+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Topaz of yesteryear (updated with more sprites)

Administrator

Default Topaz of yesteryear (updated with more sprites)

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/preview/pokemon.htm

Found that in some of my sister's old files. Her ex must have saved it when I asked him to do some art for Topaz (which turned out to be crap).

stuff

Holy crap, those sprites SUCK.

And lol at Gardenia, Talispriit, Posiduct/Negalate, and "Kraken", which, of course, is the original name for the being.

aut vincere aut mori

Wow, bakurge looks pretty similar...

What's with the jungle lizard looking grass starters? And pyreign looks way different...

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    Wow, bakurge looks pretty similar...

What's with the jungle lizard looking grass starters? And pyreign looks way different...
    This is like, the first incarnation of Topaz EVAR. Pyreign was SUCKY back then...

....goddamn, I miss Foldicrane. Horribly. That thing was pure epic, on a stick. Daguerreo was cute, and Catana/Katana was at the very least a great concept, though the sprites never came out all too well....yeah, the sprites did suck, but these bring back some awesome memories =D
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Back Again!

my Skalloy and Goldrake are there!
    I think many if not most of those are from Slicknstylin...
    Man...the years haven't been kind to our old sprites.

Administrator

I find it amusing that Scorchion and Bakurge are the only sprites that stayed basically the same.

Vicious cycle

Oh god I miss Portobellow.

Also it still amazes me that my Scorchion hasn't undergone any further renditions, considering it was my very first sprite.

uh-ohs

purior=wtf

Administrator

That Purior stood for a surprisingly long time, by the way. No one could think of how to improve it until LostBinary finally did just about the time I joined.

I liked Whispore and Portabellow too ):

Thats what she said

Wow... I know I couldn't do any better, but wow! I got some good laughs out of that. Wish I was there back in the day. Sounds like a decent amout of people have been here from the beginning though.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Back Again!

Whispore and Portabellow = my ideas that eventually bit the dust, they joined the club along with Tawnight, Catana, Terraprot, Tastung, Orbrite and Spherglow (lol bad names), and Apollyon (iirc).
    Wow, it's really cool to see how far Topaz has come. I was just wondering, way back in the day, did I ever suggest the Evo of reefrain that he was created with? The line was supposed to be Reefrain - Tidalurk. And Catana was supposed to evolve into Scimitigar.

Passionion makes me smile : )

lmfao @ the cross-eyed Raiger. I complained about that for months. :/
    Last edited by OddCrow; 04-28-10 at 03:26 AM.

Secret Agent

It is nice to see how much has changed...But alot of the ideas seem to be the same, too.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I remember when Foldicrane was still going to be included... Topaz lost a lot of awesomeness when it was dropped.

And another gem from the past, the original Grific, made by moi:

The only thing that lasted was the name. :P

the Dragon Master

well from the looks of it yall looked like yall were gonna add 4th gen pokes...
    plus some of them are better than what I could've ever thought of...
    i think that if ya'll manage to start up another game ya'll should go through these again and see if you can update them...
    they might be able to work...
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Administrator

Thanks to someone who shall not be named, I happened across a few more old sprites. By the way, I checked and that page was saved on 5/5/06 so if anybody has any more sprites from that era, send them my way. I'd like to preserve this and maybe make a page chronicling the history of Topaz, and update the page to show on the site.

Speaking of which, looking at the code (which I did write, 4 years ago) makes me want to fucking kill myself. I can't believe I was ever that terrible. Capitalized html tags, javascript files to show content (my idea of making it 'dynamic'), tables for layout, ugh. If I could go back in time and stab myself in the face for writing that, I would.

Anyway - http://www.pokemontopaz.net/preview/pokemon.htm

Added:
    419. Grizlare
    461. Phantasomo
    436. Brontogon
    455. Serberine
    454. Chiarame
    450. Blitzfaust
    445. Sinestril
    442. Tsunall
    441. Quiisord
    440. Tidasale
    427. Harskrow
    433. Mallarge
    411. Portobellow

Administrator

Looking back, and looking now, it almost makes me wish we started the whole design process sometime later, where the experience and knowledge gained from designing stats, movesets, encounter rates, etc. really factors in. Not that I don't love almost every one of Topaz's Pokemon but there are some really frustrating places where they just don't fit. (It took me ages to find ideas of what to do with Mirust... and I believe we still don't know what to do with Purior)

But then maybe that's why each generation of Pokemon is getting progressively less awesome for me: they are designed with the game in mind instead of with the Pokemon in mind, which is how they come up with things like Purugly and Pachirisu.

aut vincere aut mori

That malistril sprite actually looks decent. And Blitzfaust is like the same too.

Back Again!

Yeah, I really feel you on this one. Especially on the moves and encounter rates. We were a group of people who were excited about creating, and the prospect of making Pokemon, Moves, Abilities, Naming Cities and the like is a blast. But then force-fitting them all together is a real challenge. I do believe that we (mostly other people besides me ._.) have done an admirable job tying things together. Although sometimes I look at the Moves/Abilities list and just think to myself "Who is gonna use these?"

ALSO!
    The best sprite I ever made, my proposed evolution of Relicanth back in the day, BASAULT!

I do remember that Tawnight had a pretty bad-ass sprite, made by I forget who.
    Last edited by OddCrow; 04-30-10 at 06:23 AM.

Vicious cycle

Haha, I remember that sprite of yours Oddcrow. Can't say I supported the idea back then :P

And yeah, sure is 20/20 hindsight around here. Our biggest error was treating new Pokemon, moves, and abilities as separate entities, when we should've considered the dynamics between them. If I had the power to edit the current move and ability list, I would.

Administrator

Luckily the ability list was changeable, and the changes (such as removing Heavy Armor, changing Trained Mind to Cunning and Super Shield to Confound) have really helped. It also helps that we keep on finding returning Pokemon on which the abilities like Echo and Boil fit (Exploud and Torkoal respectively). The Move list also wasn't designed for split Physical/Special, but I'm interested in seeing how it turns out: Ground doesn't have a great Special attack, Ghost is quite special-centred. Maybe it will actually turn out better than D/P's split since each type is more specialized and less able to do everything.

aut vincere aut mori

Umm... Who made that Lucario sprite?

Administrator

I checked in the Topaz Photobucket and it doesn't say.

aut vincere aut mori

I was asking because I'm pretty sure I've seen that sprite in a pokemon ROM hack.

Administrator

I don't think it was custom sprited by us. I got some more old sprite submissions but I haven't had the time to put them up yet.

Valued Topaz Contributor

I like the old Gryphonic. Don't get me wrong, the new one is great. But I like the colors on the old one.

the Dragon Master

well looking at the latest page of the pokemon list I think a lot of those pokemon look good and that they could've been used in the game...
    course u could always toss in a special version of one of them that looks like one of these guys...
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

+ Reply to Thread