+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Quinn's maps.

Administrator

Glad to see you guys are getting the ball rolling on these, we definitely need maps ready for the demo.

As for the Battle Frontier, let's just put that concept on the back-burner for now. Nobody is sure if it's going to be in the game. A lot of concepts were thought up when Topaz started and some just aren't realistic.

Thats what she said

I thought the demo only goes till beating the 2nd gym? It does right? I am SOOOOO not ready if it goes to the 3rd. (which I'll post a fix edit of Fernando's gym tommorow, along with my map)

So, 1st things 1st...I'm VERY VERY VERY desperate for help with that tree. It looks horrid right now.

2nd. I'm going to post my Roothaven tommorow. (I based a part off of neon's as a thanx for his help)

Today I'm going to give hints on it though...but 1st some quick info. I had to screen shot some tiles off of a couple cities, since our tile sheet doesn't even have FLOWERS! WTF? I had to go on like every 30 minutes to find the tiles I needed...it SUCKED! It took me about 10 hrs (yes, that long) to fully complete it, and although it was tiring, I am VERY VERY proud to say its mine. It isn't complete until it has the Giant Tree at the top right corner, but other than that, unless some edits need to be done, its done (and might I say, it looks GOOD!) I had to create a couple other tiles as well, like a bridge (theres a hint ) and some others. Last, I found a cool looking purple tree on the internet. Same as the fluffy ones on route 205's BTG edit, except it is a purple, pinkish, and it is AWESOME. I couldn't help to use it.

Now heres the hints.

1. I used the base of Mistvale City as my size, although I made it a bit bigger. It is almost the size of Neons in width, but more square in height.

2. I used the idea of 2 Hoenn cities 1 has alot of "life" to it, and another is a quiet town. I took the quiet towns unusually "fuzzier" grass and FRLG-ified it

3. Last, there is 2 levels to the city. Levels can mean alot of things though, from air, to mountain, whatever...I'm not posting until tommorow.

Yet again, although it took around 10 hrs to fully make (about 2 lazy days), I'm REALLY proud of it! It will be a city that I visit over and over again, just for looks. Though I kinda want an attraction in there, like an unfinished gamecorner (finished after 5th badge or so).

PS. talking bout gamecorner, dont scratch the Orange Treecko Bar and Grill Idea. maybe the orange treecko part, but I love the idea of it, with a gamecorner, and a rally thingy to try to win the "orange treecko" (whatever the hell that even is)
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

neon's unaware of this, but currently the site is up to date up to Hollowlog. Or at least it was. The idea was to scrap the Battle Frontier and use the buildings for something else, and yes, the Labyrinth was intended to be a Trick House-style area. But it's still up in the air. The maps are looking really great, guys. There are a few problems (mainly to do with ledges intersecting or roads jumping over ledges when they should stop and start again) but they are clearly a lot better than what I've seen on a lot of other games. Keep it up!

Thats what she said

what do you mean its update to hollowlog? Like infowise or what? (really hopes so, cause is addicted to roothaven)

I was actually gonna post it tonight, but internet sucks right now, so I'll have it up tommorow.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-28-10 at 02:43 AM.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

Yeah, the info is up to date. At least in my head, since I mainly did it myself and announced it on SoTs and no one complained.

Still No MIDI Keyboard

On the town map, there's a bit of a problem I don't think anyone has caught yet: 212 is actually the one before Dynamo Gardens, as IB told me, so it and 211 should be before Dynamo, and replace their current positions with 227 and 228, which I can't seem to find anywhere on the map. Also, Between Olivine and Cianwood should be 240 and 241, not 239 and 240. The latter is if you're going by GSC route numbering, though.

Thats what she said

so, although the map is a bit off, we are probably getting that new one soon. It should probably be updated then. Anyways though, until that update is made, just to keep things in order, just name them as they are in the "un-up-to-date" one. Renames are as easy as typing.

Anyways, hope ya'll know the 2 cities I'm talkin bout, since you will once you see my AWESOME 10 hr city!

Still No MIDI Keyboard

The two Hoenn cities are more than likely Slateport (life, as it's very lively) and and the one north of Mt Chimeny which I can't remember the name of (fuzzy grass has ash in it.)

Thats what she said

Neither, but actually pretty close. Think of life as not just "population", but the earthly life around it. As for the fuzzy grass, it isn't wild pokemon grass, but normal grass with a bit more "fuzzyness" look to it. From Slateport, one of them is (the quickest way) 2 towns away, including itself. As for the other, you took the wrong "up" path.

