+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders; Who And Where Are They?

A problem I see with it is, well, if Rivalry Orb shards are only obtained by getting them from Gym Leaders, and can only be used on a single Zangoose or Seviper, wouldn't that make completing the Dex impossible?

And the main problem I have with having Leaders give out non-TMs is that the TM moves are treated kind of like the Leader's signature move. You can't exactly do that with part of a Rivalry Orb or some other equippable item.

It's a solid idea, but I think it would be better if we looked for TMs that worked first, and kept this as a backup idea.
    Last edited by Zenith; 10-16-10 at 12:18 AM.

Administrator

No, you would take them to an NPC and have them combined into the Rivalry Orb, a hold item that would let you evolve any Zangoose or Seviper.

I don't really see your point when we're running 12 gym leaders. We've already established that 12 gym leaders makes it impossible to keep to all of the gym-associated traditions. Why is this so much more important then?

I know that they evolve when they level up with the Rivalry Orb equipped. But when one of them evolves, the Rivalry Orb is used up. And if you can only get one by getting the halves from the two Gym Leaders, then you can't have both Zantilidae and Pythang. If you can get another, it ruins the importance of getting the halves from the Gym Leaders.

And I guess it just feels kind of...off to not have Gym Leaders throw a move at you that you haven't seen before. I dunno, it kind of ruins the spectacle of it a little.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    But when one of them evolves, the Rivalry Orb is used up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    ... a hold item that would let you evolve any Zangoose or Seviper
    As in, it doesn't disappear after one use. It stays around.

That would make it the first of its kind to do so. The Razor Claw, Reaper Cloth, Magmarizer, etc. disappear after the evolution.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Indeed it would be. But if you hadn't noticed (like the contents of this topic, for example), we seem to be doing that a lot.
    Last edited by Reliability; 10-18-10 at 12:42 AM.

RPG Administrator

Is there anything wrong with that? That's what this game is about, new ideas, fresh thinking, it's a fan game for crying out loud! I think you seem a bit stuck on the canon games Zenith, no offense intended or anything...
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    Is there anything wrong with that? That's what this game is about, new ideas, fresh thinking, it's a fan game for crying out loud! I think you seem a bit stuck on the canon games Zenith, no offense intended or anything...
    I think it needs to be a balance. Sometimes I argue FOR canon things, simply because I like the way that it has been done and don't want to change it.

The advantage of being a fan game, though, is that if we come up with a good idea (like this rivalry orb idea) that we really want to use, we don't have to be constrained by canon. But the advantage of having canon games to go off of is that we are constrained from making really stupid decisions and being overly complicated.

RPG Administrator

it's like a bit of a Paradox?

i mean, I'm not totally against following the canon games to some degree, cause without that, it wouldn't even be considered a fan game. But i also don't like everything that canon games go for. Like, i can see how those items Zenith mentioned disappeared, because they actually become part of the pokemon, like Rypherior, but being used up after it's done just doesn't seem to fit the Rivalry Orb.

Personally, i could see a whole storyline behind the rivalry, dating back to pre-civilization, about Zangoose and Seviper once being friends, and using the orb together to get stronger, but not so one can beat the other. Then some incident happened when humans entered the scene, whereupon the orb was broken, over a fight two humans had over which were better, poison, or normal, which continued to the present day, each half passing down thru the generations of each trainer's family, leading down to the two leaders, and this same incident lay the foundation for the Zangoose/Seviper rivalry.. And just for story line's sake, and to make the fact that each gym has the evolution of them able to be so, we'll say the orb was split unevenly, and therefor part of the poison half remained in the Normal half, and vice-versa. Only thru extensive exposure, I'm talking years, did each leader's pokemon evolve. However, for times sake, it would simply be easier to unite the halves, and get near instant evolution, without losing the orb...Maybe afterward, the conjoining of the orb would help spur the two leaders to try and reconcile their differences. I'm thinking some elder from a remote village that still uses old magics would be the one to unite the halves...In fact, I'm thinking that to do so, both pokemon, and for story sake, both leaders must be present for it to work, and this is how they reconcile.

