Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: STT's music

Administrator

Omgsplosion it's an Irot! With advice and commentary on a level I could never give!

I'm sorry if I haven't stressed this enough either, but thanks STT for picking up music for us, your hard work is really appreciated. And Frost Town and Mountainous Foothills are songs I can put on repeat and listen to on Songbird :3

On another note, this won't be happening anytime soon, but one of the summatives I just did at school involved writing music to a video that the art students made, and I found that, well, I was capable-ish of writing short, repetitive tunes. The kind that might be useful for a game. However, I have no harmony training (I have to play it by ear, literally), no midi-writing software and no talent at instrumentation, so perhaps sometime during late July or August, if I manage to pump out a couple of tunes on Finale, will you arrange them STT?

Thats what she said

I just thought of this, but we now have tori back, along with STT right? DAMN! With all the arrangments and remixes, Topaz is going to have a good soundtrack.

Although I can't help with creating music, nor can I help with more "detailed" constructive critisim, I can still give advise. In fact, my bro is in the radio company. He develops some audio himself, so although I dont know too much about it, I've done things before, and I know some faint basics. Not saying I'm gonna become a composer, just saying, with my brother and all, he has taught me and I've got detailed hearing now. (which is ironic knowing when I was little, I was def :P. Strange how things go)
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Thats what she said

Me and someone were talking about stuff including music, and we decided that I should bring up the overlooked topic again with route changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ME!
    Route 202, 3, and 4 and 5 are pretty good. That being said, I think 205 should become 202, have 202 become 203 AND 205, have 203 become a really later route (at least 208) ,and have route 204 become a not as later one. (Possibly 207) I'm using the map and the "tilemaps" to look at.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Battle! Unknown: Is this an arrangement? If not, excellent work. Sometimes the synthesizers are a little overwhelming. But I absolutely love the atmosphere.
    It seems mellotrons can fool the composer! This is actually an arranged version of Giratina-o from Platinum. Unison phasing on the dual drum tracks (yep, two drum tracks) was unintentional, but it sounds awesome.

Topaz Intro: Brass is a little too edgy in the very beginning. There needs to be a darker sound, I think. The soprano and upper voices are overpowering. The faster-paced section is done well, but sounds hollow.
    My soundset is at fault there, the blasted bass winds only go down to C4!

Unknown City: What a cute arrangement. I vote to keep this in the soundtrack. Well done, I'm impressed.
    Veridian City for ya!

Olivine City: In my arrangement, I removed the background electric guitar. It cleaned it up a bit for me, so I recommend giving it a shot. Nice job otherwise.
    There's another version which I haven't uploaded (stupid me!) that has a much cleaner sound to the guitar.

I was just skim reading, and I saw something like you needed Eusine's theme?

I've had it since before the Japan game came out.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Ironically, I don't. I ripped the HG/SS version from the Jap game.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Still No MIDI Keyboard

OH YEAH OH YEAH CHAMPION THEME.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iu5cw9pxfex7vrx

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Default Stt's return dkdsfksfsks

... >.> I died.

Anyway, ORCHESTRAL VSTi VERSION OF DYNAMO GARDENS

http://www.mediafire.com/?dwkbb3s3gcrb416

Administrator

What's the Champion's theme based off of? Because I must admit it does sound pretty epic.

The new Dynamo Gardens version is pretty nice too. The instruments used are a little more interesting than the original's.

You've done a great job of smoothing out your pieces so that they're more pleasing to the ear.

aut vincere aut mori

Dynamo Gardens is awesome now. I feel like I want to carve a statue or something, it's very upbeat.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    What's the Champion's theme based off of? Because I must admit it does sound pretty epic.

The new Dynamo Gardens version is pretty nice too. The instruments used are a little more interesting than the original's.

You've done a great job of smoothing out your pieces so that they're more pleasing to the ear.
    1: Credits roll from B/W. ^^
    2: That's because they're recorded authentic orchestral instruments -- not really synthesised. Except the drums, that is, though they do sound pretty real.

Administrator

Wow, they really amped up the epicness for the BW Credits roll. When I listen to both, they do maybe a bit too similar though.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Kalypso City
    Olivine City
    Colossus City (for the seventh time lololol)

Death is bad.

Resident Composer

Your Kalypso link goes to the wrong place, but I found it anyhow. :P

Kalypso City: I like most of the sounds here, though I think I might like a more "gritty, in-your-face" type of brass in the B section. I'll get you my new version in midi also because there are a few changes. Also, you might want to change the quica from closed to open, I ended up doing that.

Olivine City: Sound fantastic. Might want to cut the remainder off in Audacity if you can. Could cause looping issues later.