Secret Agent

That one with treehouses?

Still No MIDI Keyboard

one is Fortree. Treehouses were a dead giveaway. Two towns away from Slateport including Slateport is Mauvile (spelling?).

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    Treehouses were a dead giveaway.
    I said treehouses, not Quinn.

Thats what she said

mauvile is 1 place away, not 2.

You got one, Fortree City. Its full of life, with the trees.

The 2nd if Verdanturf.

Anyways, Here is ROOTHAVEN!

Hope you like. I"m proud of it, and I cant wait to watch it come to life.

Secret Agent

I can't open the spoiler... Nothing happens when I click on it. The same with the tree on the last page...

Thats what she said

its working fine for me?

Secret Agent

What are you using? I'm using IE.

Thats what she said

Firefox.

Secret Agent

Kinda had to cheat (View Source) to see this.

Okay, here's what I've got:
    1.) Boardwalk should NOT go over the Labyrinth, it looks too awesome.
    2.) Whoever came up with the idea for that gym should be given a medal.
    3.) The pokemon center and pokemart seem a little dark.
    4.) The treehouses are a good touch, but they seem to be at the wrong angle (too much front, not enough of the roof) (may be use of RSE in FRLG?).
    5.) Shouldn't there be a giant tree or something? Or is this the wrong city?
    6.) I'd personally like to see more treehouses, after the angle is changed.

Those things said, this might just be one of the best pokemon cities ever.

(Posting this for myself: http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/4...thavencity.png)

Thats what she said

I know that gym is just there for BS. it was already open, so I just threw it in there until we actually get one. My sheet was being weird, so I used it as an alternate.

Pokecenter and Mart are the same "style" as Ecreteak and Violot City.

The treehouses are a rip from RSE.

The tree isn't done yet.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I know that gym is just there for BS. it was already open, so I just threw it in there until we actually get one. My sheet was being weird, so I used it as an alternate.
    I said that it was awesome. Whoever made the origional idea should become president.

And on the treehouses, they actually are fine. I still think that there should be more, though.

Thats what she said

you made the basic idea though. I could see about adding more, I just dont want the place to be cramped. I wanna keep it a calm, not "too" busy look.

Secret Agent

you made the basic idea though.
    I know. Exactly.

I could see about adding more, I just dont want the place to be cramped. I wanna keep it a calm, not "too" busy look.
    That is a good point. But could you at least re-route the walkway around the labyrinth? Also, the black poles holding it up look out-of-place, and most don't actually touch the ground.

Thats what she said

I'll work with it more today...see if I can come up with something.

Vicious cycle

This is your best map yet, Quinn. I especially like the park with pink trees. However, it has some flaws I'd like to point out.

-Pokemon Center should be on the ground for easy access. The Mart should also be on the ground, but that's more debatable.

-Your height perspective with the planks is a bit off. There is also too few walkways to warrant their existence here; honestly, Roothaven is a big enough city that it can do without them. I can see them looking good in Hollowlog.

-For a flora-heavy city, street lamps do not match the atmosphere. Get rid of them.

-Seems like there's too much going on in the middle "belt" of the city, and not enough near the top. We'll probably move buildings around a little bit when we put this into RPGMXP.

-I like your pink trees, but I feel that they should only appear inside the park. Makes them more unique, you know?

-This isn't really a mistake on your part, but the style of the labyrinth does not fit here at all. It's much more suited to be in Saharan City, perhaps as a template to Osiro's gym. If you really want a labyrinth building that badly then it's best to scratch up a new one.

Administrator

Actually Hollowlog is in a big log, so it would actually be harder to implement the walkways there. And I do think they're very well done, adding more levels to the city.

I like it a lot! My imagination told me the whole thing should be built as hanging houses from a big tree, but this is a really excellently done map. I like the park a lot, the trees are great. The streetlights do look out of place, that is true. That labyrinth can serve as a placeholder until we can make a new one, though I always imagined the Labyrinth to be square. Also, one more thing. Abaddon Swamp cleans water and sends it down a river to Roothaven City. So, is it possible that you could add a small lake on the top left-hand corner, with a river going northward?

Vicious cycle

Comment on Hollowlog. I've tried for the longest time to think of a practical way to implement the original concept (basically a city inside a huge fallen tree trunk), but none have worked. We need to change it to something else, which is why I suggested using planks as a theme.

aut vincere aut mori

I have to agree with you. The amount of custom tiles needed for that isn't really viable.