I dunno. just a random thought of how it could come to be. Of course, the story could delve further, to tell how the orb itself came to be, but that's up to you guys.
    Last edited by NyteFyre; 10-18-10 at 02:51 AM.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I'm not sure about developing a whole storyline. Any information about all of that will have to come through in little bits from the gym leader and/or the gym trainers, otherwise it becomes overly complicated for a simple item, and it feels a little forced. I mean, we can allude to a long-standing issue, and having the poison bits and normal bits will certainly explain how the leaders could evolve their Pokemon. But I would stop it where you did.

Zenith said he working on something, so I want to see what it is before progressing much farther. But I think we are pretty set on switching the fighting gym to normal, which will still fit in Kalypso, where I had suggested be the site of the fighting gym. To re-iterate what they were:

Normal -Kalypso
    Poison -Laysan
    Sedcini -Dragon
    Light -Portwind
    Rock -Enechestra
    Dark -Aquapolis

As of right now, are there any that people want to change?

Administrator

Poison at Laysan? Laysan's the clean-air small town of Topaz, kind of like Verdanturf. It seems a little out of place. I'd almost rather switch Laysan with Portwind.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

But Laysan is all berries and stuff. Berries can be used to make poison. And, I really wanted to have the Light gym in a city with a lighthouse, so if you're set on Poison in Portwind, I'd prefer to have Light in Gallea.

I thought Cetacea would be more Vendanturf-y than Laysan.

Administrator

Laysan Town is a mountain town similar to Verdanturf, whereas Cetacea is right by the sea. It does make a difference, even geographically since larger towns do tend to be near waterways.

The lighthouse does provide the justification I was looking for, though.

Laysan would work better with the Nomal gym; we could turn it into a farming village. More on that later this week, when I don't have a ton of homework. >_>

I have plans for Portwind. More on that...also later this week.

We still need somewhere for the Dragon gym. Once again, later this week.

And I like the whole backstory behind the Rivalry Orb...at the very least, as a myth. Nyte made a good point about how the other item-evos incorporate themselves into the 'mons. We just need to make sure to emphasize that the Rivalry Orb doesn't.

Administrator

Laysan Town is a farming village.

Sedcini sounds fine for the Dragon gym, have you been reading or skimming?

Long story short, I was thinking of expanding Soma Island into a village and having the Dragon gym there. If we gave the player a plot-related reason to go there it'd also give the player a reason to explore the southwest part of the map, as there isn't one right now. It would replace Portwind--you said yourself that it's just filler right now--and I have an idea of what would go there in its place. Unfortunately, I still don't have enough time to elaborate on it...I'll be able to on Thursday.

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Reliability View Post
    All in the 4th generation. Up until that point, it simply was not the case. It depends whether we want to bring that in from the 4th generation as well, or keep it like it was before. I was never a fan of having starters in the teams, but that's just my personal preference.
    In FR/LG many trainers (not gym leaders but...) had starters.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I meant leaders, since that's what we're discussing here. I don't like having them in trainer teams either, but that's not as big of a dislike.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Long story short, I was thinking of expanding Soma Island into a village and having the Dragon gym there. If we gave the player a plot-related reason to go there it'd also give the player a reason to explore the southwest part of the map, as there isn't one right now. It would replace Portwind--you said yourself that it's just filler right now--and I have an idea of what would go there in its place. Unfortunately, I still don't have enough time to elaborate on it...I'll be able to on Thursday.
    I waited.

Pacificlog in RSE and the Seafoam islands in FR/LG were of the same cloth: the first time I played through each, I didn't even go there. :/ Sedcini is more appropriate for a Dragon gym, and it doesn't require a lot of travelling. Do I need to stress again that this is already a VERY long game?

For Poison, I can rationalize Gallea. It's all shipbuilding and industry, which causes a lot of pollution. The gym leader is trying to control this, as he/she knows the destructive power of poison.

(In case you didn't know, here are the rationales for the others:
    Kalypso -Normal: Normal Pokemon can be associated with happiness, which seems to be the general connotation of the city... Fighting had a better reason -.-
    Gallea -Poison: as pitched above
    Portwind -Light: A twin lighthouse to the one in Olivine, also acts as a possibility of introducing Jasmine as a character.
    Sedcini -Dragon: Caves=dragons.
    Aquapolis -Dark: Bottom of the sea is dark.)

"We nicknamed her Bean"

NOW THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS, A BABY IS COMING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND STAB YOU TO DEATH IN YOUR SLEEP BECAUSE OF ALL THE DEAD PUPPIES! U MUST NOW RESPOND WITH A SIMPLE "HELLZ YES" OR "HELLZ NO" TO THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT:

Are these locations okay, or do we need to visit further alternatives?

AND THEN FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE THAT HAS NOT POSTED IN THIS TOPIC AFTER FOUR DAYS OR THE BABY WILL GET YOU WITH IT'S SLEEP-DEPRIVED, BLOOD SHOT EYES!!! SO MANY TANTRUMS!!!

[note that any additional comments would be appreciated by this killer baby, but are not required to appease him. ^.^ Thanks!]

Secret Agent

Not exactly sure about Kalypso, but the others are fine as long as there are Grimer or Muk (if we have them, otherwise something similar) near Gallea or when surfing in the town.

BAD EVIL BABY!!! TIME FOR A TIME-OUT!!!

RPG Administrator

The locations, i'm perfectly fine with.

Administrator

Fine by me.

Resident Composer

NOW THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS, A BABY IS COMING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND STAB YOU TO DEATH IN YOUR SLEEP BECAUSE OF ALL THE DEAD PUPPIES! U MUST NOW RESPOND WITH A SIMPLE "HELLZ YES" OR "HELLZ NO" TO THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT:

Are these locations okay, or do we need to visit further alternatives?
    erm... HELLZ YES!
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

NOW THAT YOU HAVE READ THIS, A BABY IS COMING TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND STAB YOU TO DEATH IN YOUR SLEEP BECAUSE OF ALL THE DEAD PUPPIES!
    okay thats it!
    reliability, i'm booking you a place in the nuthouse
    nah i'm just kiddin'
    HELLZ YES!
    TRPG profile

3DS Friend code: 3711-7748-4916
    I has X, Looking for Y stones, will trade for good stuff.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Gallea: The gym leader sees the pollution and issues of the big city of Colussus. Not wanting Gallea to become what Colussus has, the leader refuses to let industry advance beyond a certain point, only allowing very basic, non-emission creating machinery to exist in the city, as the leader
    ----
    Names that need to be reduced down:
    Dragon: Drake, George, Matthew, Wolfe
    Poison: Bella(donna), Ivy, Nightshade, Bane, Daphne
    Rock: Rocco, Jasper, Crys
    Ghost: Tod(d), Aura, Tom, Guy, Echo, Arachna, Elvira, Endora, Tabitha, Morticia, Hilda, Morticia, Poe, Vlad, Regan, Lucifer, Igor, Herman, Damian

Names still need to be generated for:
    Normal: Ayita, Tiva

I started with two names that mean "dance." But we can go with any vein we want with the gym leader. That's just what came to mind for me.

For the ones that already have suggestions, please choose you favourite two, and we can vote on those when people have selected. If you have a suggestion that you like better than anything in the mix, include it as well, and if its super spectacular, I'll throw it in when we vote.

Personally,
    Dragon:George, Wolfe
    Poison: Bella, Daphne
    Rock: Jasper, Crys
    Ghost: Aura, Poe
    Last edited by Reliability; 11-17-10 at 12:06 AM.

