+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Light types? Fairy types? Mega Evolutions?

Coder

Default Light types? Fairy types? Mega Evolutions?

I've been wondering what everyone wants to do with the release of Pokemon X and Y since we began this. There is now a new type ans another type of evolution. Are these being included in our region or are we set in a time before X and Y? Also what are the differences between Fairy and Light types?

Better Than That Guy

What's Pokémon X and Y? The last Pokémon game released was either Emerald or Fire Red.

Secret Agent

There are a few differences between light and fairy, mostly in the type advantages and the kind of pokemon and moves that are light-typed.
    There may be some overlap; pokemon like Engil

could arguably be considered close to fairies, but for others, like Dolphure

who's thing is actually related to light, and doesn't really fit the mythical or pixie-like side of fariy, and Kuranpu

who actually relies on the balance of light and dark (fairy and dark really sorta throws off the whole concept), you can't really replace light with fairy.
    At the very least, we can't really remove light from Topaz. Should we try to take fairy into account as well? I don't know. Either way, that's something we should at least acknowledge to the player in-game; the existence or absense of fairies.

As for mega evolution, I've actually sorta grown to like the concept. However, I think that implementing it in Topaz woukd require an awful lot of reorganizing, and, since we are in the style of a third-gen game, may seem to come out of the blue. I think a lot of the plot would also have to be re-thought; there's no way the Orions and Rockets wouldn't think about using mega evolution against each other. Besides, there are currently only 4 or so pokemon in the C/K regional dex capable of mega-evolving. One of them, Absol, actually recieved a genuine evolution in topaz, Abyssus.

So we'd have to come up with enough new mega evolutions to justify having them in the game and rewrite the script. Doable, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile at the time.

People here like to talk about possible future expansions of Topaz, once the main game is released. If that is something we decide to do, I could definitely imagine mega evolution being one of the things added; it would probably work well as the main drive in a new plot a new conflict. But as it is, I think our time now is better spent on finishing what we've started so far.

That's my two cents. Or maybe more like ten cents, given how much I've written.

Better Than That Guy

No. It goes against the very core idea of Topaz: We can do better than DP+

aut vincere aut mori

I think it would be much better if we stuck to our guns regarding things like this. The core of the game is sort of a reimagining of what would have happened if Gen IV had gone a different direction than it did.

I honestly still wish that Gamefreak had gone with Light rather than Fairy as a type, Light is a much better name that encompasses a wider range of themes.

Coder

those ten cents are going a long way though. And i agree with you i didnt think merging light and fairy would work and i agree making mega evolves would be time consuming and not really fit too well.

Administrator

Agreed. If we are indeed going for nostalgia now it is probably better to stick the course.

Coder

So were beginning after Hoenn but before Sinnoh? Or somewhere else?

aut vincere aut mori

Yeah, it's basically after Hoenn, but before Sinnoh. We have the physical/special split, but that's about the only mechanic from Gen 4.

Overworlder (I think)

Like everyone else, I don't think we need Fairy types or Mega Evolutions in Topaz. Aside from the already mentioned time consumption, neither idea gels well with everything that's already laid out, like Team Orion and Kuranpu.
    http://www.pokemontopaz.net/ TOPAZ, AND PROUD OF IT!

http://www.pokemontopaz.net/forums/s...-Guy-s-Profile - My TRPG profile

Eighty More Posts

I mean, it's not like we can't do mega evolutions and keep a nostalgic feel. Abyssus could be m-Abslol. I feel like mega evolutions should be more than +stats also.

the Dragon Master

Given the design of the series, as a whole, the concepts of mega evolutions, and, the new fairy type, attempting such in this current game, would be a bit problematic. However, given that, Nintendo/game freak/Pokémon have managed to establish the fairy type, as a new type, and, that, this site has succeeded in establishing a light type, and, that, both are separate entities, it's not to say, that, topaz couldn't use both, but, I think, at least for now, it should just remain as light only.

As for the fairy types, I think work should be made towards figuring out how each type will stack up against both light and fairy. But, given the amount of work going into it, I think these should just be side notes used within this site, at least, for the duration of the making of the game, so, that, too much time and energy aren't used up in trying to rebalance the actual game, and, rewriting everything about it.

Mega evos, do sound like they'd be fun, but, I really think they should be left to just certain ones. Like, I can't really see the need to have every Pokémon, with an extra evolution like that. But, I could see certain ones, such as the more typically, UU's being given the mega form. Things like, miltank, and, tauros, would do well with them, as well as others with only the single evos.

However, throwing in a Pokémon, that happens to be a fairy type, would be interesting, but, idt it should be a crucial part of the game. Making it like a sort of promo the way Nintendo did with things like mew, and celebii, it could work. But, again, a lot of work going into attempting to rebalancing the game.

Okay, so, yeah, everyone does seem to agree with not mixing the two types yet. I'd say, we could start on working out the stuff for the expansions/sequel, but, the first game needs to be completed first, so, it's definitely out the window for now.

I think, for the moment, some side notes could be made, such as, making a chart, with all the official types, plus, the light type, to kinda get an idea, of what may come out of it. Nothing more needs to be done in the meantime, but, I'm sure, there's still loads of work just going into the game as it is. I can only imagine that, certain things, such as the various hold items would also be thrown off a bit, and, should players begin to use them in battle, then, they'll be a rather crucial part to the game, making it more unstable in its current state.

