+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn's maps.

Thats what she said

Default Quinn's maps.

Me and an Admin were talking, and I was actually going to become one of the new mappers. That stopped once I couldn't get a working RPG maker. (2003 has horrible amount of Tile limitation, and XP has too big of a resolution for my notebook)
    That being said, I found a way to make "general maps" in Photoshop, with grids.
    When/If we see a returning mapper, or maybe a new one, they can just use these as their guides.
    So, now that shinies are starting to rally down, my next projects are going to mostly be trainers, these maps, and hopefully move animations. (excludes urgent stuff, like the overworlds)

Last, not too important. I dont know about how some of the tree's and the path grass (the short, everywhere grass, not the tall, pokemon grass) work. I know how in the games the trees are the same with the cities/ routes by it, and the path grass is random. I know that, this is just a map, there will be some little errors. Errors that will be fixed once they are created in RPG maker.

So, I'll probably produce a map or 2 every other day, so here's my 1st. Changes can be made.
    (VERY BIG IMAGE)
    http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1391/route205.png
    Now here's my lecture on the route.
    House either contains no-one (spooky-ish), or just some random person.
    You can battle at the least, 2 trainers, and at the most 4-5.
    Trainers appear at the beginning of the fork (near the tree side), 2 in the lower part, and the last near the end of the route, right by the 2 grass patches, in that area cut in the trees.

This route is known for the 4 Big trees that have been growing in the center for many years.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-23-10 at 05:29 PM.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Secret Agent

I like it! Maybe have that psychic trainer in the house?

Thats what she said

Maybe, kinda mixed about that, since its still an earlier route, so it shouldn't have too much to it. (No hills either). That could possibly work, though if so, other "possesed ones" would be around other places as well.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Better Than That Guy

Waaay to plain.

Better Than That Guy

Damn edit time ran out.
    Okay, I tried to make it less dull.

Administrator

Ooh, I'm liking BTG's edit. It's clean and elegantly done, with natural lines and enough natural variance. Quinn's original attempt wasn't nearly as bad as other attempts I've seen either. A cool idea could be to line the roadside with flowers (scattered, not lines full) to add a bit more colour.

Vicious cycle

Alright, I just realized that nobody posted my original Quick Walkthrough anywhere on these forums. While it did contain now-obsolete plot, it also had short descriptions for the terrain and layout of all the routes/caves/cities. Should I go ahead and post it on the staff forums?

aut vincere aut mori

Oh yeah, that thing was pretty helpful.

Thats what she said

BTG....you read my MIND EXACTLY. I had those exact trees in my edit, that house in my edit. The only change that I didn't have was the smaller trees. THAT ROCKS! Glad to see that I might have a partner on this!

Yet again, all up in the air, but here is a possible route 206. Up in the air for edits.
    I'm gonna start posting in spoilers as well

If anyone, is up for this as well, here is the map. It helps LOADS
    "I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the maaappp!"

2nd.....prelude
    I hope this doesn't piss people off, but here is what the current before maps are. This also helps alot

3rd. This is my beginning of route 207

4th. I'm scared to do route 212...the spooky route. One thing I dont get about it though, is its in the shadow's of Dynamo Gardens, which is the entire region away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Route 212: This route is one of perpetual night, lots of dark Pokemon and ghost Pokemon, and the majority of the Mt. Frost Sanctuary (Secret Room) sidequest will be here (quest for Mirust). It's in the shadow of the Dynamo Gardens, and should probably be very spooky.
    5th. I thought we had Frost town and Collossus City. It will be fun to make them, especially how Saint Nick's in Frost, and Collossus is HUGE with all of those giant tiles! EEEKKK

6th. Like I said earlier, when these are created in RPG Maker, there might be some slight issues. Maybe a pixel or 2 off stuff. Maybe a missused tile. Whatever the case, these are only the base of the routes/cities.

7th. I'm scared to DEATH of caves. Idk if I should even venture into that.
    Last edited by zeroality; 06-27-10 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added in closing /quote tag

Thats what she said

Damn, I forgot 2 add this....where is the sand tile? I cant find it for the life of me.

Better Than That Guy

Route 218 (note the Bioshock refrence):

Thats what she said

I like it, except the lighthouse. I've never been a fan of that small one though. As request, could you replace that one with either the bigger one, or just sand?
    I also like how it goes backwards as well with the diving area. U might wanna make that as well.
    I dont know Bioshock by the way. Except the freaky dude in a submarine suit and the trippy chick.

by chance, if your up for doing mapping with me, message me. Lets get something going.

