+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tatterdemalion: Sunset Village

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Default Tatterdemalion: Sunset Village

Sunset Village was small, but luckily the Grey family had connections enough to manage. Aunt Charlotte had an old friend who had retired to the small village. The house was easy to find: pink roof, pink flowers in the window boxes and a bright blue door. The Dawson family crest hung out one of the upstairs windows on a gold tapestry, the black Dodrio embroidered perfectly, looking majestic as ever.

The Dawsons were an old family, much like the Greys, and one could find at least one far flung member of the clan in any region of the world if you looked hard enough. They had been rich as long as there had been profit in Dodrio farming for their feathers, but they hadn't been farmers for generations. They were investors now, every member who carried the crest a benefactor from the large fund of money invested in high-tech industry. It paid off enough to sustain the massive family, even a member as old as Ms. Cheryl Dawson. She could have a lot more than she got, but Ms. Dawson never believed in having much, only as much as she needed to be happy.

When Eliza approached, Ms. Dawson came out in her pink pyjamas. She was holding a candle that blew around even in the wispy breezes that drifted through the town like the long shadows the houses threw on the ground. But Eliza wasn't sure if she should be worried about the candle flame or its holder.
    Come inside Eliza, she said lightly. I don't believe you'll find my extra room much too uncomfortable, its fitted out quite nicely if I do say so myself. (They began walking into the house and up the spiral staircase. Ms. Dawson shuffled quite slowly) You see my granddaughter used to come and visit me from her home in Collossus City--I used to live there you see--but she has not come around for quite a few years and I do not know in the slightest where she could have run off to. She is such a gem and I really think you would enjoy meeting her. I think she would be about your age now, but I'm not quite sure, I'm sure you understand that families like ours can become quite big at times and its often hard to keep track of which child is related to you how much less how old they are exactly and when their birthdays are. Luckily I have Porygon to handle all of those sorts of things for me, remembering and whatnot. All I have to worry about it the cooking dear, and don't you worry about that. I'll have a nice hot meal waiting for you when you wake up tomorrow. Speaking of, are you planning on sleeping in much? If you do I may consider doing lunch instead, or brunch if that's more interesting to you. My granddaughter wasn't much for sleeping in I'm afraid, and wasn't one for much breakfast either, and I daresay not one for lunch... But of course I may have forgotten. Anyway here we are, here with the pink beadspread with the flowers. I believe I got that sent in from Hoenn, Silcoon spun of course. It always feels the nicest to me anyway, I don't know about you.
    Thank you, Ms. Dawson, and I will be up for breakfast, thank you. But I would like to be off in a hurry if you don't mi--
    No, no, I wouldn't hear of such a thing. You will stay and have a rest before you set off. It just wouldn't do if your aunt heard of that kind of hospitality. No, you'll stay until 10 o'clock at least, enjoy your breakfast, then be on your way. I have something to give you besides, so you better not rush off before you get it.

With that Ms. Dawson dissapeared from the doorway.

The night passed uneventfully. The wind kept the room cool and Eliza slept beautifully. The mattress was a little firm and the room smelled a little musty (the granddaughter must really not have been around) but it was a bed and Eliza was thankful she was in it. Exhausted, she barely managed to wake up before nine. She had bathed the night before, so she pulled on the new dress and folded the nightie she had borrowed neatly in the hamper before going downstairs. Ms. Dawson was sitting at the table, shaking pepper onto her eggs.
    It just came off the stove, she said, not turning her focus. Please eat as much as you can, then you can open your package.
    The package was wrapped in gold paper, the same colour as Eliza's sash, the Grey shade of gold (it was a few shades darker than the Dawson gold). Eliza quickly cleared her plate of the delicious breakfast, then took the package from the middle of the table and unwrapped it carefully. Inside was a satin sheet, formed around a Pokeball. Inside was a note, from Aunt Charlotte:

Eliza,
    Just wanted to make sure I got this to you before you got too far on your journey. I was worried when I found out that Mister Spencer did not make the trip with you, and even more so when I heard you had left for the journey walking on your own. I had planned to give this to you when you arrived in Softwind City, but I'm worried you may need it now. I call him Edward, after your late great-grandfather. He had a Gryphonic of his own and was a fantastic trainer. I hope you and Ed get along.
    Yours with love,
    Aunt Charlotte

P.S. Please write to your father. He is very worried about you.

Suddenly the Pokeball popped open and a Grific flew out. He cried with joy and flew around the room, seding the gold chadelier swining as he brushed past it. Ms. Dawson looked shocked, tapping her chair with her left hand. A Pokeball on the mantle released a Arachmare into the living room adjacent. Grific, apparently Edward, made another pass just as Arachmare launched into the air. It caught the rouge flier in its two front legs, landing softly on the cabinets and cawling down to the floor behind Ms. Dawson. Ed was asleep in Arachmare's arms, as if nothing had happened.
    I'm afraid you'll have to keep him locked up while in the house dear. Ms Dawson took her plate to the sink. Arachmare laid Ed in Eliza's arms. He was a fat little thing, but he seemed to move well. Until he got tired, Eliza guessed.
    Thank you for your hospitality, Ms. Dawson, but I think we had better go before Ed wakes up again. And I really need to make it to Chartree before tonight.
    Best to get a head start, I know.

