+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Project: 30 Back Sprites

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Default Summer Project: 30 Back Sprites

Yes. New thread, new mission.

52 Pokemon are without back sprites. My project for this summer is to take as big a bite out of that number as I can. I won't have a lot of time this summer as I would like since I'll be working (potentially full-time :S) so all of this will have to get done on... Sunday.

My goal is to produce 30 sprites. Not necessarily official ones, but ones that are good enough to be placeholders or works in progress that will only require a few edits (that others can do hopefully) to become acceptable as official. I can't be specific with which 30, since I'm probably going to do whatever I feel like doing on that particular day.

Criticism and comments are appreciated as always, but I can't promise that I'll be working too much on the sprites I've posted so that I can focus on creation, which is harder for me then the edits. I must ask that other people refrain from posting their own sprites in this topic. I've been lax with it in the past, but this is MY project, so I'd like if it stays just my work. ^.^

To get myself started, here are 5:

5/30 (reduced to 1/6 of the way there. This might be too easy.)

Thats what she said

looking pretty good. The only one that seems off to me is Skalloy. The amount of body seems better though.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

Skalloy actually looks pretty good, even though off. I like the direction you've taken it even if the right hand feathers are a bit shaky and the neck seems stilted off of the body.

Destado, if I'm not mistaken, is loads better than before. It really looks like it has body now. Congratulations on pulling off something that difficult.

Duval is pretty close. The shading is a little off but most of the shapes are correct. I don't think the dithering is quite working, if you notice from official sprites, dithering is usually kind of like a "bite" out of the shade, it doesn't protrude into the light like in yours. Also the shading seems a bit too bordered, like there's a thick solid line (stroke effect, if you will) around the outlines. It looks pretty easy to fix.

Malduval's pretty good but it seems a little to small compared to Duval. The execution of the arms, especially the left one, seems not to to be working, it kind of reminds me of an Elite Beat Agent that's leaning forward. I would suggest to move down the left arm, not physically but the angle should be more flat.

Brontogon should look fine from a technical stand point but something doesn't quite sit with me. It seems like it's the jaggedness of the outline but I don't see how you would fix that. I'll take a closer look sometime.

Vicious cycle

Skalloy: The wings seem a bit small (or the head is a bit large), and I'm not entirely liking the whole red body thing although I guess it could work.

Destado: This looks fine. Great job.

Duval: Basically what IB said. Fix the shading and it'll be fine.

Malduval: Again, like IB mentioned, it's a bit too small compared to Duval. You should extend its right arm, it looks short (or alternatively shorten then left arm).

Brontogon: Neck seems a tad too long. Also, it'd be nice if you included a bit more of its body as well.

Administrator

The problem with including more of Brontogon's body is that we'd have to cut the size of the neck and then it won't match the front sprite. I don't see how it can be done.

All other relevant issues have already been pointed out. I'm glad to see you working on this Reli! Nobody else seems to really want to take the initiative on backsprites.

Thats what she said

lol, I would, but I've got stuff on my plate right now...and I am horrid with scratches.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

8/30

Secret Agent

Those look GREAT!
    Although Chloreon's head seems a little too round.

Administrator

Very good starts on each of these, though there are some quality issues, mainly to do with curves, which tend to be too jagged. The main shapes are very well formed.

Vicious cycle

Only one that I have concerns about is Abyssus. it looks too round and pudgy compared to the front sprite.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

The head is far too big for the rest of the sprite, which causes it to look "pudgy." It needs a smaller crop as well so that it can all fit properly. ...I think I'll have to re-do that one, but at least there's something if someone wants to try and edit it properly.

Also, the green things on Kondria's head. Are they just continuations of the purple or are they things (leaves, tentacles) growing out of the back of his head? My outline is done, but I'd prefer not to do it wrong the first time.

Thats what she said

I would try to edit it, but lately, I'm just really tired, and depressed, so I'm afraid it would show on my work.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'm too lazy to transparentize it, since my Photoshop is temporarily out of service.
    9/30

I'm purposely not doing ones that look easy (like Phantasomo and Atlaxa) so that people not so confident in their abilities can try them out. Also, for emphasis and so I can finish it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    the green things on Kondria's head. Are they just continuations of the purple or are they things (leaves, tentacles) growing out of the back of his head?

Vicious cycle

I think they're leaf-shaped scales that grow out around the back of his head.

Khaphix looks alright. Are the lines purposely crooked, to give it a more "worn-out" look?

Thats what she said

I might actually try one of those sometime. Phanto or atlaxa. (though it would look probably like hell twistered it up)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

...sure. That's exactly what I was going for. ^.^;

"We nicknamed her Bean"

12/30

I've been losing more time because of work than I thought. My calculations say that I have to do one every three days in order to finish, which would mean I would have to do 6 each weekend. Which is possible, but will be difficult. Anyway, I'm pretty proud of Serberine, since I believe it to be the second hardest one left.

Thats what she said

Serberine looks HOT! Great job! Mallarge's neck seems a bit off, but other than that...I see no issue with him either. Kondria, with the leaves. and yet again...that seems it. LOOKING GOOD!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

16/30
    Passed halfway.

Vicious cycle

Kondria: Not particularly fond of the way you did the scales on its head. They should be larger and pointing backwards, forming a sort of crest. I was sort of imagining Weavile as a reference:

Mallarge: This looks good.

Serberine: This is fine for the most part, but I feel some of the outline is too jagged. Also, it'd be nice to show one of them baring its teeth, if that's not too much to ask for...

