+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Gym Suggestions.

Administrator

I like the liar idea as a concept, since it relates so well to the "evil" side of Dark-type moves rather than just the "lack of light" that doesn't embody most of them. As XTS said, since guessing wrong means you just have to fight the trainer, eventually you'll be led to Layla in the end. People might need the experience anyway and fight everyone else first since Layla's Pokemon are pretty high-leveled.

Spriter and Gym designer

I played through Skobeloff gym by moving my cursor along the path and changing the colour of letters as I "press" the switches. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get stuck, but if someone sees a way, please tell me. As for Aquapolis, I'd like to have battling trainers be an option so that if you're not good at this kind of thing, you can battle the trainers. But it's so much more satisfying to figure it out. Were you able to figure it out, did you just look at the concept of it being a liar puzzle, or did you look at the spoilers?

Administrator

I'll just spoiler tag everything in response:

Spriter and Gym designer

I also have an edit for one of the clues:

C now says "I can not see the gym leader from here, no matter which way I face, but the people I could see (B and E) are truth tellers.

Administrator

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong clues, but I've still put my thought process regarding the change below. Changing C is irrelevant, as shown in the spoiler.

Spriter and Gym designer

Administrator

Spriter and Gym designer

Administrator

Spriter and Gym designer

Also, are my other gyms good enough to be in the game, or do they need tweaking? Or should they be ditched entirely?

aut vincere aut mori

I really hope this liar one gets in, at any rate.

Administrator

No, I like all the gym designs, though many of them I'd like to actually get to playtest before handing a final verdict, since it's really hard to tell with some of them without actually mucking about in game. I wouldn't be paying as much attention to the liar one if I didn't like it, myself.

Spriter and Gym designer

Administrator

I think it shouldn't be too hard to program a "Accuse as liar" button as being "S" or something. Otherwise, seems fine.

Secret Agent

We don't even really need to get the demo out to playtest the gyms. Someone just needs to build the maps and place the events.

Administrator

That doesn't mean they don't have to be playtested. There's a lot that you can catch by playing out the gyms that you wouldn't be able to easily when just figuring out the puzzles in your head.

Spriter and Gym designer

My friend says that the liar puzzle is too much of a copy of Legend of Zelda (to be specific, Phantom Hourglass). I disagree. Does anyone else agree with my friend?

RPG Administrator

I've played Phantom Hourglass, before. Didn't like it too much. And anyway, I don't remember there being any kind of speech based puzzles.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    That doesn't mean they don't have to be playtested. There's a lot that you can catch by playing out the gyms that you wouldn't be able to easily when just figuring out the puzzles in your head.
    No, I'm just saying that if anyone has RPG Maker XP they could just make a playtest of only the gyms, so we could potentially test them before the demo. I'm potentially getting it next weekend (the 19th), so if no one else does, I could put something together.

Also, Tyrranigon; sure the idea isn't completely origional, but I personally like it. Also, tell your friend that if he/she wants to have a say in Topaz's gyms, then he/she should join Topaz him/herself.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    I've played Phantom Hourglass, before. Didn't like it too much. And anyway, I don't remember there being any kind of speech based puzzles.
    How far did you get? Did you get to the ice island (or whatever it's called) with the Anoukis? This is the puzzle: The chief of the Anoukis says that one of the other six Anoukis is lying (and is not lying himself). He wants you to find out who it is. I found the clues online.

FoFo says Gumo is honest.
    Kumu says Mazo or Aroo is lying.
    Dobo says Mazo is honest.
    Gumo says Fofo or Aroo is lying.
    Aroo says Kumu is lying.
    Mazo says that he and Dobo are honest.

aut vincere aut mori

Yeah, I've finished phantom hourglass multiple times, so i know that puzzle pretty well. In all honesty though, LOZ is not the first to use the concept, that type of puzzle has been around for decades. It's never been in a pokemon game though, so I think we should use it.

