+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Our Icons

エックス 抗体

Default Our Icons

I have noticed that the Icons of Topaz are very much inconsistent. This raises a slight problem as when a player is looking at their menu with say, a Grizlare and a Wolvine there will be a noticeable difference between them. Grizlare is bigger, for one point, and its animation has it punching rather than the usual 'bob up and down'. And since Topaz is made with Poccil's Essentials I can only assume that the resolution is bigger, so these inconsistencies are much more noticeable. The difference is easy to tell, go to the Repository and you can see that there are what I call "exaggerated head, small body" styled icons, and "pretty much smaller versions of the front" styled icons. Examples of the first kind are Icons 1-9, and examples of the second kind are 28-40.
    From what I can see it's mainly the size difference that's the problem, and from that I've determined that there are around 22 (Sirene and stuff count because they can be easily edited into this style, however Grizlare and Arachmare and etc. are completely different) of the first kind (which in my opinion is closer in terms of style to the official Pokemon style) and 26 (not including Tyrannigon64's as I don't they're approved yet, but I think that they're in this style) of the second (which is more detailed and I like it, but is different from official style). The numbers are pretty close so it's time for the whole of Topaz to decide really.

We either go with the cramped, tiny 22 and change the other 26 into this style and make the rest of the Topazmon this way, or vice versa.

Or it's isn't that simple, because if we go for the option of using the more detailed style, which 26 icons are currently in, then other than just the 22 icons and the rest of the Topazmon, we'll need to make new icons for all returning Pokemon from Gen 1-3 to match.

Maybe some people don't think this is as big a flaw as I do, but I'm pretty much ocd about these things and want to get it sorted :c

I believe the difference is pretty clear.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Administrator

I do prefer the exaggerated head, small body ones, but please understand that we'll take anything that looks acceptable until something comes up to replace it, and so Shiny Metagross and Tyrannigon64's icons are fine until someone makes something more people prefer. Stylistic consistency, while nice, can sometimes take ages to actually do, especially when accepting sprites from more than one spriter (and that has its own slew of problems itself.) If you want to replace the 26 you feel are stylistically incorrect, feel free. I'm not sure how many people will be able to help you, but if you give some kind of comprehensive tutorial you might get some help.

エックス 抗体

Actually I myself was leaning towards the more detailed icons. They look a lot nicer and gives you a lot more freedom, and still shouldn't take too long. There should only be around 70 or so (lol only) returning Pokemon so if I could handle those all alone I can leave Tyrannigon64 to do his stuff. The main quirk I have about fangames is that rather than take advantage of the fact it's played on a PC, meaning a lot more options graphics wise among other things that they still stick towards the limited style of the gba/ds, with their 16 colour palettes and small overworlds/tiles and things. I'm not sure how difficult it could be to fully make it into a 3D game, but we do have the space to create more detailed sprites and other things, while still keeping the main system of Pokemon games (overworld map, battle system, etc.)

But I guess we may be aiming for nostalgia here, so I don't know. I'll get to work on a tutorial or something if there are more opinions that lean towards keeping everything looking as if this was a real game released by Nintendo for a console.
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

Spriter and Gym designer

I think it depends on what everyone else thinks. I'd be happy to attempt the other style of icons if that's what people want, but I'm not sure how it will turn out.

Administrator

I do prefer the chibi versions since they have their own style, look professional, and are a little more dynamic, but I wouldn't object if everyone prefers the bigger ones.

Secret Agent

I agree. I think it's a cool looking style, but if more people wanted the more detailed kind, I would be fine with that.

エックス 抗体

... I guess I'll work on some sort of guide or tutorial first thing tomorrow then~ C:
    Previously PapaLuLu27.

+ Reply to Thread