Colossus City: This is definitely your best version so far. I love the main synth in the beginning, though I don't care too much for the flutey sound of the organ. A more drawbar-like organ would probably sound a lot better. I love the drumset, except for the tom-toms. They stick out a bit, so if you can adjust the volume of them, it'd be absolutely wonderful. As for the portamento at the end, I love it. The echo. Everything. I'd recommend one thing with the B section... for the Ondes Martenot, I would find a synth that compliments the lead synth, because right now I don't hear a secondary synth on the melody. Great job!
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Administrator

Kalypso City: I'm actually not a fan of the (tom-tom?) drum you added in the first section. I can't say for sure, but it adds lots of minor intervals that are a little jarring and add too much anxiety when the place is supposed to be pretty laid back and sunny-paradise-like. In the B section, the drum that sounds like a hihat also sounds a little urgent, but that whole section is a little less relaxed anyhow. Otherwise it's fine. When the theme isn't playing at the end (the trailing part before it loops) I like how the drums fill in the space, though.

Olivine: Sounds great. No saturation issues, upbeat, pleasing to the ear. Good job! I hear the looping issues too.

Colossus City: It definitely sounds very city-techno-like and probably captures Colossus' don't-care-'bout-nature attitude. The main thing I like here is that it feels different from Midgar Sector (7 was it? The one where Cloud cross-dresses) which was my main issue with the original version.

Thats what she said

Lets see...I like the v4 of dynamo. Sounds really "fun" yet also, it seems a calm feel too.

I've been gone a good while, so is Kalypso more of a rainforest feel? I think the drums are alright, though I'm wondering bout the birds and water. Cause if it has the feel, it would already have the water sound when you near water too, so it would be LOTS OF WATER (not saying that isn't a bad thing but still) the birds have a question on me, but idc either way. ha

Olivine has a really good feel, but yet again, what about the famous intro?
    Like listen...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUbP...eature=related
    you here the couple beats before the music starts. Those I for one think are a needed thing. Other than that, it sounds good. Really good

I can't listen to Colossus right now. Soddy :/

Funny, everyone here talks about the intruments except me. I talk based on "the feel". Lol. Sorry again. I dont know bout many intruments.

Administrator

Kalypso is a Cuban/Jamaican/Caribbean-isles-style laid back beach place with plentiful fruity cocktails and sunny weather. Not really a rainforest.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

http://www.mediafire.com/?lnx2dbljkj9fpo1 -- Frost Town version 4.

You will s**t your pants when you hear this. XD

Administrator

Glad to see you're still rollin' on this STT. Wish I could listen to your work but I am sure it is excellent.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Mt. Mist (I have no clue why I put it in my battle theme folder...)
    Rival Battle (This one's in the right place! XD)

Resident Composer

Frost Town: I could use a little more from the melody - the celesta is being overpowered by the glockenspiel. I love the B section. A nice round, dark sound without oversaturation. Make sure you cut the silence at the end. ;P

Mt. Mist: I really enjoyed this arrangement, sometimes the middle voices stick out a little in the choral texture - this could be because of the instrument changing timbre as it goes through its range (most choir synths do this unfortunately). Loving the dark sounding gong.

Rival Battle: Nice work. This could just be me, but I'm hearing something really wonky with the overtones on the organ, which is too bad because I really like its tone. I need somebody to confirm this, though... I'm losing my sense of hearing in my right ear, so it honestly could just be me.

Keep up the good work, STT. I'll try to pump out some more music for you to play with soon.

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Administrator

Frost Town: As Irot said, the B section works beautifully now. I really liked your old version of the A section though! Could you somehow recreate that with the new instruments?

Mt. Mist: Seems fine. It's not very Pokemon-y anymore, but then again, neither are the canon game songs, so I can't really blame you on that.

Rival Battle: One of the eternal criticisms of this one since its first creation is that there are far too many beats at the beginning. Getting rid of at least two would really help reduce that feeling that the song is tripping. The organ sounds fine to me.

Resident Composer

Hmm... what I hear is extremely quiet and it's tuned to a perfect fifth above the written notes. Oh well, thanks for checking into that, IB...

Administrator

It is very quiet, that's definitely true. And it's very difficult to tell when something is wonky if it's all perfect fifths. Those are built to sound "correct", aren't they? D:

Resident Composer

During Expressionism and on (post-modern music), perfect fifths in parallel motion are common, but in my tonal music, parallel fifths in a set key structure would produce certain spots of dissonance, which is what I think I'm hearing.
    Last edited by Irot_Rebod; 02-01-11 at 03:16 AM.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

Title Screen, fourth version: Oh my God this was a pain in the ass to get right. I literally had to split the track in two then stitch it back together in FL's playlist editor because Edirol (my VST) only supports up to 16 concurrent channels and this had around 20. I had to cut out and combine the three violins, re-export the midi, do the brass and strings, export that, then cut the midi channels for them out the second time through, export as midi AGAIN, re-import, THEN do the drums, bells and woodwinds, tweak volume of the pre-rendered brass and strings, export the whole song as an MP3, then reduce volume of the whole thing in Audacity. Major pain to do, but it's DONE. HOORAY.

Resident Composer

And your hard work has paid off! Great job! ;D

It's nice. Just a couple spots where the volume drops and I can barely hear the progression from one chord to another.
    ö¿ö

Closed Thread