Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: STT's music

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Default STT's music

Hey! People like Badara (and possibly ImmunityBow) may have seen me skulking around at Acanthite once in a while. Since this seems the appropriate place to post this, I'd gladly give you guys my WIP HGSS soundfont. Just PM me, and I'll probably respond with a link. I'm on dial-up, so it might take a bit. :P (Also, I'm completely serious, I've actually ripped raw DLS instruments from the game and am slowly converting them all to SF2 and naming and organising them to GM/GS standard. Just saying.)

Here's my music masterlist:

Battle Themes
    City/Town Themes
    Dungeon Themes (ignore the v3s in here, they sucked. :P)
    Minigame Themes
    Route Themes
    Topaz Titles/New Game Themes

More will be added as soon as more themes are arranged.
    Last edited by STT; 04-16-10 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed link error. My fault.

Administrator

While it's appreciated and would be really cool STT, Irot_Rebod was the only one with experience in MIDIs and their creation, and so I'm not sure how much help the sound font will be now. My impression is that Irot_Rebod used instruments as he felt fit and didn't bother with making sure they were the same as those used by GameFreak.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think we'll quite go to that level of consistency!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Okay, that's fine with me, It's not done anyway. My SoundFont editor sucks, as I can't use Vienna because of my blasted sound card. Well, thanks for telling me!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

I've already arranged Dynamo Gardens using my SF2. I have a lot of the old MIDI songs on my computer, though for some reason FL Studio won't loop songs that end in the middle of a bar... IDK why. Though I could arrange it again, because I have a million others that sound realistic. :P

Also, I export at the unholy bitrate that Winamp doesn't even know exists: 450kbps. (Winamp detects it as 320. :P)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?o2zumjntolw
    Like I said, I CAN do it again.

Also, I'm not a very good scratcher like I_R is, so IDK about Orion yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...328c9cace34742
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 03-24-10 at 04:48 AM.

Administrator

Just listened to it. It loops very nicely, but at the beginning the upward slide really grates on the ears. Is there a replacement for that?

Still No MIDI Keyboard

It's probably the Violin being an idiot, I'll add something in its place.

EDIT: Dynamo Gardens; Now less eardrum-breaking!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?orqjzyfmdrh

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...328c9cace34742
    An internet goes to the person who can edit that into my previous post.
    Last edited by zeroality; 03-24-10 at 01:42 AM.

Thats what she said

thats sad if IROT is leavin.
    Simply said, I like the Dynamo Gardens.
    ...Though would u then be able then make 1 or 2 more legendaries? (if the better part agrees.)
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

Just let the man make what he wants to make. We're grateful for it.

Legendaries won't be in the demo anyway. I want to focus on stuff we can use right now, not way later in the game's development.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Thats what she said

oohhhh I didn't know how far the demo goes. Simply said, alright.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

STT, while I really really appreciate your efforts in "authenticizing" Topaz music by using HGSS instruments I'm not all that convinced that it's for the best. Certainly, the Routes that were originally from the canon games work wonderfully, HGSS' instruments are made perfectly for those, and yes I'm willing to consider replacing those, but the Topaz-exclusive music such as the dungeons really lose something in the transition. When Irot_Rebod composed those songs, he had some specific instruments in mind and I don't think the HGSS instruments really convey the mood and melody as well as the original choices.

Sorry! The Routes (I've only listened to 201 and 202 so far) sound pretty good though!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

That's perfectly fine with me. I have a bunch of other instruments too, not just HGSS ones. (Thank you, clones.soonlabel.com, for your MASSIVE soundfont stockpile.) Why don't you go to the city theme folder and check out Colossus City's theme.

I've redone Mt. Frost using 'real' instruments, and on my local machine it sounds pretty epic.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?odxzm20ommm
    And here's Mt. Mist, same thing:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dr1mntwm5jm
    Last edited by STT; 03-24-10 at 08:47 PM.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Yet another douple-post due to the edit time limit (NEEDS TO BE TURNED OFF *stares at zeroality*)
    Elite four battle theme, fully orchestrated:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ezmkummyunu

Vicious cycle

While I like the instruments, the vocals are jarring my ears, to be honest. It's like you're playing them backwards or something.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

It's the soundfont, it sounds weird through my speakers, but fine through my earbuds. Guess I'll use the Choir Aahs from another SF2.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    Yet another douple-post due to the edit time limit (NEEDS TO BE TURNED OFF *stares at zeroality*)
    It's there for a reason, just keep double posting if you can't edit - just make sure the limit has expired.

Also sorry for not commenting on your music, I can't listen to it but I'll take the others' word for it. :)

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Alright, some new stuff. I hope you like this, IB: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4...e866bfb1230ce0

Administrator

Oh man you just won my heart over with the first half of Frost Town. I love the sound of the glockenspiel so much. The second half, while still nice, is a little bit on the
    O O
    O O
    O O
    side if you get what I mean. The chords punctuate a little too much, and I prefer Irot's smoother legato. The strings are underplayed in yours (though to be fair on his too, but it's not as noticeable due to the legato) and and lose a lot of spotlight which is a shame because they're such as a nice part. I'm very much willing to consider this one, but I do think it needs a bit more work first. Currently Irot's edges it out by a small margin since his first half is pretty nice too. All in all it's an amazing piece and I think it puts a really great mood onto Frost Town.

