+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now Reading (Book)

Secret Agent

Just finished Heir of Mystery, sequel to The Fall of Fergal. Going to buy the last in the series, The Rise of the House of MacNallys, soon. I love dark humor.

Stumbling

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    twilight
    not to sure 'bout it though
    >.o Ew.

Finished Echoes of Honor by David Weber, now reading Ashes of Victory by the same author.

Valued Topaz Contributor

*squee* Twilight!

*ahem.* Reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman.

Administrator

Finished Dune. It was interesting.

Started on The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (as opposed to one of the numerous spinoffs by other authors), and I'm really enjoying it. Victorian vocab dumps are pretty cool when actually in context. "Simious", "disquisition" and "prognathous" are definitely not used as casually today.

Secret Agent

I don't even know what they mean. If I did, however, I would start using them in my everyday comunications with others.

Reading The Crucible in school, but we are going WAAAAAAY to slow. At least it is better than last year's first book in class.

I'm really happy in my English class despite that, because we have 20 minute reading in class once a week.

We all watched the crucible. With the witch hunt?
    thanx for the avi, Quinn. (although not sure if you know or not)

Ink heart , its a really good book
    I'm backish, i think at least

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I recently finished Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels for class. It's Canadian literature that's now a movie, but I thought it was awful.

I'm hoping to actually finish Pride and Prejudice over the winter break. I really want to find out what happens, but I don't have time until then...

RPG Administrator

wow, we just finished The Crucible not too long ago, ourselves! Mrs. Hill is annoying at times though......My English Teacher...
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

/read Crucible in English a month or two ago, but that's neither here nor there

Just read A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. Hopefully gonna check out and read the next book in the series, A Clash of Kings, soon. They're very well written.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

bad dawg on mars,
    love that book
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

Spriter and Gym designer

Just finished reading The Alchemist in school. It's not as bad as my classmates say it is (not saying much), but it isn't as good as it would sound from reading the back. Just started reading Acceleration, again for school, so far it seems a bit strange, but not bad.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

DID NOT read Pride and Prejudice and I'm going to have to start over, its been so long.

Instead, for class, I've been reading What We All Long For by Dionne Brand, The Tempest, Paradise Lost, and I've begun to wade into As For Me and My House by Sinclair Ross. (More Canadian literature).

I'm also supposed to be reading Heart of Darkness, but my previous attempt proved nearly fatal, so I may just skip it, like of done with countless other works for this university English class. :$ I do not condone this type of behaviour for any of you. Stay in school, don't do drugs.

aut vincere aut mori

I got a Kindle for christmas, and have been going insane with reading ever since. Right now I'm working my way through the entire Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Already read those, very funny. Have you read the Wheel of Time series?
    ö¿ö

Secret Agent

Starting on the Dresden Series.

My bro likes that one. Haven't read it myself
    ö¿ö

Tongues of Serpents, by Naomi Novik. It is the...6th book in the His Majesty's Dragon series, which is very good and you should all read it pronto. It's basically the Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons. And more awesome (also more awesome than just adding dragons to stuff is).
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Everyone should read the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pulman (the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass). The story is great, and has a very moving conclusion. I warn you, however, that those with religious affiliation may be somewhat offended by the content.
    ö¿ö

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by MeekRhino View Post
    Everyone should read the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pulman (the Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass). The story is great, and has a very moving conclusion. I warn you, however, that those with religious affiliation may be somewhat offended by the content.
    I'm pretty religious, and I really wasn't offended at all by the series. It depends on what affiliation and how much you know about theology. But I also HIGHLY recommend the series. It's one of my favourite series of books.

I finished As For Me And My House, which was actually quite good. Next, I'll be reading The Wasteland by T.S. Elliot. This is the last thing I have to read for English (other than all of the things I've skipped over) but I probably won't have time to read anything until the summer. I'm hoping to finish a bunch, because I really miss reading.

Administrator

Wait what. We're actually reading The Wasteland right now in English. Funny how things work out.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

We'll have to start a Topaz book discussion group. I'm sure I'll be able to tell you all kinds of strange things about it by the end of next week. University English is... interesting in that way.

now im reading deltora quest by emily rodda
    I'm backish, i think at least

Stumbling

Quote Originally Posted by XTS View Post
    Tongues of Serpents, by Naomi Novik. It is the...6th book in the His Majesty's Dragon series, which is very good and you should all read it pronto. It's basically the Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons. And more awesome (also more awesome than just adding dragons to stuff is).
    It's a wonderful series, though I've only read 3 of the books. I also recommend it.

