
    so saddly it shall have to be seperate for a while...

it does make sense to wait a while for the other legends music since the demo will only go so far but it's a good idea to try and work on them during the demo work and especially after the demo's been released and finished...
    that's around the time in which you will want to try and complete the game asap---but do try not to rush anything with it or it may come out badly...

I'll give my opinion on just a few pieces as they come to me. I saved a text file on what my opinions for each category was, but it was too long, so now I'm working from scratch.

-- Elite Four Battle: This piece is great for the E4 challenge, and I love it. However, it slows down at the end, giving the impression the battle will be concluded in the time alloted for the music. I can't imagine this piece playing in loop during an E4 battle. The player may be executing a powerful Earthquake or Thunderdance, in which case, the slowing music may feel anti-climactic to him.
    -- Gallea City: Sounds more like ending credits to me than any other theme, if you ask me.
    -- Gym Battle: I could play this on loop and listen to it for hours. @_@ This is the kind of music I'd LOVE to hear every time I battle a gym leader. I hope we can rebattle the gym leaders, or I'll be sad to see it go.
    -- Hollowlog City: While the title says "city", it sounds more small-town to me.
    -- Frost Town and Mount Frost: Beautiful, but am I the only one who hears Princess Zelda's theme in that? XD
    -- Rival Battle: It's good, and I almost want to agree with OddCrow's opinion on the introductory beats taking too long, but it seems it takes just the right length of time to see both players throw their Pokemon into battle just before the music really gets going. I dunno; I guess either way will work.

Administrator

E4: I think it's minor enough a detail to work out. It's only about a second of downtime.
    Gallea: I think this is fine for a City, ending credits generally tell a story, and this song doesn't. The most defining factor about this one for me is that it sounds a bit like a cathedral, but that's okay.
    Gym Battle: Yes, it's probably one of my favourites of Irot's as well! The Gym Battle theme will be available on the CD Player you receive in-game so you'll be able to listen to it whenever you want (you might have to jump through some hoops to get the CD though)
    Hollowlog: You're right, but remember that most "Cities" in Pokeverse aren't exactly huge. Some of them are actually pretty small (Mauville, Cherrygrove). I'm expecting Hollowlog to be about mid-sized, so it fits, still.
    Rival Battle: 5 seconds of beats. Hmm... it does sound a bit long but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The looping could be problematic though.

the Dragon Master

sorry for bumbing if this was going to be removed but i was wondering are you going to go back to doing the music in this thread Irot???

Resident Composer

Yes, I'll be posting my compositions here as I get them rolled out. I prefer to get 3 - 5 done before posting, unless I'm really excited and can't contain myself anymore. Just keep a look out for them! :P

Thats what she said

yeah. Its good to hear new music

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Still No MIDI Keyboard

I'm actually restraining myself from opening FL and failing at composing. Can't wait to see some new stuff that I can get my hands on!

Thats what she said

^ lol. At least you know the basics. I used to, and if I still did...I would, but I just cant remember it anymore :P

the Dragon Master

okay that's cool...
    i was just wondering is all...
    and now i shall wait for the new music to be added...
    and try to check out STT's music...
    (hopefully the library computers can allow me to download them this time...)

Resident Composer

It's definitely not the 3 - 5 I mentioned... but... well... here.

Flashback Theme

"OMG, IR! WHY DOES IT SOUND SO EMPTY?!"

I'm mimicking the HGSS version of Cinnabar Island's theme using my own theme I composed for Neo Bay. Some more route themes and Kalypso City on the way... eventually... these world instruments are not being very friendly. D:

Administrator

As I've said, excellent, though SPOILERS! we're probably going to need another crisis flashback theme.

Resident Composer

Kalypso City is still in the process of being completed. But here is a sample. I know what I want to do next, and I can hear it... but something isn't sitting well with me. *sigh writer's block*

Anyway, just wanted you to know I am still working the best I can.

- Yes, it's MIDI... some people actually find use from the MIDIs. (I'm looking at you, STT. :P) When finished, I will of course convert to .mp3.

Administrator

Definitely got the right style down. I'm a particular fan of the waves and tweeting birds. It's a really nice touch.

Resident Composer

Kalypso City.mp3 first version done. Any suggestions on improvements?

And the MIDIs are HERE, STT.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Wrong link, IR. It directs me to MY folders. xD

Resident Composer

Links are working on my computer... let me try again...
    Kalypso City
    All MIDIs

Still No MIDI Keyboard

http://www.mediafire.com/#13,1 is a PERSONAL folder link. Meaning not shared. :P I've downloaded the file in question anyhow. xD

Resident Composer

I see, I see... must've copied the wrong thing then. Many apologies.

Resident Composer

New Kalypso City edits have been made. Compare and tell me which version of the two you all prefer, please.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I prefer the old one. The newer one seems a lot more simple and repetitive.

And I miss me some steel drums.

Resident Composer

Oh wow... I messed up and forgot to turn on the instruments... sometimes, I really hate myself. I'll need to put in all of the edits and re-record this. Thanks for pointing that out, Reli...

EDIT: The REAL New Kalypso City is ready. I not only double and triple checked... I quadruple checked. Enjoy and let me know which version sounds better.
    Last edited by Irot_Rebod; 11-16-10 at 11:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread