View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Pokemon Topaz IRC channel? (votes are private)

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would be a lifer on IRC

2 13.33%
  • Yes, I would get on a few hours a day

6 40.00%
  • I'm not sure

6 40.00%
  • No, I can't/don't want to

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: if we got an IRC channel, would you guys log on?

Hybrid View

Administrator

Default if we got an IRC channel, would you guys log on?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus
    Hello,

A friend of mine made an IRC (chat) network called PCHNet - Pokemon Chat Hub Network.

Basically, what we want to accomplish is to have the majority of pokemon RPGs/info sites/etc on one chat network so the pokemon players/fans/etc of the internet can chat with eachother and discuss all aspects of online pokemon on one chat network.

Obviously, you would have your own chatroom on the network. (ex: #topaz, #topaztrades, and a staff chatroom if wanted). It's also extremely easy to incorperate in to Pokemon Topaz' website and the staff members would have control over Topaz' portion (chatrooms) on the network.

Basically we want to know if Pokemon Topaz would be interested in participating in this chat network. We already have ProjectPokemon in it, Psypokes and Bulbagarden are ready to join us as well. Our servers are completely stable with really nice ircops and active communities.

Thoughts? Would Pokemon Topaz be interested in participating in this pokemon chat network?

Note: This post is mostly a suggestion/question for the staff team of Pokemon Topaz. It will be nice for a great community like Pokemon Topaz to join us. (:

If you would like to take a look at our irc server you can by going to irc.pchnet.org and visit the #help channel where we will be waiting for you. You can check out our website at www.pchnet.org

And we're quite ready for Pokemon Topaz to hop in.

~PCHNet Staff
    From my experience, it does not necessarily require many people to keep an IRC channel active. If there are around 8-10 users who get on regularly and check often enough to participate in the converstation then it can be a success. So I need you guys to vote whether you would get on. I've included a few options in the poll to make it easier to tabulate.

Feel free to comment or voice your reasoning for your vote.

Thats what she said

it sounds okay, but wouldn't you need to download something? I can't, my internet is gone so now I have to go to the library. (that being said, I still am here)

Valued Topaz Contributor

If you're using Firefox, the extension Chatzilla will work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    it sounds okay, but wouldn't you need to download something? I can't, my internet is gone so now I have to go to the library. (that being said, I still am here)
    You don't exactly have to download anything to be honest. zeroality can just implement a java applet(free) or a mibbit applet(free) so you can go on chats straight from the site.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow
    I remember one of the qualms with chat that the admin had way back when was that forum activity is kind of low as it is, and chat messages aren't really saved in a way that can be referenced later, so it might detract from the making of Topaz, as well as interfere with our activity image. I mean, why would people post in the No Topic Thread or most of the general forums if there's a chat box around? Most of the same applies for IRC.
    Incorrect. Chat messages CAN be saved and they are called "chat logs". If you have mIRC or any other chat client you can save them to a folder for later use.(Its even better when they're automatically saved right? Well they are!) And to ensure that you have fair activity on both forums and chat, people who DON'T use the chats or aren't interested in it can post on the forums and you're saying that the forum would go dead if Pokemon Topaz had an IRC chat right? Well to be honest you don't have to discuss everything in the chat you can post the updates on the forums and people can either talk about it in the thread or on the chats, so its sorta like 50/50. And it won't actually decrease the forums activity but it will actually increase it because we have other many active communities on our IRC chat and they always look for new things to try out. What I mean is that when a user checks all the channels we have on our IRC server he'll see a channel named #pokemontopaz and curiosity will force him to join that channel and want to know what "Pokemon Topaz" is. And when he finds out that Pokemon Topaz is a game in development he'll want to join and hopefully become active on the forums and chat.

Administrator

I remember one of the qualms with chat that the admin had way back when was that forum activity is kind of low as it is, and chat messages aren't really saved in a way that can be referenced later, so it might detract from the making of Topaz, as well as interfere with our activity image. I mean, why would people post in the No Topic Thread or most of the general forums if there's a chat box around? Most of the same applies for IRC.

So I've put I'm not sure, personally.

Not your grandma's nerd

I like the sound of this, but I can't guarantee I'll be on for hours, necessarily.

Administrator

I do know about chat logs, but they aren't very easily reference-able, at least not in any convenient way available to all.

But you make some other good points.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    I do know about chat logs, but they aren't very easily reference-able, at least not in any convenient way available to all.

But you make some other good points.
    Well, I suggested this because it can benefit both PCHNet and Pokemon Topaz. It can help expand our IRC Server and it can expand Pokemon Topaz. And our servers are completely stable with 99.9% uptime and no netsplits. So we can garuntee you that we'll adapt to your needs because of our size.

shoot head summon persona

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    copy/paste?

If you have a discussion, you make sure you keep the log, or you actively paste it into a notepad while chatting, and edit it so that pertinent information is kept. Active conversation over a topic generally yields more results than forum posting, and the fusion of both can spark conversation both on IRC and on the forums.

