+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FINAL PUSH!: 14 to Make, Many More to Edit

Secret Agent

They look good to me. Cackinge looks awesome, but the right arm seems a little flat.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

There aren't enough usable shades.

If it's an issue, I can try increasing the light on the arm overall, but when I first made it I judged that the way the arm was placed would not allow that.

Administrator

Man, Cackinge looks so much better. It really looks ready to fight. That is an inspired piece of spriting!

Let's see...

Brontogon is now fine. First we need to decide which one we want to use though. I like the close crop, personally.
    Atlaxa is now fine.
    Metusk is now fine.
    Serberine is now fine.
    Caribrisk is now fine.
    Leoracle is now fine.
    Illumbra is now fine.
    Duval and Malduval are now fine.
    Cackinge is now fine.

The two I'm not too sure about still are Arowana and Vilephist. Vilephist seems a little too cute, it kind of looks like an alternate concept for Duval. Arowana I've already explained, though I know you've decided to leave it be for now. I think Arowana will make do as a placeholder for now since it's so difficult for anyone to simply improve upon what you've already done.

Great job, Reliability! This is awesome.

aut vincere aut mori

I like close crop for Brontogon as well. Great work though, wow.

Resident Composer

I also like the close crop Brontogon. All of these look great, Reli.
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Just stuck those up, including the close crop Brontogon, as here and on page 2 we have 5 votes for that one and one slight preference for the other.

Spriter and Gym designer

I've started to give Arowana an attempt, but I'm not sure it's big enough. We'll see. Also, I don't think I'll be good with the texture, so I'll just make it without the scales so someone can add those later (if it's even good enough for anyone to care whether or not it has scales)

Edit: Here it is

Here's just the outline, because sometimes that's easier to work with.

Again, they may be too small, I just wanted to give it a try.
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 12-17-10 at 03:29 AM.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Ya, it's a little small.

You have a lot more room to make it bigger, since your limits are 80x80. To give you an idea:

This box is 81x81, so if it fits inside this box, it is the right size. Your sprite fills maybe half of it.

But your head looks far better than mine IMO. If you can re-sprite just the head of my most recent one, I think that will improve it.

Spriter and Gym designer

Do you think that enlarging my sprite's head, and putting it on your sprite's body would be good? I'm enlarging my sprite's head, so I'll put on your sprite's body and see how that goes.

Administrator

One concern I have with this one is that it looks like it's facing sideways rather than towards the opponent.

Spriter and Gym designer

Do you think that enlarging my sprite's head, and putting it on your sprite's body would be good? I'm enlarging my sprite's head, so I'll put on your sprite's body and see how that goes.
    Said sprite is now in my album, if you want to see it.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    One concern I have with this one is that it looks like it's facing sideways rather than towards the opponent.
    But even so, I think it looks better than my head. But IB is right, it really needs to be looking more at the opponent than either of ours. Probably at an angle where you can't see the eye at all...

Spriter and Gym designer

I've got more Arowana back sprites! Could someone please tell me which one is correct in the way of colour on the back of the head?

V4:

V5:

Oh yeah, I forgot that someone needs to give him some... whatever those stringy things are (what are they anyways? Are they antennae and a mustache?). Also, the head might be a bit too big, I'll work on that at some point if anyone thinks so too.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

The good thing about backsprites is that we get to have some artistic license. Nothing we do is right or wrong, since as long as everything is consistent with the front sprite, anything that is shown is ours to interpret (ex. Ferrain's shield can only be seen from the side in the front sprite. The art on the front of the shield as seen in the current backsprite was entirely my idea.)

The main issue I have with yours is the roundness of the head. The back should be slightly unrounded and the snout should be a bit longer to try, since right now the mouth look very much like part of the head. But that is the right angle, much closer to what is right. Also, here is my most recent Arowana. The one you used is the smaller version, as IB suggested that we use this larger one:

If you can get the head right, I can add the whiskers (I think, not antenna) onto it. I may also decide to add the other arm, since the angle is changed. Thanks so much for doing this! It's nice to have some fresh blood.

Spriter and Gym designer

Hmm... Your new sprite looks kind of... unnatural. It's mainly the lines that look a bit strange. I'll try and edit it to make it look more natural, but otherwise I like it.!

P.S. I just realized that we live in the same province :P

Edit: Here's the new sprite.
    Last edited by Tyrannigon64; 12-21-10 at 12:09 AM.

Administrator

The main problem I have with Arowana is that it seems so puny. Look at that arm. Proportionally it's really tiny, and the whole sprite seems so slim.

エックス 抗体

I suppose I should start my revival here. I've noticed a stunning lack of consistency between my style and well... the rest of Topaz, so I'm just going through ALL my sprites to match the others some more. So far I've finished cleaning up Gashawk a bit, and I'm working on an Arowana backsprite which I'll show the WIP of. I'll do Vilephist's backsprite afterwards and then rework my icons to match the new ones by Tyrannigon64. After that I may go through the backsprites and redo some of them because I think they look a bit dodgy (no offense to the original makers)

okay Arowana's backsprite is finished too~
    Last edited by X-Antibody; 01-11-11 at 04:43 AM.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Administrator

Hey, WB X-Antibody!

Gashawk is a lot smaller than before. Was that intentional?

Also, for Arowana, I love how the body turned out but the head still seems a bit small. Otherwise it looks pretty great!

エックス 抗体

I see we still have that editing post thing.

I just realised that Arowana might be a bit "small" compared to the current backsprites and I really should crop it and make the sprite bigger. Either that or I go through the effort of going through all of the current backsprites, shrinking the heads a bit and putting more of the body in (more details =D), and I'm actually leaning towards that option more because Arowana gave me several finger cramps, I love it and I've already grown quite attached to it... Of course this might cause problems with the rest of the Topaz community that toiled (harder) to make all the backsprites we have today so I'm pretty much torn. Just want to know your opinions~

I also fixed up Arowana's head thing a bit;

Oh and Gashawk was made smaller to fit in between the other two bird of the line.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

エックス 抗体

Vilephist, complete with a new front sprite (because I personally thought that the old sprite's posture looked a bit stiff and unnatural) Might actually be too big this time, but eh. Comment~
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Arowana: As much as I think it's an amazing piece of spriting, I would say it needs to be bigger. The only reason I say that is because of how several canon back sprites are. (Dragonite and Charizard (IIRC) come to mind: they are simply heads) Even just a closer crop of this bit:

Vilephist: I love it, and the new front sprite. It isn't too big, as long as Blitzfaust is edited to similar size (which I'm sure you were going to do anyway, because he's right up there in the 'dodgy' sprites)
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Antibody View Post
    (no offense to the original makers)
    A big 'none taken' from me. ...and considering the sprites you're talking about are more than likely ones I did/had a hand in, that's really all you need. There are several up there that I'm not totally happy with, but my goal was to get placeholders first, so I was more concerned with getting things out there for other people to edit rather than overall quality. Recently anyway. Some of my really old stuff (Embear/Grizlare) is just bad because they were the first backsprites I ever did. But I guess the reason for their quality isn't important, as long as they are improved.
    Side note for X-Antibody:

Indeed, welcome back. And thanks for stepping up!

Also, if anyone finds such things interesting, the What Has and Hasn't Been Done topic has gotten another update to reflect that we have sprites for everything now. I also am planning to get back into spriting and join X-A in working to try and fix up/revamp some of my older sprites (lol Embear). My prolonged absence is going to be hard to break, but bear with me until I get over this hump.

エックス 抗体

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    Arowana: As much as I think it's an amazing piece of spriting, I would say it needs to be bigger. The only reason I say that is because of how several canon back sprites are. (Dragonite and Charizard (IIRC) come to mind: they are simply heads) Even just a closer crop of this bit:

I suppose I should, I'll probably keep this version for personal use c:
    Vilephist: I love it, and the new front sprite. It isn't too big, as long as Blitzfaust is edited to similar size (which I'm sure you were going to do anyway, because he's right up there in the 'dodgy' sprites)
    Thanks! Haha, I was going to edit them too since I have the same personal problem against Blitzfaust's front pose.
    A big 'none taken' from me. ...and considering the sprites you're talking about are more than likely ones I did/had a hand in, that's really all you need. There are several up there that I'm not totally happy with, but my goal was to get placeholders first, so I was more concerned with getting things out there for other people to edit rather than overall quality. Recently anyway. Some of my really old stuff (Embear/Grizlare) is just bad because they were the first backsprites I ever did. But I guess the reason for their quality isn't important, as long as they are improved.
    Yup, thanks! I'll work on them when I'm motivated enough~ (main reason I keep going on and off, bad reason, but motivation and inspiration are the only things that can drive me)
    Side note for X-Antibody:

That's okay, because I like most of those myself. I'll just include some things I personally say can be fixed on them;
    Grific and Gryphonic - Grific is nice, but the outline's shading is a bit off the actual lightsource (the head has a darker outline than the body, when it probably should be the other way around)
    My only real complaint about Gryphonic would be the shading, and maybe the beak? The shading all around the sprite is pretty much all over the place, and I don't think the way the wings are shaded really gives off the right texture. The mane looks pillowshaded, which isn't a good idea on sprites that need to look semi-professional.
    Striba - I like Stribra c: Just not too hot about the head and headshape.
    Equill - I would say that the head is too rounded off and detached from the 'body', as in the front sprite the two things are pretty much one and the same, only a small indent to show that it actually has a body and a head and not just both in the same rounded rectangle. The wings are also a bit small in proportion, compared to the front.
    Serberine - I was going to say I'm pretty much okay with it except for some of the headshapes, except I realise those make up the whole sprite. I guess it's really only the way the head on the most left side (our left) sort of bumps into the middle head, (as in the middle head's indent to seperate head from neck is a bit too large and starts too early, making the left head meld into it and look dodgy)
    Cackinge - I would just fiddle with the shading and outline of the arm closest to us a little. The head piece is also has odd shading imo but that's okay since I find that that's just Topaz's style.
    Flintusk - Head is a bit wonky, I would take a chunk out of the part furthest from us (the [our] left part) and put more ear in there. Maybe clean up the mane and make the split hair (the 'spikes') a bit smaller and closer together, make the mane more clean. And I suppose we should be able to see the tusk.
    Goldrake - I can honestly say this is probably one of your best~ I can only see slight problems with the fin, it should be more rounded and the outline should be smoother (as well as have scales cover the whole surface area) and the tail is slightly pillow-shaded, which should be changed and have the tail be outline-shaded a bit.

Indeed, welcome back. And thanks for stepping up!

Also, if anyone finds such things interesting, the What Has and Hasn't Been Done topic has gotten another update to reflect that we have sprites for everything now. I also am planning to get back into spriting and join X-A in working to try and fix up/revamp some of my older sprites (lol Embear). My prolonged absence is going to be hard to break, but bear with me until I get over this hump.

Cheers!~ Let's do our best! c:
    Comments in bold! (overdone but still do-able and very convenient)

EDIT: It was 2AM and I didn't see myself sleeping very soon so I did Blitzfaust;

It's actually a complete super-edit of my Vilephist (hope it's not too noticeable) and the front sprite was made to match my Vilephist front sprite. Well it's 2:41AM now and I can definitely see myself sleeping. I'll be back [my] tomorrow though~!... When all of you are sleeping/occupied and not online ._.
    Last edited by X-Antibody; 01-11-11 at 03:42 PM.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Administrator

I think the new Blitzfaust and Vilephist backsprites look fantastic. The front sprites I don't mind either way, but am open to change.

As for Arowana, Reliability's probably right about the crop, though I do love what you've done with the body... (And absolutely agreed on Goldrake, it's wonderful)

That's a pretty good comeback, X-Antibody!

エックス 抗体

Thanks~ c: I remade Kraklaw (to follow some of Quinn's old suggestions such as [turn the body around a bit] and I repositioned the claws to be less dodgy and stuff) and it comes with a new backsprite (not as detailed as the old one)

I tried to style it to fit in with the other Topaz sprites a bit more because every time I look at the Backsprite/Front sprite section in the repository it just stands out a lot as one of the two DPPtHGSS styled backsprites (this would be Kipporok, and it still blends in) The palette's a bit odd because I'm colourblind and can't make palettes for crud so feel free to change that (I tried to make the contrast between shades, saturation and stuff similar to Novoni's style but... didn't go too well)

I'm guessing it's better for me to stick most of my front/back sprites in this place and then put my icons into my old icon thread or just stick them here too. If I get 'Offtopic' then just boot me out of this thread and I'll probably reuse one of my older ones.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

エックス 抗体

Finished remaking Arowana's backsprite to be closer and larger~

I still prefer the old one but this one isn't too bad either imo c:
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

エックス 抗体

Made an Abyssus, pretty proud of myself c:

I think I'm getting a bit attached to dithering :x
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

エックス 抗体

Did Zantilidae and Ferrian.

EDIT: Moved all my files to a Photobucket album;
    http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...aLuLu27/Topaz/
    Pass for private album is "X-AntibodysTopazAlbum"
    Everything I've done for Topaz over the years should be there (except for a few- that would be when I started using tinypic instead)
    Last edited by X-Antibody; 01-12-11 at 09:29 AM.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Secret Agent

Great work!

Not sure I'm a fan of the Kraklaw front, though.

Abyssus and Arowana are great.

Thats what she said

I gotta say true dat for the most point. Dont take it wrong, want this as constructive as possible.

It seems his spear like thing *watev its called* is a bit more high raised for the "heat of battle"
    Excluding Gen 4's 1st frame backsprite , you always see Zangoos's famous claws
    so...as I bet you could guess by now, I think he should have some claw being seen. Whether its pointed at the opponent like a "your gonna be shreds" or rased kinda in the "come on and try me" like his front sprite, he should have showing claws. Also, idk if its just my eyes and the front sprite, but his arms look kinda less "beafy" than the front.

I like its possitioning for the most part, and I know its a squid and all, but it seems kinda weak for being the big badass in the beggining. Maybe even some evil to the eye, and a claw raised could do some magic. Excluding Tentas, I think for its size and stuff, maybe the backsprite should show even some eye. Not much of course, but enough to show this badass means business, and you can't "touch this". Ya know?

I know thats weird critisism, but hey, hope it helps. Though I didn't mention the others, thats cause I think they look WAYYY good! If I could sprite like that, I would be the shitdigadi. lol. I would love to know how to sprite that good.
    Also, I for one am pretty attached to the change of the Blitz and Vile, and I could whip up a shiny asap if I hear a "good to go" type of thing. I for them.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Administrator

Agreeing for the most part with Quinn. Kraklaw seems a little too submissive in the new sprite. Abyssus' and Arowana's new backsprites are epic.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Some of your links are now broken. They definitely weren't earlier today, so I'm going off of what I remember for Blitzfaust.

Blitzfaust: I had an issue with both front and back. The front was mostly to do with outlines that seemed a little jagged, but I didn't have time to look closely and see exactly why.
    The back seemed inorganic, especially the wings on the head. When the images go back up, I can edit them if you want me to, as I realize I'm not being very specific right now.

Kraklaw: i agree with the above: it seems a little too gelatinous (THERE'S a word I never thought I could use in conversation) and easy to squish.

Ferrain: The sprite feels really contained, like he has the shield and lance clutched really close to him. That was the issue that I had with the sheild in my attempt, so I'm not sure how you could go about fixing that bit. Quinn might be on the right track with raising the lance a little, though. It may help.

Zantilidae: I really like the head, but there is something about the body that feels awkward. Still overall better than mine, but I'll try and figure what's wrong with it on a later date.

