+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Quinn's maps.

Secret Agent

Why couldn't they be natural?

But when I was looking at that, I noticed that the platforms above the hills are 4 tiles above ground, but the ones behind the gyms are 2.

Better Than That Guy

Because that's not how nature works. It doesn't leave perfectly rectangular hills in places for no apparent reason.

Thats what she said

The gym is one tile above. The houses and entrances are 2. Finally, the tunnel is "under" 2. Also, for the upper area. For one, the place is trees...so instead of building complete bridges, they use height in the factor instead. Like how Dynamo Gardens is up in the air completely (that will be fun to make ), same concept. It gives them more area for building houses, along with preserving nature, along with viewing the tree to "appreciate" nature...yes...I actually did think about them before I put them in there.

Alright. Roots, along with some "randomness" to the mountain, for BTG. Not the last edit, but next one will be. This is the 4th page we have been talking about it, when between me and BTG got 4 or so routes done in one page.

To get a headstart on moving on...I've made 2 routes
    . Lets get on with topaz.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian 750 View Post
    Because that's not how nature works. It doesn't leave perfectly rectangular hills in places for no apparent reason.
    Nature doesn't exactly use a tileset, either, with 90 degree angles everywhere.

Quinn, those roots are very... strange. I like them.

Thats what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    Quinn, those roots are very... strange. I like them.
    YAAAH! If others do as well, this might actually be done!

About the next routes?

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Secret Agent

That spoiler won't open... please hold...\

Last edited by Cyndadile; 07-12-10 at 05:34 PM.

Thats what she said

If I could, I would post them without spoiler, but that would slow loading speed down, along that it is kinda against the rules to oversize post

Secret Agent

Check the one I made... (it works for me)...

Is that about right?

Thats what she said

yep. That them.

Yeah, routes are gonna start getting tougher, both for the trainer, and for me.

I used music to give me the feel of the routes, though I dont think it is created up to where I am now. Its also gonna get a bit tougher for trainers, maze-wise.

Secret Agent

Yay, I have magical image-finding powers.

I think that they are good, but you got kind of carried away with the headbutt trees... We don't need them everywhere.

Thats what she said

yeah, thats kinda what I was also thinking. Though, shouldn't there be some in most every route?

Vicious cycle

I don't like the roots. Too small and spread out. Upper right area looked better with the trees. At this point I'm still not fully satisfied with Roothaven, but you probably want to take a break from it, and understandably so. Besides, we still need to remake the map in RPGMXP, there will be plenty of time to revise it.

Route 208 is far too short. I also don't see the point of that tunnel. In the game progression, you would've just had to come from Mt. Mist, and enter Abaddon Swamp immediately afterward. I thought you hated dungeons, Quinn.

Water puddles also look too artificial, probably because they're too big. And as for Route 209, you're supposed to go over a hill to reach Abaddon Swamp. It doesn't make sense for a swamp to be on elevated land.

Thats what she said

its right from Roothaven. Yeah the tunnel might look a bit short, but pokecenters are small too. They are bigger inside. It wouldn't be huge, but like the tunnel from 203 to Oreburgh. I dont get what you mean with mt mist and stuff, but it isn't connected to it at all. Its just a little tunnel. I actually thought it was too big, since I used route 205 and 1/2. they are same size on the map, so I though breakin proportions was bad. I dont hate dungeons, its just they are complete bitchs to make.
    I thought you entered the vally, and then returned to level (ish) and there would be abbandoned swamp.
    So should I make route 208 bigger, and make puddles smaller?

Secret Agent

How about more puddles, if you plan to make them smaller?

Vicious cycle

What I mean about the tunnel is that it's unnecessary. If it's such a short tunnel, as you say, there's no need for it to be there. My point with Mt. Mist and Abaddon swamp had to do with the pacing of the game. First, you had to go through Mt. Mist to enter Roothaven. Then comes your tunnel, and Abaddon Swamp immediately afterward. That's practically three dungeons in a row. Not very good game design, at least for Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I actually thought it was too big, since I used route 205 and 1/2. they are same size on the map, so I though breakin proportions was bad.
    Then that means Route 205 is short too.

Thats what she said

oohhhh. Gotcha. I thought you thought that it was connected to mount mist. My mistake. Yeah, I'll take it out and make it more valley like. I think personally though, if its a valley, route 209 should stay kinda as is...I mean, routes can be big, but not the size of a hill and 2 halves. Abandoned swamp water runs down the hill abit, and then into roothaven.
    So I take it people dont like the roots then? If were this close to finishing it, why dont we? I kinda like the randomness of the 2nd layer with the tree though. To fulfill both sides, if we dont like the roots, they can be replaced with trees, big and small.

Wait, if you're not using RPG Maker to create those maps, what are you using?

I'll probably be able to get my computer fixed in the next few days, so I could actually help you with map design.

Secret Agent

It is an image. It needs to be translated into a real map later.

Thats what she said

^yes. I was gonna be the mapper, though I couldn't get a free rpgmaker xp...and I'm not too good at "making" the free. These maps are what they use though to look at when they make the real thing. These are the "base". They just need the frosting on the top.

Better Than That Guy

I use AdvanceMap and a firered rom personnally.

Thats what she said

alright. I wanna finish Roothaven up...so. Get rid of the roots...and add a bit more trees to the hill area. Thats what I got. If there are anymore...speak now. Of course we can pull it up if needed in the future, but only if nessesary. I want it DONE!

BTG. Neon says that route 205 is too small...so since you edited it, maybe you could add some more length to it? Also, maybe some trees behind the house, so it doesn't look like its blocking a road into nothing?

Secret Agent

I think we need more feedback.

And personally, I liked the roots.

Thats what she said

yeah. I do too (weird....)

I just cant be here all day waiting. Pokemon cities are never perfect for everyone...so should it stay as is?

Better Than That Guy

Not really wierd, you two seem to be liking everything each other does (cyndadile just stop wiht the "It's perfect!" it's getting to be a broken record, nothing's ever perfect). Anyway I'll get to work on route 205.

EDIT: no actually I wont. I like it and someone with a red name agreed.

Thats what she said

its an inside joke. We are "duplicates" of eachother. He is a reincarnation of me, from the future.

roothaven? I'll make the route 208 bigger, and without the tunnel. I think 209 is good as is though.

Secret Agent

cyndadile just stop wiht the "It's perfect!" it's getting to be a broken record, nothing's ever perfect
    Hmmm... Strange, I typically don't like that word. I avoid its use most of the time.

I searched through 3 threads, and I only saw it once. If you are considering "good" and "I like it" too, that is more, but I see no problem with saying that.

Quinn, you could put Roothaven aside for a while to get more feedback. If you want, though, post a root-free version also.

Vicious cycle

Stop arguing, guys.

Quinn, Route 209 does need at least some editing to make the puddles more believable. Personally I don't care what you do with Roothaven because that's going to have to be remade anyway. I already warned you guys before that it's a wasted effort to make maps this detailed without RPGMXP =/

BTG, you say "nothing is perfect", but then refuse to edit Route 205? I shouldn't even have to cry hypocrisy here. If we're estimating route length by the RSE region map, then Route 205 is longer than the cycling road between Slateport and Mauville.

Thats what she said

true. I just want roothaven ready so when they make it, they know what to do. Thats the point of the maps. I'll work with them all tonight.

Better Than That Guy

I know 205's not perfect but I like it. But sure I'll make it longer at a later date.

Thats what she said

^I do too. It is supposed to be a shorter route as well, (I think) last, like he said, its bigger than cycling road vertical. I should work. (Neon, why did you say it was too short then?)

Vicious cycle

Quinn, I demand that you stop misunderstanding me all the time.

What I meant was, if you take a look at the Topaz region map and the Hoenn region map, Route 205 is 4 blocks long while RSE's Route 110 is 3 blocks long.

Now compare this:

with this:

Route 205 is too short. That's my point.

Better Than That Guy

Cut out the bits with no grass and it's a lot shorter

Thats what she said

calm down neon. Just say what you need to say, and I wont misunderstand. I will also make Route 208 bigger...though I have a bit already.

Vicious cycle

Quinn, I was half-joking.

Cut out the bits with no grass and it's a lot shorter
    Not the point.

Thats what she said

Lately, everything is so much more "powerful" lets say to me. Lots of stuff going on...so everything small feels like a truckload. (all the more reason why I dislike arguing here so much)

Thats what she said

I used my Saphire to look at puddles, and I've worked them to be more like it (to my thinking)

the 2 routes. A bit longer as well. Since I'm using photobucket as well now for maps, they are resized a bit

and of course, roothaven. Without roots, along with some more trees and zeneths thing with the ladder.
    Last edited by Quinn; 07-14-10 at 05:42 PM.

Better Than That Guy

Uh WHAT THE FU-!
    I see photoshop decide to rebel on that second map :P

Secret Agent

I thought that Zenith meant wider bridges.

Other than some tile problems with the tall grass, the routes should be good enough if they are long enough. The puddles in the second one could be smaller, though.

Thats what she said

yeah...Idk whats up with the grass, but thats how it should look like. I was looking at my Sapphire, and I saw some weird stuff I never noticed on that as well.

Secret Agent

You TOTALLY changed it...it was running down the hill before.

+ Reply to Thread