Better Than That Guy

Anyone done Route 201?

Better Than That Guy

No? Good.

Vicious cycle

201, as in, the first route? Done a long time ago by Fangking, check Quinn's post.

Also, nice bioshock reference, I chuckled. Although Route 218 is a square route (but we might end up changing it, too much water in Topaz anyways).

Better Than That Guy

Hang on then and it'll be route 206.
    I still say mine's better.

Better Than That Guy

K done, C&C.

Thats what she said

Route 206 is the entrance to a mountain. Like mine, it should Go up alot more than 2 levels...sorry. That being said, save that one you were going to have for route 201, I saw the perfect place for it, though I can't remember right now. (I can't believe it...I forgot to put grass in my route 206.)

Too much water? It might be just that I'm a water lover, but I think it is a perfect amount.

I hit a bump in my route 207 design, so It wont be done today. But count on it being done by tommorow...and possible Roost whatever city.

aut vincere aut mori

BTG, that 201 is way too complicated to be the first route, but I bet it wouldn't be too bad later on.

Thats what she said

Neo Bay
    Route 201
    Sunset Village
    Route 202
    Softwind City
    Route 203 (I think this one needs some edits with the entrance. Have a couple burned trees.
    Chartree Forest
    Route 204
    Cranewing City
    Route 205
    Mistvale City
    Route 206 Revamped with grass and doesn't deadlock people into mount mist.
    Route 207 This one DOES deadlock you from going back into Mount Mist

this might seem a bit weird, but I actually based my route 206-7 off of 2 around Pewter-Cerulean City. The mountain entrance route doesn't dead lock people in, so if they need to go back to the Pokecenter, they can. After Mount "moon", you leave and once you jump down that ledge to Cerulean City, theres no turning back. (Like my exit mountain as well). Last where the daycare is, under Cerulean, there are hills with grass. those are like mine with the entrance. Last, with the exit, it also kinda goes with Johto's final mountain route...when you have to make choices on which path to take.

Better Than That Guy

206- plaaaaiiiiinn! Also, I shouldn't be able to go an entire route without walking through at least some grass.
    207- some tile errors
    Last edited by Black Temple Gaurdian; 06-25-10 at 05:17 PM.

Thats what she said

I know there would be a couple tile errors. Anyways...you wanna "fix" em up?

By the way, route 207 should have somewhere around 4-8 trainers.

Last, for RoostHaven, should there be a SUPER HUGE tree tile created?

to the grass thingy...I think there should be possiblilty on SOME. Your gonna need all your energy for mount mist, and once you get out, there is 1 path that doesn't have grass, the people have to think, and be lucky.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-25-10 at 05:32 PM.

Better Than That Guy

Okay, I spruced up route 206.

Vicious cycle

Alright, a few mistakes both of you are making. Take a look at this map:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/medi...aultCanyon.png

Notice that the only ground tiles you can walk on are the grass and dirt tiles. The rocky tiles, i.e. the ones currently used for Route 206/207, are all supposed to be inaccessible areas.

Second, normal "wall" tiles and "ledge" tiles (the ones you can jump off of) are not compatible. I see some mistakes on Route 207. And make sure there is NOTHING at the bottom of the ledge tiles, you're supposed to be able to jump off and land on the ground. I also think that you're going overboard with the ledges. They're great when properly placed, but too much and the player will find them to be a nuisance.

Lastly, don't be too hasty to add trainers. That's really a job for the programmer, although you can help by making some nooks and crannies for them to hide.

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by neon.Barnacle View Post
    Alright, a few mistakes both of you are making. Take a look at this map:

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/medi...aultCanyon.png

Notice that the only ground tiles you can walk on are the grass and dirt tiles. The rocky tiles, i.e. the ones currently used for Route 206/207, are all supposed to be inaccessible areas.
    i recommend looking at sapphire's route 111 as an example. you can clearly walk, fight and even bike on them.

Vicious cycle

Except that is RSE's tileset. The one we're using is FRLG. It looks a lot nicer too.

Thats what she said

I can't find that "dirt" tile. The grass, of course. But, I can't find that sand/dirt stuff. (I still think the rock is a better look.) Yet again, for Roosthaven, it says there is a BIG tree in the city, so should I put one in there? (create a supersized tree)

Better Than That Guy

Except that is RSE's tileset. The one we're using is FRLG. It looks a lot nicer too.
    It's exactly the same tile in both :/

Thats what she said

what he means is that in R/S/E is you can "walk" on the rock, but in FRLG, you have that dirt/grass path at all times.
    For example, look at the Mt Fall/Meteor in RSE, and look at that one that NB posted.

Vicious cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian 750 View Post
    It's exactly the same tile in both :/
    Uh, no it's not. Take a closer look.

Thats what she said

come on! I need an answer here, should I make a giant tree or not? If your wondering why I'm even asking this, look at the "Topaz Map" phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemontopaz.net
    Roothaven is built among the roots of an enormous tree, which provides food for its carefree citizens. It is a spiritual gathering spot where people come to admire and appreciate nature. The Labyrinth present allows trainers to have fun solving puzzles and competing with others for rewards. A tunnel is currently being built in the south to connect Roothaven and Saharan City, but it doesn’t seem like it will be done any time soon.
    also, what about this labyrinth? Is it like a different area, like a cave (so I dont have 2 do it)?

aut vincere aut mori

The labyrinth is a puzzle type thing that the player goes through multiple times from what I remember, kind of like the Trick House. IB knows for sure though.

Thats what she said

okay...so should there be an exit to it? Or a house? or what?

still wondering about the "tree of life"

Vicious cycle

Battle Labyrinth was part of the whole Battle Frontier thing we had going on (in addition to the seven buildings found in Emerald's Battle Frontier, the Labyrinth was supposed to be the 8th and featured double-battles). While I was project leader I kind of gave up on this idea, since its implementation would be too time-consuming.

I've actually attempted to map Roothaven once before. My plan was to design custom tiles to represent tree roots, so the entire city is literally built on the roots of a huge tree. Here's what I have to show for it, I didn't like where it was heading so I gave up on it and never spoke of it again. Hope you get the basic idea of what I was going for.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...avensample.png

Thats what she said

although I'm not the biggest fan of the roots, do you mind when I make it, if I could use your Labrynth entrance?

so should I see about a giant tree? Or maybe even a huge trunk?

what are the caves for? I see 2

Vicious cycle

Yeah, the root tiles suck majorly. I'm pretty sure they were a good part of the reason I gave up.

You shouldn't rely too much on the descriptions on the Topaz site, they're really outdated. Right now I'm not even sure if Battle Labyrinth will make it into the game. Personally I'm for scrapping it and the other Frontier buildings.

A giant tree would be nice but I'm not sure how well that would work in the Pokemon overworld. If you have the spriting capabilities then by all means feel free to try.

Thats what she said

Yeah, the root tiles suck majorly. I'm pretty sure they were a good part of the reason I gave up.
    They aren't bad, they just dont look like "tree roots". The look kinda like a slippery mountain.

You shouldn't rely too much on the descriptions on the Topaz site, they're really outdated. Right now I'm not even sure if Battle Labyrinth will make it into the game. Personally I'm for scrapping it and the other Frontier buildings.
    alright, though until that thingy of urs is in the staff stuff, its my only "base" As for the Frontier buildings, I actually am opposite to that...I'm all for them...especially the Labyrinth.

A giant tree would be nice but I'm not sure how well that would work in the Pokemon overworld. If you have the spriting capabilities then by all means feel free to try.
    It seems right to have a giant tree. But a simple math equation here. Spriting+Quintin= HELL and sometimes a big mess . Though I could try it.

Vicious cycle

Yeah, I'll get on to posting my quick walkthrough shortly.

I have nothing against the Battle Frontier, but you must realize that we simply do not have enough manpower to recreate them. Hell, it's been what - 7 years already, and Topaz has yet to churn out a working demo. Forget about the Frontier, it's not on our priority list.

Thats what she said

of course I get that. Although I joined not even a year ago, I wanna see, and help this come to life. I'm with you with the part of getting priorities done 1st though. I dont wanna forget them all, just for stuff like our current demo, none are there, and for the 2nd I am hearing of, (to the 5th gym), when people pass by them, they are blocked by gaurds. Once the game is out though, we can have them, and this is "for planning", so we are ready in the future.

Thats what she said

I like BTG's change to Route 206 (except trainer locations, and some patches of grass), but I tried to revamp this a bit to go with its description.
    (as you can tell, I dont care much about boundaries. PS, I changed up the description a bit, so instead of after leaving Mt. Mist, you exit on another part of route 206, you just exit into route 207

I'm going to temporary hold off on maps, for 1. Get a tree tile ready for Roothhaven, and 2. I need more comments to finish the youngster. Youngsters are in earlier routes, and our demo is the early routes.
    If you wanna see my horrible tree look here
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-26-10 at 05:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread