+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: new site design

Secret Agent

Quick and to the point:

Looks great.

I like Pyroon.

Lupine might look better (if possible) in the bottom right. Then it kind of follows the border of the page, if that makes any sense. (It's reverse L-shaped, as is the bottom right corner...)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannigon64 View Post
    Would it be possible to make GFX's icon be Pyroon and the Forums icon be Firrel?
    Great suggestion. That should help balance out the color scheme nicely. I'll do it and see how it looks after I finish updating the CMS and portal pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Irot_Rebod View Post
    One thing I will say, I know we're trying to avoid GFX and SFX next to each other, but "Sounds" looks a tad less professional than SFX would, in my opinion.
    If anybody has any ideas on what to replace GFX or Sounds with, to avoid the dual FX thing, I'm open to it. I've tried looking up synonyms for 'sounds' but nothing works (either too long or doesn't fit).

I'm lovin' the quick progress you are making... maybe I should take a hint and compose some more... hmm... >_>
    Indeed.

Edit: Sorry Cyndadile, I missed your post. Didn't realize there was a Page 2. Hate when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndadile View Post
    Lupine might look better (if possible) in the bottom right. Then it kind of follows the border of the page, if that makes any sense. (It's reverse L-shaped, as is the bottom right corner...)
    If I understand right... basically you want me to redesign the whole thing and move the sidebar to the right? Yeah, no.
    Last edited by zeroality; 02-13-11 at 01:29 AM.

RPG Administrator

I think he meant to simply replace the Ferrian Pic with Lupine, and place Ferrian in Lupine's original spot.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Spriter and Gym designer

If I understand right, then this is what Cyndadile wants. You see the large light blue rectangle just below the things that say "Sprites", "Pokedex", etc, and to the right of Lupine, Vilephist, and Blitsfaust? I think he wants Lupine's pic to be in the very bottom left corner of said light blue rectangle, behind anything that might be displayed there (e.g. sprites).

Administrator

It looks amazing with Pyroon. It just fits in stylistically so well.

Administrator

NyteFyre and Tyrannigon, we'll see which one of you wins the grand prize when Cyndadile responds to clear it up.

Sorry, I got caught up talking to an old friend for a while but I got the CMS installed and got a page up:

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites/

Now you guys can see what it looks like with actual content on there. I haven't switched Pyroon/Firrel yet but I will. Next step is to make the navbar live, then portal pages, then ze content.

Then finally after all that is done, I need to decide what links should go on the sidebar. Oh and adding credits/home links of course, and the IE fixes.

Edit: Btw, here is part of what will be our new custom 404 page: Ampure is shocked!

Spriter and Gym designer

That's pretty cool! Also, the 404 page is hilarious.

YES!! I can finally see the sprites and know what everybody is talking about when they mention a pokemon!
    ö¿ö

Secret Agent

This is going to be difficult to explain...

One idea: flip lupine to face the other way.

The thing I said before:
    Might not be possible. What I was talking about was basically removing lupine from the sidebar and putting it at the bottom right corner of the screen. If that still doesn't make sense, point to the time on your screen (you know, the display at the bottom of your screen, in windows at least, where you look if you are wondering how long you have been playing a computer game and are beginning to think that maybe its about time that you should take a break). I think Lupine would go well just about there.

Administrator

[stuff]
    Yeah, alright I understand now.

And I'm assuming the reason for this is because of the direction in which Lupine is facing? Hmm I was about to type out various problems with that idea but as I thought of a problem, I'd think of a solution for it. So I don't know...

I was going to say that if the page is too long then people won't see it but realized I can make it a fixed background, staying in the same place regardless of page length or scrolling. Then I thought 'what can I replace it with' then realized Phoenixsong's Whispaw would probably fit in with the style of Blizfaust/Vilephist.

Still, I don't know though. What do you guys think? I'd need a consensus before I do this.

Honestly I think you should just build the site the way you think it looks good then we can all look at it when it's done. It is hard to judge the final product by its intermediate stages. IB will probably hate me for this, though.
    ö¿ö

RPG Administrator

Personally, I agree with Rhino on this. I prefer to critique the "final" product, instead of throwing around random ideas in the middle that may or may not work, and could potentially waste the creator's time.

Right. I think zero could get it done much faster if he didn't have to ask for consent with every single change.
    ö¿ö

Administrator

Please don't make assumptions about what I hate and what I do not. As it happens, I have no reservations about commenting upon an entire site after it's done, or for zero to implement whatever changes he likes before posting for opinions.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MeekRhino View Post
    Right. I think zero could get it done much faster if he didn't have to ask for consent with every single change.
    I'm looking for opinions, not consent. Besides this is the community's site so you guys should be involved with the design phase.

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/site/worktemp.html

I think the Lupine thing is working really well now, I like it. Not so sure about the sidebar, thoughts on that?

Switched Pyroon/Firrel and added Credits text. I agonized over that one. I tried all kinds of text effects and even tried putting a navigation bubble under it but that looked horrible due to Ferrian being bigger than the rest. Finally settled for what's up there now.

Go ahead and comment, critique, suggest - I'll be working on the other stuff.

Resident Composer

Looks pretty good - I like where Lupine is now.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the difference in color between the background of Lupine and the body area of the page don't quite match.

Same thing with the bottom sidebar and header, they are darker than the footer. Again, I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is noticeable.

I like the effect with the Credits on Ferrian. At first I thought the flow didn't work, but the more I look at it, it grows on me.

The sidebar might be a bit cluttered now, but I may just need some time getting used to it. XD

Lookin' good, sir.
    Haven't checked out the Pokemon Topaz Soundtrack? Click HERE!

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

Sorry IB, didn't mean to assume.

Yeah, that's looking really good.
    ö¿ö

RPG Administrator

Everything looks ship shape, and ready to go! Only concerns are a few small things that Irot already noticed.

Secret Agent

I like that very much. My only problem is that I feel like there should be a Jirachi somewhere.

Spriter and Gym designer

That looks much better!

Administrator

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the difference in color between the background of Lupine and the body area of the page don't quite match.

Same thing with the bottom sidebar and header, they are darker than the footer. Again, I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it is noticeable.
    Might be due to the PNG compression method I used to reduce file sizes. Can anybody take a screencap for me? It doesn't seem to show up on my monitor.

I like that very much. My only problem is that I feel like there should be a Jirachi somewhere.
    Jirachi is prominently featured in the news feed, which will be on the index page.

I wanted to avoid using non-Topaz-made graphics in the design - but Phoenixsong still owes ImmunityBow a couple pieces of art from the contest he won on DA some months ago.

We've asked rp to contact her to get a piece done for now, and I asked for it to be Jirachi so if we can get a good piece then I will probably put it in the sidebar or something.

Resident Composer

I hope I'm not breaking any rules about image sizes... I can't seem to find the specs. ^^'

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1815/screencapug.png

You can see the colors don't quite line up. They're close... but ever so slightly off.
    Last edited by zeroality; 02-15-11 at 11:58 AM.

Like my music and still want to hear more? Check out my compositions at IR's Music Corner!

the Dragon Master

I wish to point out that I'm back at the library (my pc died and wont turn on--dont know why yet) and i have to use IE but i'm not sure which one is currently being used...
    I looked at some of the links but they wont work. The 404 page worked but the other links wont work (for viewing the toolbar)
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Secret Agent

It doesn't work on IE yet. It isn't compatible with HTML...5, was it? But I think that it will work on IE by the time that it is finalized. Until then, I (or someone else) could post some screenshots for you. Irot posted the most recent one.

the Dragon Master

kay...
    I understand that it wasnt going to work with IE but I figured that I would let y'all know where I'm at when i look at it.
    I think they have IE 8 but i'm not sure...
    nvm they're using IE 7 cause i just went to the microsoft website and it wants me to download IE8

Administrator

I don't see the colour discrepancy on Firefox 3.~

Resident Composer

Interesting, I am also on Firefox 3. Hmm...

RPG Administrator

I have latest Firefox, aside from the Beta. I don't see the bad parts.

Administrator

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/sprites/

Color thing should be fixed, it was a problem with gamma channels in PNG images. Navigation should work 100%. Site should work in IE8/7/6 - albeit no transparent PNGs in 6.

Pages up so far:
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites/
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonbacksprites/
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/trainersprites/
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/storyline/ (were these supposed to be ellipses? pasting from .doc is never a good idea)
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/credits/ (need help getting this up-to-date, post who should be added/moved/italicized)

Edit: Oh yeah, I couldn't get Lupine to scroll properly so it anchors the bottom for now. Might fix later.

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    Edit: Oh yeah, I couldn't get Lupine to scroll properly so it anchors the bottom for now. Might fix later.
    No, don't fix that, it looks better this way, IMO. Either way, that is really awesome! One suggestion, instead of "Sounds", you could put "Audio".

