+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Midnight skin is finished

Administrator

Default Midnight skin is finished

After an insane amount of work, the <a href="http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/index.php?styleid=3">skin</a> is finally finished. If you find anything that looks off or want to comment/suggest then go ahead. I'm still debating whether to make it the default skin or not. False Dawn is also usable but needs work on some areas, which I will get to.

The default skin has been renamed Vanilla since it isn't really the vb 'default' anymore. I figured since we aren't offering the Morning skin, that I would leave Vanilla for those who crave a lighter style.
    Last edited by zeroality; 03-14-10 at 09:50 AM.

Midnight skin is awesome Even though I prefer lighter colors... Good work (y)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I don't like yellow. It's a bit grating on the eyes because of the contrast.

I like my False Dawn just fine.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    I like my False Dawn just fine.
    Agreed.

Administrator

I didn't think anybody actually liked False Dawn. I'll get around to fixing the mistakes on it then.

This color scheme has worked for the midnight theme on both the site/forums for years. I guess it's not for everybody though. It's actually taking me a bit of time to get re-used to this after being on 'Vanilla' for so long.

Valued Topaz Contributor

I'm using Midnight. I like the darker colour scheme.

shoot head summon persona

Did we decide we're not using the old Topaz banners?

Administrator

I like the subtle logo better, a banner like that just pushes down the content without serving any purpose. A banner should be streamlined into the site, not stand out on its own like the old ones did.

I've noticed a couple things that are a little off on this skin and I'll be fixing those. I'll also be changing a couple things, namely the sickenly bright blue around the post box and the last row of posts where the buttons are.

If that's the case, I would recommend from an aesthetic standpoint that you stick with sprites, stock art, or concept art, not all three thrown together - it looks a bit haphazard as is.

Not your grandma's nerd

For some reason, I can't post in the Dex Entries thread whenever I access it on this skin. It's a shame, since I like this skin better anyway.
    Helpful tip of the day:
    Want to become a great PI? Always remember to zip up your pants.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PokePoindexter View Post
    For some reason, I can't post in the Dex Entries thread whenever I access it on this skin. It's a shame, since I like this skin better anyway.
    What thread? Can you link it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirotechnix View Post
    If that's the case, I would recommend from an aesthetic standpoint that you stick with sprites, stock art, or concept art, not all three thrown together - it looks a bit haphazard as is.
    That would be a novel idea, if the choices weren't so limited. It's not like there is a whole lot of quality concept art floating around here.

If I stick to stock art, that means no Topaz Pokemon. If I stick to sprites, it won't look as good as the concept art and there is no trainer concept art. If I stick to concept art, that means no Jirachi and no trainers. I did the best I could with what we have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    If I stick to stock art, that means no Topaz Pokemon. If I stick to sprites, it won't look as good as the concept art and there is no trainer concept art. If I stick to concept art, that means no Jirachi and no trainers. I did the best I could with what we have to work with.
    Didn't you just say that a good banner streamlines into a site rather than pushing down the content? If that's the case, then a limited amount of anything would be preferable to throwing everything in - you prove this yourself in the Pokemon Topaz main site layout. You have the text on the left and the concept art to the far right. Minimalistic, representative of content within the site, gives the top bar an elegant, professional look.

Administrator

I think it should be fine to mix concept art and stocks, at least.

The sprites I initially didn't like, but it doesn't look too bad considering that everything's shrunken.

uh-ohs

Yeah if it was larger I wouldnt really like having the sprites there but I think it looks fine as is.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pirotechnix View Post
    Didn't you just say that a good banner streamlines into a site rather than pushing down the content? If that's the case, then a limited amount of anything would be preferable to throwing everything in - you prove this yourself in the Pokemon Topaz main site layout. You have the text on the left and the concept art to the far right. Minimalistic, representative of content within the site, gives the top bar an elegant, professional look.
    Yeah, it does look a bit crowded. I'll see what I can do after I finish up designing this site I'm doing.

Not your grandma's nerd

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    What thread? Can you link it?
    Never mind, it's not an issue anymore.
    Helpful tip of the day:

Not your grandma's nerd

DP, but the issue's back again. I can't post at all in any Topaz-related forum barring this one (I can still post in the non-Topaz section, though).

I mean, it literally says "You may not post..." for everything there, but I can everywhere else, and I don't think I did anything wrong before this.
    Helpful tip of the day:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by PokePoindexter View Post
    DP, but the issue's back again. I can't post at all in any Topaz-related forum barring this one (I can still post in the non-Topaz section, though).

I mean, it literally says "You may not post..." for everything there, but I can everywhere else, and I don't think I did anything wrong before this.
    See your PMs.

+ Reply to Thread