+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming Checklist

Coder

Default Programming Checklist

Things that need to be done for the Demo, in no particular order.

1. Compile the data needed for all of the Pokemon appearing (pokemon.txt) - Being handled by the community (Thank you!)
    2. Build all of the maps, and test them for errors - (Maps for demo are built, but testing needed
    3. Implement the new moves that will be appearing - About 1/4 moves have been coded.
    4. Implement the new abilities that will be appearing - To be done after moves are finished.
    5. Build the interior of each building - Being built along with the plot.
    6. Create all of the NPCs in the towns and buildings - Same as above; any ideas for NPCs are welcome!
    7. Create all of the battling trainers - Same as above.
    8. Set up the introduction - Completed.
    9. Implement the opening scene, up to choosing a starter - Completed.
    10. Implement the rest of the plot - Almost finished Neo Bay introduction.
    Last edited by Konrad; 12-23-11 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Updating the check list

Administrator

Whoops, I'm afraid you did a little bit of unnecessary work. We'll be starting off with the Poccil's Essentials Starter Kit, which will make life a lot easier since a lot of things are already programmed. There's also a wiki somewhere explaining a bunch of things on it. It's also best since Poccil knew the game mechanics inside and out and very likely did not miss anything in his kit. You might want to check it out first.

Coder

I wouldn't call it unnecessary, since it familiarized me with the Ruby syntax, but I'm glad that there's a strong starting point and I won't have to program every detail

I'll look over the kit in the morning and hopefully we can figure out where to go from there.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Questions for Zeroality:
    How should we store the data? I was thinking on using arrays with the pokedex number corresponding to the species of Pokemon. I planned on a multi-dimensional array(dex), with each sub-array holding the base stats of each Pokemon. Calling the data would be dex[pokedex number][data type]. I figured 0 would be the dex number so we could easily keep track of the data while editing it, and 1 would be the base stat array. What are your ideas?
    Poccil's should have that stuff taken care of. I actually don't know anything about Ruby programming. I had planned to start learning it in April and use Topaz as a learning project of sorts. You're still welcome to jump in, if you'd like. I won't be able to help until I get started with Ruby myself, and have a to-do list I need to take care of first.

Questions for the community:
    Are there any plans to tweak the mechanics? I assumed RSE for stats. I'd like to know if we plan preserving the way RSE dealt with EVs, IVs, damage, breeding, natures, etc.
    We want to use RSE mechanics for everything. The only exception would be the physical/special split for moves that D/P/P introduced. I'm thinking we'd have to modify Poccil's kit, and if it has arrays set up based off of the "ghost type is physical, fire type is special" thing then it could require quite a bit of modifying.

Information is scattered throughout the forums, so if you need something specific then one of us can dig it up for you.

I'm sending you a PM with some programming-related stuff.

Spriter and Gym designer

To be honest, I want to learn Ruby. Thing is, I haven't gotten a chance over the March Break (I'm not sure if Americans have March Break, so if you don't, it's basically a week long break from school) to learn Ruby, and I probably won't until summer when I have no homework. But I will try to learn it eventually.

RPG Administrator

In America, we call Spring Break. It varies from school district to school district, but it's usually somewhere in March/April.

As for Programming, It's great to see you getting started already. Poccil's Essentials, i myself know nothing about. I was hoping we'd have the Physical/Special split, even if it meant that there'd be extra codework involved.
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Spriter and Gym designer

We will be using the physical/special split. Proof here, last sentence of second paragraph.

Administrator

Also, most of the D/P move changes will be implemented. (Such as Leaf Blade's 20 BP boost, though I'm not sure if we were keeping Outrage's 120 BP).

Administrator

Outrage being bumped up in power is a bit broken but mitigated by the fatigue confusion effect, as well being locked into the move until the rampage ends.

I think Arowana and Malistril would be sad if we didn't put it in. :)

Also my post mentioned the physical/special split...

Administrator

Arowana has nothing to be sad about, it's got a ridiculous typing and ridiculous stats. Malistril will probably cope somehow too. It's Drakodo that will begin to have problems, but it doesn't have the speed for it either. Which I think is better. The better part of D/P was dominated by Outrage Dragons, and I really don't want that in Topaz's metagame.

Administrator

You got a point there. Perhaps make Outrage the same, only keep it at 90 BP instead of bumping to 120?

That will help keep it reasonable.

Ugh, we hijack threads a lot around here don't we?