Though, I must ask, is fairy the only new type within the canon universe? I could've sworn they added another one, but, idk entirely, given how far behind I am in the series o.o
    Xbox: Y2K Virus
    PSN: Ryu-Tenno
    DeviantArt: LordStephen

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Though, I must ask, is fairy the only new type within the canon universe? I could've sworn they added another one, but, idk entirely, given how far behind I am in the series o.o
    Nope, Fairy is the only new one. I'm adamant that we should get rid of light, since we are so far behind it's unreal...but that's just me.

the Dragon Master

Lightbulb

Okay, so, i ended up modifying one of the type charts i had, because, i wanted to see how the Fairy and Light types actually matched up. Surprisingly, they're closely related, yet, still rather different in their designs.

now, obviously the question mark means unknown, but, i would imagine that they would just do normal damage to each other. Logically it makes sense that that would be the case (imo anyway).

So, i grabbed the info on each, from their locations. Fairy, came from googling the official Pokemon type chart, and the Light type came from the page that merely described what types Light was effective against, and weak to.

Now, I do think it is rather interesting, to see some of the resistances/weaknesses switch, according to type, because fairy is weak to one, while light is weak to another, right next to it.

I don't know, if the fairy type is even wanted at this point to be completely honest. I certainly think, that, it's a rather interesting type concept, and, truthfully, it's from a later set anyway, and Topaz, is meant to be a continuation on Gen 3. However, that said, the way the chart's set up, the only thing not worked out, is whether light and fairy are weak/resistant to each other, which, again, would most likely be neutral to each other.
    Coding is going to take a bit of work, given that people would now need to go in, and add the fairy type, and essentially re-balance the game. However, due to the existence of this chart, that may have been made a little easier for the programmers.'
    As I look at this chart right now, I can't say that the Light type should be removed, just because, it really is a different design over all. Both types have been balanced very well, and to be honest, there's no need to just replace Light with Fairy.
    I think that, it would be okay to add the Fairy type in later, but, again, due to the work involved, it would be best to leave it until the end of the game design, and likely add it in, as the concept of expansions has been worked out. This way, there would be little work involved when it would actually be implemented, and the rest of the bugs and such would be cleared up, from the main game as it's being worked on.
    Right now though, it should just be left at the Light type, just because, it's the focus for this game. I believe it could become too chaotic, too quickly, if the creators/designers/programmers aren't careful. They've already got plenty to do as it is, and it wouldn't be appropriate to overwhelm them with more work than they need.

However, i must say one thing: i dont know what will happen, should the team agree to have certain pokemon within the game, such as clefairy, as i believe they've been rebalanced to being fairy type. If they're added, then, i believe that this debate should be pulled back up, with, all arguments for and against it. I don't think it should be implemented without everyone on the team, at least, looking at everything and understanding what's going on by that point. Maybe it's not necessary, but I'd do it anyway, if only to be fair to everyone else.

okay so the system was being weird, and couldn't allow for the correct size, but, this is the best i could do, while still keeping it readable, if this is unwanted, then, I'll remove it if necessary (and able)
    Attached Files

Secret Agent

You know Blade Flight, I'm a little on your side here. Fairy has made me a bit uncomfortable about having Light but not Fairy. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of having Dolphure and Kuranpu around without the light type. And, to Merlin's point, I feel like the two types may have different effectiveness, but they sort of overlap when it comes to their theme.

the Dragon Master

Yeah, I did happen to notice a bit of an overlap with their themes. Had i been thinking, I would've cleaned up my reply early, and just say that. Lol
    However, again, the original design for this game, was to add the light type, and, help build it up, to make it different from the rest of the series in a way. I certainly understand the reasoning for removing light and possibly replacing it with fairy, but, as cyndadile has just mentioned, having certain Pokémon without their types, is gonna be a bit weird.
    On top of that, in tradition of big game companies, should everyone decide to switch the types being used, do know that, it will push the release date (whatever it may be at this point) back considerably, as any programmers you have, will now have to readjust the types and such in the game, after the developers have finally settled on wheresome of these Pokémon will go, if they're even kept anymore after that. It is possible for them to be dumped, in favor of earlier designs ajd concepts, that may work better under fairy type.
    While, this would certainly boost activity on here from that, idk if everyone really wants to go through all that work >.>
    However, on other aspect: you could potentially remove light and keep fairy out of it, which would make stuff a little simpler, however, rebalancing would be required.
    As for some rebalances:I imagine a few could be pushed over to electric, but, if you dont use fairy, I wouldn't know where some of the ones like unicrown would go.
    So, I guess, depending on whether or not you want to go with more work, or less work, will pretty much determine keeping light or adding fairy.
    If you want though, give. That I'm looking at some of the stuff for the game, I could potentially work out the fairy type for a few things, but, I wouldn't really be able to guarantee anything.
    Yeah, looking back at the conversation so far, its best to just leave it be for now. Given time, I'm sure we could add the fairy type later.
    Unless.... We could potentially make a few different versions, with each aspect. Like, one has light, one has fairy, one has both, and one has neither. Again, loads of work.

Administrator

Topaz has pretty much been designed around the Light-type, not just in its mechanics and moves but also in Pokemon cycles and especially in the storyline. As always I think it's counterproductive to play catch up with the newer generations.

the Dragon Master

ah, i figured that would be the case.
    And, i do agree, it would be rather counterproductive to catch up, especially now, given that, there's been a ton of work put into this project

Better Than That Guy

I'm dead set against fairy. Add fairy, lose a programmer. #Extortion

stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian View Post
    I'm dead set against fairy. Add fairy, lose a programmer. #Extortion
    That ain't right, dude.

Overworlder (I think)

Hahaha...

No dude.

Overworlder (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Yeah, looking back at the conversation so far, its best to just leave it be for now. Given time, I'm sure we could add the fairy type later.
    I agree with this. Let's focus on finally putting out something after all these years. Then we can focus on other stuff, hopefully with more new and productive members.

Also, great job Merlin. You're a wizard.

Better Than That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Flight View Post
    That ain't right, dude.
    The hashtag was supposed to show I was joking. Apparently it failed. It will be fired.

+ Reply to Thread