Closed Thread

Thread: I'm making a game of my own

Default I'm making a game of my own

Hi guys, I am learning java and i decided that i would make a MMO pokemon game. I'm currently not that far along in the project, only two days into it and i am at the point where i will be needing some sprites. I do not need any of your custom pokemon/abilities/etc. but i see that there are a lot of sprite from the real versions that someone went through the trouble of ripping. So if the owner of the sprites could please send me a link with more sprites that would be great. I will of course give proper credit to anyone who contributes.

I have already talked to zeroality before posting this, i wanted to get his permission first because some people might consider this 'advertising' I know the team has worked very hard on making pokemon topaz and I will not use/steal any of the ideas or files without permission from the owner.

Go to http://img191.imageshack.us/g/ss1ur.png/ to see pictures of progress

Tell me what you think of the project so far and what you think needs improvement

Thanks,
    Tagal
    Last edited by Tagal; 02-21-11 at 10:12 PM.

the Dragon Master

really good, looks better than some of the stuff i've made...
    maybe we should get together sometime and work on it?
    i never actually thought that you could make stuff out of java btw i'm used to people using flash, rpg xp, game maker (a recent one i discovered and from what i've been able to access is very awesome) and a variety of game making programs...
    do you plan on adding things like new pokemon or is it just one of the previous regions?
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

Game Maker is spectacular. Also, I would be thrilled to be included in a new project (that is if you want help). I know several programming languages if you ever need help, and I have the entire sprite database cut up into 32x32 tiles for mapping.
    ö¿ö

Administrator

Hi Tagal, firstly I'd like to say that what you have so far looks really great. However, I don't think I, if not the rest of the Topaz community, could accept use of the Topaz sprites on another project unless we were very directly involved in the making of the project (or at least the aspects that are most relevant to Topaz). So unless both you and the rest of the community decide that we can have some kind of mutual working together on this topic or otherwise, the answer is no.

More community input is appreciated.

He doesn't want to use our sprites, he just wants a resource for the other ones (I think), like the earlier gen pokes.
    ö¿ö

Administrator

Ah whoops, serves me right for thinking the world revolves around Topaz >_<

Have you tried Spriter's Resource? That should have just about everything you need.

Administrator

Yeah I misunderstood what he wanted when he PMed me. I thought he was asking if he could use Topaz sprites.

Hope you can find what you need and good luck. Do reply back and let us know if that's what you needed.

I like Montekein's resource (could be spelled wrong), it includes all of the mapping sprites
    ö¿ö

yeah meekrhino got it right, i just need the current sprites

and i do not plan on adding any custom pokemon, abilities, etc YET but i do not plan on remaking one of the regions, I am going to plan on making a new region, one that more suites the mmo aspect rather than an rpg that you need to do in sequence. I only need the sprites that are up to but not including pokemon diamond and pearl because nintendo actually used a 3d engine when they wrote pearl and i cannot currently program in 3d

EDIT:
    And for now, i do not need much help yet. but i know i will need some in the near future. I am going to need someone to make the maps for me since i am not that great with designing things. I am working on my own mapmaker right now. As of right now, each region is 800x800 pixels or 25x25 32pixel squares the map is currently just a picture of a map, and i will be inserting a grid file which tells the client which grids he/she can and cannot step in and it will be loaded by the server then sent to the clients(to prevent 'wall' hacking)

Almost forgot, another thing i need: sound files!

Example of Grid file:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XOOOOOOOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    OOOOOOOXOOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    OOOOOOOOOOXXXXXOOXOOOOOXX
    OOOOOOOOOOXXXXXOOOOOOOOOX
    OOOOOOOOOOXXOXXXXXOOOOOOX
    OOOOOOOOOOXXOXXXXXXOOOOXX
    OOOOOOOOOXXXOXXXXXOOOOOOX
    OOOOXOOXOOXXOXXXXXXOOOOOX
    OOOOOOXOOXOOOXXOOOOOOOOXX
    OOOOOOOOOXOOOXXXXXXXOXXXX
    OOOOXOOXXXOXOOOOOXXOOOOOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOXOOOOOOOOOOXXX
    XOOOOOOOOOXXXXXOXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXOOOXXOXOOXOOOOX
    OXOOOOOOXOXOOOOOOXXOOOOOX
    OXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOXXOOOOXX
    XXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX
    OOOOOOXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOX
    XOOOOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    simple yet functional, O represents where u can go and X represents where you cant. I will later add funcionality to represent ice, and those cliff things that you can jump down from
    Last edited by Tagal; 02-22-11 at 05:20 PM.

Seems like a pretty simple way to go about the mapping. Are you going to use a two dimensional array to represent the spaces for the character? I think that's how I would do it.
    ö¿ö

yup, its a 2D array

Eighty More Posts

IF you ever need custom sprites i can supply some. I can also supply some intermediate short music that goes on an endless loop.

You can hold onto the custom sprites for now. I just want to get the engine complete for now, then we can worry about adding custom things. A good strategy for writing an online game is to not release everything at once, release things little by little to keep it real

I just want to say thank you to all of you for trying to help any way possible, thanks to immunitybow for the spriter's resource link, and thanks to the mods for letting me post here. Meek, i still have to check out Montekein's resource but i am a bit busy right now though. I know it'll be great though

I'm loling at your variable names. They remind me of my own, specifically 'grid' with xloc and yloc. I wish I could remember how to program java....it would take a couple days to refresh myself.
    ö¿ö

lol well what else should i name it?
    I'm learning java in high school right now so it is still all fresh in my head... actually, now that i think of it, the only thing that i learned in the class that i use in my programs are the basic stuff like 'if' statements. Everything else i learned on my own. My teacher is mad that i learned socket programming because i made a chat client that i can use to instant message with people in my class. But she knows the can't stop me lol

My programming teacher knows far less than I about programming. Literally. And he went to college for it. Speaking of chat, the easiest way is definitely html/javascript iframes (I believe that is the correct term)
    ö¿ö

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Yeah... now that we've got this cleared up, would you mind taking this conversation to PM? That would be super awesome, since this isn't Topaz related any more.

Locking.

Closed Thread