+ Reply to Thread

Thread: awesome art for kraklaw but there's a catch...

Administrator

Default awesome art for kraklaw but there's a catch...

If we wanted to use it, it would have to be resprited to fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by oykawoo's email
    If you wanna change Kraklaws looks by any chance I got a picture of him I sketched a while back when I was just bored.

If someone will resprite it then we can vote on which sprite to use if there is a disagreement. I don't think we have any scratch spriters left here though? Personally I'm not a big fan of what's up there now so I wouldn't mind changing and you know I'm always up for being able to use more of oykawoo's work.

Back Again!

Idk, the art is nice, but it looks like a monster from futurama, and not so much like a pokeman.

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Administrator

The current sprite is old and a little small, I guess. I can try scratching it just so we can see it and vote.

Administrator

lol futurama

Look at the D/P designs. Anything passes for Pokemon now. Even OVENS

I think it is better than the current.

Administrator

I think a change in the eyes is probably enough to get the Pokemon feel. I'll try it out.

Vicious cycle

I actually really like it. And if anything is from Futurama, it's the old sprite.

Administrator

Just a small WIP teaser. I'd also like to hear public opinion about an option:

Closed claw

Open claw

Which?

(The issue of the third tentacle being disjointed is being fixed)

Vicious cycle

Main problems I see with the sprite are the perspective and proportions. Perspective-wise, it seems to be standing up on its tentacles, a pose which isn't very natural for an octopus. It also seems to be leaning to the left. The right claw (the one closer to the viewer) shouldn't be pointing upwards, imo, it just looks awkward.

If you're basing the sprite entirely on the concept art, then the main head should be a lot bigger than it is now. The tentacles also look disproportional. Fortunately it's an outline at this point, so it's fairly easy to change these aspects.

RPG Administrator

what barnacle says is true, though when it comes to final design, i'd go with open claw over closed claw...also, shouldn't the claws also be a little bit bigger than they are now?
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Administrator

Okay, I can make the claws bigger, and possibly the head, but I disagree with you entirely on the pose. Yes, it is leaning to the left, because that's how I wanted it to look. Yes, the claw is raised, just imagine it. He raises his claw, leaning forwards. And it doesn't matter whether he looks like he's standing or not since he's a water Pokemon... so he should be floating anyway. To make this more apparent I'll shorten the first tentacle, lengthen the second and make the curl bigger. A neutral, sitting flat on tentacles with claws down approach would be rather boring, don't you think?
    Last edited by ImmunityBow; 05-08-10 at 07:00 PM.

Thats what she said

I see IB has something good goin on. Now since I can't do anything "good" with scratch spriting yet...I tried the pixel over spriting (take the image, resize it and make it a sprite. Its on a spriting guide. I've learned everything from this, and I might be able to start practice scratch spriting )
    http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx

This is my first time of doing pixel overs...so it isn't near as good as some.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

holy crap I think that is really good. Takes some of the awesome away that you didn't scratch sprite it but that is awesome nonetheless.

Administrator

It's an excellent pixel-over but I've learned that people find it unprofessional if your sprites are just pixel-overs of your concept art. Great job though, you captured it really well!

As for my version, I was about three pixels away from finishing it before my power went out for the last 4 hours. Short said, I've lost all my work and need to redo it :/

Thats what she said

I'm sorry...thats gotta suck. I just barely tried my stuff at a scratch sprite. It was actually a pokemon called Pengwint (from acanthite)...and I couldn't even do that. That was like a slap in the face big time...I dont know if I'm really set for scratch spriting if I cant even do a ball with wings and a beak...I know practice makes perfect but still. (I just major vented)

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I'm sorry...thats gotta suck. I just barely tried my stuff at a scratch sprite. It was actually a pokemon called Pengwint (from acanthite)...and I couldn't even do that. That was like a slap in the face big time...I dont know if I'm really set for scratch spriting if I cant even do a ball with wings and a beak...I know practice makes perfect but still. (I just major vented)
    don't be discouraged, wings are one of the hardest things to sprite well so it would have been a major surprise your first time doing it to nail it. My advice is to scratch simple stuff. So I would stay away from leaves/fire/wings/rock first until you get better and then tackling them will help. Although, make sure your outline is perfect before you start coloring and shading. Because while color and shading can make imperfections not so noticeable a perfect outline will make it look really well.

Also maybe to practice shading and stuff take a sprite and get rid of everything but the outline, that way you can see how it looks and then try to color it.