RPG Administrator

I've beaten the whole game once. Probably just didn't remember that part well. As i said, I didn't like the game all that much, so i guess it didn't stick as well in my memory. Other games, like OOT and MM, were fun, and I remember them quite well. I love them so....

the Dragon Master

I own PH and i remember that part it was 6 people which was interesting.. As to the liar test, yes it's been done plenty of times before, i remember having to do tons of it in school for a while, nearly drove me insane cause i couldnt get it right for years.... (i finally did when i played PH though)
    From what i've played of the Pokemon series no i dont think that they've ever done this anywhere in there so it would be great to have this in the game especially when dealing with the gym leader.

Unfortunately there's a slight problem with this particular puzzle. People who don't want to go through the trouble of finding the leader will by-pass identifying the 2 liars and just battle everyone in there until they've found the gym leader.
    I actually remember when i went through the 5th gym in Diamond that i solved the problems but i forgot to go back and battle the trainers so i was in some major trouble as my pokes weren't leveled up from it, it bit me in the butt when i fought the E4 but i managed to get through alive.
    I just think that something else should be set up in the gym so that you would have to (more or less) fight everyone even if you did figure out the solution.
    I believe Wake's gym from PDP, and a few from RSE could also be solved without ever going through trainers.
    (I'm not saying remove all alternative paths but make it so that one isn't clearly identifiable.)

Thought just occurred to me: in RSE there's a gym where it's dark inside and you would have to go through it blind till you found the leader, But if you've been through it several times you could just go visit him if without ever fighting the trainers. So how exactly would we try to make it harder for people to find the easy-to-follow alt. path once discovered?
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Spriter and Gym designer

I think the trainer should have a choice as to whether or not he or she wants to battle trainers.
    After you figure out the puzzle, (but before you actually challenge Layla) you can talk to the trainers. They will say "You already found Layla, so it doesn't matter whether or not I was lying. Or did you want to battle me? (show options "Yes" and "No")" I think that would work. It's better than Fuchsia gym in HG/SS (the gym where everyone is dressed as the leader and there were invisible walls). I remember once I was trying to fight everyone in the gym, but I accidentally challenged the real Janine thinking it was a fake Janine (I'm pretty sure that was her name).

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    After you figure out the puzzle, (but before you actually challenge Layla) you can talk to the trainers. They will say "You already found Layla, so it doesn't matter whether or not I was lying. Or did you want to battle me? (show options "Yes" and "No")"
    YES. Also, I think it would be hilarious if, once you battle Layla, the back room opens up and you find that they trapped the real annoying guy back there. Then he quickly goes over types and stuff.

Spriter and Gym designer

I agree, that would be hilarious.

RPG Administrator

ol, nice! Sounds like a plan!

the Dragon Master

lmao, epic
    i didnt mean to actually prevent the players from actually being forced into fighting them i just meant that something could be set up to allow an alternative path that wouldn't be quickly identified. Some of the other gyms do that iirc... (unfortunately i forget which ones did that)
    yes i think the annoying guy should be trapped in the back room, change up the game a little...

Spriter and Gym designer

I think this is a unique idea, but it might not work/be programmable. This is Gallea, BTW.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''

White space: Empty space. Player can stand here.
    Brown space: Wall. Player can not stand here.
    Arrows: Spinner tiles. Forces player to go in the direction of the arrow until player touches a white space.
    Grey space: Darkness. Player can not stand here unless a Darkproof potion has been applied to a party Pokemon. If destroyed by a Pokemon that has had an Anti-Dark potion applied to it, player may stand here no matter what.
    Red space: Fire. Player can not stand here unless a Fireproof potion has been applied to a party Pokemon. If destroyed by a Pokmeon that has had an Anti-Flame potion applied to it, player may stand here no matter what.
    Dark red space: Dark fire. Player can not stand here unless a Fireproof-D potion has been applied to a party Pokemon. If destroyed by a Pokemon that has had an Anti-Flame-D potion applied to it, player may stand here no matter what.
    Light blue space: Obstacle (not sure what). Player may not stand here. Can not be destroyed.
    Dark blue space: Obstacle (same as above). Has exact same properties as light blue spaces, but looks the same as darkness. If attacked by a Pokemon that has had an Anti-Dark potion applied to it, this space will look the exact same as light blue space, with same properties.

