+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Topaz "Odd Couple" or Odd Duo

Thats what she said

Default Topaz "Odd Couple" or Odd Duo

I was making yet another trainer thingy, and I though this one could work. I didn't finish the guy, though take a guess what he will be? Heres a hint, they are an "odd" couple right? Then they normally wouldn't be seen together. You first have to know what the girl is though.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Secret Agent

I think it is very good.

what happened to the angel and devul couple

Thats what she said

it is right here. I thought I put it up yesterday, but I guess I forgot

The only thing I didn't scratch sprite was the wings (and the trainer, though I changed their faces). For 1, I dont know how to do wings, and 2, I thought they would look cool being huge and all

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

With improvement those could be a Benengil / Malduval Cosplayer Couple. Just work on attaching the wings more naturally and differentiating it from the original sprites. Sometimes the Pokeballs seem a little tacked on, so remember that you don't necessarily need one.

Thats what she said

hows this?
    I also messes with the dude. I separated the horns a pixel length (which is actually noticable), I gave him a better hand holding his fake tail, and I gave him some skin. Since he doesn't really have a tail, I made it look more like pants.

awesome!

Administrator

I still think more needs to be done. The faces are a bit hard to see, and I feel it'd be better if the arms had different positions. As they are they don't seem quite right and they are too easily recognizable from the original.

Thats what she said

the pokeball ones I could edit, but not the one that holds his tail, or the one behind the girl. I'll also work with faces. That being said, I've got lots of work for a day or 2, so it might take a day more than usual. (maybe)

Thats what she said

I totally forgot about this. "gotta love the effects of stress" :P

Administrator

I like the concept and they would be good if you fixed what was stated. Have you tried looking at spriting tutorials? You might learn some things to help streamline the process and make editing more efficient.

Thats what she said

I've read one, and I've learned alot from it. Thats how I made shinies and trainer splices. I just cant find one though that could help me with what I'm missing. I know mine look a tad different from the real stuff, and I just dont know what though. I also need to find one that can help me with my scratch spriting issue.

Thats what she said

hey zero? would you by chance know any spriting tutorials? I've read the cave of the dragonflies one, but I can't find any "strong visual" type. I learn mostly from visual, and all I could find on youtube was splicing. Also, I've worked a bit more with the house with the time I've gotten. Still not done yet though.

Administrator

Cave of Dragonflies is the one spriting guide I moderately respect. At least he offers some nice tips on how to keep your curves and shading working. I'd suggest that you keep doing pixel-overs. Try finding art by Sugimori, and pixel-overing it. It teaches you a lot about outlines and shading.

Thats what she said

alright. Also, is there any videos? (Not to get off topic of the odd couple)

Thats what she said

Latest Topaz Odd couple

Administrator

Sorry, what did you change?

Thats what she said

the horn on his head, his hand and a hit of shading.

Administrator

I really think you need to be bolder in your changes. What was your reasoning for making the changes you did? The horn looks no better or worse, I see why you'd shade the hand but you didn't really address what was wrong with the hand in the first place. Let me be a little clearer about the changes I feel are necessary, that way you'll have something more solid to work on:

1. I think the arms need to be entirely redone. A new pose most of all, into more flowing, natural positions that aren't borrowed from the canon sprites.
    2. Flatten out all the colours. For each entire section just use one colour. Then redo all the shading. Currently, it isn't clear where the light source is.
    3. Scrap the tail and find a new position. I like your idea of him holding the tail, but it's not working out. The tail is jagged and isn't falling naturally.
    4. Lighten up the guy's hair, find a new style for the girl. There's nothing wrong with the girl's hair, but that sprite's hair is already being used for the Teacher sprite so it might be a little odd to have multiple trainers with that kind of hair.
    5. Work on making the angelic rings more round.

Please don't take this too harshly, I'm only saying all of this because the trainers have potential. It's just that it needs work, and so far there hasn't really been enough change between your latest and your second.

Thats what she said

I might annoy you a bit wit this question, but maybe could you help me with this?

Administrator

I'll probably be inspired to if you attempt to implement the changes I've requested first.

Thats what she said

alright, I just gotta remember them all...

Thats what she said

I'm gonna wait till at least the end of this "hell-of-a-week" to do that stuff.

Thats what she said

I FREAKIN LOVES THIS CHICKS HAIR NOW!!! (Looks very familiar)

by the way, I flipped her, so she is now looking toward the people still, but facing the dude, which I think he still needs a tail.
    Not to get too much off topic of the trainer itself, but IB, I was looking at your cool-trainer yesterday, and actually, (the contributor might give some possible advice to an admin) you might wanna change his head a bit. It seems a bit flat head. Give a bit more round to it, and it should be solid, but it kinda looks smooshed.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-09-10 at 04:54 PM.

Administrator

Forget all this contributor / admin stuff. There should be no reason to hold back on any constructive criticism. That old sprite is old, and I'm thinking of just scrapping it anyway since it's instantly recognizable to be an edit of the police/guard guy from D/P. (I showed it around a few other sites such as Pokecomjmunity, and they all got it within a few minutes). My heads have always been pretty bad (see criticism for basically every trainer sprite I made but Hip Hopper (which was a spliced Tuber Girl head edit anyway) and Willow)

The girl looks LOADS better. Her left leg (our right) doesn't seem to fit in quite right but she's a major improvement. The Malduval guy looks a little better, not as big an improvement. I don't think the fire on his foot is really necessary, it seems kind of random. I guess I could try to help edit it a little if I get the time.

Thats what she said

little quick change to the leg.

and finally a preview.

Uber Blob

I think it looks better with a tail.
    Also, the shading looks a little off.

Please help her grow.

Thats what she said

yah, this is on hold right now. I gotta get that youngster done for the demo.

+ Reply to Thread