+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overworld Battles

Administrator

Default Overworld Battles

In case you hadn't read yet, overworld battles are just battles between overworld Pokemon where you can order them to jump, bash, etc. in order to defeat other Pokemon. It seems like a really cool minigame to place in certain places. Ideas?

RPG Administrator

how about a coliseum, with occasional tourneys? the tourneys could be patches, with big prizes for the winner, though only against NPCs, while the coliseum is just everyday battles? it could replace the battle tower, maybe?
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Secret Agent

Would there be simple elemental moves! like just simple fire, water, lightning, etc.?

Anyways, I agree with Nytefyre, except one more thing...Maybe we could have it as part of the plot? You would have to battle Orion/Rocket in an overworld battle a couple of times?

Topaz Programmer

Currently the system only supports trainer v trainer/overworld pokemon fights.

I havn't experimented much with the overworld battle system so I don't know its limitations or rooms for us to do some addons but currently their are 3 types of moves and it works in a rock paper scissors system I think. When I have more time I'll investigate exactly how it works.

This system is much in it's embryonic stage, we'll need some more work to tweak it to our needs

Better Than That Guy

Maybe "Leap, Dodge, Attack"
    Leap beats attack (since it hits first), Attack beats Dodge (slower and so can account for dodging), Dodge beats Leap (dodges leaping pokemon, leaping pokemon hurts itself).

uh-ohs

Hopefully there is a way to expand the combat system to allow for types since just having leap dodge attack would be kinda reduced to luck.

Secret Agent

Still, it is an interesting idea.

I don't really think this is necessary... Like, it seems to be a 'simple' script, nothing like Pokémon Rumble. Also, the sprites will take a lot of space to a small role to the game... Even because there's not much sense on these battles, since the pokémon will have few attacks and why not battling with the original system? Well, if you guys really want it in the game, it could be something like a "Little Cup", with only few pokémon able to play. '-'

Administrator

If there's just a few overworlds (we'll need to make some for the game anyway as NPC Pokemon) then there could be a "draft-style" minigame. Just something to break up the monotony.

Vicious cycle

We already have TT as a side game. I agree with Nokeeo, this isn't really necessary. It's just a glorified version of rock-paper-scissors, anyway.

+ Reply to Thread