RPG Administrator

yes, yes you do, BUT! It helps solve underlying problems, and more or less helps the game move along faster than normal.

Coder

Do I need to make a certain number of posts before I can edit them?

All thats needed to change the BP of most moves is a single edit, so it'll be easy to test both options. Just an idea, maybe 120 BP with recoil? Dragon moves are a little disappointing because they can't hit very hard.

Administrator

Dragon-types sacrificed power for the ability to hit nearly everything neutral. (Dragon/Fire was one of those magic typings, and Dragon/Ground is ridiculously good as well). In D/P they threw this mostly out the window, but it was there before. In fact, Ghost would often hit less hard (though it had more SEs) as well as Dark. Grass and Bug were the poor stepchildren but tons of stuff are getting Signal Beam in Topaz and Grass got Floral Storm, so typing balance isn't quite the issue any more.

Administrator

Do I need to make a certain number of posts before I can edit them?
    There's a time limit on editing. I think it's currently set to 30 min after post time. We've had issues with people editing out important posts/information/contributions so a limit was imposed.

Just post again if edit time has expired, it's no big deal around here.

Also here to say that I haven't gotten a response to my e-mail asking for the password to the Triad zip.

Edit: I think I'm opposed to adding in a recoil.

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    I'm opposed to adding in a recoil.

aut vincere aut mori

^

Why don't we boost them all (As in Thrash, Temper, Petal Dance, Outrage) to 100BP? That way it's still legitamate to use them over their lower powered but more reliable counterparts, and gives Physical Fires the power more they need.

Administrator

I just checked. Petal Dance is 70 BP in ADV but 90 in D/P.

Thrash is 90 in both. Temper is 85 in Topaz.

I guess an uniform boost to 100 would make sense, and make them all viable competitive moves.

Also noting that Temper states it is 2-4 turns while Outrage in D/P is only 2-3 turns.

Petal Dance is also 2-3 turns so we need to make the number of turns uniform as well.

aut vincere aut mori

I would stick with 2-3 turns honestly, 4 seems a bit much.

Coder

I'm working out the details of adding in the new Pokemon, moves, and type. What I need is a collection of all the sprites, backsprites, and shiny counterparts; the two icon images for each Pokemon; a list of each Pokemon's movepool; and an icon for the light type. Can someone point me in the right direction?

The good news is that its actually pretty straightforward to add the new content to the game. Whats going to take more time is the plot. I'm hoping there's a script somewhere with the plot or sketches of town layouts, roads, etc., but if that hasn't been worked out yet it's not urgent. The system is built to be flexible, so changes down the road will be easy to fix.

Administrator

I'm working out the details of adding in the new Pokemon, moves, and type.
    Didn't the files I sent you have pokemon.txt in them? The names, types, and stats should have been done.

What I need is a collection of all the sprites, backsprites, and shiny counterparts; the two icon images for each Pokemon; a list of each Pokemon's movepool; and an icon for the light type.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonfrontsprites/

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonbacksprites/

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonshinyfrontsprites/

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/open/ (shiny backsprites - not complete but i have more to add, will soon)

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/pokemonicons/ (not complete but i have more to add, will soon)

Pokedex Forum (should have movepools and information on all Pokemon)

The good news is that its actually pretty straightforward to add the new content to the game. Whats going to take more time is the plot. I'm hoping there's a script somewhere with the plot or sketches of town layouts, roads, etc., but if that hasn't been worked out yet it's not urgent. The system is built to be flexible, so changes down the road will be easy to fix.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/regionmap/

That has some information about cities and stuff. Most of it has been fleshed out, but is scattered so if you need something specific then one of us can hunt it down and gather it up for you.

Coder

Thanks! I'll get everything together and make sure its all in the right place.

EDIT: The pokemon.txt file has all of the info, but I'll need to reorganize it so it includes all 386 originals. Right now its strictly the topaz dex. I'm just going to delete all the data for gen IV Pokemon, since we won't be needing it.

Another Edit: The pokedex cannot display a national numbering in all the regions. The pokedex displayed will depend on the region defined. There can be any number of regions, but whenever the character is in Caldera/Kirant, the dex will only display pokemon for that region. There is one way around this limitation, and that would be to ditch a regional pokedex and simply use the national dex.

