+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gym Suggestions.

the Dragon Master

it can still be talked about we haven't settled on how it'll look just yet...
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Spriter and Gym designer

Why do the exteriors have to be different? Can't they all be the same like in the original games? Also, I would like to help for the design of the interior. I wouldn't use regular tile sets, it would just be a very basic map of the gym, but with puzzle elements mixed into it. I don't think we have to worry about Froy's gym in the way of puzzle elements, because it seems to be a pattern that the first gym never has any kind of puzzle elements, just a straight path to the leader with a couple trainers, sometimes with another path to avoid said trainers. It's the other eleven gyms where puzzles may need to be thought of. Someone else suggested a trivia sort of thing for Softwind, which makes sense. The grass gym could have pitfalls that send you down to the basement where trainers lurk. Ice gym could be freezing and melting ice. I'll try to make something for the first couple of gyms, just because I want something to do.

Eighty More Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    Why do the exteriors have to be different? Can't they all be the same like in the original games? Also, I would like to help for the design of the interior. I wouldn't use regular tile sets, it would just be a very basic map of the gym, but with puzzle elements mixed into it. I don't think we have to worry about Froy's gym in the way of puzzle elements, because it seems to be a pattern that the first gym never has any kind of puzzle elements, just a straight path to the leader with a couple trainers, sometimes with another path to avoid said trainers. It's the other eleven gyms where puzzles may need to be thought of. Someone else suggested a trivia sort of thing for Softwind, which makes sense. The grass gym could have pitfalls that send you down to the basement where trainers lurk. Ice gym could be freezing and melting ice. I'll try to make something for the first couple of gyms, just because I want something to do.
    Could I help, as in the idea for the puzzley aspects of the gym? I have an idea for Soft Wind

Spriter and Gym designer

Aw, crap! My gym isn't accepted by the album because it's so big. I have it done, I just need to go resize it.

Edit: Just resized it and the album still wont accept it! Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 01-22-11 at 03:45 PM.

Split it up into smaller pieces, maybe fourths or eights or something, and save each one separately. Then just post the images here and arrange them in the shape of the gym as a whole.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

Spriter and Gym designer

That sounds kind of tedious, but it might be the only way... Okay, I'll try that.

Edit: It worked! Here it is. I hope it doesn't confuse people

White space= Player can step here
    Grey space= Something occupies this space
    Yellow space = Entrance/Exit
    A= Gym Trainer (facing east)
    B= Gym Trainer (facing west)
    C= Gym Trainer (facing south)
    D= Froy (facing south)
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 01-22-11 at 06:41 PM.

Eighty More Posts

i can never see your pics cuz you dont use image shack!!!!

stuff

He doesn't HAVE to use ImageShack. A lot of us do, but not everyone does.

Spriter and Gym designer

Really? You'd think you'd be able to see pictures that are in my album on my Topaz account... You can't see any of my pictures?
    Also, finished Softwind.

Blue space: Player can stand here
    Yellow space: Entrance/exit
    Grey space: Wall (on the lower part with the space and N in it, it's a counter)
    Brown space: Bookshelf, player cannot stand here
    Peach space: Table, player cannot stand here
    Red space: Entrance to a small rectangular room containing Therma (no obstacles in said room)
    A: Non-fiction book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading about a famous person in the Pokemon world
    B: Fantasy book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading of a fictional story that could never happen, even in the Pokemon world.
    C: History book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading of history of the Pokemon World (not Arceus, because he's fourth gen)
    D: Sci-Fi book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading from a fictional futuristic story.
    E: Fairy tale book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading of Pokemon-ified version of classic fairy tale.
    F: Biology book. Can be read by the player. Contains reading of information of the biology of a Pokemon.
    G: Gym trainer. Faces east
    H: Gym trainer. Faces east
    I: Gym trainer. Faces east
    J: Gym trainer. Faces west
    K: Gym trainer. Faces west
    L: Gym trainer. Faces east
    M: This person blocks the way to Therma. Answer his/her questions about books A-F and he/she will step aside
    N: Librarian. Maybe he/she tells you about advantages/disadvantages of flying Pokemon.

Eighty More Posts

i can see some...

aut vincere aut mori

I really like Softwind's layout.

Administrator

Softwind's layout is aesthetically very pleasing but I'm worried that some people mind find the puzzle a little too boring?

Maybe if we just made the info really interesting it'd work out fine. Also, you might want to make sure more of the tiles allow you to read the books because sometimes trainers could walk up in front of the books and block them off, which would be really annoying.

