Closed Thread

Thread: Suggestion: Set the default tab to Topaz

Vicious cycle

Default Suggestion: Set the default tab to Topaz

The whole tab system in the forums has been bothering me ever since I came here. While I'm not suggesting that we remove it entirely, I think it would be better if the "default" tab was set to Topaz and not General.

Now I'm not downplaying the General forums; far from that. However, the main emphasis of this forum is Pokemon Topaz, and as such, we want to make that sort of first impression on guests here. The first thing they see when they visit these forums should be the current progress of the game, not a generic discussion forum. Furthermore, guests unfamiliar to the layout of these forums might not notice the tabs at all.

This is also beneficial to current members. When most of us visit a forum, we tend to be drawn to the first interesting topic we see. By placing Topaz in a separate tab, we are actually diverting attention from that subforum. On the other hand, setting the Topaz tab to default will draw people's attention to those topics pertaining to the actual development of the game, which will increase the activity in those subforums.

So, psychology 101: set the main focus of these forums to the front page for maximum profit.

aut vincere aut mori

You have a point there. I could definently see where someone wouldn't notice the tabs, and therefore never really look at the game at all with the current setup.

RPG Administrator

i agree, it took me a couple minutes, when the tabs were first implemented, to find the Topaz part, and it still confuses me sometimes...
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Topaz Programmer

Definitely support this. When I first joined about a week ago, it took me some time to actually find where all the development was going on. 1 minute longer and I would have left without a trace :P.

shoot head summon persona

I personally think the tabs are a poor idea in the spirit of forums in general. Yeah, people don't have to scroll through, but it took me a bit to figure out that the forum was in a tab setup, and wondered where all of the Topaz stuff is for a while.

I'd definitely be behind setting Topaz as the default tab, if nothing else.

Administrator

I posted a poll about tabs and nobody said anything then. >_> Topaz is default now.

I will be putting subicons to spruce them up as well.

Secret Agent

...That confused me for a second...I thought "whoa, something's messed up!" lol.

Thanks, Zero!

uh-ohs

I dont really care but it looks like this already happened. I guess it makes sense.

Vicious cycle

This is just me nitpicking now, but is there a way to save the tab that you were on previously? i.e. clicking on the General tab and viewing a topic, then returning to the forum index with the General tab still open instead of the default Topaz tab.

Administrator

Hmm... that would be really nice, actually. I'm finding that while it's better with the Topaz Tab default now, sometimes I'm looking through General I keep on having to change tabs.

Of course it can be dealt with simply by pressing "General" instead of "Index", but it would be nice...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by neon.Barnacle View Post
    This is just me nitpicking now, but is there a way to save the tab that you were on previously? i.e. clicking on the General tab and viewing a topic, then returning to the forum index with the General tab still open instead of the default Topaz tab.
    I suggested something similar to that in the mod topic on vb.org and the coder said it was considered but not implemented and probably won't be any time soon.

the Dragon Master

i was actually confused the 1st time i got on but i learned pretty quickly where everything was since i had seen a pretty erattic layout before...
    yes having the tabs setup the way people have mentioned above sounds like a good idea...
    i was also thinking that there should be a tab for the pics of the pokemon like u have on the first page, but this would be closer to the top bar with the forums, members, etc. buttons just below the banner but that's just me, i like it so far but i havent found much in the way of problems really...
    so whatever yall've been doing you've been doing well...

Administrator

Yeah a site nav or 'quick links' at the top wouldn't be a bad idea. As for tabbed forums, they have been removed and most likely aren't going to be put back any time soon.

Closed Thread