+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Returning Pokemon: Sprites

Thats what she said

yah. But isn't this a fan game?
    *Surprised you said that, with the voting style you wanted to do.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

aut vincere aut mori

Yes, this is a fan game. But there are other fan games too. Just look around on pokecommunity or something, and you'll see projects similar to this one. Ours stands out because of our well done sprites and such, but we have to keep a professional image if we want people to pay more attention to our game. Using the most up to date canon sprites is the best way to stay as professional as possible, which is why I support zero's administrative decision.

Thats what she said

alright, I know I can't do anything against it, so I'll shut up now.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

It isn't that it's not a good idea. It just isn't worth it to go through this process. Also, random Platinum sprites will just throw everything off.

For continuity's sake, it's also the best option.

Thats what she said

I actually think most platinum sprites were better. If anything, we should have stuck with them, with of course the tauros exception.
    Also, I dont know if my eyes deceived me, but it looks like platinum's entei in 5th gen.

aut vincere aut mori

That's just a placeholder. They don't have an animated 5th gen sprite yet, so they used the platinum entei to show off the Zororark event. Anyway, I don't think this is needs to be discussed more. Admin decision > all.

Administrator

I hope the impression that admin decision > all doesn't last. Topaz is by and large a democratic process and I have done my utmost to make everything based off of community voting, which is why I put this up here in the first place. I agree that some times the line has to be laid down to stop bickering and such, and that some times we do stuff behind the scenes, but I don't want any of the non staff/contributors to feel like they can't do anything.

What I don't understand is what Quinn means by there being 2 frames. If he means male and female then we'd be using both anyway. HGSS Jolt does look pretty awful, I must admit.

aut vincere aut mori

He's talking about the sprite animation. The 2nd frame is the one that is actually shown most of the time, so I say we use all those.

Thats what she said

I'm still for my Mix and match, and I'm not changing my mind bout that. Though I'm only a "new" contributor and dont have much power, I'm still for that. Not that that really matters though...

Administrator

Deleted my previous post because I changed my mind. After more carefully reading rp's suggestion on how to do it, I think that's the best way to go about it.

IB is right about the fact that we've always been democratic about nearly every aspect of Topaz. The method that rp suggested won't take nearly as long as individual polls, so let's go for it - if that's ok with you IB?

(Let's wait for IB to give his approval before we do anything.)

Thats what she said

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    He's talking about the sprite animation. The 2nd frame is the one that is actually shown most of the time, so I say we use all those.
    Just as a quick statement, it is the 1st that is the main sprite. The one after the animation is done. The second IS the animation.
    Example : 1st frame 2nd frame:

aut vincere aut mori

Oh, okay. I just assumed that 2nd was the resting pose.

Administrator

Taking a voting tally, ignoring all votes for 3 because we simply don't have the time or manpower to do it,

Option 2: II
    Option 4: IIII

6 votes isn't really very much, especially since I didn't count zero's vote and if both he and I vote option 2 then it's a tie. Since this is a pretty big issue, could we have some more votes?

Thats what she said

whats the options?

RPG Administrator

I say we do option 4. If not, could you at least replace the Jolteon Sprite? The HG/SS one it terrible.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Thats what she said

I'm guessing option 4 is a bit of mix? If so, thats my vote. (that should be kinda obvious though, after the time I used toward it. {Only RP, IB, and Zero know that number...} )

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'm pretty sure my vote has been counted, but I vote 2 just to clarify.

Better Than That Guy

^Same here

Thats what she said

If the professional look wins, I still suggest going with platinum.
    Though I've think I've made myself obvious I'm for the mix & match one.

We should do 1 & 2. If we do 3 & 4, It might take longer and the real new game will come out and we'll have to deal with that

Thats what she said

If the mix and match one wins, I'm ready. I "re"finished getting ready. thats only if so though.

aut vincere aut mori

I guess I'll clarify my vote if it's not obvious.

I'm voting for 2 for two reason. 1) I like the idea of consistency and professionalism within the game. 2) No matter what mix we do of sprites if we go that route, there will ALWAYS be people who won't like some of our sprite choices. Whether it's "hey why did you use the D/P Growlithe?" or "hey, you guys used HG/SS Jolteon! That sprite sucks!" we will never make everyone happy. So we may as well be uniform since not everyone will approve of our decisions anyway.