A: Cauldron. Can make Fireproof potions by default.
    B: Switch. When stepped on, allows cauldron to make Darkproof potions.
    C: Switch. When stepped on, allows cauldron to make Anti-Flame potions.
    D: Switch. When stepped on, allows cauldron to make Anti-Dark potions.
    E: Switch. When stepped on, allows cauldron to make Fireproof-D potions.
    F: Switch. When stepped on, allows cauldron to make Anti-Flame-D potions.
    G: Bella.

List of Potions used
    Fireproof: Obtained by using SURF on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may travel across three tiles of fire. May only be applied to Pokemon with SURF. Does not change battle properties of SURF. Can be sold for $10.
    Darkproof: Obtained by using FLASH on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may travel across three tiles of darkness. May only be applied to Pokemon with FLASH. Does not change battle properties of FLASH. Can be sold for $10.
    Anti-Flame: Obtained by using CUT and SURF on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may get rid of three tiles of fire. May only be applied to Pokemon with CUT or SURF. Does not change battle properties of CUT or SURF. Can be sold for $10.
    Anti-Dark: Obtained by using CUT and FLASH on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may get rid of three tiles of darkness. May only be applied to Pokemon with CUT or FLASH. Does not change battle propertiees of CUT or FLASH. Can be sold for $10.
    Fireproof-D: Obtained by using SURF and FLASH on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may travel across three tiles of dark fire. May only be applied to Pokemon with SURF or FLASH. Does not change battle properties of SURF or FLASH. Can be sold for $10.
    Anti-Flame-D: Obtained by using CUT, SURF, and FLASH on the cauldron and extracting the potion. If applied to a Pokemon, player may get rid of three tiles of dark fire. May only be applied to Pokemon with CUT, SURF, or FLASH. Does not change battle properties of CUT, SURF, or FLASH. Can be sold for $10.

aut vincere aut mori

That seems... complicated. I haven't read it word for word yet though.

Spriter and Gym designer

I got RPG Maker XP!!!! I'm trying to make a playtest of Skobeloff to get the hang of it. So far, I find it really easy. I'm having trouble making ledges though (I mean when they only let the player go one way). Does anyone have it who can help me?

Secret Agent

Do you have Poccil's Essentials?

Spriter and Gym designer

That's called Pokemon Essentials, right? I got that with the move animator. I guess I should be using these tiles instead of the tiles that come with the RPG Maker :P

Administrator

I think there are too many restrictions to do with the potions. You could easily make it work still if you let the FIREPROOF potion be applied on non-Surf Pokemon, what would the real difference be? You still used SURF on the cauldron. Just cut down on the unnecessary complicated bits.

As for ledges, have you tried making an object on the same level as the player (so it cannot be walked on) that if you press the right arrow key teleports you to the right of the ledge?

Spriter and Gym designer

How do I do that?

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    That's called Pokemon Essentials, right? I got that with the move animator. I guess I should be using these tiles instead of the tiles that come with the RPG Maker :P
    Yes.

And teleport is an event thing, under move player.

Spriter and Gym designer

That's not the part that I wanted to know, it's how I make that only happen when he's facing one direction. Also, that's not a problem anymore, there are ledges that come with the Pokemon Essentials that don't need any events to work.

Administrator

Okay then, but it would have worked both ways anyway, at least for testing purposes. If you were on the left, you would jump to the right. You couldn't be on the top or bottom since there's just more ledge there, and if you're coming in from the right you would just stay on the same tile since that's the one you're teleporting to.

the Dragon Master

theres a move command in there for moving the character or other event, it lets u tell the event to jump, another thing is there is a directional control where u edit the tileset, i forget what it's labeled but it lets you determine whether the player can go through it in a certain direction.
    as for setting it up for the character to jump when facing a specific direction (ignoring the other thing i mentioned) there's a button in there called conditional branch that u put in the event, and it will activate if the key pressed or player facing, etc. is matching. It also comes with an option to turn on/off the else handler.
    Conditional branches are called If Then statements, very easy to work with (unless of course you want to add more that one option for doing anything)

Spriter and Gym designer

I get the ledges now, I don't need any more help, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread