+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Move Animations

Administrator

Default Move Animations

One of the things we need to get done for the demo are Move Animations. We can basically say that none are done, since Poccil included like 3 usable ones. Here's a short tutorial on how to get started on them.

First of all, get Poccil’s Essentials from here:
    http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/
    Don’t worry, you don’t need RPG Maker at all, you can do everything in the starter.
    Download pokestarter. Extract it, and open it up.
    Then open up editor.exe.

Use the arrow keys to move around, enter to confirm and “x” to cancel.
    Go to Animations and press enter, press “Import All Animations” then “Export All Animations”. Repeat once more (this is just to make sure that you have all your animations, plus the “Animations” folder, after this you just need to “Import All Animations” every time you open up Editor).

Now, you need to go back to the Animations folder. Close Editor, and go back into the pokestarter folder. There should be a folder called “Animations”.

From the very small number of sprite sheets available with Poccil’s, it’s very likely you’ll need to make your own, or find one on the internet. A good place to find animation sprites you need is Spriter’s Resource, where they have them ripped:
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/...rl/sheet/21068
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/gam...rlg/sheet/3860
    Personally, I would use the Fire Red / Leaf Green ones but Diamond/Pearl may fit better with our 80x80 size.

Let’s create a move! I did Cherry Bomb. First, you need your sprite sheet. Go into the Animations folder, and create a new folder. Call it Move_MOVENAME, so in our case Move_CHERRYBOMB. Inside, place your sprite sheet. You’ll need to separate each sprite into boxes so they don’t overlap. I used this, and named it Cherry_Bomb.png. For the sake of consistency, name all moves like this (eg. Sand_Attack.png or Marionette.png).

Now, open up Editor, select Animations and then “Import All Animations”. You should see your move’s name pop up while it’s loading. Select “Animation Editor” and you should come up with a screen like this:

Click (with your mouse) “Lists of Animations” and find an empty slot. In my case I used 107. Press F5, and rename the slot to MOVE:MOVENAME. Do not use spaces. Then, select it and you should have the same screen, but with your sprite sheet on the bottom left corner.

To animate, just change a frame number, click on a sprite on you sprite wheel, then click where you want it. You can adjust with the arrow keys or even more finely with arrow + alt. If ever you need to see how it looks, just click “Play Animation”. Careful though, if you made your Pokemon move, it will not show up on “Play Animation”. (You can unlock the Pokemon sprites by clicking on their sprite and pressing L). Adjust the number of frames by clicking on the Frames: # button. If you want something to move from point A to point B smoothly, you can use the “Tweening” button. Experiment a bit.

Once you are done. Press Esc. Make sure you save changes before you exit! Once you’re back into Editor, “Export All Animations” and then you’re done!

A few notes:
    ALL animations need to be done. Including the ones from canon moves such as Hydro Pump. You can feel free to change how they look from the games, since the games change anyway.
    There needs to be two animations for each move, one for attacking and one for defending.

Vicious cycle

Oh wow, and here I thought animations were going to be our toughest challenge programming-wise. This program and your tutorial will make the process much easier. I'll start tinkering with it tomorrow.

Thats what she said

AWESOME! FINALLY. I dont know if I can do this, but I think I will

I call dibs on psychic, surf (since I'm already half done with them. Yes IB, I started before ;0 ),maybe confuse ray, but I'll get to that later. YET Again, surf and psychic = happy quinn
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Better Than That Guy

There is no dibs, best gets through.

EDIT: What size do the animation boxes things have to be?
    Last edited by Black Temple Gaurdian; 06-30-10 at 05:09 PM.

Thats what she said

well then, I'll make mine the best Take out "anyone" in my way!!! DUN DUN DUN! jk. Well, I've already got those half way, so that shouldn't be to hard though. How do you post them?

Also, here is a couple more stuff. GS and RBY stuff. In other words. Revamp stuff

BIG IMAGES!

Last edited by Quinn; 06-30-10 at 04:38 PM.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

aut vincere aut mori

Hmm, sounds a little complicated but I bet even I could do a few after a couple of tries.

Thats what she said

awesome! "THIS IS GONNA ROCK!"

Better Than That Guy

You’ll need to separate each sprite into boxes so they don’t overlap.
    How big do the images and the gaps between them have to be?

Thats what she said

It might be just me, but I dont think it matters, as long as their separate. I can't remember though, sorry. Try that though.

Secret Agent

I could see some awesome moves using RBY/GSC Revamp images.
    I might have to try, but my computer does not take downloads well.

