Closed Thread

Thread: Triple Triad: Pokemon Version

Administrator

Default Triple Triad: Pokemon Version

Ideas for it? Where to get cards? Tournaments all over the region? Even random people in towns you can just play with?

Post them here!

Personally I think it'd be good to have lots of random people in towns you can play with, possibly some with unique cards (Legendaries, etc.) that you can collect. Perhaps the lesser cards you win could be traded in for Coins at Icthyes Game Corner?

Also, Badara, could you come in and give a more detailed explanation of the system? What are its limits? Can you assign specific NPCs to have specific cards? Can you collect cards or are the cards you get just random? etc. etc.

aut vincere aut mori

It would be cool to have different people you could play against in towns and such. They could give you new cards, CDs, or even random items or tms. It could be a cool sidequest to try and get every card, and you could get some kind of really rare item or special pokemon for it.

Topaz Programmer

Here is a run down of exactly how the current ingame battle system and buying cards work. I've already started to make modifications and more are coming later .

Basics of the Duel System
    Basically a duel is invoke with a single line of code that stats 2 things: The name of the opponent and also its level (ranging from 0-10). Cards are randomly picked depending on the level and obviously stronger pokemon are picked as well.
    After the duel ends, in true spirit of a collectible card game, the victor gains a random card from the loser. Moreover you can do different events depending on the outcome of the duel

Breakdown of Stat and other Rule Calculations
    As you may know, each card has directional values determining it's power. This number ranges from 1-A where A is the highest. It finds these values by doing a simple conditional statement to the following base stats:

North Power: SP ATK
    South Power: SP DEF
    East Power: DEF
    West Power: ATK

A if stat>=200
    9 if stat>=150
    8 if stat>=125
    7 if stat>=100
    6 if stat>=80
    5 if stat>=70
    4 if stat>=60
    3 if stat>=45
    2 if stat>=30
    1 if stat is smaller than 30

Another thing involved in this version of Triple Triad is that the types come into play as well. An attacking pokemon will gain the following boosts/deboosts on the stat facing the pokemon depending on the effectiveness of the type.
    +1 if your type is Super Effective
    -1 if your type is Not Very Effective
    -2 if the opposing type is Immune

Buying and Selling
    How the current system works is that the person can buy a card from a card NPC as long as the corresponding pokemon has already been caught. The value of the card takes into account the pokemon's rarity and it's base stats. The player can also sell rare cards earned by other players for some extra money if they are low.

Modifications I've Coded So Far
    • The ability to hide certain caught pokemon from the shop (e.g. Legendaries)
    • TODO: Allow to create a list of cards to be sold in the shop.
    • Overworld Card Collecting (e.g. Finding cards on the floor)
    • The ability to modify stats of individual pokemon if required
    • some tweaks to support a tournament system

Of course more can be done when I have time to play with the system more and develop some more addons and other aspects to the system

Administrator

Can you make it so that the winner gets to pick the card that they get? That's how it worked in FF8 and is how you got some rare cards.

Vicious cycle

I can't say I'm very familiar with TT (in fact, I just skimmed the rules right before this post), but here are some of my thoughts.

1. The stat system needs to be fleshed out more. Given the current base stat transition system, only a select few Pokemon would get A stats. Not sure how rare the A stat is supposed to be, but I say reduce the cap down to 180.

2. If only Attack, SA, Defense and SD are considered, this leaves out Pokemon who excel at speed and HP. A way to implement this is to use bonuses; for example, a Pokemon with base speed 100 will gain +1 when "attacking" an opponent. Similarly, a Pokemon with base HP higher than, say, 120, then they will gain +2 when "defending".

3. Type advantage could be more complex, like giving +2 to 4x super-effective. It might break the game a bit, though.

4. Just a question, but how will legendary cards be acquired?

Again, I'm no expert of this game, so I have no clue what I'm talking about here. Just spitting out my first impressions.

Sanity Eclipse

Below lies some comments on the Triple Triad thus far, taking neon's ideas into accounts.

---

The A stat is usually reserved for the really rare and good cards. And at this point in time, there are only 3 Pokemon with the A stats. Shuckle, Regirock Regice. So, I would definitely agree that the A cap be brought down. This would likely mean some adjustments to the rest of the caps though. My current suggestion is as follows:

A if stat>=180
    9 if stat>=150
    8 if stat>=120
    7 if stat>=100
    6 if stat>=80
    5 if stat>=70
    4 if stat>=55
    3 if stat>=40
    2 if stat>=25
    1 if stat is smaller than 25

---

About the HP and Speed stat, I would agree that they need to be implemented in some forms. The idea of giving bonuses or penalties sounds interesting but I am not sure how that would work out. This and the above stats determination would require lots of play-testing to work out.

---

On the note about effectiveness of types, that brought up a question. Is the type used a single one or double? If it is a single type, is it going to be based on the primary typing?

About legendaries, are they going to be one-of? Also, if they cannot be bought, will you find the card after you caught them or encountered them?

-Malphis Droma, who has so many questions and yet so little time to think and write them
    "All ends in obliteration-love in hatred, life in death, and light in empty darkness."

[Note: I can always be found in the Topaz IRC Chat or OI Chat if I am around. In fact, just go there already.]

Above link leads to an OELVN. May be NSFW. Click it at your own risk.

Topaz Programmer

you guys can decide how legendary cards can be received. Perhaps they can be available after you catch them (like going to see a special NPC). Or maybe if we end up having card leagues they can give out prizes as these legendary cards.

Also I can do a booster pack type system if you guys want to see that implemented

Secret Agent

Ideas for getting cards:

You get one of your starter pokemon at the beginning.
    Legendaries: Scientists who study the pokemon/those-trainers-who-dress-like-legendaries (cosplayers?) give them to you.
    Gym leaders give you one of their main pokemon (their strongest) when you beat them.
    Elite four give you one, rival gives you final evo of his starter.
    Win/purchase/trade at game corner (is there one? That topic has been disscussed several times...).

That's all I can think of. Feel free to ignore me.

stuff

Maybe impliment a feature that if you play a perfect game, you get ALL of the losers cards that they used. But if your opponent plays a perfect game against you, the same is also true!

Then again, I may be thinking of the wrong kind of rules...I'm still geared towards FF9, not FF8.

Administrator

Yeah, I like the perfect game idea. It would make it easier to go back and card battle NPCs after you've picked up the better cards later in the game.

Knowing how I play, I'll probably skip all the card challenges until the postgame.

Administrator

The Duel system actually sounds amazing, and I like all the ideas so far.

For the HP/Speed thing, if having high HP gives +2 on defense, would it not be either a little unbalanced in favour of tanks that have everything but speed (Tyranitar, Dragonite) or conducive towards draws since defensiveness is so highly rewarded?

Administrator

<~zeroality> the triple triad thread was the 4th most viewed page on topaz today
    <~zeroality> beaten only by the forums, the home page and the sprites page

Badara, you didn't comment on my post. I asked if it was possible to make it so that you can select which card you gain after winning, as opposed to getting one at random?

aut vincere aut mori

It seems likr we'll need to do some playtesting for the hp and speed parts. We could try giving +1 instead of +2, which would balance it out with high speed pokemon better.

Topaz Programmer

I'll try to see if I can get a bug free version of choosing a card to win . As for HP and Speed we'll need official boosts so I can add them in and what values of speed/hp give boosts

Sanity Eclipse

Hmm... Here is just a suggestion to start things off:

HP: Less than 30 = -1 to Def. More than 120 = +1 to Def.
    Spd: Less than 30 = -1 to Atk. More than 120 = +1 to Atk.

The above is just to start things up. More playtesting is required for adjustments. And more levels can be added if necessary.

-Malphis Droma, dropping in with his thoughts
    "All ends in obliteration-love in hatred, life in death, and light in empty darkness."

[Note: I can always be found in the Topaz IRC Chat or OI Chat if I am around. In fact, just go there already.]

Above link leads to an OELVN. May be NSFW. Click it at your own risk.

Administrator

Less than 30 and more than 120 would encompass a very select few Pokemon though. (Shuckle) Perhaps:

HP: Less or equal to 50 = -1 to Def. Greater or equal to 110 = +1 to Def.
    Spd: Less or equal to 50 = -1 to Atk. Greater or equal to 110 = +1 to Atk.

Get some of those groups in, though avoiding putting in the huge 60 and 100 groups for both stats.

Vicious cycle

Just to clarify, by Def. and Atk., do you mean the points are added while attacking/defending or the actual attack/defense stats?

Also, the orientation of the four stats should be changed imo. The current setup means that Shuckle will be practically invincible when placed in the northwest corner. Same logic with Deoxys F. I'd rather have the orientation be:

North: Attack
    South: Sp. Attack
    East: Defense
    West: Sp. Defense

Administrator

However, while Shuckle, Dusclops and Deoxys would certainly be excellent cards, there's a couple of things counteracting that. Shuckle has abysmal HP and Speed, it would lose stats aplenty regardless, and would ultimately be beatable by something strong, even in its strongest position (if you can get it!) Deoxys has low HP, but then again it's also a legendary and all legendaries will be somewhat broken

However, the number of Pokemon with very strong Physical or Special-centric stats is also high, and though they aren't to the extreme of Shuckle/Deoxys-F, their sheer numbers makes it perhaps a little too much.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by neon.Barnacle View Post
    Just to clarify, by Def. and Atk., do you mean the points are added while attacking/defending or the actual attack/defense stats?

Also, the orientation of the four stats should be changed imo. The current setup means that Shuckle will be practically invincible when placed in the northwest corner. Same logic with Deoxys F. I'd rather have the orientation be:

North: Attack
    South: Sp. Attack
    East: Defense
    West: Sp. Defense
    Yeah, I mentioned something similar on IRC. You thought up a better way to fix it than I did though.

Vicious cycle

You have a good point, IB. I guess the current configuration isn't really that bad, apart from a few one-offs.

Topaz Programmer

OK I implemented the current hp and speed boost system. Can I get official recognition to lower the stat requirements?

Also there will be a playtest version of the triad system coming out this weekend so you now have something to look forward to

sorry for double post
    quick update: I coded zeroality's choose a card when you win .
    Last edited by zeroality; 02-25-10 at 10:31 PM.

Administrator

Looking excellent, Badara. I can't wait to try it out.

We should also make a nice background for it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Badara View Post
    OK I implemented the current hp and speed boost system. Can I get official recognition to lower the stat requirements?).
    I must've missed something but if a contributor suggested it then yeah go ahead. That's what playtest is for, we can change it if we don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    We should also make a nice background for it.
    If you mean the card 'table' then I could take a crack at that too.

Administrator

Post all further questions/comments about TT in this thread.

Closed Thread