+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiers Speculation

uh-ohs

Default Tiers Speculation

Its fun to talk about, anyway. There are different levels of competitive battling. This is where we say what level we think certain pokemon will be placed in. There are six:

Uber
    OU-overused
    BL-borderline
    UU-underused
    NU-neverused
    NFE-not fully evolved

I think we all agree that Raiger will end up in Uber. Nimbolt will be OU because of its ability.

Not your grandma's nerd

My rough-ideas list is as follows (not alphabetical yet)

NU:
    Cascadet
    Jalsida
    Ditto
    Kondria
    Venomoth
    Flareon
    Yanma
    Corsola
    Octillery
    Scorchion
    Arachmare
    Misdreavus
    Torkoal
    Relicanth
    Crawdaunt (Following what Smogon says for him)
    Stribra
    Mallarge
    Firrel

UU:
    Tsunall
    Qwilfish
    Dusclops
    Clefable
    Hypno
    Chloreon
    Sandslash
    Muk
    Weezing
    Seraph
    Reefrain
    Primeape
    Cumuloft
    Brontogon
    Tidasale
    Benengil
    Malduval
    Quiisord
    Pyreign
    Dionare
    Grumpig
    Grizlare
    Ampharos
    Bakurge
    Ingero
    Ohmure
    Lanturn
    Dolphure
    Misticade
    Ludicolo
    Slowbro
    Slowking
    Slowpriest
    Tropius
    Drakodo
    Malistril
    Phantasomo
    Cragoyle
    Togetic
    Miltank
    Vilephist
    Blitzfaust
    Tangela (Again, Smogon ranked him as this for the 3rd generation, so I went ahead and followed their lead)
    Exploud
    Phantern
    Iglonia
    Metusk

BL:
    Espeon
    Tauros
    Arcanine
    Polarice
    Persian
    Wolvine
    Wolfrost
    Ninetales
    Arcanine
    Flygon

OU:
    Ferrian
    Tellure
    Kunaiga
    Eaglair
    Umbreon
    Harskrow
    Abyssus
    Coroona
    Destado
    Khaphix
    Cackinge
    Nimbolt
    Frostorm
    Gypseer
    Tagati
    Neichia
    Starmie
    Tellure
    Illumbra
    Kelvoyant
    Zantilidae
    Pythang
    Vaporeon
    Jolteon
    Umbreon
    Serberine
    Sirene
    Forretress
    Scizor

Uber:
    Unicrown
    Typhidna
    Kuranpu
    Jirachi
    Kipporok
    Arowana
    Leoracle
    Raiger
    Smeargle

NFE would be everything else. Of course, this truly is speculation since I can't remember every single Moveset and Stat total.

aut vincere aut mori

I agree with most of that.

Administrator

Persian could potentially make it to top OU. If you think about his pseudo-200 base Special Attack and 115 base Speed, along with Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, it's only lucky there's no Choice Specs.

Dolphure also totally shuts down things with Serenade and Magic Coat, as well as great defenses, and could be a possible strong threat.

Smeargle is definitely not Uber, his stats don't allow it, regardless of his infinite movepool. He suffers strongly from 4 moveslot syndrome.

I'm also interested in your choices of Jirachi and Leoracle for Uber. Jirachi's never been an Uber before, and Leoracle suffers some stat disparity as well as a crippling Ground weakness. I'm not too sure about that. Arowana makes a little more sense, though the dragon's movepool leaves a lot to be desired, his stats do allow him to make several Dragon Dances without much harm to himself. Kunaiga might have something to say about that though.

aut vincere aut mori

Jirachi will probably make uber because it doesn't have as many legendaries to compete with. Its typing is excellent as well, even without the addition of light type immunity.

Administrator

But Jirachi is really quickly shut down by Kunaiga then set up upon, same with Destado, and definitely doesn't like Choice Banded Arcanine Tempers either. Imprison/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Mystic Power Copycat Tellure also provides a big threat, immediately synching any Calm Minds, Imprisoning off Thunderbolt and Mystic Powering up for the finish with a strong Thunderbolt.

aut vincere aut mori

For some reason I thought Jirachi got Ice Beam. Reefrain could probably stop all of those with enough defensive investment, but I haven't really looked at the base stats. Or swicth in Frostorm.

uh-ohs

Bakurge will probably be at least BL since its a good Raiger counter with some special defense investment. It can sweep with 110 attack, or run a rest/sleep talk set. It can run a belly drum-ish set as well.