Caribrisk: Snout doesn't have the right shape, it should be longer and less pointy. Antlers are too small compared to its head, and lack depth (the right antler should be larger because it's closer).

Mirust: I like it! Body (the metal part below its head) should be less tapered and a bit longer.

Ferrian: Love what you did with the shield. However, right now it looks like the shield is stuck to its body, so it needs to be further "out" if you get what I'm saying. The arm with the lance is at a weird angle, you should probably try lowering it a bit.

Leoracle: This is...probably my least favorite of yours so far. All of the red crystal parts should be made larger. The mane looks like a bunch of chili peppers. It just doesn't give off that majestic feel that the front sprite does.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

19/30

I very much fear that I won't finish. 11 in the next 30 days while working full time... I hope that I can somehow pull it together.

Administrator

Engil looks like it could be awesome given some editing. The others need more work but are great starts. Good luck!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'm not sure if I'm going to do any actual work today, but I figured you might be interested to see:

my work file, with all of the sprites that lack back-sprites at this moment. It may seem more or less huge a task based on what you were thinking originally, but this IS a much smaller task than what it was when I began. I STILL am leaving some "easy" ones in hopes that someone will step up to the plate. *cough*Phantosomo*cough*

"We nicknamed her Bean"

23/30

I'd like to load a couple of these onto the repository. Even though barely any of these sprites are completely done, I'd like the page to be more reflective of what has been done instead of being half-finished. Destado and Mallarge are going to go up, since no one seems to have any issue with them, but are there any others that are good enough to be placeholders until the editing process begins?

EDIT: Also, how certain is the switch to the new Kraklaw sprite? I don't want to do a back of the old one if it isn't going to be used, especially since the new concept has a kick-ass one already.
    Last edited by Reliability; 08-15-10 at 04:59 PM.

Secret Agent

Frostorm is AWESOME!

Administrator

The new Kraklaw is going to be used, due to mostly positive response.

So, I'm going to list out the ones I don't feel are quite ready to be placeholders yet, since most of your work is good enough:
    Malduval
    Brontogon (very debatable, since I don't know how to improve it)
    Serberine (for now, I think it'd be confused with Chiarame. Which isn't too far off but the problem is there)
    Caribrisk (also debatable, but I'd like to take a better look at Stantler first before making any judgment)
    Leoracle
    Vilephist (Not entirely sure on this, but there's something about how the head fits together that's bothering me)

Also, Reli, how do you edit the repository stuff? When I log on it says "content pending" or something.

I think Vilephist looks a bit strange

"We nicknamed her Bean"

24/30

Ya, it isn't very good. I had an epic Chiarame too, but since I wasn't used to the Windows 7 Paint, I saved something over top of it by accident. But I know that what I did will work. It's just a matter of spending the 45 minutes to re-do it...

Administrator

That does suck, Reliability. For Unicrown, I'm thinking that it's not facing the enemy Pokemon. Could you make it look forwards? I know that it won't sync up with the front sprite but it looks strange.

Also,

Are all finalized, I made some tiny, tiny edits to Smallard and Engil, but they were only really small outline things that looked slightly shaky. Great job, Reliability!

DIE ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm.... i tried to do an Illumbra back sprite....... its not very good....this has been like the seventh time i've ever sprited so PLEASE EDIT.............and give me advice.
    Attached Images

"We nicknamed her Bean"

OMG LOVE! You are my new favorite member of all time!!! NEVER LEAVE ME! <3

It isn't great, but you've got good "bones" there (I'm very sorry, I couldn't help myself). I might have mad the bones a bit wider, since he looks a litttle wiry. It probably only needs a couple pixels extra on a few of them. Your outlines are also a little rigid in some areas and the vertebrae outlines are a little crooked. Shading in some parts isn't quite congurent from where the light should be coming from (the top left) and because it's bone, I probably wouldn't have used dithering so much. and the staff should only extend to where the body disapears.
    But considering that you chose to do one of the hardest ones left, I admire you for that. I would encourage you to try and continue with it. Or, at least, try some easier ones first and come back to Illumbra once you've gotten a little more experience.

BUT PLEASE KEEP GOING!!!!

DIE ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol thanks for all the advice! i'll keep going. i actually just decided to go with illumbra because its my favorite. i think i'll try phantasomo next (looks alot easier).

DIE ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phantasomo: done.
    Attached Images

not to sound rude...is it just me or is it a mirror with edits?
    thanx for the avi, Quinn. (although not sure if you know or not)

DIE ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh it is..........i actually didn't realize i was doing it until about halfway though.........

DIE ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok......ive been reallt bored tonight so i did Atlaxa.........its pretty sucky.....feel free to edit....
    Attached Images

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Ya, Phantsomo's arms aren't realy in the right place, but Altaxa is in the same boat as Illumbra: workable, but not there yet. Are you sure you want me to edit them, or do you want to try it yourself?

Administrator

Revamped the Phantosomo one. It had potential. I wish I could have made it bigger than it is but the hands get in the way. If we had one on the scale of Mallarge only the head would show.

Also, hobo, glad you`re trying out spriting!

*likes phantosomo now

Maybe a 3rd person could do this. I suck at that stuff though.
    thanx for the avi, Quinn. (although not sure if you know or not)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by totodileman View Post
    Maybe a 3rd person could do this.
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by totodileman View Post
    I suck at that stuff though.
    NO!

Nobody sucks enough that it can't be helped along. I wasn't very good when I started out all those years ago, but I've improved. All you need is a little persistence, a goal and some good criticism. You can find the latter two things here.

+ Reply to Thread