However, ditching the regional dex would put all of the new pokemon at the end, leaving 386 ??????? entries before the starter pokemon. Therefore, I propose that we reorder the national dex, putting the Topaz pokemon in the front and all of the others in the back to allow access to all entries of the pokedex in any part of the game. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Konrad; 03-24-11 at 05:18 PM.

RPG Administrator

hmm, well, what about how the Dex usually only shows up to the latest pokemon you've seen. Any way you could use that code to make it so it only shows Topaz pokemon, until National pokemon show up?

Coder

If you mean the way the handheld games do it, then sadly, no. Its a limitation of the starter kit. The pokedex version depends on the region of the map, and when you return to previous areas the pokedex will also revert.

Edit: For now, I'm going assign the Topaz pokemon numbers starting with 387. This can be changed later by adding in regional pokedex numbers, which won't affect any of the other programming.
    Last edited by Konrad; 03-24-11 at 06:49 PM.

Secret Agent

We could always just completely copy the map into two identical regions; you are in one when you have the national dex, and the other when you don't. Of course, that would waste alot of space...

Coder

Quote Originally Posted by zeroality View Post
    Is there a repository of .PNG images? Those are covered by transparent layers and I'd rather not rip every sprite one by one.

RPG Administrator

Actually, I still have the entire Dex of Topaz Exclusive pokemon that Zero gave me, if you'd like me to send it to ya via E-Mail.

Coder

That would be great! Its Konrad4th@gmail.com.

I merged all of the new Pokemon data into the main file and in order, but I have noticed that the information for all of the new Pokemon is almost identical to sandshrew. Most of it is data for the pokedex, but some other important stuff will have to be changed.

Here's an example of how the data is set up:
    Code:
    [1]
    Name=VENAP
    InternalName=VENAP
    Kind=MOUSE ~
    Pokedex=When it curls up in a ball, it can make any attack bounce off harmlessly. Its hide has turned tough and solid as a result of living in the desert. ~
    Type1=GRASS
    BaseStats=60,40,54,65,54,45
    Rareness=255 ~
    BaseEXP=93 ~
    Happiness=70 ~
    GrowthRate=Medium ~
    StepsToHatch=5120 ~
    Color=Yellow ~
    Habitat=RoughTerrain ~
    EffortPoints=0,0,1,0,0,0 ~
    Abilities=SANDVEIL ~
    Compatibility=5,5 ~
    Height=0.6 ~
    Weight=12.0 ~
    GenderRate=Female50Percent ~
    Moves=1,SCRATCH,6,DEFENSECURL,11,SANDATTACK,17,POISONSTING,23,SLASH,30,SWIFT,37,FURYSWIPES,45,SANDTOMB,53,SANDSTORM ~
    EggMoves=FLAIL,SAFEGUARD,COUNTER,RAPIDSPIN,ROCKSLIDE,METALCLAW,SWORDSDANCE,CRUSHCLAW ~
    Evolutions=SANDSLASH,Level,22 ~
    BattlerPlayerY=14
    BattlerEnemyY=15
    BattlerAltitude=0
    I tagged all the questionable data with a ~. The only fields not straightforward are compatibility, which is for egg groups/breeding, and kind, which shows up in the pokedex (for example, bulbasaur is the seed Pokemon).

Also, none of the older pokemon have any data changed, including move pools and evolutions. I'll be looking up all of the missing data and entering where necessary.

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by NyteFyre View Post
    Actually, I still have the entire Dex of Topaz Exclusive pokemon that Zero gave me
    This, kinda, but I got them centred. I think at least. http://s1.zetaboards.net/pokemon_unleashed

Just go to the emoticon list

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I merged all of the new Pokemon data into the main file and in order, but I have noticed that the information for all of the new Pokemon is almost identical to sandshrew. Most of it is data for the pokedex, but some other important stuff will have to be changed.
    That is... interesting. But it is likely that a lot of that stuff hasn't ever been entered. Sorry that it's so much extra work. It would have behooved us to do it before, since it's mostly copy and paste work that we can whore pretty much anyone out for.

Administrator

What you have there Konrad was the beginnings of us filling in things... except that no one wanted to do it. Maybe interest will be greater now. (I think there's a more up to date version of that file... with just the starters.)

As for the Regional Dex, for now, all we need is the Caldera/Kirant Dex. National Dex won't come for a very long time, if at all, and is entirely unimportant. When the time comes we can possibly rerelease the new dex along with the patches that would bring those Pokemon into the game.