Roothaven, yours is just about equally good to Irot's, though I feel his has a bit better balance. I wouldn't mind either but I think this one would come down to a vote if it came to that.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

The verby sound you hear is actually not the glockenspiel. The glockenspiel is the high bell in the background. The Celesta/handbell is what that light sound is.

Administrator

Ah. As one who's played the glockenspiel, the Celesta seems to sound exactly the same.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

FL Studio Reverb effects. They can work wonders. In the main string part, only the background strings still play, the lead is a flute, it sounds a lot smoother.

Administrator

Moved posts from the other topic to its own thread here. The original thread was getting bloated and STT deserves his own recognition.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

http://www.mediafire.com/?jkmjeiyyduz
    Fourth version of Mt. Mist. Better, less ear-shattering choir and some great reverb effects.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzaz2mwkgmz
    Rival Battle version 3. I decided not to release version 2 because of the feedback given by IB on most of the second-version themes.

=NEW!=
    Route 205 version 3:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nzydhytizjl
    Piccolo had to be transposed down one octave, but it still sounds the same.

AGH TRIPLE POST.

Anyway, I don't have ALL the MIDI songs, I need Cianwood and most of the Misc themes, maybe a few others.
    Last edited by zeroality; 03-29-10 at 11:38 PM.

Administrator

Do you need the midi songs? I'm sure I could find them out there somewhere.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Yeah, I have many of them, just not "Team Rocket Theme", the rocket encounter and Cianwood.

Administrator

Team Rocket Theme and The Rocket Encounter if I recall correctly haven't been published in MIDI form, since they're our most recent pieces (You can try to get Irot_Rebod to send them to you if you can catch him).

I tried looking for Cianwood in my folder and I couldn't find it, so I assume it's a similar situation for this one. Have you tried modifying the HGSS version to reflect Irot_Rebod's version?

Administrator

Irot sent me all of his music in mp3 format. Would that help?

Administrator

I believe he wants the midi files so that he can see what the notes are. MP3s don't let you do that.

Administrator

OK, I just contacted Irot and asked him.

Resident Composer

HERE are all the MIDI recordings of every piece I composed/arranged thus far. I hope this helps you.

Just one thing I'd like to make note of: be careful when using these higher quality sound sets. I like some of your instruments, but the problem is since I was using heavy amounts of MIDI in some songs, the higher quality sounds tend to over-saturate the pieces. This was a problem I encountered when converting to .mp3, but I found a way to keep things pleasing to the ear without making the compositions sound too thick. I'd say you're okay so far, but it's borderline, so just be aware of that. Great job with changing sound sets, I'm glad to see that there is somebody who can continue on with the music in my absence. Take care and good luck!
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Huge thanks, IR. Yes, I did notice some oversaturation, one big culprit of that being the Grand Piano. Also, I'm rearranging midis myself and one thing I hate about doing so within FL is that removing unneeded bars doesn't physically remove them, it just converts them to whole rests, to actually loop them I have to remove the rests in Anvil Studio and then since FL hates edited MIDIs, I have to remove the silence from the MP3 in Audacity, which is a process I hate doing. Some particular themes I'm rearranging happen to be Veridian City's theme, as well as the full Magma set.

Well, thanks again, hope you return soon!

EDIT:

Triple Triad!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ymjy31a2cnf
    Last edited by STT; 04-01-10 at 11:26 PM.

Administrator

Edited first post as requested. I feel that the posts after the first one are based off of what was originally posted, so for continuity I kept it.

As for Triple Triad, not bad. A little more upbeat which is good, a little more punctuated which is bad.
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 04-03-10 at 01:54 AM.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

There's some new stuff in a few folders, and the Minigame Themes folder was created specifically for the Triple Triad theme. :P
    Anyway, check out City/Town themes and Minigame Themes. Unknown City is unknown because I have no idea whatsoever of what city it could be used in.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

New folder with two new themes in it: Topaz Titles/New Game Themes

(Topaz Intro sounds a bit weird at points.)

If someone could edit the folder link into the first post, please.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    If someone could edit the folder link into the first post, please.
    I made you a mod of the audio forum so you can edit your own stuff in.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

It's really annoying, this thread is too Christmas-y, too much red and green! Come on, mods and normal people, post what you think!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Alright, given some GREAT feedback from IB and Co., the Orion Defender's theme is now up in the Battle Themes folder!

Administrator

I would really appreciate it if you posted a midi to Claire's theme too so I can look for resemblances.

aut vincere aut mori

Hmm, yeah. That one kinda sounds like a cooler remix of Claires theme.

Administrator

Wow, I just listened to Clair's theme and it really is similar. I don't object to canon remixes in the game (for routes and such) but perhaps since the Orion Defenders are such a signature part of Topaz they should have an original theme?

I could see your theme being used for something else, though, it's a great remix.

On another note, could you possibly remix Jirachi's theme from Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire or some other Jirachi music? I really don't see our current Legendary Pokemon Battle theme being used for either Jirachi or Kipporok. Typhidna, yes, but not too much else. (Typhidna's cool enough to have its own music )
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 04-12-10 at 02:01 AM.

Closed Thread