Administrator

Yes, that's my one idea barring Raiger from immediate Uberage: Bakurge. The problem is that it really needs heavy Sp. Def investment because Flamethrower still deals a large number.

Not your grandma's nerd

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Persian could potentially make it to top OU. If you think about his pseudo-200 base Special Attack and 115 base Speed, along with Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball, it's only lucky there's no Choice Specs.

Dolphure also totally shuts down things with Serenade and Magic Coat, as well as great defenses, and could be a possible strong threat.

Smeargle is definitely not Uber, his stats don't allow it, regardless of his infinite movepool. He suffers strongly from 4 moveslot syndrome.

I'm also interested in your choices of Jirachi and Leoracle for Uber. Jirachi's never been an Uber before, and Leoracle suffers some stat disparity as well as a crippling Ground weakness. I'm not too sure about that. Arowana makes a little more sense, though the dragon's movepool leaves a lot to be desired, his stats do allow him to make several Dragon Dances without much harm to himself. Kunaiga might have something to say about that though.
    Persian: Good point, but I'm still partially uncertain because Malistril literally rips him apart with Dragon Claw. Which reminds me, Malistril might also be too strong for UU (I just now noticed that).

Dolphure: LOL, living proof I forgot to read the full moveset list for him. My mistake.

You're probably also right about Smeargle, but it's just that Smogon rated him as OU, they seemed to underrate a lot of returning Pokemon for the 4th generation, and I can almost see him on an Ubers tier. But yeah, that 4 Move-itis thing is a real annoyance.

Wow, so maybe I'm totally wrong about Jirachi. Maybe not even OU from how everyone's describing him.

I can't quite remember exactly what made me put Leoracle in Ubers, but it must be the STAB Megafriction-Synchronize-Rest combo.

Like I said, this list isn't perfect because I can't remember all the movesets and stats.

aut vincere aut mori

Scyther is one of those pokemon that is an NFE that is not an NFE. He'll likely make UU, since he can still do everything he was able to do in advance. Scizor was BL before DP, and will likely stay there because he lack X Scissor and Bullet Punch.

Administrator

Jirachi will very likely make OU simply due to the fact that it has awesome stats, an awesome ability, and some great uses for them (Wish, Calm Mind, Thunder, Psychic comes to mind), but just has this really glaring ground weakness that's really hard to fix, especially in the event of the physical/special split. It's impossible to cover both physical and special defenses, while keeping enough speed and special attack to sweep.

aut vincere aut mori

Flareon's usage could go up a bit as well because it actually has a good physical fire move now, but it's move pool is still pretty limited.

Jirachi loses its usefulness as an OU lead without stealth rock.

Not your grandma's nerd

EDIT: Never mind what I said here.

v You're right...just now checked Smogon's description for him.
    Last edited by PokePoindexter; 01-05-10 at 04:29 AM.

aut vincere aut mori

He didn't get Flare Blitz, Arcainine did though. The best one Flareon got was Fire Fang.

Not your grandma's nerd

I will attempt to redo the list thus far. The names in ( ) are those who might function in a different tier. Ones in Bold are changes I made myself.
    NU:
    Cascadet
    Jalsida
    Ditto
    Kondria
    Venomoth
    Flareon
    Yanma
    Corsola
    Octillery
    Scorchion
    Arachmare
    Misdreavus
    Torkoal
    Relicanth
    Crawdaunt
    Stribra
    Mallarge
    Firrel