Arachmare had taken Elizas plate and was now cleaning them along with all the pots and pans. Ms. Dawson scurried over to Eliza.
    I know that you'll be careful, but we will all tell you again and again to make sure that you are. That's what we old women do I guess, worry. We've had our adventures and our share of mistakes and we want you to be safer than we were. As much as I know that it robs your of the adventure, I hope that you fare well. Mistakes only bring sadness and loss.
    Eliza stood, shouldering her bag. Ed sleepily clung to Eliza's shoulder, eyes still closed.
    If you happen across any of my family, ask about my granddaughter? I would really like to see her again.
    Eliza nodded. She walked quickly to the door, and turned the brass knob. The sea breeze flowed in, hitting Eliza's face. She turned her head for a moment.
    What is her name?
    Allysa.

Eliza let her eyes adjust to the morning sun as she looked around to get her bearings. There were a few trails leading out of Sunset Village, and Eliza didn't want to run the risk of doubling back the way she came. Chartree Forest wasn't visible yet, and she needed reliable directions.

She decided to walk down by the water. There were a couple of elderly couples down there on the boardwalk, enjoying the crisp air and the sound of the waves. None of them seemed to notice Eliza, so she kept walking, looking for someone she could bother for help. She walked past a man who appeared to be sleeping on a beach chair. Suddenly he snapped up, sniffing the air.

You there! He said sharply. He got to his feet, towering over Eliza. She took a step backward, but could go no farther. The man was fishing, his pole wedged between the posts on the boardwalk. The line was loose, and he likely hadn't caught anything today because he didn't seem to be watching it.
    That Grific you've got seems real pudgy. What have you been feeding him?
    No-nothing. I mean, I just got him today. He was a gift from my aunt...
    I see. Well, it isn't right for Pokemon to be packing extra weight. Makes them sluggish and whatnot. Best to get him exercised out while he's young. It will do you some good in the future.

Battle with me. If you win, I can give you something...

Eliza nodded. The man walked over, putting some space between them. Ed had woken up, and Eliza turned to him.
    Alright Ed, let's see what you can do. Just let me know if you get tired and I'll pull you out. Okay?
    Ed nodded, seeming to understand. With a cry he barrelled out onto the battlefield. He glared intensely at the fisherman.

OOC: Optional sidequest time? :OOC

Secret Agent

The Fisherman glared back at Edward and clapped his hands. Come on out, boy! he shouted, and a thin, blue Water Pokemon burst out of the water. It landed before you on the boardwalk and twisted around, waiting for Edward to make the first move.
    [4] [Male] [20/20]
    [5] [Male] [23/23]

On Deck:

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Let's see what you can do, Ed. Try out a Peck.

Secret Agent

Ed dove onto the boardwalk and used his beak to pin down Trillogill's tail. The eel writhed underneath him, tearing the wound a little deeper, until he could twist around and send a stream of water at his captor. Ed was torn from the boardwalk and stumbled backwards into the water.
    [4] [Male] [12/20]
    [5] [Male] [17/23]

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Ed recovered, cheering as he flew back over the railing and back to Eliza's shoulder. He seemed okay, but as he began to beat his wings to take off again, Eliza rached up and held his foot to her shoulder. She knew Ed was probably fine to continue, but Eliza was worried about him. He didn't seem at all phased after taking damage, and Eliza didn't want her new Pokemon to outdo himself in its first battle.

I'm switching up my Pokemon, she called to the fisherman, reaching into her bag, to Echoise!
    Echoise quickly flashed onto the field, well rested after the night sleep. She was ready to go, and even let out an uncharacteristic battle cry charged with energy.
    Eliza smiled, confident.
    Tackle, Echoise! Let's show this guy how we operate.

Administrator

Trillogill didn't even stand a chance. Right out of her Pokeball Echoise rammed roughly into Trillogill, causing him to faint immediately.

[7] [Female] [31/31]
    [4] [Male] [0/20] [Fainted]

Echoise gained 11 EXP! Grific gained 16 EXP!

It wasn't over yet though, it was time for the much buffer Lotad to come out!

[6] [Male] [26/26]

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Lotad looked a little stronger than Trilogill had been, and though Eliza wanted to send Ed back in to finish the job like the fisherman wanted, she knew Echoise would have to bear the brunt of this fight.

Hit this one with another Tackle, just like last time. Soften him up for me, Echoise.

Secret Agent

Echoise rammed into Lotad, bouncing off his leafy hat. Surprised by the impact, Lotad let out a harsh growl, warning Echoise that he is not the kind of guy you want to mess with.
    [7] [Female] [31/31] [-1 Attack]
    [6] [Male] [21/26]

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Don't be threatened by him Echoise. Tackle him again.

Administrator

Luckily, Echoise was barely even intimidated. Her attack was barely even weaker than the last time. Lotad then let out an attack that wasn't even his type. Astonishing!

[7] [Female] [28/31] [-1 Attack]
    [6] [Male] [17/26]

"We nicknamed her Bean"

Eliza really wanted to switch Ed back in, but was a little worried he couldn't handle it. He had shown himself to only be energetic for a little while, and he would tire out quickly if Lotad proved to be too hardy.
    One last Tackle, Echoise! You've softened him up well, now send him flying!

Secret Agent

Echoise bounced forward and put all her weight into her attack. However, it wasn't enough to knock out Lotad. The sturdy little lilypad staggered back a couple of steps, then unleashed another harsh growl, making Echoise quickly retreat.
    [7] [Female] [28/31] [-2 Attack]
    [6] [Male] [13/26]

+ Reply to Thread