Thats what she said

Hollowlog is kinda scaring me a bit. What I was thinking of for that one though, is have, for the outter routes, the edges of the log, and then inside the city, just have it darker and have wall like boundries that are wood-like.

there isn't anything stopping us from using planks in there as well

*a new roothaven to use Cyndaquil's idea.

still would LOVE some help with the BS tree, but I just put it in there for "knowhow"

I kinda think the pokecenter and mart should stay a bit, higher, since it give people a reason to walk on the bridge. If there isn't anything there except a tree and houses, there wont be a bigger point later.

I could replace the pink trees around the areas other than the park with original green trees. except maybe the lone one by the cave.

I'll get rid of the city lamps, though totally serious, I thought they were more "relaxed" than the others, so I put them in. If we dont need them though, alright.

One more thing. I dont get about where to put the river to go. if its in the upper left, and goes north, there wouldn't be much of it. I kinda dont get it. like maybe a quick marker draw of where it goes would be nice.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-29-10 at 04:47 PM.

Better Than That Guy

THose treehouses CLEARLY weren't designed for those trees.

Vicious cycle

Yeah, see, if you need the Pokemon Center to "give people a reason to walk on the bridge", then the planks are really not worth adding in the first place. Either make them more dominant or let them go and use them as a theme in another city.

Thats what she said

How could I implend it more? I know the Pokecenter and Mart will do alot, I was thinking a move tutor (possibly headbutt) in one of the tree houeses. Another tree house have a more "spiritual" like area. One of the houses contain the girl who gives you the miracle seed. idk what else.

Better Than That Guy

Or you could remove them. It's really not needed.

Thats what she said

I really dont wanna remove them! It took forever to put them there. Besides, like IB said, they work with the tree. If anything, if they need to be implended more, have less lower houses, and more high houses.

The undertrees do kinda bug me though, maybe I could add one or 2 of those RSE trees that stick up outta fortree.

Vicious cycle

Quinn, you realize that we'll have to completely recreate the map in RPGMXP, right? I should've said something earlier about making maps in paint programs - the only thing you're providing us is the overall design. All that effort putting in tiles and everything doesn't matter in the end, you might as well have sketched the layout on a piece of graph paper and scanned it. A few years ago I used to use MS Paint to create maps, painstakingly making perfect 16x16 grids, copypasting tile after tile, before I realized that all this effort was unnecessary in the end. Same story here, and I'm pretty sure you didn't even use a grid, since I see a lot of tile misalignment. Not to put you down, Quinn, but sometimes things won't turn out exactly the way you want them to. And I'm not just talking about this map in particular, but with all your contributions.

With that said, again, I still feel planks are a waste here. From a logical perspective: why have treehouses when there is plenty of space on the ground? In Fortree City, the entire village is built on treetops. Not so with Roothaven. The only way I see the planks working out is if you making the entire city more vertically oriented, that way those walkways become at least somewhat practical. And I'll say it again, the Pokemon Center should be on the ground. Honestly you can just switch the locations of the Pokemon Center and the Roothaven Gym and it'll be fine.

Lastly, try not to mix RSE and FRLG tilesets. On RPGMXP they have separate tilesheets, and as far as I can tell it's a hassle to switch between tilesheets for a single map. I can understand importing something like the Battle Frontier buildings, since they're one-of-a-kind, but for something as petty as trees it's not worth the effort.

Secret Agent

How about something like this (simple sketch on top of origional):

Oh, and I could see that spoiler.

Thats what she said

so you want a gym up in the trees?

Secret Agent

No...
    Bring the pokemon center down, move the mart to where it was, change the trees with treehouses into RSE trees, knock out most of the top left for a lake/river, and, as an added touch, mabe have a fisherman house near the water who will give you a rod if you do something.
    That is what I meant.

Thats what she said

alright, just as long as we keep the bridges. Those took to long just to throw away. And yet again, they do good with the tree theme.

and the gym thing was to neon

Secret Agent

Oh, I missed neon's post.

I really like the treehouse idea, too.

Thats what she said

alright. so this is what I got. Keep the gym where it is. Add a (smaller) pond in the upper left side. Put the pokecenter under the pond (add more life up there), put the mart where the old center is. and add the RSE trees. (I'm not a fan of RSE trees, since this is more FRLG but if people want it, then alright)

+ Reply to Thread