+ Reply to Thread

Thread: We need donations for a vBulletin license upgrade

Administrator

Default We need donations for a vBulletin license upgrade

We need $175 to purchase a series v4 license from vBulletin in order to have access to future version upgrades. You can visit our <a href="http://www.pokemontopaz.net/donate/">donation page</a> if you would like to chip in via a debit/credit card or Paypal account.

Due to difficulties and potential problems of accepting money through the mail or other means, this will be our only method of soliciting donations. Some of you may be wondering why this is necessary, so I will take the time to explain. Feel free to skip the lengthy clarification.

We have had this vBulletin license since the days that Pokemon Topaz was hosted on PokeRealm. I originally purchased a leased vBulletin license for $80, with the help of donations, which was only good for one year. After my departure from PokeRealm, BlackTigress paid the full amount of $160 to upgrade it to an owned license.

However, this license was a v3.x series license - meaning it was only good for vBulletin version 3. There was a fee of $30 per year to have access to upgrades, which BlackTigress paid a couple of times. The last time it was paid was on July 24th of 2009, before version 4 came out.

The folks at Jelsoft were gracious enough to allow their version 3 license holders access to vBulletin version 4 upgrades for free - for the remaining duration of their eligibility for upgrades. Our access to upgrades will expire on July 24th, 2010 - next month.

"Well why can't we just stay on 4.0.3?", you may be thinking. The answer is because of two important reasons. One is that we won't have access to the eventual 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc versions which will likely add new features or upgrades of existing features that would be greatly desirable to have. The second reason, more important than the first, is that security fixes are only released for the latest version of vBulletin. If there is an exploit found in, say, 4.0.8 that also affects 4.0.3 then only a fix for 4.0.8 will be available. Users running 4.0.3 would have no way of fixing this exploit and would be very vulnerable.

So now you see why this is necessary, and why we need your help. Thanks for reading, and hopefully we'll get enough donations to get this done by next month!

RPG Administrator

well, i can't donate any, i'm sorry. (is only 16, with no bank accounts, and parents probably won't donate) But good luck, and hopefully, others can!
    NINJA! <-- Click here for Profile.
    Over here is the thread.--> ADVENCHA'!

Better Than That Guy

Same :/ I could through a SMS ticket system, now that all my friends have abandoned me I've got enough money to donate a bit.

Valued Topaz Contributor

Will talk to my mom about donating via her Paypal account if I reimburse her.

aut vincere aut mori

Hopefully I can swing donating a bit. Maybe I should do some odd jobs or something.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Black Temple Gaurdian 750 View Post
    Same :/ I could through a SMS ticket system, now that all my friends have abandoned me I've got enough money to donate a bit.
    If you can't donate via credit/debit or Paypal towards the donate button then it's fine. It's too complicated and time consuming to set up other methods of donation.

Thats what she said

I cant do too much, but I'll see what bit I can.
    DO U LIKE WATER????? then u like 75% of me.

Water type is the god of all. Johto will always be the best region ever (though topaz's Caldera & Kirant will be 2nd)

Still No MIDI Keyboard

vB4 isn't that expensive, if I can get a paypal hooked up to my bank account which hopefully still has the $230 in it. (I'll kill the idiotic RBC people if it isn't. :P)

I would help but sadly I am only a 15 year old with no credit card, and my parents don't donate to websites so... sorry.. I wish I could help.....
    Wait... Wut?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STT View Post
    vB4 isn't that expensive, if I can get a paypal hooked up to my bank account which hopefully still has the $230 in it. (I'll kill the idiotic RBC people if it isn't. :P)
    If you have a debit card associated with the bank account, you can use that. If not, it shouldn't be difficult to link a Paypal to it although it will take a couple of days to get the account verified then another few days to transfer funds from the account to Paypal.

It's a pain but anything you can contribute would really help out!

I understand that most of you can't donate and we already appreciate what you do for Topaz so no worries.

+ Reply to Thread