The palette's a bit odd because I'm colourblind
    That makes two of us. That's right Topaz, none of your artists can see colours properly. We are LEGIT!

Spriter and Gym designer

Some of the pictures don't show up on my computer (You're Abyssus and Arowana), but the other ones work. Here are my comments:

Kraklaw: I personally think that the colours are improved, but the actual sprite is (as Reliabilty and ImmunityBow have mentioned) weak looking. Also, you can barely see the claws.
    Zantilidae: It seems better, but I can't seem to figure out what it is you have improved.
    Ferrian: It's better than what we have already, but I think something's wrong with it, I just don't know what (Possibly something about the shield, I'm not too sure).

エックス 抗体

Some of your links are now broken. They definitely weren't earlier today, so I'm going off of what I remember for Blitzfaust.
    EDIT: Moved all my files to a Photobucket album;
    http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...aLuLu27/Topaz/
    Pass for private album is "X-AntibodysTopazAlbum"
    Everything I've done for Topaz over the years should be there (except for a few- that would be when I started using tinypic instead)
    That fixes it for you and Tyrannigon64.
    But for you who does not like scrolling through Photobucket albums;

Blitzfaust: I had an issue with both front and back. The front was mostly to do with outlines that seemed a little jagged, but I didn't have time to look closely and see exactly why.
    The back seemed inorganic, especially the wings on the head. When the images go back up, I can edit them if you want me to, as I realize I'm not being very specific right now.

I'm not too hyped about the wings either, so I'll try and fix those too.
    Kraklaw: i agree with the above: it seems a little too gelatinous (THERE'S a word I never thought I could use in conversation) and easy to squish.
    Welp. I'll try and make it more hardcore bamf later, I'll focus on getting the backs finalised first since it's easier.
    Ferrain: The sprite feels really contained, like he has the shield and lance clutched really close to him. That was the issue that I had with the sheild in my attempt, so I'm not sure how you could go about fixing that bit. Quinn might be on the right track with raising the lance a little, though. It may help.

Zantilidae: I really like the head, but there is something about the body that feels awkward. Still overall better than mine, but I'll try and figure what's wrong with it on a later date.

Well there's less body to feel awkward about since I fattened up the tail when I saw the Gen 4 Zangoose's tail.
    That makes two of us. That's right Topaz, none of your artists can see colours properly. We are LEGIT!
    That actually feels pretty epic. I still hate palettes though.

EDIT:
    @ Tyrannigon64 [forgot to quote you]
    Kraklaw: Yeah, I'll do my best to make him tough and kickbutt.
    Zantilidae: Essentially... I resprited the whole thing. From scratch.
    Ferrian: See above and re-comment about what still seems dodgy.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Resident Composer

This thread is full of epic and win. I look forward to more graphic work being done regarding sprites. Great work!
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

エックス 抗体

Are Blitzfaust's wings any better?
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Better. Have you tied not using black outlines on them at all? Or, just on the outside of the right one. Either way, they would look significantly lighter.

エックス 抗体

I was something like 2 pixels away from finishing Kraklaw, saving obsessively because my computer likes to spazz on me and my computer spazzed in the middle of saving so I lost it. It had an almost completely new backsprite and the front sprite was somewhat angrier and aggressive but all that is goneeeeeeeeeeeee.

And I lightened the outlines of the wings a bit, better?
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Spriter and Gym designer

Arowana looks pretty good. Abyssus, that scarf kind of thing seems a bit thick, but that might just be me.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Wings are much better.
    Now, the only two things I see on that one are the left shoulder and the neck-brace thing. The shoulder is a little low and a little angular, but fixing one may be enough. I think the brace should extend a little to the left and the base could be a little more curved.

Abyssus and Arowana are awesome. And I think that Ferrain and Zantilidae are improved quite a bit as well. I'd like to get these (especially Vilephist and Arowana) up on the repository ASAP, but I'll just wait for IB to post any of his own comments and give the all clear.

Administrator

All clear.

+ Reply to Thread