Just finished The Big Meow by Diane Duane. Loved it, though I'm going to have to re-read the entire series again. Going on to read Guardians of the Flame: The Heroes by Joel Rosenberg.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    Starting on the Dresden Series.
    SUCH a good choice. Very good series. On book 5 now.

Administrator

I just finished rereading the first three Harry Potter books, and I must say that The Prisoner of Azkaban has jettisoned itself back up to the top of my all-time favourites list. There's just such a beautiful causality that permeates the entire story, and I get this awesome feeling that Rowling wasn't intending to write to conform. She uses tropes and caricatures liberally, paints her world with a wonderful narrative, and doesn't seem to worry what others think as long as she can tell a great story. This is my first rereading in years (though I've read the series many times when I was younger) and I'm noticing so much more now, which is the mark of some truly great books.

Spriter and Gym designer

I like how she mentions characters that don't appear until later books. For example

Administrator

Being without internet for a week = a lot of reading got done. Read The Emperor of Nihon-Ja, the last book in the Ranger's Apprentice series, definitely one of my favorites. Then went on to read a pair of books by the highly amusing Jasper Fforde: The Last Dragonslayer, a stand-alone, and The Eyre Affair, the first book in the Thursday Next series. I've heard bits and pieces of most of the books in the series while my parents were listening to them on tape in the car, but I definitely look forward to reading them in full, because they're hilarious. And, again, I recommend the series to...well, anyone older than, say, 13.
    ― Douglas Adams

Administrator

I don't know whether Rowling was planning the whole thing out from the start. From what I understand the first book was written basically on napkins from fast-food chains, I don't think she was really expecting Harry Potter to be the success that it was. I do know what foreshadowing is, and Rowling makes absolutely excellent use of it throughout the first few books, probably the best of any author I know (along with caricature, take that Dickens!)

The Ranger's Apprentice series came out a while ago, right? Something like 6-7 years ago? If so, I remember wanting to read that at some point, because the cover was cool. XD

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Okay, summer is here, reading has recommenced: The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I love so much of her stuff, and this book (though I'm only 50 pages in) is no exception.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    I don't know whether Rowling was planning the whole thing out from the start.
    I doubt it. She may have thrown it in to fall back on if she wanted another idea, but she almost certainly didn't decide the future of the ENTIRE series beforehand.

I've been thinking of reading The Ranger's Apprentice for a while, never got around to it.

About to start Slaughterhouse 5 in English, if I heard my teacher correctly.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    I doubt it. She may have thrown it in to fall back on if she wanted another idea, but she almost certainly didn't decide the future of the ENTIRE series beforehand.
    No, she might have. I heard she spent two years figuring out the limitations of magic.

In regards to Ranger's Apprentice: the series has been around for a while (the 3rd came out when I was in 5th grade...so, 5 years ago), but more and more books have been coming out more recently, until the 10th and final one about a month ago. And if you were interested in it, you should definitely read them all. Jus' sayin'.
    ― Douglas Adams

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by XTS View Post
    And if you were interested in it, you should definitely read them all. Jus' sayin'.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    No, she might have. I heard she spent two years figuring out the limitations of magic.
    Well, I spent 5 years "figuring out the limitations of magic" (aka pretending to shoot spells and telling people that you can't get a million dollars, destroy the world, or make me stop being annoying by saying "abrakadabra").

If this discussion escalates, we might end up with a "Literary Devices and Plot Analysis of Harry Potter and Rowling's Planning of the Series" Thread.

aut vincere aut mori

Actually, I heard that most of the first book did not have the grand plot in mind,
    I would think that she had the central ideas planned out, but brought the details in after the first book or two became so successful.
    Last edited by Reliability; 04-26-11 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags by request

Spriter and Gym designer

Shouldn't you be using spoilers?

HIJACK EDIT: Added them in. Really, though, I don't think it's too big a deal. ~Reli
    Last edited by Reliability; 04-26-11 at 01:43 AM.

Administrator

Finished The Goblet of Fire. The final exposition scene thrills me every time. They really are wonderful mystery novels.

It's also cool how there's one major-ish character each book that's just extremely well developed.

Secret Agent

Administrator

+ Reply to Thread