Why are we missing two backsprites?
    ö¿ö

Spriter and Gym designer

From what I remember, there's been a lot of trouble with Arowana and Vilephist back sprites.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

X-Antibody did a bunch of stuff so we have usable versions of the stuff we're missing, as well as some improvements to previous sprites. They were going to go up on the repository, but I got lazy and then it crashed. I've taken them, added them to my files and put them into proper format to be added/replaced:

Kraklaw hasn't been formally approved, since we have to make sure we're definitely using the new front sprite. As soon as I finish posting this, I'll throw up a topic to vote on them.
    Last edited by Reliability; 02-15-11 at 05:59 PM.

RPG Administrator

Hey, I thought STT was also doing Music stuff? How come he isn't in the credits for Music?

Also, you're missing IB in the last set of credits, I believe. Meek Rhino and Tyrannigon should be added to Special Thanks, too. I'd suggest adding yourself to the Programmer's section, sometime, Zero, since you ARE studying Ruby code. RP should go under Forum Maintenance, I believe, He helps IMMENSELY around here, post and sub-forum wise. Also, Is RP's brother ever one anymore? I would Italicize Medioctrity, if he's not. Reli has helped a TON with story production, so he should go there. Phoenixsong is no longer Active, it seems, and Havoc Wraith I haven't seen in months.

One thing I've been wondering...how different is Ruby code from Action Script? I'm learning that in school currently.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    No, don't fix that, it looks better this way, IMO.
    ^Agreed.

Also, I believe Quinn and MewLover EX should be italicized, and Reli should also be under project leaders.
    And you missed the first D in Cyndadile.

You've done a lot of work on it!

Spriter and Gym designer

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    I'd suggest adding yourself to the Programmer's section, sometime, Zero, since you ARE studying Ruby code.
    What are you learning Ruby code from? I'd like to learn it myself. Are you learning from a website that I could use to learn?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Hey, I thought STT was also doing Music stuff? How come he isn't in the credits for Music?
    This was an old list, pre-STT. That's why zero asked, as this is a good time for an update.

But I think Nyte and Cyn hit everything. I'll give it a more thorough reading in a bit, but I don't think I see anything else glaringly wrong.

the Dragon Master

it looks great so far, and as they pointed out i had thought someone was missing but i couldnt remember the name immediately (forgive me there STT for that) other than that i cant see anything wrong with it...

Administrator

NyteFyre got most of it, I'm pretty sure zero does enough around here to definitely be one of the project leaders too, all things considered. Piro should probably be italicized now, too.

Administrator

One thing I've been wondering...how different is Ruby code from Action Script? I'm learning that in school currently.
    They are similar but Ruby is primarily a stand-alone programming language while ActionScript tends to be used to supplement something like Flash. You can get more detailed explanations of each by looking up the relevant wikipedia articles.

What are you learning Ruby code from? I'd like to learn it myself. Are you learning from a website that I could use to learn?
    I was planning on using this QuickStart guide to get going then move on to the more detailed tutorials.

changes to Credits
    Thanks. I did all of what was suggested except for adding ragingprimeape to Site/Forums maintenance. I'm not trying to hog it or take anything away from what rp has done but the true definition of that section was primarily for web/forum design and coding. I changed it to Development to be more specific. I'll also hold off on adding myself in as a programmer until I actually compile something.

I added oykawoo to 'Immense Contributions' since I'd call making pretty much all of the art used in the site/forums design a big contribution. I also added Malphis under special thanks, I guess that was overlooked before.

Speaking of which, I'd like to trim and condense some of these sections.

I think the 'current contributor team' is unnecessary as anybody can go to the forums and view the Contributors list. It's also a bit vague as to who should be on it and who shouldn't so I'd like to remove it altogether. All these people are listed in their own sections or under Special Thanks anyway.

Another thing, I'd like to combine the Special Thanks and Immense Contribution sections. The reason being that most of the people in "immense contribution" are listed in their own sections for their respective type of work. Some of the people in that list are a bit questionable and conversely, there are some people in Special Thanks that could qualify for the other list.

I don't like the idea of saying one single person is more important than the other, or that moving from Special Thanks to Immense Contribution is some kind of promotion. It's not a popularity contest and we need to remove Immense Contribution to reflect that. We can move everybody there into Special Thanks - and the other contributions they have provided for the project are reflected in their respective sections.

Hope you guys agree?

I will change Sounds to Audio - good idea. Also going to leave Lupine anchored to the bottom of pages as suggested.

Didn't get much sleep today so I'm gonna relax and go back to bed in a bit. Will work more when I get up.

+ Reply to Thread