Thats what she said

Same here, my psychic is gonna be. (GSC was the best psychic and surf yet, so I wanna see if I can, remake them to awesomeness!)

Better Than That Guy

Nope, there's a predifined gap between them I think. Or it could be because I'm not using sheets with a transparent colour. Anyway, 192x192 pixels is the maximum.

Thats what she said

just like I did with shinies, I'm gonna see if I can do one of EVERY move. Lets hope I can do this....

by the way, what about sounds?

Better Than That Guy

Umm, how do you get a transparent image that isn't GIF?

Thats what she said

png.

PS. This is the best sounds I could get
    http://208.53.138.111/soundtracks/po...collection.mp3

I'm trying to find psychichs I found surf.

Better Than That Guy

Uh, no duh. Now then, mind answering the question How. Do. You. Make. It. Transparent?

Secret Agent

I think RPG maker can turn it transparent itself, if I remember correctly.

Thats what she said

please dont get pissy.

If you have photoshop you can just delete it, for both. if you use paint, then I'm not sure. I know there are sites that can do it.

Does anyone else have toe sounds?

Thats what she said

excluding psychic and surf, should I forget about sounds for now? Although I've got that one sound thingy?

Better Than That Guy

I was thinking for Overload you could just splice together the Charge animation and the bright blue Thunder thunderbolts.

Thats what she said

WTF is happening! I worked for 10 hours on this! How many did I get done? NONE! My 1st issue, is once I made the file and imported it, when I would put the name in and open it, my sheet wasn't there. I had to put it from the bitmap thingy. 2nd. I would get an error message about every 30min -1hr. I saved once every 5 minutes, so I thought I was safe, but then...3. Once it closes, I import everything, then go into the editor, and go to the list. It wasn't there once! WHAT THE HELL? I was so amped about making these (IB knows), but I can't do it if I can't figure out what is going wrong.

Somebody know whats going on?
    Last edited by Quinn; 07-01-10 at 05:08 PM.

Thats what she said

I just dont know whats going on with it...

Also, since the thing doesn't allow backgrounds, those are put in when they are in RPG, at least thats what I think.

here is what backgrounds I have basically for psychic and surf.

PSYCHIC: (Quick and kinda glitchy)
    You have the rings, like in GS. (Might be better as psybeam though)

Surf: Yet again, just a quick upload. It goes up, like the GS version as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

A more "easier" way to say the problems.

Last edited by Quinn; 07-01-10 at 05:51 PM.

aut vincere aut mori

Couldn't we just ask someone else who's making a fangame for the canon animations? There's got to be someone that has them. It would be faster so Badara can hopefully finish. I could ask around on Pokecommunity (I know a couple people making fangames there) if you want.

It's not trying to say that we shouldn't make our own, it would be cool, it's just that maybe we should try and use canon ones in the interest of getting the demo out while we have Badara.
    Last edited by SilentSentinel; 07-01-10 at 10:40 PM.

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ragingprimeape View Post
    Couldn't we just ask someone else who's making a fangame for the canon animations? There's got to be someone that has them. It would be faster so Badara can hopefully finish. I could ask around on Pokecommunity (I know a couple people making fangames there) if you want.

It's not trying to say that we shouldn't make our own, it would be cool, it's just that maybe we should try and use canon ones in the interest of getting the demo out while he have Badara.
    Why not ask the guy who's making Pokemon Uranium? Uranium, I believe, was made with RPGMaker, as well...try that, if that helps!

Edit: derp didn't read disregard this

Thats what she said

Its not really me to call anything, but might I make a gameplan?

So, we need many animations for the demo, right? What I suggest everyone do is 1st priority, make the Topaz moves. I dont know which pokemon are appearing in the demo, except mainly Venap, Celsinge, Echoise, Mogel, Fincherp and some others. If we look at there move lists, we can see all the topaz moves we need.

I'll take Venap for example
    Pound ---
    Leer ---
    Vine Whip 7
    Astonish 10
    Mud Slap 10
    Sweet Scent 13
    Razor leaf 17
    Wrap 23
    Fake Tears 27
    Grasswhistle 32
    Giga Drain 37
    Growth 40
    Ingrain 43
    Floral Storm 44
    Magical Leaf 48

See, thats all that would be needed for Venap, if someone can find the Canon moves.

another.
    Pyreign
    Acid ---
    Leer ---
    Ember ---
    Harden ---
    Firebath ---
    Bug Bite 25
    Flare 29

Fireball 34
    Signal Beam 40
    Focus Sight 46
    Flamethrower 53
    Temper 62
    Tail Glow 72

he has more, but still. If we can get the canon moves, that will save lots of time for the demo. I still suggest that by the time that the actual finished product comes out, we have completely new stuff, but for the time, use what we got. If we really like a canon move, maybe a quick recolor or background change to call it our own.

Last, if in the end, canon moves cant be found, we should just make what we need for the demo, instead of random stuff

Quinn Out.

Thats what she said

I've gotta background made for light wave, along with some other light moves, but I'm stuck. I was wondering if it should be like a "wave" like shock wave, or a beam like thing.

I've also got ambush in the makings, ambush's into complete, and a background for it, along with some water moves. I'm holding back on psychic (possible psybeam) and surf to see what happens.

Better Than That Guy

Umm I'm sorry but, are you mentally intact? You're wondering if Light WAVE should be a wave or a beam?!

Secret Agent

Actually, it's a legitimate question. Should it be literal, or not? I'm thinking it might be nice to base it off of something like surf.

Thats what she said

DUDE!!! WHAT THE HELL??? DO YOU HAVE YOUR CROSSHAIRS ON ME?!? COME ON! Dont be calling me mental for asking what people want! Look at the shock wave in DPP, there is NO wave. So please, again I say, "dont piss me off!"

(I'm starting to think people, both here and up here in utah, have their crosshairs on me...and I'm starting to get annoyed)

Better Than That Guy

Yes well, we all know how much *cough*no*cough* effort went into making DPPl.

Thats what she said

I will true that.
    totally serious though, I dont see why there is so much harshness on DPP. If anything, I'm scared for 5th gen with ferris wheels, and roller coasters. Those aren't pokemon.

I thought they were actually kinda good. Some, not all, but some pokemon did look cool. Graphics were awesome (except when hikers eyes would go giant and tiny depending on where you stood) like the snow, and like something as simple as side stairs. (It was the 1st gen to have stairs go sideways off of mountains. Dont believe me, pull out your DS and play both a gameboy game and a ds game with the mountains, and notice.)
    Move animations were good, to a point. They F**ked up some of them like aurora beam, surf, psychic, shockwave and volt tackle. If we are having shockwave though, how do you differentiate (?) the 2?

Small electric charges coming off Shockwave? Making Light Wave more whitish, and have it or the user glow more?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I thought they were actually kinda good. Some, not all, but some pokemon did look cool. Graphics were awesome (except when hikers eyes would go giant and tiny depending on where you stood) like the snow, and like something as simple as side stairs. (It was the 1st gen to have stairs go sideways off of mountains. Dont believe me, pull out your DS and play both a gameboy game and a ds game with the mountains, and notice.)
    Move animations were good, to a point. They F**ked up some of them like aurora beam, surf, psychic, shockwave and volt tackle.
    This. Do we have tiles for side stairs? Surf wasn't that bad, though. It got the whole "summoning a wave" thing across pretty well. And there really were a lot they improved on...Thunderbolt, anyone?

Thats what she said

If I get the time, I'll work with that idea of Light wave.

Side stairs, I dont think so. Theres this weird code thingy you have to put in. (read from the pokemon essentials notes)

thunderbolt I will agree to, that one was good, along with HGSS's thunder.

Vicious cycle

Fangking used side stairs (and even back stairs) in some of his maps, so I'm pretty sure we can figure it out.

Thats what she said

not to get off topic, but in my map thread, if anyone has the tiles, can they get them for me?

Thats what she said

I'm kinda wondering still with those tiles...though (along with a load of other stuff) it isn't on our sheet. (why I keep updating it).

I just was lookin at uranium, and wow....that actually looks kinda cool...but I gotta keep control. I dont wanna be downloading every hack and developed game there is out there.

yah, haven't done light wave yet.

Finding out where some of the hacks/fangames using upgraded tiles are getting them from would be a good idea.

stuff

BUILDIN' A BUMP

Working on the ENTIRE TM/HM list, starting with Focus Punch. Just thought I'd let you all kno that these WILL get moving, now that I can actually transparentize my sheets.

Administrator

You are amazing, PikangX. (You can skip Cherry Bomb though.)

stuff

Ack, having trouble getting the sprites to look right...they look so huge when I make them 192X192 >_<

IB, what size was every box in your Cherry Bomb anim?

+ Reply to Thread