RPG Administrator

I was Thinking that Ivy and Drake are already in use, canon wise, and it would be awkward to use more than once.

Dragon: Matthew, or Wolfe
    Poison: Shade (cut night out cause that would name her after a pokemon move), or Belladonna, i can't stand the name Bella alone. (ugh...twilight...-shudder)
    Rock: Just Crys
    Ghost: (Poe sounds awkward alone, and makes me think of Ocarina of Time)I like Aura, and Vlad better.

Secret Agent

Dragon: Drake, Wolfe
    Poison: Bella, Ivy
    Rock: Jasper, Crys (We need a female rock gym leader, rock is usually reserved for male trainers/leaders)
    Ghost: Damian, Edgar (We need a male ghost gym leader, same as above)

Normal: John, Jane (doesn't getmore "normal" than that)

RPG Administrator

What about the chick in Rustoboro, Roxxane or whatever it was?

And we had Morty in G/S/C.

Funny thing, I used to go by the names you picked for Dragon. lol

For Normal, I was thinking Horeshio, or......Travis for some reason.

Resident Composer

Dragon: Wolfe
    Poison: Bella
    Rock: Jasper
    Ghost: Poe

Normal: Norma (I know, there already is a 'Norman', but... :P), I also like Jane.

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

I was under the impression that we were still gonna have a Ghost E4 member...

Seconding Bella and Jasper for the Poison & Rock leader names.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

We are.
    He/she hasn't be named yet, so I figured we'd save time by grouping the discussion in with the gym leaders. But the fact that the ghost e4 is in face e4 was made clear by all previous posts, so there is really no need to be confused.

Administrator

Jasper and Bella sound good.

I'm fond of George as a name for the Dragon-type Gym Leader but is it likely that people will get the reference? They might think that it's a joke or something (I would certainly assume so if I saw a powerful gym leader named Bob, say.)

...Well, I'm not seeing the reference. >_>

Depends on what we go with. If we make Soma Island a town and put the Dragon gym there, we're gonna need something a little more mystic sounding.

Secret Agent

...Well, I'm not seeing the reference. >_>
    Nor I.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

http://www.kellscraft.com/stgeorge.html
    Essentially, he's the subject one of the original dragon slaying legends.

Administrator

Yeah, George is a really clever name for a Dragon-type Gym Leader, and I like it because it's such a common name yet so perfect. It'd be a shame if we can't use it, though I would understand if we don't end up doing so.

Resident Composer

I like George, especially due to how clever the reference is. However, I prefer Wolfe because I'm not sure that most people would catch the reference and therein would lose a lot of its intention. Looking at it from an outsider's perspective, I'd think it was some lame joke. But, that's just me. ^^'

Dragon:George, Wolfe or Drake
    Poison: Bella or Bane
    Rock: Jasper
    Ghost: Aura, Todd or Vlad
    Normal: Norman, Norm, Jayne or John

"We nicknamed her Bean"

We can't use Drake, as that was the RSE dragon E4's name. Norman was a gym leader in RSE, which takes out Norm as a possibility as well.

I DO really like that Jayne spelling of "Jane" though. it certainly makes it a little less bland while still keeping the general idea. That is my current favorite for Normal.

I figure I'll throw up a poll (singular) for all of these in a day or two. Obviously we can switch them later on if we come up with somehting better, but if you have any more ideas or haven't voted yet, lets hear them now.

Current leaders:
    Dragon: Wolfe and George
    Poison: Bella is really the only big one, but Bane, Ivy and Daphne have also been mentioned.
    Rock: Jasper and Crys
    Ghost: Poe, Aura and Vlad

Current suggestions for Normal:
    Ayita, Tiva, John, Jane, Jayne, Travis, Horashio

If people want to single out two of the normal favourites (or make more suggestions) in the next couple days as well, that would be awesome, and we can get these done.
    As a side note:
    Last edited by Reliability; 11-19-10 at 08:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread