+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: need overworld sprite of main character

Administrator

Default need overworld sprite of main character

Badara has begun full time development of the Topaz demo. For now he's working on other stuff but we'd like to start developing the overworld part of the game ASAP as that will take the longest.
    Last edited by zeroality; 04-04-10 at 08:13 AM.

Administrator

MewLoverEX made the set recently.

Administrator

It's a girl?

Valued Topaz Contributor

We never decided on which of the male sprites to use, so only the female was finalized. We had a few different suggestions for the male, but I don't think we ever really chose. A few suggestions were and .

Administrator

Also we're going to need Vincent, Bradley, Froy and Therma overworlds, just walking ones.

Valued Topaz Contributor

Will work on them, and try to have a few done tonight.

uh-ohs

What about the professor dudette? I thought she was walking around at some point.

Administrator

Yes, her too.

Administrator

Now that Badara is back, we need to finalize a male overworld and get the rest of the overworlds for the demo done.

MewLover can you please do the male? Badara was very impressed with your female overworld.
    Hen: oh wow the female sprite looks really natural
    Hen: it has a spring in its step too it works great
    So far I have Willow, Therma, and this female main character. Are there others done?

Willow

Therma

Heroine

Valued Topaz Contributor

Those are all I have done so far. I'll get the male done today.

Thats what she said

what can I do? I made the Saint Nick, so which ones still need to be done?
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Valued Topaz Contributor

Guys, the overworlds are taking a bit longer than I intended them to, as I haven't been home this evening. I'll do my best to get them done tonight, or at the very latest, before I leave tomorrow. But they will be finished before I go, you have my word.

aut vincere aut mori

We won't need the St. Nick stuff for a long time. I believe that Froy, the first Gym Leader, still needs OWs though. Maybe you should try your hand at that one.

Thats what she said

yah, I know we wont need him for a bit, but since I know "how" to make one, are there others we need? Do we have a Froy battle sprite?

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Valued Topaz Contributor

This is what I have so far:

I apologize, I have to leave soon. If I can, I'll try to get more done. But if not, they will be posted immediately upon my return. [16 are done so far, though.]

EDIT: Quinn, this is Froy:

Thats what she said

THAT SPRITE IS "HOT"! Why isn't it up on the trainer sprite area? Does he walk at all?
    Edit: Well this sucks! The one time I need those overworld sprite naked looking things, I can't find them.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-22-10 at 05:51 PM.

Administrator

Hey, great job! Thanks for taking the time to do it, we really appreciate it.

IB, can we use that for the demo? It's small enough that details could be brushed up on the main sprite, which I chose out of the two choices for her to base that off of. Badara is ready to start working and that's one of the main aspects of the game, right from the beginning. We have the female and need the male ready for the demo.

I'm really liking that overworld sheet. It's reminiscent of old school Pokemon.

Administrator

Sure, we can use that for the demo. One of my priorities when I get back from camping will be to brush up the sprite so that it looks acceptably different from the trainers it's spliced from, but yeah, definitely go ahead. Quinn, if you'd like to do something pretty simple and effective, you can try adapting what MewLoverEX has done so far so that there's running, at the very least.

And yes, I love that Froy sprite. There's also Therma and Hanzo, I believe they weren't put up on the site because of stealing concerns.

Thats what she said

so what is wrong with my Froy? I heard a possible reason, but I just really wanna know. If it can be fixed, it will.

Administrator

Quinn, you keep cross-posting between threads and it can get confusing as hell. Let's try to keep discussions relevant to threads - as such, that Froy post should have gone in your trainer sprites thread.

Thats what she said

so, is that what was wrong with it? Being in a different place? (I would hope thats not the reason)

Administrator

No, I cleared that up in another post but please let's try to keep discussions contained to their relevant threads.

Thats what she said

yah, I read that. Sorry to get off topic. I'm guessing I should post it here, with the other overworlds tomorrow right?

Thats what she said

Although he isn't a "hero" character, I'm guessing I should post him here, since he is still main.

anyways. Revamp. Edit to hair, and recolor.

Vicious cycle

The Froy icons still remind me too much of that Scott guy from Emerald. You need to make him thinner. The sprite's also kinda bright overall, might want to darken his clothes a bit.

Edit: Also, the design for the male protagonist seems awfully plain, I can easily mistake him for a generic youngster. The other design, with a little more work, would look more unique.
    Last edited by neon.Barnacle; 06-28-10 at 06:49 PM.

Administrator

I thought about brushing up MewLoverEX and my collab male sprite to look less plain, but thought it would be better just to get something more original done. So here's two versions of X-Antibody's one, do what you will with them.

The main things I did were:
    - palette swap him so he wasn't so hard to see, increasing contrast. I tried using yellow and green but it didn't work out, this is the best I could find but we've got lots of recolourers around here so feel free to continue to mess around with his colours.
    - clean him up in general, reducing the number of unnecessary black pixels, reducing the number of shades
    - change his hat since I didn't find it was working, you need to be either really pro or working with a bigger sprite to implement that style of hat in a satisfactory fashion, and the thought of a young man setting off to take the world in a bowler hat made me smile.
    - shortened his hair and made it less like how I imagine Vincent's would look in a Rocket uniform
    - turned the kerchief into a small scarf, since the kerchief was getting out of place and looked like an offside collar overtop the backpack straps when I lightened up the shirt
    - changed the hand, which looks a lot better at 100% than at 200% (which the game is going to be played at ): ).

Vicious cycle

Left arm is kinda...short. Yeah, that's the main concern. Something's off with the shading as well, but it might also be due to the fact that his outfit is really bright. Mind if I take a shot at it?

Administrator

The left arm is meant to be bent at the elbow and jutting out towards the viewer. Sure, go ahead. Note the "do what you will with them"

Valued Topaz Contributor

Do you want me to finish the set I've started, or wait and see if we use the new version?

Better Than That Guy

I say finish one for the demo, every little helps. If we go for the other one in the full game then so what?

Vicious cycle

Finally finished my edit. Resprited the arms, fixed the face and changed some colors around. Also removed those silly ribbons on his boot. Thoughts?

"We nicknamed her Bean"

I wrote out a list of things, then decided to try and edit it myself.

-Shirt changed colour to the same as the boots, I didn't really like the genericness of the white.
    -Arm shading changed and looks more accurate to his pose IMO
    -Added some of the lighter shade of the hat brim
    -Gave the right boot a more defined heel
    Last edited by Reliability; 07-11-10 at 03:43 PM.

Thats what she said

I like the one IB has, with the head tilted...but other than that...looks fine to me.

Vicious cycle

Reli, I like everything you did except for the shirt recolor. Granted, I didn't like the cyan on mine either. It could be a problem with the lack of details, though I don't know what else we could add.

Secret Agent

I like this best, except the arms could be longer.

Thats what she said

you could add some more contrast to the shirt. Darker shadow, maybe a hit lighter highlights. give it the fuzzy shading look...yeah.

Administrator

I'm for the boot ribbons, as they give a clean colour break between the boots and the pants, accessorize a bit (which our trainers often severely lack), aren't THAT silly and are well sprited.

Eighty More Posts

hmmm... i got the male default overworld done if we are still using the one posted on trainer page

Administrator

Sorry, we aren't! Also, that's very clearly Gary Oak and we're looking for scratch sprites. Maybe try something simpler?

Eighty More Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImmunityBow View Post
    Sorry, we aren't! Also, that's very clearly Gary Oak and we're looking for scratch sprites. Maybe try something simpler?
    It isn't Gary Oak but what sprite are we using?
    Edit: BTW it's Gary's head while a stole the body outline from D/P default male and custom filled it (I usually need one part of a sprite to create one, it's just a problem i have. Really it's because it helps me get the light direction but that's off topic)

+ Reply to Thread