Another important issue to look into is the possibility that the Starter Kit only works with 64x64 Pokemon sprites. In that case, the interface will have to be changes to work with 80x80 sprites.

I cannot begin to thank you for taking an interest in helping us program Topaz. I hope we can get you everything you need.

Administrator

That would be great! Its Konrad4th@gmail.com.
    I didn't think you'd have a problem ripping them or I would've done that sooner.

I'm going to update the site today, adding the shiny back sprites and icons. When I get that done, I'll go ahead and send you a zip with everything here. NyteFyre probably has it right but I'd like to make sure you have the latest version of everything.

Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Another important issue to look into is the possibility that the Starter Kit only works with 64x64 Pokemon sprites. In that case, the interface will have to be changes to work with 80x80 sprites.
    Only the icons are going to need to be 64x64. The battle sprites should be 128x128, but can be larger or smaller, however they may not fit as well. The BattlerPlayerY, BattlerEnemyY, and BattlerAltitude variables tell the program where to place the sprite during battles.

When I get the .zip from zero, I'll add and organize all of the sprites. For now, I'll assume a Topaz Pokedex, since we can patch the rest in later if we want to.

Administrator

x_x

Our icons are 32x32 and Sprites are 80x80.

However, I could just make 128x128 pngs and paste our 80x80 sprites in 'em and align. Might make things look a bit odd but at least we would have exact control over how the sprites align.

64x64 for icons seems freaking huge though wtf. Even official Nintendo icons aren't that big...

Anyway, I'm working on aligning the shiny backsprites to match the current backsprites then I will send the zip.

The icons will need to wait since I only got halfway through doing them before I got frustrated again. I'll need to talk to someone who knows about Pokemon icon animation. >_>

I'll post again (or edit this) once I get the zip sent.

Administrator

Actually 64x64 for icons is exactly correct. RPGMaker requires all the sprites to be doubled in size, so the 80x80 sprites should actually be 160x160. They still should be made in 32x32 and 80x80 because that's the level of detail necessary, but that's where Konrad is coming from. (So each "pixel" in the large sprite is actually four of them in a square.) It should scale perfectly by turning the sprites into GIFs and simply resizing them, but only in such a doubling circumstance. From 80x80 to 128x128 is a little more difficult.

Administrator

So who's the silly sod that got us moved from 64x64 to 80x80 sprites then?

Anyway e-mail sent. Front sprites and back sprites. Icons to come later. Post if you need anything else. Sorry it took so long, some of the shiny back sprites weren't aligned properly and some of the regular back sprites were 79x79 by mistake so it took a while to fix everything.

Also did you get my message on your VM wall about the FTP account, Konrad?

Coder

I got it, but I'm waiting to actually have something worth posting before I upload anything. Right now, I'm organizing data and exploring the scripts in the kit.

EDIT: just checked your message again; didn't realize it was a question, but yes I would.

In regards to the sprite sizes, there is no need for the Pokemon to be the full image size. Many of the smaller Pokemon have a lot of whitespace around them.
    Last edited by Konrad; 03-25-11 at 05:33 PM.

Administrator

Gamefreak is the silly, since with D/P the sprites were upped from RSE standard 64x64 to 80x80. If I remember correctly Novoni started the trend of updating all our Pokemon to 80x80, but we can hardly blame her, and it gives so much more room for detail it's not even a question in terms of quality difference.

As to Konrad's comment, it's true that most Pokemon have at least some whitespace around them, but the issue is that all the sprites are scaled to 80x80. Because of this, if you double up the sprites they'll be too big, and if you leave them as is they will be on a scale in which one pixel is equal to one pixel, while the rest of the interface will have something more along the lines of one pixel being equal to four pixels. If you see it in practice, you'll see what I mean. If at all possible I'd vastly, vastly prefer that somehow the interface was resprited and recoded (we can help with the respriting) to work with 160x160 sprites, similar to the Diamond/Pearl setup. If it's not possible the next best option is to resize the 80x80 sprites to 128x128, which is not ideal by any stretch of imagination but will be what it is: second rate.

Coder

Good news!

There is a way to resize the interface to allow larger sprites. We will have to resize all of the graphics individually, but its probably easier than redoing 460 sprites.

Administrator

This is the point we got to with Fangking Omega. So, the most important thing is: dimensions. We need dimensions for everything, so that we can begin work on resizing them. I'm happy that you're bringing yourself up to speed so quickly, this is great!

+ Reply to Thread