+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hai Jirachi

Administrator

Default Hai Jirachi

Jirachi would like to say hai.

Not the best work I've ever done, but it could work maybe?

And of course, the smaller you make it the better it looks.

EDIT: Ahhh dots. I'm going to try to clean up some more.
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 02-24-10 at 04:01 AM.

shoot head summon persona

It looks more like a man with a belly flap and a funny hat jumping up in the air than a Jirachi. The torso proportion isn't right, and the mouth is ridiculously large. Jirachi also does have fingers.

Administrator

Jirachi having fingers really depends on what concept art you look at. Some of them do, some of them don't.

Also what is the right torso proportion for Jirachi? It's kind of chubby but not really...

Thanks for your critique though! I'll keep it in mind the next time I try to draw Jirachi. If what you're saying is right though, that's one heck of a good cosplayer.

Also, for the dots, the way I have it set up I don't see them in Photoshop, that's really weird. I guess just put it on light backgrounds? >_<

Administrator

Could use some work but it's definitely better than I could do. Do you use a tablet?

Vicious cycle

Jirachi's head should be as large (if not larger) than its body, and that's not including the star crown. The torso has a teardrop shape to it, so it's skinny at the neck and wide at the hips. The face should be wider as well. It'll look pretty good if you just fix the proportions.

Administrator

That's actually the problem T_T

I have no tablet, so I've been experimenting with a multitude of ways of trying to do digital art. This time I used Sharpie, usually I take a brush in Photoshop and use the mouse to trace over everything. Fixing proportions would require a complete redraw, which is possible (Jirachi has very simple details, they just need to be executed better I guess). Perhaps it's possible to edit it using Photoshop, but I don't think I'm quite good enough to do more than minor edits yet.

shoot head summon persona

Like neon said, the biggest thing is just the shape of the torso, which I'm not sure that you could easily fix without having to redraw it in some form or fashion. If you draw it with the teardrop in mind, that will make fixing the face easier, as just having a smaller neck will give Jirachi the illusion of having a bigger head. You definitely have the structure down, and I definitely didn't mean to imply it looked bad with my comment, the current design just makes Jirachi look chubby all the way down the torso and much larger than its actual size.

Administrator

Another attempt

Cloth is so much fun to do! I don't think I quite have the hang of highlights though.

Administrator

Holy flapping wings Batman! Those are huge! I really like your outlining. It is straight and even for the most part and really helps the image pop out of the screen.

The shading is really cool too. My main gripe is the face but I don't know how I'd improve it without redoing it. Maybe someone else can offer more constructive advice there.

Administrator

The face is just about the easiest thing in the world to redo, being in the center of a wide open white space with no colours. So don't let that hold back any advice. (Directed at everyone, not just zero)

+ Reply to Thread