Administrator

Yes, by all means STAY AWAY FROM FIRE. It's tempting but probably one of the hardest things to do properly spriting.

I didn't find wings as hard though. Probably because most of my first scratch sprites were dragons, but still.. (Dragon wings are easier than bird wings.)

Administrator

Man that is actually an awesome sprite but I'd like to see what IB can come up with since it isn't a scratch.

Thats what she said

you think if a pixel over won in a poll (though I highly doubt that) could actually become the latest sprite? I'll be very surprised.
    This is the pokemon that gave me the slap in the face

doesn't it look so easy??? and for some it would be. Though I dont wanna get off topic of Kraklaw...sorry.

Administrator

Can someone explain what a pixel over is, exactly? Noob zeroality knows nothing about spriting.

Thats what she said

A pixel over is a sprite made from the art itself. You open the art, make a copy and resize the copy. The resize distorts the copy, so you have to redo the coloring, linings and shading, though the shape keeps in balance. According to the Dragonfly helping guide, it is a spriting art in its own since the spriter did most all the work. I dont believe that is nessesary true, I think the spriter should give credit to the person who did the original art. Yah, thats what a pixel over is.

Administrator

Pixel-overs generally aren't considered "real" sprites by most, since most of the work is cut out for you already and it's not really art. There's skill involved and it's (I believe) the absolute best way to start spriting, but it's not art since there's no real creativity on the part of the spriter. It's just great for learning technique.

Pixel-overs can be used for spriting though: some spriters *cough* sketch up things and then pixel-over them *cough* and these in my *cough* point of view, are basically scratches since they were entirely built from scratch by one person.

Which brings me to the point that as great as your pixel-over was, Quinn, I kind of wish you hadn't done it. There's no way I can actually top that with a scratch, and anything I do will look at least somewhat inferior since I'm not a pro like Novoni and Lost Binary. Oh well, I'll try my best.

As for that bird, it's certainly not too difficult to sprite (very simple shapes, not too much complex stuff and best of all no pointy things) but finding a different pose for it would be really hard.

Thats what she said

sorry about that....That being said, still try. I dont wanna ruin your oportunity to have your name next to a custom sprite that YOU made. If we have a vote, should my pixel over get "trashed"?

Administrator

It really depends on our policy with sprites.

Acanthite has a strict no concept art pixel-overs for sprites policy.

Topaz has never really made a decision on it. If we do the same, then regardless your sprite would have to be trashed or used for userbars/buttons etc. but if we don't there's a good chance your pixel-over might make it with some edits (there are a couple of problems with it, some of the lines aren't as smooth as they could be)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

IMO, as long as it is not identical with the concept art, it's fine. Some tentacles shifted positions or something.

But we should also get oykawoo's permission to use his concept art is sprite form, since it is basically an edit of his work.

Administrator

If we decide to use the pixel-over sprite, I will ask but I'm sure he won't care.

Thats what she said

Though it would be cool to have a sprite I made become official, I think IB, you should still finish yours. I feel kinda bad. Though, when you do finish it, I was noticing with your outline, you still need the big bump thing on his claw.

Administrator

Yeah, I'll try to finish it still. The only two things preventing me right now are burnout from finishing it then losing it (blackouts suck) and time. When I have time and feel like it, I'll finish it. Don't worry.

Administrator

Just to clarify, I'm gonna go ahead and side with IB on this. If we allow one pixel-over into Topaz then we'll have to allow them all. Pokemon should be scratch sprited only.

I can use that sprite as artwork somewhere on the site along with the original, once IB finishes up the real sprite.

Honestly, I prefer the current sprite, and the current design. Don't see so much why it warrants changing >_>

....not liking the new art, either; rubs me the wrong way same as Acanthite's Qwilfish and Seaking evolutions. There's just something....off about it, can't place what it is....
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Administrator

Well, the current sprite is too small, at the very least. At 63 x 63... it's dwarfed by many Pokemon much smaller than it. The eye is also quite un-Pokemon-like.

But of course, people can always vote against having a new sprite at all. But there is good reason to revamp Kraklaw.

Thats what she said

I hope we change it to this style...whatever ones go with this style get my vote. I really like some of the acanthite evolutions. Quillfish's is kinda different though I think it is cool. Seaking's is murder ass, and Atrosy, the evil chansey, that was is just funny (I tired to create a scratch sprite again with atrosy, though I falied again!)

Thats what she said

little change to it.

+ Reply to Thread