Administrator

I'm iffy about this, with a majority voting 'not sure'. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, we'll get all the votes in then the staff can discuss it and we'll see where to go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    I'm iffy about this, with a majority voting 'not sure'. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, we'll get all the votes in then the staff can discuss it and we'll see where to go from there.
    Sounds good.. (:

Resident Composer

After reading through the information at their site, I've decided to vote yes for this chat. I can't necessarily donate hours of my time on the chat, but I can certainly be on there for a limited time day to day.

And as Piro stated, it could be quite fortuitous for our project to fuse IRC and the forums.
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Well, I'm not some high PCHNet staff guy, but a regular there and like the network, its athmosphere and staff.

Getting the the point, as Tidus already stated, most IRC clients have an option to make logs automatically. In addition, I also support the idea that a chat doesn't only lead to a more active and at times more brainstorm-like approach to discussions but also generally gives a different feeling. Forums posts must be generally well thought and shouldn't be too short. A chat is much more lax and people will most likely feel less intimidated. Also, it might be a much easier way for new users to join the community.

That being said, I reckon a chat might not even distract from the making of Topaz but instead, lead to more activity. Besides, why not just put it up and see how it develops? It doesn't hurt, so why not try it out?

Administrator

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it would hurt to try it out. I'll have to reinstall mIRC, so I'll get in touch with Tidus tomorrow and see if we can reserve #topaz and set it up.

I will put a java applet on the forums so you won't even need an IRC client.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think it would hurt to try it out. I'll have to reinstall mIRC, so I'll get in touch with Tidus tomorrow and see if we can reserve #topaz and set it up.

I will put a java applet on the forums so you won't even need an IRC client.
    Alright, I'll reserve it now and once you connect to the server you can join either #help or #operhelp to contact one of the staff if I'm not there.

OR you can join #topaz right away and I'll be there.

Administrator

I joined and Fatal helped me get started but then the power went out twice so I'm not gonna bother idling in the channel for tonight. When I wake up, I will post info on how to join. I'd like to get the ops sorted out first.

I joined and Fatal helped me get started but then the power went out twice so I'm not gonna bother idling in the channel for tonight. When I wake up, I will post info on how to join. I'd like to get the ops sorted out first.
    Yeah, I heard you came. Fatal is the Services Admin there so I'm guessing things went well.

Administrator

Yeah everything went good. I just woke up but I'm about to roll up my sleeves and get this going.

stuff

How do we join? Or is that still being worked out yet?

Administrator

I will provide details within a couple hours.

Edit: Still working on it. Finally got the java applet working but there's a couple issues that I want to fix before I put it public.
    Last edited by zeroality; 02-11-10 at 04:39 AM.

Administrator

Alright, it's up! If there's any problems while I'm asleep then contact Tidus. Hopefully I'll be up long enough to OP somebody before I go.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/irc

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/page.php?p=irc

Links have been added to forums (see nav at top) and on the site (link on left bar with yellow text to attract attention).

Next up: skins!
    Last edited by zeroality; 02-11-10 at 01:39 PM.

aut vincere aut mori

The channel works great! Everyone should try it out.

Administrator

By 'try it out' he means log on and stay on.

I'm fixing to type up a brief IRC help guide with the basic stuff covered so you guys can reference it easily.

aut vincere aut mori

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Administrator

So why isn't anybody getting on? 6 votes for "i would get on" and 6 "unsure" so there should be at least 7-9 people on. :\

I'm even planning on helping the server admin with a site in exchange for custom bots (botserv and uno) but if you guys aren't gonna get on then I'm not going to waste my time.

Sorry to necropost by > 2 years, but I have a little bit of insight on this.

Every good piece of software needs an IRC channel, and it would be especially prominent here since this project has had an increase in activity. About the network mentioned at the top here, I'm not trying to insult/degrade it but it sounds to me as though it's a newly created and small network. Seeing as "BotServ" is mentioned it's probably running Unreal or InspIRCd, entry-level and not too good software for running an IRC network. I would recommend IronDust as they are known for supporting these types of projects and have a wonderful team of staffers. It also runs wonderful software and has standardized network services.

Administrator

Thank you for your insight White Yoshi.

I think however that the main problem is more fundamental than that at the moment, less to do with the software and more to do with our process:
    1. IRC makes it fairly inconvenient to store information. I know it's just a matter of searching logs and posting them on the forums, but even that's a stretch in terms of availability. Whose job would it be?
    2. Often newcomers to our community are younger members who are still learning the basics of communicating on the internet. IRC adds another level of disconnect from the project which can make them shy away.
    3. Our activity doesn't seem to be able to sustain an IRC channel. Often what will happen is someone will go on the channel, see that no one is there, and then leave. The cycle is self-perpetuating.

Until we can solve at least the final issue the use of IRC seems implausible for Topaz.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply.

1. I would agree, IRC isn't the best way for storing much of anything. That being said, with every popular channel on IronDust usually all of the staffers and network bots are there. They usually can pull up any logs that would be necessary as I believe all of them have bouncers.

2. Yeah, this would definitely be a problem.

3. I do see what you're saying here and I've had problems with it before. But the only way people would necessarily find the IRC channel would be if:
    a. They came from the forums, so they'd already know about the project.
    b. They came from the network (through a list or something) so they're probably a regular there.

+ Reply to Thread