+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Now Reading (Book)

Spriter and Gym designer

Administrator

Secret Agent

Started re-reading Harry Potter. There was a LOT that I missed the first time through. I'm on book 3 now.

Administrator

Write a fanfic.

What, like DC did with Superman and the whole "what if his spaceship landed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas" thing? Could be interesting if done well.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Reading Jane Austen is like wading through honey. It's nice and sweet and everything, but it takes SO LONG.

I've moved on to Petals on the Wind by V.C. Andrews. I love her stuff, especially My Sweet Audrina. Petals is the sequal to Flowers in the Attic which is also excellent.

Administrator

Huh, that's what I'm feeling about The Fellowship of the Ring right now. The writing style is masterful but the pacing is so ridiculously slow. (Yeah, I haven't read The Lord of the Rings yet. Didn't like it when I was 7 and haven't really had the occasion/will to read it until now.)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    the pacing is so ridiculously slow.
    That's why I refused to read the trilogy after reading The Hobbit as an independent project in English Lit since I was ahead.

My teacher was all like "Wasn't the ending to that great? The Lord of the Rings trilogy is just as good, but it has the same kind of pace."

No thanks.

Then 4-5 years later, the movies did it for me anyway. Thank you Peter Jackson.

Spriter and Gym designer

I'm reading through the Pendragon books for the first time. I've gotten about halfway through The Reality Bug (the fourth book) around the point where...
    I'm enjoying the books so far and was wondering if anyone else around here read(s) those books.

Brazilian Member

Just Ended "A Clash of Kings" from "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, waiting for the 3rd, because here in Brazil, the 3rd chapter only arrives in september... dammit!

One of the best fantasy books ever!

A Classic is something that acquires the eternal aclamation: yesterday, today and the next day

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Huh, that's what I'm feeling about The Fellowship of the Ring right now. The writing style is masterful but the pacing is so ridiculously slow. (Yeah, I haven't read The Lord of the Rings yet. Didn't like it when I was 7 and haven't really had the occasion/will to read it until now.)
    My 4th grade teacher made us read the entire series as a class. It was boring at the time, but now I appreciate it. There must be something wrong with me.

Administrator

I was reading the part between Bree and Rivendell, and I enjoyed how the 20+ day trip was made into a 5-10 segment of the movie. He incurred the Ringwraith's wound for 17 days in the book! (As compared to being transported by lovely elf lady in a dramatic river crossing sequence within minutes.)

Reading Shadow Puppets by Orson Scott Card, which I guess qualifies as the second book in a 'spin-off' of the Ender's Game series. Still a very good book. At least, I was reading it; I was on the last 20 pages or so when I lost track of the book ._. It's in the house somewhere, just need to track it down...

In other news, eagerly awaiting the opportunity to read A Dance With Dragons, latest book in a Song of Ice and Fire. Didn't find out about its release until a week before, and then forgot to reserve it at the library (I only read books once, even books as good as this series, so it didn't pay to go out and buy it; contemplating sitting and reading it all day in a bookstore and then putting it back on the shelf, though) for another two weeks, so I'm a lot farther down on the list than I would have hoped. But hopefully I should be getting the book around the time I hit the massive stretch of free time at the end of the summer. Woot.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by XTS View Post
    At least, I was reading it; I was on the last 20 pages or so when I lost track of the book ._. It's in the house somewhere, just need to track it down...
    I bet it's somewhere in the kitchen. That's always where I find stuff.

I'm up to book 6 in Harry Potter, and book 5 seemed entirely new. I remembered the major plot points, but I had completely forgotten the details.

Stumbling

Currently reading Tongues of Serpents by Naomi Novik. How I missed reading about Temeraire.

I am reading the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan. Currently on Book 8 (Crown of Swords)
    ö¿ö

Secret Agent

Books I've read recently: The Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Inheritance, and Life of Pi. They were all great. Rereading The Hobbit now.

Secret Agent

Now reading Pokemon Adventures manga series. Why have I not read this before?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters is my current project. It's actually really funny, but would probably be lost on anyone who hasn't read the original. I'll likely be following this up with The Beautiful and The Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald and then Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.

While my internet was down I read both To Kill a Mocking Bird and Of Mice and Men
    Now that it's back up I'm reading forum posts. Yay!
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

Secret Agent

Several weeks ago I read The Things They Carried, Feed, and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption in my English class. The last of the three was the only one I really enjoyed.
    Recently read Fated and Cursed by Benedict Jacka, they're really good if you're into modern fantasy.
    Also read Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm not going to lie, I went into the book really wanting to hate it, but I couldn't. It was a great book.
    Currently continuing my re-reading of the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher while I wait for my library to have Catching Fire (Hunger Games's sequel), or for Taken (Cursed's sequel) or Cold Days (upcoming Dresden Files book) to be released.

Administrator

I've heard good things about the Hunger Games books. Over the weekend while I was away I read The Phantom of the Opera which I enjoyed a great deal.

Secret Agent

Ugh, why doesn't my college library have the book I want... I'd be sadder about that if I had more time to read. As it is, I've spent the last month trying to get to the half-way point in the book I'm reading. And my English class doesn't have readings.

Although, in my Genetics class we're (slowly) reading How to Defeat Your Own Clone by Kyle Kurpinski and Terry D. Johnson. It's not really a novel, but it's entertaining enough. We'll also be reading
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, but I haven't started that one yet.

Secret Agent

I loved Oryx and Crake, as well as the sequel, Year of the Flood. They were a little hard for me to get through, since they're not the kind of book I usually read, but it was worth it.

Administrator

Finally finished The Two Towers and am on to The Return of the King... I go through the LotR books pretty slowly....

Secret Agent

My fourth grade teacher made us read the entire LotR series in one school year. I loved them then. but now I can barely get through Chapter 1 of The Hobbit without getting bored. Which is a shame, because I don't remember what happened at all.

Administrator

Just finished The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green. I finished it within 28 hours, which is odd because I'm usually a very slow reader. In any case, at first I wasn't really sure what the big fuss was all about, mostly because I'm not a huge fan of the teenage voice (especially teenage girls). However, it got a lot better and there are some beautiful sentiments in the book. It's very quotable.

aut vincere aut mori

This summer I've read a few solid books. Insomnia by Stephen King was quite excellent, but King is among of favorite authors so that was no surprise to me.

I also read Little Brother and Homeland, both by Cory Doctorow. They were very interesting and extremely relevant in today's society. It surprised me that Little Brother was written 5 years ago, reading it now would cause one to think it had came out yesterday. Best of all, they are available for free on the author's website.

Overworlder (I think)

A series of unfortunate events. On a side note, I'm pretty sure topaz is dead.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

Secret Agent

I've been reading through Kevin Hearne's series, Iron Druid Chronicles.

As for your side note, people have said that in the past, and every time we've bounced back. You can check out the Questions thread for a more detailed explanation for the inactivity.

Administrator

Theatre History: An Introduction.... gah I haven't been able to do any personal reading because of large amounts of readings assigned on the first day of class. I will eventually probably finish The Return of the King and move on to Les Mis or something.

Default -

Im reading Houssenis book The Kite Runner now. Im on chapter 7. Its a pretty detailed story of what it was like growing up privileged in Afghanistan 30 years ago. It will be a quick read, as the book is engrossing, ergo hard to put down.

+ Reply to Thread