I'm actually really game for making things up about the Topaz world, it's one of my favourite parts of the creation process. So I'll try to come up with something.

Spriter and Gym designer

I was thinking that the trainers wouldn't approach you until they you're right in front of the book.

Administrator

Just for programming's sake, it's easier to place one event on two tiles than for the programmer to have to check every time he places a trainer for changes to their line of sight.

Spriter and Gym designer

What do you mean by placing an event on two tiles? How about they just go back to where they were when you finish battling? Would that work?

Administrator

That would take even longer. To get text to show when you press a button on a certain tile, you have to put something called an event on that tile which calls up the text. It's easy just to copy and paste one event on to more than one tile. It's a two-second fix that's way simpler than anything else.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    Why do the exteriors have to be different?
    They don't, its just something we'd do for fun if we had the time.

I also like your idea for Softwind. Maybe, for the trainers, we could have them pacing around the bookcases while you are looking for the books? It might be difficult to progran, I don't know if moving trainers would work in RPGMXP.

Spriter and Gym designer

Better?

Anyways, what should the other gyms have for puzzles?
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 01-23-11 at 10:03 PM.

Administrator

It doesn't really make sense for you to be able to read a book from both sides of a bookshelf.

There was an ideas for gym puzzles thread somewhere, though I don't remember where.

Spriter and Gym designer

It's not a bookshelf, the brown spaces are bookshelves, the peach spaces are tables that the books are on.

Eighty More Posts

i can't even see it...

Spriter and Gym designer

Sorry, I can't help you.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by mefan3 View Post
    i can't even see it...
    Use Chrome, or Safari (which you should have if you own an iPod).

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Firefox also works.

Wouldn't it be possible to avoid all of the trainers when you use this set-up?

Spriter and Gym designer

Yes, I guess it would allow trainers to avoid the trainers, but you can do that in previous gyms, especially earlier ones, and almost always the first one. Oh, and I've tried Portwind.

Brown space: Wall. Player can not stand here.
    White space: Empty space. Player can stand here.
    Yellow space: Entrance/Exit.
    Light grey triangle: Mirror that reflects light. Can be moved with the move Strength. Is reset to its original position if player leaves and re-enters the gym.
    Dark grey triangle: Mirror that reflects light. Can not be moved with Strength.
    Blue space: Glass. Light can travel through here. Mirrors can not be pushed through here, nor can the player stand here.
    A: Produces beam of light that travels east when B is stepped on. Light can go through glass and be reflected off of mirrors.
    B: Switch that causes A to produce a beam of light.
    C: Switch that activates when light is directed at its eastern side. Once activated, E will disappear.
    D: Trainer. Faces east. Will only battle player if he/she is one space ahead of him. All trainers do this.
    E: Gate. Disappears/retracts when C is activated.
    F: Switch that activates when light is directed at its eastern side. Once activated, H will disappear.
    G: Trainer. Faces east.
    H: Gate. Disappears/retracts when F is activated.
    I: Switch that activates when light is directed at its western side. Once activated, J will disappear.
    J: Gate. Disappears/retracts when I is activated.
    K: Warps trainer to L when stepped on.
    L: When trainer steps on K, they appear here.
    M: Trainer. Faces north.
    N: Warps trainer to O when stepped on.
    O: When trainer steps on N, they appear here.
    P: Trainer. Faces east.
    Q: Switch that activates when light is directed at its eastern side. Once activated, T will disappear.
    R: Warps trainer to S when stepped on.
    S: When trainer steps on R, they appear here.
    T: Gate. Disappears/retracts when Q is activated.
    U: Tristan.

Is it okay?

Spriter and Gym designer

Main gym:

Extra room:

Light blue space: Bridge. Player can stand on and under here.
    Yellow space: Bridge. Player can stand on, but not under here.
    Grey space: Wall. Player can not stand here.
    Blue space: Part of a tower. Blocks players above and below light blue bridges.
    Purple space: Box. It is placed on top of a light blue space, so players can pass under it, as doing so is passing under the bridge as well. Players can not stand here if he/she is on the bridge.
    Green space: Box. It is place on top of a yellow space, so players may not pass under it. Players on the bridge may not stand here.
    Red space: Entrance/exit.
    A: There is a gate that takes up the spaces NORTH of these ones. Alternatively, this is fire. Player may not pass through gate/fire.
    B: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space west of C.
    C: Door. If player goes through it, places player on floor one space south of B.
    D: Trainer. Switches between facing west and north every three seconds.
    E: Trainer. Switches between facing west and south every three seconds.
    F: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space north of G.
    G: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space east of F.
    H: Trainer. Switches between facing east and west every three seconds.
    I: Trainer. Switches between facing west and north every three seconds.
    J: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space east of K.
    K: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space south of J.
    L: Trainer. Switches between facing south and east every three seconds.
    M: Trainer. Switches between facing east and north every three seconds.
    N: Door. If player goes through it, places player in the extra room one space east of P.
    O: Wolfe.
    P: Door. If player goes through it, places player on the bridge one space west of N.
    Q: Princess. If any of the trainers see her, they will battle you like normal, if they haven't already, and then take her back to the extra room. The trainers won't care if they see you, unless they haven't battled you yet. She will somehow get the gate lowered so you can fight Wolfe. Alternatively, this is a suit of armour. If a trainer sees you wearing it, they will take it away from you. They won't care if they see you without it. It allows you to get through fire. (Make sure you've read all of A to fully understand this)

I'd like some feedback, at least telling me if this could possibly be used, or if it would be too hard to program. I would also like some feedback for Portwind gym.

P.S. Sorry about having such a looooong post. :P

Spriter and Gym designer

Kalypso is all about music, right? Would it be okay for the gym to be mainly about drums?

Spriter and Gym designer

I've got Aquapolis done.

Yellow space: Entrance/exit.
    A: Annoying guy. When the player first enters the gym, he automatically talks to you and says "Go and speak to everyone in this gym and find out which one of them is a liar. This gym specializes in the Dark type, which is weak to Light and Fighting, but is unaffected by Psychic and Ghost types."
    B: Trainer. Says "C tells the truth." when spoken to.
    C: Trainer. Says "I can not see the gym leader from here, no matter which direction I face." when spoken to.
    D: Trainer. Says "The people next to me tell the truth." when spoken to.
    E: Trainer. Says "B tells the truth." when spoken to.
    F: Trainer. Says "The gym leader is in this room, but is disguised." when spoken to.
    G: Trainer. Says "Either I or E is lying. I'm not sure which one, but I know that one or the other is lying." when spoken to.
    H: Trainer. Says "There are two liars, not just one, and D is n ot one of them." when spoken to.
    I: Trainer. Says "Either G or H is lying. I'm not sure which one, but I know that one or the other is lying." when spoken to
    All trainers and the annoying guy face south.

The answers are in the spoilers in case anyone wants to figure it out.

If the person is telling the truth and you accuse them of being a liar, you have to fight them.

Okay, I admit it, I got help in making the clues.

aut vincere aut mori

That's an awesome puzzle idea though. I always liked those liar puzzles.

Secret Agent

Sounds good!

Spriter and Gym designer

What order are the gyms supposed to be visited in and what HM is enabled from each badge? Also, what are the names of the badges?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

H says that there are two liars. Isn't there only one?

But I like everything you've put up. Great job!

Spriter and Gym designer

I swear, uploading these is almost as hard as making them. This is Roothaven. Also, my albums are starting to get full, so unless someone could suggest something, I'm going to have to create a new account just for uploading more images.

Floor B2

Floor B1

Floor 1

Floor 2

Floor 3

Floor 4

Green space: Stairwell/ladder. If the player steps here, they go to the red space directly above them.
    Red space: Stairwell/ladder. If the player steps here, they go to the green space directly below them.
    A: Trainer. Faces north.
    B: Trainer. Faces south.
    C: Trainer. Faces north.
    D: Trainer. Faces east.
    E: Trainer. Faces south.
    F: Somehow, I skipped right to G. Fail.
    G: Trainer. Faces east.
    H: Trainer. Faces north.
    I: Trainer. Faces north.
    J: Trainer. Faces west.
    K: Trainer. Faces south.
    L: Fernando.
    M: Trainer. Faces north or west

I doubt that all those trainers are going to be there. Also, I just realized that there is a green space that leads somewhere with no red space. Pretend there is a red space right in the center of B1.

Edit: I made another gym. I'm glad it's so small, otherwise I probably couldn't upload it. This one is Kalypso.

A: Red drum. Can be hit by the player.
    B: Blue drum. Can be hit by the player.
    C: Yellow drum. Can be hit by the player.
    D: Green drum. Can be hit by the player.
    E: Purple drum. Can be hit by the player.
    F: Black drum. Can be hit by the player.
    G: Trainer. Faces south.
    H: Trainer. Faces north.
    I: Trainer. Faces south.
    J: Trainer. Faces north
    K: Jane.
    L: Wooden stand with paper on it. If read by the player, it shows a red quarter note, a blue quarter note, and another red quarter note.
    M: Wooden stand with paper on it. If read by the player, it shows a blue quarter note, a red quarter note, and yellow quarter note. All the quarter notes are backwards.
    N: Wooden stand with paper on it. If read by the player, it says "A, B, C..."
    O: Wooden stand with paper on it. If read by the player, it says "Pikachu, Magikarp, Spidream, Cacnea, Embear."
    P: Wooden stand with paper on it. If read by the player, it says "A, B, C. Zubat, Psyduck, Murkrow, Whispaw, Ekans."
    Q: Gate. Will retract once the drums are hit in the following order: Red, blue, red.
    U: Gate. Will retract once the drums are hit in the following order: Yellow, red, blue.
    S: Gate. Will retract once the drums are hit in the following order: Blue, green, red, yellow.
    T: Gate. Will retract once the drums are hit in the following order: Yellow, red, purple, green, red.
    U: Gate. Will retract once the drums are hit in the following order: Purple, black, yellow, red, blue.
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 01-31-11 at 03:42 PM.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    H says that there are two liars. Isn't there only one?
    Did you or did you not read the spoilers?

Administrator

These seem pretty cool. I don't recall there every having been a mirror sprite or such so it'd have to be made, but that doesn't seem too difficult.

Spriter and Gym designer

I think I did something wrong when making the clues for Aquapolis. Here is the corrected version:

A: Annoying guy. When the player first enters the gym, he automatically talks to you and says "Go and speak to everyone in this gym and find out
    which one of them is a liar. This gym specializes in the Dark type, which is weak to Light and Fighting, but is unaffected by Psychic and Ghost types."
    B: Trainer. Says "I tells the truth." when spoken to.
    C: Trainer. Says "I am unable to see the gym leader from here, no matter which direction I face." when spoken to.
    D: Trainer. Says "The people next to me tell the truth." when spoken to.
    E: Trainer. Says "B tells the truth." when spoken to.
    F: Trainer. Says "The gym leader is in this room, but is disguised." when spoken to.
    G: Trainer. Says "Either B or I is lying. I'm not sure which one, but I know that one or the other is lying." when spoken to.
    H: Trainer. Says "There are two liars, not just one, and D is not one of them." when spoken to.
    I: Trainer. Says "Either G or H is lying. I'm not sure which one, but I know that one or the other is lying." when spoken to
    All trainers and the annoying guy face south.

Spriter and Gym designer

This is Skobeloff gym. If anyone has any suggestions for other gyms or how I can improve the current gyms, I'd be willing to listen.

Light blue space: Ice. When player steps here, they slide in the direction they were facing until they hit a wall, object, or white space.
    Yellow space: Entrance/Exit.
    A: Hole. If player presses J, the hole gets filled with clumps of ice and can be walked across.
    B: Hole. If player presses C, the hole gets filled with clumps of ice and can be walked across.
    C: Switch. Drops clumps of ice on B and H.
    D: Hole. If player presses M, the hole gets filled with clumps of ice and can be walked across.
    E: Hole. If player presses G, the hole gets filled with clumps of ice and can be walked across.
    F: If player presses G, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    G: Switch. Drops clumps of ice on F, E, and P.
    H: If player presses C, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    I: Ledge. Only allows the player to go west over it.
    J: Switch. Drops clumps of ice on K and A.
    K: If player presses J, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    L: If player presses M, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    M: Switch. Drops clumps of ice on N, L, and D.
    N: If player presses M, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    O: Ice clumps that block the path of the player.
    P: If player presses G, this space gets blocked with clumps of ice and can no longer be walked across.
    Q: Trainer. Faces west. Will not go onto the ice.
    R: Trainer. Faces west. Will not go onto the ice.
    S: Trainer. Faces west. Will not go onto the ice.
    T: Trainer. Faces east. Will not go onto the ice.
    U: Christina.
    V: Ledge. Only allows the player to go south over it.

Administrator

Seems good, though of course it'd have to be tested first because it's hard to figure out a puzzle without actually playing it out.

Thats what she said

that one you gotta think about, the liar one...ITS INSANELY awesome if what I hear is true bout the annoying guy...yet seems kinda tough for a more dumb based audience as of like myself. Not sayin it needs to be a cakewalk, just sayin maybe easier ish.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

In reality, the guy just says "go talk to all the other people". Even if you can't logic it out, when you go back he'll likely reveal himself/herself to be Layla.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    ― Douglas Adams

"Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!" - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread