+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soulsilver Troubles

Secret Agent

Default Soulsilver Troubles

So I just got Lugia in Soulsilver. Now there is two things I want to do: Get the Entei/Raikou and defeat the elite 4.

For Entei/Raikou, I got them to 1 hp (pikachu-colored pichu: endure & endeavor). Raikou is asleep. I still can't catch them with quick balls or ultra balls.

For the elite 4, these are my pokemon (I'm not really a stat-trainer or anything, and I'd rather not change the pokemon as I am trying to prove a point to someone.):

Quilava-Lava Pume, Ember, Quick attack, Swift.
    Weepingbell-Vine Whip, Sleep Powder, Cut, Sweet Scent
    Red Gyrados-Waterfall, Aqua Tail, Surf, Whirlpool
    Sudowoodo-Rock Slide, Block (using it on Entei/Raikou), Rock Smash, Strength
    Pidgeot-Fly, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Twister
    Togetic-Metronome, Extrasensory, Flash, Ancientpower

I can't loose the HMs, need them for traveling and stuff. Don't want to loose Sweet scent or Metronome, but will replace Sweet scent if necessary. Any move change suggestions?
    They are levels 36-40, working on getting up to 45 (or should I aim higher?)
    Thus far, my strategy has been run-in-and-keep-trying-until-I-win. I've even won a few by using hyper potions on my gyrados until the opponent is struggling, then sending in my pokemon weak to that type.

I don't really understand the stat stuff, so I just train until I win. Would someone explain stats/EVs/whatever? I don't get that either.

Yeah, I need alot of help. Sorry I'm so messed up.

Just a guitar and pen

For a start, evolve Quilava. By not evolving it, you're looking at level 50+ before it's anything like a level 45 Typhlosion. Level 38-42 was my level cap for the first elite 4 run so you should be okay-ish dependant on the moves and luck you get. If I'm honest, I doubt you will make it past the first guy. You have nothing to handle Psychics (His theme). Gyarados doesn't even have bite....

I suggest you be patient and try catch Entei and Raikou. They have bite iirc. But yeah, just wait it out til you get Raikou and Entei, even one will help immensely in your team. You will need some major luck though cos the themes in the e4, you have hardly any counters. The dragon trainer for example, he will destroy your team with Outrage. Why didn't you let Gyarados learn Ice Fang? You need it majorly, MAJORLY at the moment.

EVs/Stat/IVs etc would take days to explain so I just suggest smogon tbh, they have all the guides and stuff sorted. Don't worry about EVs training, you only need to do that if you're battling competitively on wifi or if you're breeding a super team.
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/DemonicNecromancer/Animemanpr.png

"We love the things we love for what they are." - Robert Frost, Hyla Brook

RPG Administrator

I'd say lose Rock Smash, and teach it to someone you can pull out of the PC, since you won't really need it, and it's a weak attack. Entei and/or Raiku will help immensely, as stated above, and a good Dark or Bug Type Move will help with Will. Once you get your team up to a respectable Level, the only real problem will be Lance, the Champ. He has 3 Dragonites that all know Dragon Rush and Thunder, and Thunder Wave. He also has an Aerodactyl, a Charizard which is always last, and a Regular Gyarados which is always first. His first Dragonite is Level 50, and the other 2 are 49. i don't remember the rest of the levels. Also, watch out for Gyarados's Waterfall. He spams it, and causes Flinch a lot. Dragon Rush is also spammed, and very powerful...and that's about all i know.

Edit: also, teaching Quilava Dig really helps.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Just a guitar and pen

Lance always ends on Aerodactyl for me so I dunno if it differs. His 2 dragonites at level 49 differ with one having Fire Blast, other having Blizzard. He'll use Outrage on his level 50 Dragonite no matter what. ON EVERYTHING.

If you have the U-Turn TM, wait for bug contest days (tuesdays/thursdays/saturday) and try catch a Scyther. I know you said you don't want to change your team but Scyther woukd help immensely although the first guy has 2 Xatus which kinda renders bug moves to neutral. Still, you need something with Bite at least. Haunters are piss easy to train, go for one imo instead of Togetic. Togetic will get raped no matter what...it won't help in the slightest.

Besides what I've said, I see no possible way you can beat them if you didn't take the advise. You know what would be good? A Graveler (Golem if you're able to trade). They're like level 34 in the Victory Road so training them up to 42ish wouldn't be hard/long. They'd rock in the dragon battle since they would root Charizard and Fire Blast Dragonite kinda useless.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Limkins View Post
    If I'm honest, I doubt you will make it past the first guy.
    Wow, you must be PSYCHIC. That came true TWICE!
    Anyways, I just caught Raikou, but, as aforementioned, I'm kinda obligated to use Quilava, Gyrados, Pigeot, Togetic, Sudowoodo. The most I can do is change moves, train, and evolve Weepingbell. Now, I can handle getting Gyrados Ice Fang (I don't think I've had a chance to teach it yet). What should I get rid of for dig?
    Also, what moves are good for psychics?
    I also need help with dragons. I heard that they are weak to ice, but that did NOTHING on the last gym leader. But, then again, I only had blizzard.
    Actually, I can use a Beedrill too, if that would be good. I'd have to train alot though, its only level 20 or something.

RPG Administrator

Ice is super effective against Dragon's, the only reason it failed for you on Clair was probably because you thought that Gyarados was a Dragon, when it's really Water/Flying, and since it's only Normal effective on Kingdra since it's Water/Dragon. Dragon Moves are also super effective against Dragons...

Edit: i'd say lose either Ember or Quick Attack. Ember is really weak, and you can use Pidgeot's Quick Attack instead. Dark, Bug, and i think Ghost are Super effective against Psychics. Also, Why not evolve Quilava? Typhlosion is awesome.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Just a guitar and pen

Lance is piss easy if you trained your Gyarados to about level 55, learning dragon dance/waterfall/surf/icefang. Infact, that gyarados beats the entire league single handedly.

DEFINATELY lose ember, you have lava plume already, you've no need for 2 special fire attacks. Pidgeot "should" beat Bruno alone with his flying attacks give the SE and stab. But I'm unsure about your attack and whatnot since Hitmonchan has better defence than Lee and he also has a hitmontop with counter, should it survive one of your moves, you're dead.

If you really want to do it under your circumstances, take the time to train Gyarados to level 55 in victory road. It might take around 60 battles but if it faints, you can go to the pokecentre right in Indigo Plateau and all of them in there are weak to Gyara bar ursaring. Also catch an ursaring and train it, they're mighty strong and hit very hard. Gyarados is the way forward though.

Secret Agent

I think I'll use Lugia and Entei and Raikou, I "tecnically" only have to beat it with those circumstances, not necessarily on first time...I'll train them in Kanto then beat the elite four again.

Not your grandma's nerd

I would make these changes:
    Typhlosion-Flamethrower, Focus Blast, Rollout, Swift.
    Victreebell-Leaf Blade, Sleep Powder, Return, Sweet Scent
    Red Gyrados-Dragon Dance, Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Earthquake
    Sudowoodo-Rock Slide, Block (using it on Entei/Raikou), Rock Smash, Strength
    Pidgeot-Fly/Aerial Ace, Agility, Featherdance, Roost
    Togetic-Wish, Extrasensory, Air Cutter, Ancientpower
    Quilava really has to evolve into Typhlosion, and Flamethrower/Focus Blast is a much better combo than what you initially had (Focus Blast takes out Rock-types and makes good use of Typhlosion's great Special Attack). I'd also replace QA with Rollout to irritate Koga's team (oh, and did I mention 100% of Lance's team takes super-effective damage from it?).

I know there's some way of getting a Leaf Stone pre-E4 (I don't have HG or SS, but I read you can get them somewhere), and I highly recommend using it on Weepinbell. Vine Whip should be replaced with Leaf Blade (learned at Level 47). Also, of all the good normal-type moves in the game, Cut is not one of them, and should not be used on your main team for any reason. If you're going to use a Normal-type attacking move, use Return. Sweet Scent and Sleep Powder are okay.

For Gyarados, keep Aqua Tail (or Waterfall if absolutely necessary) but ditch the HM moves. You can't not use Dragon Dance on him, and Ice Fang will really help against the E4 (*cough* Lance). I know you can get TM26 before reaching the Elite Four, so this guy should receive it.

For all it's worth at your current point in the game, Sudowoodo's not too bad. But Stone Edge would be better for it if you plan to make this a staple of your team in the long run, and Rock Smash should be replaced with Brick Break by that point too.

Either use Fly or another Flying-type move on Pidgeot, but not both. Wing Attack should be replaced anyway, either with Aerial Ace or (if you choose to keep Fly) Agility is a good choice. Also, just like Gyarados is incomplete without DD, Pidgeot is incomplete without Featherdance. Lastly, I'd add Roost for some extra recovery options. Seriously, Pidgeot serves little to no purpose as a sweeper. He's best if he's primarily a utility.

If you can evolve Togetic into Togekiss, I'd do so. If not, don't bother. In the case that you can't, the obvious first change is replacing Flash with Air Cutter. Metronome is also vastly overrated; you can perform any attack, but it doesn't help if you accidentally choose the wrong move (i.e. Explosion against a Gengar). It's too unreliable against the E4. Use Wish instead for recovery.

Gotta be honest, it's a lot easier to go through the main game with 3 or 4 Pokemon (and an HM Slave), then get the full team together when you're ready to do competitive battling. I'd also advocate not using Legendary Pokemon, but that's redundant to this topic.
    Last edited by PokePoindexter; 04-08-10 at 11:45 PM.
    Helpful tip of the day:
    Want to become a great PI? Always remember to zip up your pants.

Just a guitar and pen

Y'know the best Typhlosion set to use is SunnyDay/Flamethrower(Or FireBlast)/FocusBlast/SolarBeam

All of them moves are obtainable before the E4, you just require 9000P and that's it. IF you do intend to evolve it, go get that set, I use it on my Fave mons set and it rocks some serious shit.

Secret Agent

Yeah, like I have 9000P. I wasted all my money buying ultra balls for Entei.

Just a guitar and pen

It's not like 9000p is hard...sell some nuggets or something? Sell TMs? Blood?! But seriously you should've at least had 10k left...

+ Reply to Thread