Thats what she said

DP sprites wouldn't even be up for consideration. 1, they are too old, and 2, it would have been just more time. I do see your point too, but yah, in all the generations, there are sprites that are messed up, like HGSS's rhyhorn line.
    Randomly, I was B-Sing last night, doin animations, and platinums 2nd frame eevee was AWESOME with chloreon. I was actually really surprised.

aut vincere aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    you posted twice, just so ya know. Also, DP sprites wouldn't even be up for consideration. 1, they are too old, and 2, it would have been just more time. I do see your point too, but yah, in all the generations, there are sprites that are messed up, like HGSS's rhyhorn line.
    Randomly, I was B-Sing last night, doin animations, and platinums 2nd frame eevee was AWESOME with chloreon. I was actually really surprised.
    Lies, my second post was an optical illusion. Also, I know D/P isn't up, it's just an example, plus not every sprite got a Platinum upgrade, so we'll have to use some D/P if we go with Plat. With the thing about how some sprites are bad in every gen, that kind of works into my earlier point. Not everyone is gonna be happy no matter what. Nyte doesn't like HG/SS Jolteon, you don't like HG/SS Rhyhorn. I happen to like HG/SS Scyther and Rhyhorn, while brother actually like Jolteon somehow, which I know a lot of people hate, so those will probably end up Plat if we vote. See how you can't please everyone? Everyone will probably be in the minority in at least one sprite.

RPG Administrator

I'm really starting to see what you mean, RP. If anything, i would just use the Platinum ones, since all of them were fine, i believe.

aut vincere aut mori

I'd also like to throw out that for later patches, we would have to decide for every returner which sprite we want to use, further delaying the process.

Thats what she said

kinda goes with your stuff, we'll piss people off with whatever choise we choose, so we sould go with one....but if we are gonna piss some off no-matter what, shouldn't we use the ones that we like. The "perfect" ones?
    As an edit...
    with the style that you created, with my quick twist, I could get it done in a week. Also, the twist allows both sides choose. If your like me, and you want mix and match, you vote for those, but if your like you (RP) and want one sprite sheet, you just post that in there and thats that. The thing is though, we are killing time as we speak. Those 6 weeks will go by fast, and if we dont use them efficiantly, we wont have a summer demo. While the voting is going on, Badara could be coding something else. And thats just 1 week, then I get the winners all packaged with a pretty ribbon, and send em off. There will be multi tasking going on. While he's coding something, we get the next stuff ready. Sitting around isn't gonna put us forward. If I can get the access, Our style should work fast and easy. Its ready whenever ya'll are. Its on my computer, all I need to do is copy and paste it. (I've even got my ballad done) It doesn't take too long to do either.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-10-10 at 08:50 PM.

aut vincere aut mori

I think you are taking my reasoning out of context. Going with all from one group is better by going with the theory that someone will always be miffed because we will at least keep the professional image. Better to have one than niether.

Thats what she said

well simply said, yet again I saw, I dont wanna get on your badside. We each have our opinions and I know neither of us are changing that. Yet again I say (from my edit) that the voting style twist actually goes for both sides. You want one sheet, you go for one sheet, you want mix, you go for it. I would send you the file, but my connection sucks right now.

aut vincere aut mori

Meh, w/e. Niether of us are going to change our minds and we will not move forward either way until a clear decision is made, so let's wait for others to weigh in.

Thats what she said

my point exactly.

Administrator

From what I see the vote is even more even than before. From what I can tell Platinum sprites draw a lot less controversy than HG/SS, for what it's worth.

aut vincere aut mori

I could go for Platinum. As long as they are all the same I'm fine with it.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    I could go for Platinum. As long as they are all the same I'm fine with it.
    Yes.

RPG Administrator

I think i suggested this earlier. Anyway, Platinum sprites for the win.

Thats what she said

I will admit, though, yet again, not the biggest fan of some platinums, I'm for that. THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'M NOT FOR MIX AND MATCH. But if the formality style wins...that should be the sheet. Though, just wondering....if we even do choose that...which frame?
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5770/platinumframe1.png
    http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/735/platinumframe2.png
    I'm for frame 2.
    This all being said. I'm only saying this if the formal look wins. I AM STILL FOR MIX AND MATCH.
    (If the formal is confirmed, there might be some possible recolors though, like stantler, and mareep.)

Better Than That Guy

I'm for frame #2 as well, professional and as-original-as-can-be

aut vincere aut mori

I'm for frame 1 personally. You guys can see with the charizard up top that the second frame is the animation, so frame one is the resting pose that is mostly seen. The second frame isn't very good for some of them since they were ment to only be displayed for a short time. Zangoose is a prime example, as it covers its face during the second frame.

Better Than That Guy

So there's one or two (literally, i can only count 2) errors with the faces, still easy to fix and a cheap price for originality and (i refuse to say professionalism now) Authenticism

Administrator

I'm for using Platinum sprites. I think Frame 1 is the better choice since some of the poses are a little awkward in Frame 2 and aren't really suited to be used as static sprites. They're only shown for a few seconds, and are designed that way.

+ Reply to Thread