+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The situation with Orange Islands

Administrator

Default The situation with Orange Islands

In Orange Islands, there were a few things that didn't mesh with Caldera/Kirant. Orange Islands had accepted the 4th gen, and had several Pokemon that were somewhat similar to ours. As such, there will possibly be some changes to keep the universe smooth and tight. However, it needs the approval of the Topaz community first! These are the changes proposed (not to Topaz itself! Just for the region of Caldera/Kirant on the Orange Islands):

1) The timeline on the OI will be earlier than Topaz, and thus the trainer needs not have been friends since childhood with Bradley or Simon, and there's no Vincent. Also, while Rocket and Orion will be present, they will not be the main storyline drivers, as on Topaz.

2) Since Leafeon is present on OI, it doesn't make sense to have Chloreon present too. The suggestion was to change Chloreon's sprite on the Orange Islands to this:

Rename it Petalynx as a single-stage Grass-type Pokemon, tweak it's base stats ever so slightly and give it new Egg Moves. It was felt that those who wanted Chloreon in wanted it in for the Pokemon itself, and this seems like the best course of action.

3) It was suggested that Phantern should be renamed Pumpaunt on the Orange Islands, to avoid conflict with their own Phantern. Pumpaunt was Phantern's original name anyway, according to Novoni.

4) Duval and Engil would be scrapped, and Malduval and Benengil would be simply forme changes to the already present Emblare and Luminost. There would perhaps be a small edit since Malduval and Emblare are really basically just the same Pokemon.

5) Moocalf would be scrapped since OI already has Miltrit which is basically the same thing.

6) All Topazmons would be revamped with 4th gen and OI movesets.

7) That's it.

So what do you think? Are these changes acceptable?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

1) That works for me.
    2) As above, but do we really need to tweak anything? It just seems like extra work.
    3) That seems like the best course of action
    4) Fine.
    5) Again, as above.
    6) I don't think we have a lot of choice.

aut vincere aut mori

Cool with me, just a couple questions.

Would Malduval and Benengil be regional evolutions like Kudang and Terrang? Also, is number 6 going to be done here or on OI?

RPG Administrator

OI only, RP, and they all sound good to me...
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    Also, is number 6 going to be done here or on OI?
    One of our guys (shadow_rukario) said he's willing to do it, and it just seems like unnecessary wok for you guys, so we'd probably end up doing it.

aut vincere aut mori

Can anyone help with it on OI?

Administrator

It seems that the people on OI are willing to do the 4th gen revamp work, but I don't think it's really been decided how it's going to be done in full. I'm sure there could be an arrangement to have a little Topaz representation advising the process, but it's not really a responsibility the Topaz community has to bear since it only affects OI. I do believe though that some of us know the Topazmon better than they do, and would know what fits a little better due to our work on their entries, flavour, and whatnot. It's all up to choice in the end.

aut vincere aut mori

Maybe I'll pm SR on OI about it. I'd like to help out in that regard.

the changes seem fine to me. though.... do they have a second evolution of absol? i like the one here a ton and i don't want it to go...
    Wait... Wut?

uh-ohs

They will have both absogno and abyssuss i think. They fill different roles since abyssuss is a weather lead.

Better Than That Guy

I'm fine with everything, except Chloreon. I wanted that full-of-win sprite to be this ganes Chloreon tbh.

uh-ohs

chloreon will still be in the actual game.

RPG Administrator

Abyssus will be a region based evo, like Malduval, and Benegil...basically a different evo, from the same pokemon...i think...something close to that...But one thing is for sure, Abyssus will be in OI...
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

aut vincere aut mori

Abyssuss will still evolve by twilight crest, while Absogno evolves from the abyss. XTS asked this question a few months ago, but what if you evolve an absol with a twilight crest while in the abyss of lost dreams?

Administrator

You get Abyssus, as you didn't level up in the Abyss of Lost Dreams, you simply used an item and Absol evolved.

Administrator

I don't see Absogno on the site?

Not your grandma's nerd

After reading what was said, am I correct in assuming that Topaz and OI are parallel RPG's in the making? I hope I have the time to participate in everything that's changing.

aut vincere aut mori

No, Orange Islands is a large text rpg.

Thats what she said

Most sounds fine to me...except one thing. With Moocalf, I personally dont think it should be removed, but that is just my thing... Also, is orange islands a download or an online game? for example if I downloaded it and put it on a computer without internet, would it still play or not?

aut vincere aut mori

No, it's not actually a video game. Look around the site and see if you want.

1) This'd be kind of obvious, I'd guess, seeing as many of the rpg characters have their own background plot developments....
    2) If Chloreon isn't going to be in as Chloreon, there really shouldn't be a reason for it to be in at all. it'd just be a source of confusion for newbies making the shift from OI to Topaz or vice versa....either use it as Chloreon, or don't use it at all.
    3) Pumpaunt's a better name, to be honest....
    4) They're intentionally different concepts; Luminost and Emblare were created to stray from the 'angel/devil' thing, and I think the differences are big enough to not bother with it.
    5) Yes. End discussion.
    6) I don't see that it's really all that necessary, but if this ends up happening I'm your guy....provided school doesn't get in the way.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Administrator

2) I don't think Chloreon will be as much as a confusion as you think. If it is, and support forums flood with newbie questions of "Wer is Chlorion!? GAWD!" then I think that'd be the best time to consider that.

4) I was talking to the mods and while they felt Luminost and Lumik were different enough, Embli and Emblare seemed almost like exact copies, considering typing and concept. So they wanted Malduval to be a "forme", and so it wouldn't make sense to have Engil, Benengil, then a Malduval forme, so Benengil was given the status as well.

6) OI's willing to take the responsibility with some Topaz input, so the work would be shared. Also, since it wouldn't have to go through a full community review I think the process would be a lot faster.

ragingprimeape and myself have started revamping, so if you want to help you can start by PMing me revamps on OI. I'll make my comments on them then I'll (eventually) show them to the rest of the staff for comments.

+ Reply to Thread