UU:
    Tsunall
    Qwilfish
    Dusclops
    Clefable
    Hypno
    Chloreon
    Sandslash
    Muk
    Weezing
    Seraph
    Reefrain
    Primeape
    Cumuloft
    Brontogon
    Tidasale
    Benengil
    Malduval
    Quiisord
    Pyreign
    Dionare
    Grumpig
    Grizlare
    Ampharos
    Bakurge
    Ingero
    Ohmure
    Lanturn
    Misticade
    Ludicolo
    Slowbro
    Slowking
    Slowpriest
    Tropius
    Drakodo
    Phantasomo
    Cragoyle
    Togetic
    Miltank
    Vilephist
    Blitzfaust
    Tangela
    Exploud
    Phantern
    Iglonia
    Metusk
    Purior
    (Flareon)

BL:
    Espeon
    Tauros
    Arcanine
    Polarice
    Wolfrost
    Ninetales
    Arcanine
    Malistril
    Flygon
    Kelvoyant

OU:
    Ferrian
    Tellure
    Eaglair
    Umbreon
    Harskrow
    Abyssus
    Coroona
    Destado
    Khaphix
    Cackinge
    Nimbolt
    Frostorm
    Gypseer
    Tagati
    Neichia
    Starmie
    Tellure
    Illumbra
    (Kelvoyant)
    Zantilidae
    Pythang
    Vaporeon
    Jolteon
    Umbreon
    Serberine
    Sirene
    Forretress
    Scizor
    Persian
    Dolphure
    Jirachi
    Leoracle
    Smeargle
    Wolvine
    Raiger

Ubers:
    Unicrown
    Typhidna
    Kuranpu
    Kipporok
    Arowana
    Kunaiga

Some changes I made myself:
    *Moved Kunaiga to Ubers. He literally outruns almost everything there and has some nice type coverage to go with it.
    *Moved Malistril to BL. He's way too powerful for UU, but can still get massacred in Standard.
    *Moved Wolvine to OU because of the Night Vision ability, making him good for Abyssus-Eclipse teams.
    *Moved Kelvoyant down to BL--I overestimated his Speed big time. I did list him on OU as a possible addition, though.
    *Also put Purior on the list (he was absent before). I've started him in UU thus far.

I was also an inch away from moving Ninetales to OU, but I just remembered he would need to have Night Vision to pull off the possible moveset I saw for him (Fire Blast, Hypnosis/Will-O-Wisp [or both], and either Umbrage, Fire Bath, or Nightfall itself).
    Last edited by PokePoindexter; 01-05-10 at 11:28 PM.

uh-ohs

I still think raiger will make ubers. Most light types get crushed by its electric attacks him and bakurge can be dealt with by switching in ferrian or tellure.

aut vincere aut mori

It's too bad UU has so many water types. Pyreign might have been good there. Is Aerodynamic really good enough to put Eaglair in OU? Maybe if you could baton pass a swords dance or something.

EDIT: I don't think Gryphonic is on there. I haven't looked at him real close though, so I wouldn't know where to put him.

Not your grandma's nerd

Actually, Destado's probably the best Bakurge counter--immunities to both his STAB's help immensely.

Wow, I missed quite a fair few number of Pokemon. I'd say Gryphonic would probably be at least BL if not Standard--I believe he outruns everyone else in the Topaz Dex (barring Eaglair), and he can dent some things pretty heavily with Base 95 Attack. Similar story with Eaglair, only he also gets Calm Wind to negate any weather conditions.

The reason UU has a bunch of Water-types is because they almost always get eclipsed by Dolphure, Starmie, and Vaporeon; the one possible exception to this is Reefrain, who is immune to Electric attacks and is much more Physical-based. However, his BST still isn't good enough to break him out of UU (A Floral Storm from Modest Chloreon always lands a OHKO if I calculated the stats correctly).

aut vincere aut mori

Is there a program to calculate damage, or would I have to do it manually?

Not your grandma's nerd

Marriland's website has a Damage Calculator. I did do the calculations manually, though.

Actually, the info about Modest Chloreon also applies for Neutral-nature Chloreon. Just checked the calculator myself.
    Last edited by PokePoindexter; 01-06-10 at 07:48 AM.

aut vincere aut mori

This isn't for topaz persay, but for the Orange Islands revamps, my versions of Ferrian, Tellure, and Ingero are awesome.

+ Reply to Thread